• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured So regarding the term "bible believer"

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Michael Collum, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,487
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    What's the term "bible believer" mean exactly? At times it comes off as in contrast to "Jesus believer"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. brinny

brinny everlovin' shiner of light in dark places Supporter

+102,888
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    What comes to mind for me, is "believing" His Word (the Bible).

What also comes to mind is this verse:

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." ~Romans 10:17

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  3. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+6,952
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Generally it means someone who believes that all, or most of the Bible is true; in contrast to someone who believes that all, or most of the Bible is mythical.

The actual line gets drawn in slightly different ways by different people, but if churches call themselves "Bible-believing," they usually are.

4. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+3,000
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    How so? To me there they are complimentary ideas. Is there something in the Bible that contradicts belief in Jesus?

5. Michael Collum

+3,487
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    So this is like that 1800s thing where morals replaced actual spiritual transformation.

6. Michael Collum

+3,487
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    In the application, it usually means "my interpretation believer"

7. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+6,952
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Not at all. What makes you say that? I didn't even mention morals. Was there some kind of agenda behind the OP?

A Bible-believing Christian believes that Christ was born of a virgin, for example, because the Bible says so. A Bible-believing Christian believes that Christ literally rose from the dead, because the Bible says so.

Someone who believes that Jesus was just a great moral teacher (but that He did not, for example, literally rise from the dead) is not a Bible-believing Christian.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Michael Collum

+3,487
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    When the focus is on the bible, The teachings of Jesus are a minority of the text compared to everything else, it's makes it easy to miss him ... especially if a denomination bases most of their doctrine on say Acts or Romans.

9. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+3,000
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Well, that applies to an awful lot of believing bible or no. Some people openly admit to just believing whatever suits them. They cannot understand why they aren't considered the ultimate authority by everyone else.

10. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+14,443
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Many who claim to be "Jesus Believers" use it as an excuse to ignore whatever was NOT said by our Lord in the Gospels.

11. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+11,856
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    My observation is that people mostly use it to mean "Biblical literalist," and to look down on (for example) Christians who integrate Biblical belief with scientific understanding or the like.

12. Halbhh

Halbhh The wonder and awe of "all things" Supporter

+4,058
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Of course someone not believing in Jesus, risen, isn't Christian in the original meaning of the word.

But in America often (but not always) the adjective "biblical" is used to signal some extra ideologies people would prefer to have supported some way, and the intent of some church to support those extra ideas by recasting scripture or even painting them into the text, or selectively picking out verses, and preaching a plausible meaning those verses could have had in isolation (if the Bible was just a few isolated verses), and ignoring other verses that contradict that idea.

The cure for that isn't merely to pick a different church though. It is to read fully with true listening, instead of trying to see or support our preferred ideas in the text. If we do, the Bible surprises us with it's profound depth, and does something to us.

If we listen, the Word does something to us, instead of us doing something to it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. com7fy8

com7fy8 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,122
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    But Jesus says the scriptures are they which testify of Jesus. So, all the Bible is about Jesus.

Now, though, if a church does not handle the Bible with this meaning, of course they can stay clear of Jesus.

But, for example, our Apostle Paul was given Romans, from Jesus. So, Romans is what Jesus says. Plus, I find how everything in Romans is a match with what Jesus says and did, in the Gospels. But in case certain people are tying to put a wedge between what Jesus says in the Gospels and and all He says through Paul to the Romans > they have their agenda which effects what they claim about Paul's writings.

Now, to answer your first question, in your first post > there are, then, Bible believers who well understand how all of God's word is about Jesus, and Paul has given us what is a match with what Jesus gave while on this earth. So, we read what Paul gives, in order to understand and know what Jesus says, which He has said through His and our Apostle Paul, whom Jesus selected to bring the Gospel to the Gentiles.

14. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+6,222
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    It really doesn't matter if you are only a hearer and not a doer.

15. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+19,868
    Anglican
    Married
    I don't think it means that.

Normally, it means someone who is guided by the Bible rather than social convention, human religious theories, or other "sacred" writings deemed to be the equal of the Bible.

It may be seen as a self-congratulatory term, but that's separate from the meaning of the term itself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Halbhh

Halbhh The wonder and awe of "all things" Supporter

+4,058
    United States
    Christian
    Married
  17. _Dave_

_Dave_ Active Member Supporter

+179
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I integrate "Bible believing" into a phrase I like to use to indicate what I believe constitutes a true Christian.

I believe that someone who is a "Born-again, Bible-believing, fundamental Christian" would have a solid understanding of The Word, and who doesn't stray from the important doctrines to chase down heretical rabbit holes, who doesn't try to jackhammer Scripture in order to make room for scientific "truths" or changing worldly cultural norms.

In my view, all three characteristics are important, the lack of any one of which shows up in the strange doctrinal views that we see so often here on CF.

BTW, please don't lock in on the term "fundamental" and castigate me for saying it. I'm not using it in terms of legalistic, fundamentalist, almost-cult-like religions. I mean it merely as a foundational type of belief in God's word. If I could think of a different, less triggering word for it I would use that instead. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  18. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+26,683
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The doctrines of the epistles and Acts are the doctrines of Jesus Christ. If they are not, then the apostles were false teachers.

19. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+26,683
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Actually my observation is opposite to what's above. Those who usually hold to 'my interpretation' are those who pick and choose what they like from the Bible while calling into question the authority of the portions which go against their interpretations.

This can be called "Buffet Bible believers."

20. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+1,543
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    1 Thessalonians 2

And we continually thank God that in receiving the word of God from us, you did not accept it as the word of men, but as the true word of God—the word now at work in you who believe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List