JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But the CDC itself has strongly urged schools to open this fall with in-person attendance.

Yeah...
No kidding.
This just doesn't make any sense...

On one hand they are talking about the enormous risk with children getting this virus and the data showing that schools are a point of transmission. On the other hand saying that kids should return to schools.

I'm totally confused. It's as if they want our kids to get sick and permanently disabled.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
But the CDC itself has strongly urged schools to open this fall with in-person attendance.
It’s an impossible situation. Serious harm both to kids and the economy if we don’t. Serious risk to health if we do. NJ is opening with some in person, but options for parents to choose remote. I think most schools are doing alternate days or weeks. That has its own dangers. I expect it will be adjusted based on experience.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s an impossible situation. Serious harm both to kids and the economy if we don’t. Serious risk to health if we do. NJ is opening with some in person, but options for parents to choose remote. I think most schools are doing alternate days or weeks. That has its own dangers. I expect it will be adjusted based on experience.

The additional daycare for parents with pre-teen children doing a mix of class and online classes is going to be really difficult.

There aren't enough qualified workers for daycares to begin with. That and the increased expense for households is going to create havoc.

A school with 1,000 children and 250 teachers now has to hold a maximum of all 250 teachers and roughly half the students.

That leaves 500 students to Online classes and a need for 10 to 15 daycare workers to supervise the children that are doing online classes. (In private home settings)

@ $300-350 per child per week...that's an enormous shift in economics for most households.
And problems arising from a school setting where an outbreak occurred.... another potential disaster in the making.

School buildings already have issues fighting off legionnaires disease. (Why they close only during the summer) I can see a whole new issue from the reduced capacity, the empty buildings, and school lunch.

There's issues all around.

I know several parents trying to do home school programs (when moms don't have a career) and others going to private schools...and others doing online schooling....or a blend of the above options including daycare supervision for online classes. (But these are fairly wealthy families)

So I don't know how economically challenged families will fare with all this.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The additional daycare for parents with pre-teen children doing a mix of class and online classes is going to be really difficult.

There aren't enough qualified workers for daycares to begin with. That and the increased expense for households is going to create havoc.

A school with 1,000 children and 250 teachers now has to hold a maximum of all 250 teachers and roughly half the students.

That leaves 500 students to Online classes and a need for 10 to 15 daycare workers to supervise the children that are doing online classes. (In private home settings)

@ $300-350 per child per week...that's an enormous shift in economics for most households.
And problems arising from a school setting where an outbreak occurred.... another potential disaster in the making.

School buildings already have issues fighting off legionnaires disease. (Why they close only during the summer) I can see a whole new issue from the reduced capacity, the empty buildings, and school lunch.

There's issues all around.

I know several parents trying to do home school programs (when moms don't have a career) and others going to private schools...and others doing online schooling....or a blend of the above options including daycare supervision for online classes. (But these are fairly wealthy families)

So I don't know how economically challenged families will fare with all this.
I agree. There have been suggestions to set up locations for students not at school that day. Sounds like something for YMCAs, churches, etc. I'm hoping the half-time version doesn't cause serious problems, in which case we can move back to a normal schedulre.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

and many day care centers have gone out of business since the start of the virus, I was hearing just this morning.

Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟54,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah...
No kidding.

On one hand they are talking about the enormous risk with children getting this virus and the data showing that schools are a point of transmission. On the other hand saying that kids should return to schools.

I'm totally confused. It's as if they want our kids to get sick and permanently disabled.
Amos 3:12 This is what the Lord says: “As a shepherd rescues from the lion’s mouth only two leg bones or a piece of an ear, so will the Israelites living in Samaria be rescued, with only the head of a bed and a piece of fabric from a couch.”

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I’m sure you know this, but you don’t need perfection. You just need to interfere with transmission enough to get R under 1. Masks could make the difference.
Yep, absolutely. I appreciate that some can't seem to get past black and white thinking, but on the other hand we never seem to have "I'm not the richest person in the world so what's the point, take my money" threads either, so I'm not sure that is really the root cause of these weird objections either.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah...
No kidding.

Donald told them what they need to say if they don't want to get on his bad side.

January can't come quickly enough.

Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟54,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
COVID-19 updates: A June 19 update shared that Rice will hold all classes with more than 100 students remotely.

In May, Rice announced tentative plans to begin the fall semester in-person as planned on August 24. This decision is not final and will be reevaluated periodically throughout the summer. Most courses will be offered remotely as well. Rice plans to have a final decision made in July.

In a May 5 letter to graduate students, the university president David Leebron and Dr. Seiichi Matsuda, dean of graduate and postdoctoral studies, detailed a "cautiously optimistic" plan for reopening for in-person coursework in the fall. According to the letter, the semester will likely be shortened and international students will likely have additional flexibility for start dates.

What the top 25 colleges and universities in the US have said about their plans to reopen in fall 2020, from postponing the semester to offering more remote coursework

I went to Rice so I can visualize what this will be like.

1st, classes that have more than 100 are online and I suspect that would work very well. In my experience at the school classes in lecture halls had more than 100, those could easily be taught using Zoom.

The rest of the classes I had were less than 35 people (I doubt there are an 90 or 80 or 70 person classes).

The problems I see -- the majority of the students live on campus in dorms and eat at the cafeteria which was a room in each college that held several hundred. Some students as well as the faculty and staff commute and live in Houston. Not to mention all the other people who come in and out everyday providing some service to the campus.

So although holding the large lectures online would probably work quite well and not bring down the quality of the experience it seems to me the entire experience for the campus would be very effective at spreading the disease. That said being "cautiously optimistic" May 5 makes sense. June 5 deciding the lectures will be held online also makes sense. But with about 2-3 weeks till Freshman week it seems to me it is time for them to be far more specific if they are going to do anything else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟54,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟54,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The camp, which the CDC did not name, held an orientation for 120 staff members and more than 130 trainees in mid-June, according to its Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. The staff members stayed at the camp and on June 21 were joined by more than 360 campers ranging in age from 6 to 19.

Days later, on June 23, a teenage staff member left after developing chills and later tested positive for the coronavirus. The camp began to send people home the following day and alerted the state's Department of Public Health.

Related: COVID-19 testing has changed since the coronavirus outbreak began. Here's what you need to know before getting a test — and what to expect when you're there.

Among the children and staff who were tested for the virus, 260 came back positive, with 231 of them aged 17 or younger.

Children and staff at Georgia overnight camp test positive for coronavirus, CDC says

• Informative
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The camp, which the CDC did not name, held an orientation for 120 staff members and more than 130 trainees in mid-June, according to its Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. The staff members stayed at the camp and on June 21 were joined by more than 360 campers ranging in age from 6 to 19.

Days later, on June 23, a teenage staff member left after developing chills and later tested positive for the coronavirus. The camp began to send people home the following day and alerted the state's Department of Public Health.

Related: COVID-19 testing has changed since the coronavirus outbreak began. Here's what you need to know before getting a test — and what to expect when you're there.

Among the children and staff who were tested for the virus, 260 came back positive, with 231 of them aged 17 or younger.

Children and staff at Georgia overnight camp test positive for coronavirus, CDC says
I just read about this. It is so frustrating. Not even my local scouts are doing a in person day camp.

Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟54,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As More Schools Stay Online, One That Opened Now Has a Virus Problem

Of the nation’s 25 largest school districts, all but six have announced they will start remotely, although some in places like Florida and Texas are hoping to open classrooms after a few weeks if infection rates go down, over strong objections from teachers’ unions.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
As More Schools Stay Online, One That Opened Now Has a Virus Problem

Of the nation’s 25 largest school districts, all but six have announced they will start remotely, although some in places like Florida and Texas are hoping to open classrooms after a few weeks if infection rates go down, over strong objections from teachers’ unions.
NJ is still requiring an in-person option for all districts, though typically schools are alternating groups. I understand why, but I'm skeptical.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟54,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A New York Times survey of every public four-year college in the country, as well as every private institution that competes in Division I sports or is a member of an elite group of research universities, revealed at least 6,600 cases tied to about 270 colleges over the course of the pandemic. And the new academic year has not even begun at most schools.

More Than 6,600 Coronavirus Cases Have Been Linked to U.S. Colleges

Upvote 0