So the Charlotte Catholic school has set the meeting for Wed.

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Exactly and it will get worse

Indeed it well. Christian need to stop being shocked. What various groups do, is that they insert themselves in various institutions, in this case the Catholic schools. They than start making demands that the Catholic schools change to meet their worlview, and they will not stop.

At Boston college they were incensed that the college decided to put crucifixes back in the classroom. They exerted all kinds of pressure through the media and pressure groups. This is how they operate. They quietly enter into the group or, church or school and they attempt to conquer from within. They are often shrill and very judgmental.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Michie said:
I suggest that people read the commentary from the article I posted in the OP.

Here is one comment:

As I suspected. It's not that she stated Catholic teaching, it's that she deviated from it in some way. What exactly she said is still unclear. But this parent's letter is very helpful in clearing up the situation.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I suggest that people read the commentary from the article I posted in the OP.

Here is one comment:

Thank you for posting that. I shouldn't be surprised at how quickly people will pass judgement without facts. Some cowards blame every unfortunate event on Muslims, some Catholic conservatives accuse President Clinton of being a pedophile without evidence, some Catholic liberals speak of abortion as if it isn't first among evils. I grow weary of liars who claim Christ.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As I suspected. It's not that she stated Catholic teaching, it's that she deviated from it in some way. What exactly she said is still unclear. But this parent's letter is very helpful in clearing up the situation.
We'll just have to wait & see.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for posting that. I shouldn't be surprised at how quickly people will pass judgement without facts. Some cowards blame every unfortunate event on Muslims, some Catholic conservatives accuse President Clinton of being a pedophile without evidence, some Catholic liberals speak of abortion as if it isn't first among evils. I grow weary of liars who claim Christ.
Jesus is their Master. They'll have to answer to Him.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is their Master. They'll have to answer to Him.

Is he? It isn't apparent in observation. I don't see the sort of obedience one would expect be given to one's Master. I hope you're right, but as time goes on it gets clearer and clearer that Rome and the USCCB aren't forming our collective opinions, greed and hate and jealousy is. I expect nothing from Catholics but to believe what they are taught by those sent by Christ's Church to teach them, that is all.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian

Lets get the facts and not allow this to be an opportuntiy to attack those of OBOB we dislike.

I want to hear what the sister said. And if what she said adheres to Catholic teaching, then those who disagree might want to move their children to a school that mirrors their morals.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is he? It isn't apparent in observation. I don't see the sort of obedience one would expect be given to one's Master. I hope you're right, but as time goes on it gets clearer and clearer that Rome and the USCCB aren't forming our collective opinions, greed and hate and jealousy is. I expect nothing from Catholics but to believe what they are taught by those sent by Christ's Church to teach them, that is all.
If they claim Him I have no other choice but to believe them. We can judge their fruits but we cannot judge their faith. We are all individuals struggling with different experiences. God knows their heart & see's what we can't.

The things you mentioned are not good fruits though. We can only judge that.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Charlotte diocesan, school officials apologize for controversial presentation on homosexuality

Two weeks after a Nashville Dominican nun spoke to students at one of North Carolina’s largest Catholic schools and delivered a presentation critical of homosexuality, diocesan and school officials offered apologies at a meeting attended by an estimated 900 parents.

“Many said that” the first part of Sister Jane Dominic Laurel’s presentation at Charlotte Catholic High School “was excellent and fully in line with the Catholic faith,” said Father Roger Arnsparger, the Diocese of Charlotte’s vicar of education, as quoted on the diocesan newspaper’s website.

“There was unfortunately a misunderstanding about the content of the last part of the presentation,” he continued. “In that part, I understand that Sister used data from the Linacre Quarterly, a reputable journal, and from other sources. That data can be debated and, in fact, is debated back and forth by scholars who are researching the areas of human sexuality. Because of the ongoing debate, it would have been better if these studies and data were omitted from the presentation to the students.”

