Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I have a question...I’ve heard that the story of the adulteress woman isn’t in the oldest manuscripts available and scholars believe it was a later addition by a scribe..... if this is true how was it authored by Jesus? Wouldn’t that show that everything isn’t from God in the Bible?

If this is true then it was not authored by Jesus. But this only shows that the sections we can demonstrate are not original are not divinely inspired.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think it means that.

Normally, it means someone who is guided by the Bible rather than social convention, human religious theories, or other "sacred" writings deemed to be the equal of the Bible.

It may be seen as a self-congratulatory term, but that's separate from the meaning of the term itself.
‘Normally' it means someone who is guided by the Spirit and not the letter. IOW, the spiritual application and not according to human understanding.

I really find no contradiction whatsoever in the spiritual application.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One part of the Bible commands circumcision as part of God's covenant (Leviticus 12:3). Another part of the Bible (Acts 15) does not require Gentiles to be circumcised in order to be part of God's plan.

Jesus testified that although people were studying the scriptures they were not following him:

John 5:39 (WEB) “You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and these are they which testify about me. 40 Yet you will not come to me, that you may have life. 41 I don’t receive glory from men. 42 But I know you, that you don’t have God’s love in yourselves. 43 I have come in my Father’s name, and you don’t receive me.

Jesus is greater than the Bible.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What's the term "bible believer" mean exactly? At times it comes off as in contrast to "Jesus believer"

It means not Catholic or Orthodox, as if they don't believe the Bible just because they are not Bible alone types. It is also a phrase that can be used as a put down

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,476.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If this is true then it was not authored by Jesus. But this only shows that the sections we can demonstrate are not original are not divinely inspired.

I don't agree, actually. If something is a later addition to one of the books - as we see is not uncommon - it doesn't necessarily follow that it's not inspired. The books as we have received them have been accepted as canonical, including the additions.

I don't think the process of compiling the work (however we reconstruct that) is as important as the fact that the Church has read, prayed and been formed by those works as we have received them, and accepted them in that form as inspired and canonical.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't agree, actually. If something is a later addition to one of the books - as we see is not uncommon - it doesn't necessarily follow that it's not inspired. The books as we have received them have been accepted as canonical, including the additions.

I don't think the process of compiling the work (however we reconstruct that) is as important as the fact that the Church has read, prayed and been formed by those works as we have received them, and accepted them in that form as inspired and canonical.

That's okay that you don't agree. But in my tradition we don't accept something as inspired simply because it has a good history of use in the church. It also matters whether or not it came from an apostle or someone authorized by an apostle. The passage in question in John 8 does not fit this criteria.

Upvote 0

th1bill

A Believer/Follower
Jul 5, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟66,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
One part of the Bible commands circumcision as part of God's covenant (Leviticus 12:3). Another part of the Bible (Acts 15) does not require Gentiles to be circumcised in order to be part of God's plan.

Jesus testified that although people were studying the scriptures they were not following him:

John 5:39 (WEB) “You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and these are they which testify about me. 40 Yet you will not come to me, that you may have life. 41 I don’t receive glory from men. 42 But I know you, that you don’t have God’s love in yourselves. 43 I have come in my Father’s name, and you don’t receive me.

Jesus is greater than the Bible.
I see this has gone astray with a good deal of unlearned responses. It certainly appears that like most all of the world, you have not internalized the first paragraph of St. John 1, verses 1-5. If you should seek to understand, pay attention to verse three.

There is nothing in creation that was not the work of Yashuah ha'Mashiah, the name you translate as Jesus. That includes every word of the scriptures from "In the beginning..." through the very last word of Revelation 22.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What's the term "bible believer" mean exactly? At times it comes off as in contrast to "Jesus believer"

Here, it's a term used by a fundamentalist when he is being met with facts so he/she tags himself as a "bible believer" because he doesn't want to admit or even attempt to conceive that his interpretation or ideology isn't just academically to scripturally wrong but complete nonsense.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

def

Supporter
Oct 13, 2010
✟89,770.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bible believers accept that the contents of the Bible are the inspired words of God, but the Bible does not deal with individual relationships. Such individual relationships are through Jesus Christ. Thus, Bible believers must also be Jesus believers (trust and obey) in their walk with God.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

God allowed 'additions' and 'errors', but also allowed us to identify them. How we deal with them is up to us...I guess.

Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It can never come off as a contrast to a Jesus believer because the Bible points us to Jesus in the first place. If you can’t believe the Bible, how can you believe Jesus? And if one claims to believe in Jesus but not the entirety of the scriptures, then I would have to ask:

What Jesus are they worshipping and what Gospel are they trusting in?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It means not Catholic or Orthodox, as if they don't believe the Bible just because they are not Bible alone types. It is also a phrase that can be used as a put down
I know that's how many would use the term, that 'Bible believer' means not Catholic or Orthodox. But I, a Catholic, AM a Bible believer. Radagast's definition in post 3 fits me. He defined it as follows: "Generally it means someone who believes that all, or most of the Bible is true; in contrast to someone who believes that all, or most of the Bible is mythical."

Further in post 7: "A Bible-believing Christian believes that Christ was born of a virgin, for example, because the Bible says so. A Bible-believing Christian believes that Christ literally rose from the dead, because the Bible says so."

So how am I to be excluded from being a Bible believer?

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Good question. Never understood them types who think they are better because they use the term "Bible believing" as if they are the only ones to believe the Bible. Those types don't think I believe the Bible because I am a Traditional Christian and reject Sola Scriptura wholesale

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Good question. Never understood them types who think they are better because they use the term "Bible believing" as if they are the only ones to believe the Bible. Those types don't think I believe the Bible because I am a Traditional Christian and reject Sola Scriptura wholesale
We're in the same boat then. Let's see what they say.

Upvote 0

rainingviolets

Jun 24, 2019
Midwest
✟17,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it is in the Bible it is the TRUTH. No "ritual" is performed that is not found or commanded in the Bible. Nothing is believed that is not found in the Bible. Where in the Bible are we told to pray on a string of beads? The Lord and His Word are directly followed.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟516,876.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see "Bible Believer" used to mean a limitation to one's faith to only what the Bible says...no man-made doctrine or man interpreted Scripture. Depends on whom you talk with.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Further in post 7: "A Bible-believing Christian believes that Christ was born of a virgin, for example, because the Bible says so. A Bible-believing Christian believes that Christ literally rose from the dead, because the Bible says so."

Does the term, as it is normally used, not imply that the person believes the Bible to the exclusion of competing sources of religious authority?

Upvote 0

th1bill

A Believer/Follower
Jul 5, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟66,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Here, it's a term used by a fundamentalist when he is being met with facts so he/she tags himself as a "bible believer" because he doesn't want to admit or even attempt to conceive that his interpretation or ideology isn't just academically to scripturally wrong but complete nonsense.
I, a Fundamental Believer, a Self Taught Man until YHWH and Yashuah ha'Mashiah, through Ruach took over and saved my soul and extended my education to include Spiritual Knowledge am not, nor shall I ever be offended b such silly, uninformed, uttering, LOL!

A good study of the complete Bible, a study taught by Ruach, ¿that distasteful person? known to most English Speakers as The infamous Holy Spirit will reveal that the Unlearned will make fools of the Over-Educated because of their, our, Faith they cannot reason with.

I am not ashamed of the Gospel! My prayer will forever be that YHWH touches your heart as He has mine and ends the, intentional, snappy quips.

Upvote 0