Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
A common Professional Creationist tactic is to quote-mine from evolutionary biologists to try and show that the experts have all kinds of doubts about evolution and that the theory of evolution is full of holes. The formula goes like this: Go through pages of books and dozens of papers and try to find something that you can take out of context to make it sound like the author was saying something he/she never intended. Then post it on a "Creation Ministry" website for all the flock to read and cut and paste to a forum like this one to show how poor the theory is. This constitutes "evidence" against evolution.

While it is obvious to most people that such a tactic is deceitful and misleading, Creationist here do not seem to understand that. This, I have decided to create my own little quote-mine of comments made by Professional creationists/IDers to show that these leaders of the Creationist/I.D. movement doubt their own ideas and that Creationism/I.D. is full of holes. As one of own own Creationists here recently said, The Quotes Speak for Themselves. Here goes:

Here, Creationist Icon, the Hydraulic Engineer Henry Morris admits that a 6,000 year old universe is absurd :

“If the stars were made on the fourth day, and if the days of creation were literal days, then the stars must be several thousand years old. How, then, can many of the stars be millions or billions of light years distant since it would take correspondingly millions or billions of years for their light to reach the earth?”
-Henry Morris (1972) The Remarkable Birth of Planet Earth, p 61-62

Here he admits that evolution is a Law of Nature:

“Continuous evolution is a universal law of nature…”
-Henry Morris (1967) Evolution and the Modern Christian. p.34

Here he admits that index fossils are an accurate way to determine the age of rocks:

“That is, since evolution always proceeds in the same way all over the world at the same time, index fossils representing a given age … constitute infallible indicators of the geological age in which they are found. This makes good sense…”
-Henry Morris (1977) ICR Impact Series, no. 48.

Here he admits that theistic evolution is a perfectly fine belief:

“People can believe in theistic evolution (or progressive creation) and still believe in the Bible. They feel that the evolutionary ages of geology can … be accommodated in Genesis, by means (usually) of the ’local flood’ interpretation of the Noachian Deluge and the ‘day/age’ interpretataion of God’s week of creation.”
-Henry Morris (1980) Acts & Facts, March issue cover letter

Here Creationist Robert Ginskey admits to the fundamental flaws with a 6,000 year old earth:

“The fact is, fundamentalists face a real problem in trying to squeeze dinosaurs into 6,000 years of earth history. The facts just don’t allow it, even when Noah’s Flood is invoked as an explanation.”
-Robert Ginskey (1977) The Plain Truth , May, p 30-31

Here Creationist Geologist/Paleontologist Kurt Wise admits the truth about transitional fossils:

“It’s a pain in the neck. It fits the evolutionary predictions quite well.” (discussing a fossil sequence showing reptile to mammal evolution)
-Kurt Wise (2007) The New York Times Magazine, Nov 25, p34.

Here, Intelligent Design Icon and Lawyer Philip Johnson admits that science is the only reliable path to knowledge:

“Science, which studies only the natural, is our only reliable path to knowledge.”
-Philip Johnson (1995) Reason in the Balance, p 40.

Here Old Earth Creationist and Astronomer Hugh Ross talks about the limited usefullness of religion:

“A mechanical chain of events determines everything. Moarality and religion may be temporarily useful but are ultimately irrelevant.”
-Hugh Ross (1993) The Creator and the Cosmos

Here I.D Icon Philip Johnson admits that evolution does not equate with atheism:

“The blind watchmaker thesis makes it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist by supplying the necessary creation story. It does not make it obligatory to be an atheist, because one can imagine a Creator who works through natural selection.”
-Philip Johnson (1995) Reason in the Balance, p 77

Here Creationist Geologist Andrew Snelling admits that granites taking millions of years to form:

“Especially the huge masses of granites outcropping in the Yosemite area, must surely have taken millions of years.”
-Andrew A. Snelling (2008) Rapid Melting of Source Rocks, and Rapid Magma Intrusions and Cooling, Answers Research Journal, 1: 11-25

Here Creationist Icon Kent “Dr. Dino” Hovind admits that both deep time and evolution are true:

"The Earth is billions of years old. The geologic column is the way to interpret it, and Charles Darwin's evolution is right."
-Kent Hovind (1996) Unmasking the False Religion of Evolution, Chapter 4

The End.

sbvera13

Mar 6, 2007
✟10,490.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wish I could start a poll within a thread.