The school’s dean of students and two assistant principals apologized for not informing parents about the presentation beforehand. (The school’s principal was placed on leave in March amid reports of mishandling of funds.) “Parents should have been better informed,” said David Hains, spokesman for the Diocese of Charlotte, according to the Charlotte Observer.

At the parent meeting, “there were comments from parents who supported the school and the assembly, but most of the comments were critical,” the diocesan newspaper reported. “Many parents’ emotions boiled over, with arguments even carrying over into the school’s parking lot when the meeting ended after two hours.”

“Two observers called the meeting’s climate ‘disrespectful’ and ‘hate-filled,’” the report added. Parents who sought to defend the priest responsible for the nun’s speaking engagement “were shouted down by other people.”

The Charlotte Observer reported that the Nashville Dominicans have canceled Sister Laurel’s speaking engagement at the Diocese of Charlotte’s upcoming youth conference.
“They felt like this just wasn’t a good time for the sister to speak again in the diocese,” said Hains.

Angry parents condemn Charlotte Catholic student assembly on sexuality (Catholic News Herald)

Nearly 1,000 attend Charlotte Catholic meeting on nun’s speech (Charlotte Observer)

Controversial nun cancels May speech in Charlotte diocese (Charlotte Observer)

Anger at Charlotte Catholic school after speaker criticizes homosexuality (CWN, 3/28)

Catholic school news roundup: Seattle, Charlotte, North Dakota (CWN, 3/7)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Charlotte diocesan, school officials apologize for controversial presentation on homosexuality

Two weeks after a Nashville Dominican nun spoke to students at one of North Carolina’s largest Catholic schools and delivered a presentation critical of homosexuality, diocesan and school officials offered apologies at a meeting attended by an estimated 900 parents.

“Many said that” the first part of Sister Jane Dominic Laurel’s presentation at Charlotte Catholic High School “was excellent and fully in line with the Catholic faith,” said Father Roger Arnsparger, the Diocese of Charlotte’s vicar of education, as quoted on the diocesan newspaper’s website.

“There was unfortunately a misunderstanding about the content of the last part of the presentation,” he continued. “In that part, I understand that Sister used data from the Linacre Quarterly, a reputable journal, and from other sources. That data can be debated and, in fact, is debated back and forth by scholars who are researching the areas of human sexuality. Because of the ongoing debate, it would have been better if these studies and data were omitted from the presentation to the students.”

The school’s dean of students and two assistant principals apologized for not informing parents about the presentation beforehand. (The school’s principal was placed on leave in March amid reports of mishandling of funds.) “Parents should have been better informed,” said David Hains, spokesman for the Diocese of Charlotte, according to the Charlotte Observer.

At the parent meeting, “there were comments from parents who supported the school and the assembly, but most of the comments were critical,” the diocesan newspaper reported. “Many parents’ emotions boiled over, with arguments even carrying over into the school’s parking lot when the meeting ended after two hours.”

“Two observers called the meeting’s climate ‘disrespectful’ and ‘hate-filled,’” the report added. Parents who sought to defend the priest responsible for the nun’s speaking engagement “were shouted down by other people.”

The Charlotte Observer reported that the Nashville Dominicans have canceled Sister Laurel’s speaking engagement at the Diocese of Charlotte’s upcoming youth conference.
“They felt like this just wasn’t a good time for the sister to speak again in the diocese,” said Hains.

Angry parents condemn Charlotte Catholic student assembly on sexuality (Catholic News Herald)

Nearly 1,000 attend Charlotte Catholic meeting on nun’s speech (Charlotte Observer)

Controversial nun cancels May speech in Charlotte diocese (Charlotte Observer)

Anger at Charlotte Catholic school after speaker criticizes homosexuality (CWN, 3/28)

Catholic school news roundup: Seattle, Charlotte, North Dakota (CWN, 3/7)

Upvote 0