Apr 3, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟2,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Classes haven't even started yet and I can tell it's going to be really rough trying to be a Christian in college. I'm currently at a program for freshman that kind of has the theme "Character counts" and we just got done watching two comedians making jokes about premarital sex, inappropriate contentography, and other things that didn't sit real well with me. Obviously this isn't HS, I never expected it to be, but I thought that at a program sponsored by the college dedicated partially to making ethical decisions (albeit in a very morally relativistic manner) would be a little different.

I also went to Mass at a local church and I have never been more confused. About 3/4 of the congregation kneeled for the Eucharistic Prayer and the rest kneeled. A woman gave the homily while the priest sat in the front pew, and there were a few other liturgical problems. The parish didn't strike me as the center of Catholic Orthodoxy in the Saginaw Diocese, but it did have kneelers and a crucifix. They also used valid matter for the Eucharistic bread (I have doubts about the church on campus).

Luckily, I've met a lot of really cool people and I think I'll get along well with my roommates and a lot of the people in my hall. I'm sure things will be manageable, but it will be difficult...if you guys could, say a prayer for all college students, especially incoming freshman, that would be really really really appreciated.

There are lots of opportunities to sin while away at school, fortunately I've noticed there are lots of ways to grow in grace as well.

God bless you guys,

Brad

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
As a guy who's not been out of college too long, let me tell you there's a lot of junk that goes on, but also a lot of good. I personally stayed away from alcohol because like St. Augustine says, "Total abstinance is easier than perfect moderation." Anyway, the on-campus Catholic church was also not very good in regards to liturgical abuse, supporting homosexuality, supporting female clergy, and supporting democratization of the Church. Ugh. Luckily there was a faithful parish down the street.

Anyway, with all the immorality in college, my faith was strengthened even more because I found like minded Catholics to hang with. It was finding refuge from the bad stuff that brought me closer to Christ. So, because of that, my college experience was absolutely amazing. It was a great growth period for my faith and I made friends for life :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, and I got my degree :D

Reactions: pax
Upvote 0

pax

Veteran
Apr 3, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟2,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
QuantaCura said:
Anyway, with all the immorality in college, my faith was strengthened even more because I found like minded Catholics to hang with. It was finding refuge from the bad stuff that brought me closer to Christ. So, because of that, my college experience was absolutely amazing. It was a great growth period for my faith and I made friends for life :thumbsup:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. That's what I'm kind of hoping for.

Oh yeah, and I got my degree :D

Yeah, hopefully that part of college will work out too.

Upvote 0

Kasia

Pray for our troops!
May 31, 2005
San Diego
✟19,576.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, I went through a similar experience my first year (I'm a 3rd year now). It's a challenge to stick to your morals when the rest of the student body is so liberal to the point that they go around doing immoral things without thinking twice, but it can be done. Find some good people to be friends with that have their heads on straight (they don't necessarily need to be Catholic, although that is usually easier) and it'll all be a lot easier.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
I just recently started getting interested in the parish near the university. I went to a CSA dinner one night, and I didn't really like it. All the students seemed really flighty, and I couldn't detect a whole lot of piety among them, not that I'm perfect. I guess a part of it is that I have never really fit in with most people anyway, but I'm having a hard time fitting in even with Catholic students, mostly because of the "fun" factor that's always present at their dinners and such. None of it seems very reverent, and reverent is what I'm looking for. I don't know, it just doesn't fit me at all. :(

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.