1. "But it's not the same thing..."

2. "Evolutionists are just displaying their own lack of standards/bias/dogma/lies/etc again..."

3. " ... " (thread is totally ignored)

4. quote by quote refutation (note, must be combined with #1 to avoid shooting selves in foot)

Upvote 0

ChordatesLegacy

Jun 21, 2007
✟17,761.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Here’s a couple more

Here Andrew A. Snelling admits certain strata belongs in the Upper Proterozic >550 million years old and Paleozoic to Mesozoic 550-250 million years old:

These strata sequences have been variously designated as Upper Proterozoic (uppermost Precambrian) to Paleozoic and Paleozoic to Mesozoic
Andrew A. Snelling (2008) Rapid Melting of Source Rocks, and Rapid Magma Intrusions and Cooling

Here Andrew A. Snelling admits to granites taking millions of years to form

Especially the huge masses of granites outcropping in the Yosemite area, must surely have taken millions of years.
Andrew A. Snelling (2008) Rapid Melting of Source Rocks, and Rapid Magma Intrusions and Cooling

Reactions: Split Rock
Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Wish I could start a poll within a thread.

1. "But it's not the same thing..."

2. "Evolutionists are just displaying their own lack of standards/bias/dogma/lies/etc again..."

3. " ... " (thread is totally ignored)

4. quote by quote refutation (note, must be combined with #1 to avoid shooting selves in foot)

So far it seems to be #3... But that's OK. Now that I have my own Creationists' Quote Mine, I will post it every time a creationist posts a quote mine from a Creation Ministry web site. :)

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Here’s a couple more

Here Andrew A. Snelling admits certain strata belongs in the Upper Proterozic >550 million years old and Paleozoic to Mesozoic 550-250 million years old:

These strata sequences have been variously designated as Upper Proterozoic (uppermost Precambrian) to Paleozoic and Paleozoic to Mesozoic

Here Andrew A. Snelling admits to granites taking millions of years to form

Especially the huge masses of granites outcropping in the Yosemite area, must surely have taken millions of years.

Thanks! The first one seems a little too vauge. "have been variously designated," does not mean Snelling is agreeing. However, the second quote looks damning enough. Is this source a book or a paper?

*Added in edit* I found it.. it is from the new "Answers Research Journal!" Thanks again, I will add it to the list.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Here's a couple from everybody's favourite, Kent Hovind.

"The Earth is billions of years old. The geologic column is the way to interpret it, and Charles Darwin's evolution is right." - A transcript of Kent Hovind's early sermons circa 1996.

"Evolution is true, there is no Creator..." - Hovind 1999 Seminar Transcript 1b

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jan 31, 2008
Middle Tennessee
✟7,796.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I'm currently engaged in an email debate with my younger brother (a Jehovah's Witness) regarding evolution. He sent me a book to read which is essentially nothing but quote mining. No need to give examples, everyone here knows the drill.

I'm trying to get him to acknowledge what the Watchtower is doing by using such tactics, but so far, I can't get him to concede.

Upvote 0

AintNoMonkey

Jan 24, 2008
Midwest US
✟16,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm currently engaged in an email debate with my younger brother (a Jehovah's Witness) regarding evolution. He sent me a book to read which is essentially nothing but quote mining. No need to give examples, everyone here knows the drill.

I'm trying to get him to acknowledge what the Watchtower is doing by using such tactics, but so far, I can't get him to concede.

Good luck. To him, it's solid science and good writing. People of Faith see what they want.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Why not show him this thread?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Here's a couple from everybody's favourite, Kent Hovind.

"The Earth is billions of years old. The geologic column is the way to interpret it, and Charles Darwin's evolution is right." - A transcript of Kent Hovind's early sermons circa 1996.

"Evolution is true, there is no Creator..." - Hovind 1999 Seminar Transcript 1b

Are these online somewhere?

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Reactions: Split Rock
Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0