So many questions, but I'll start with being filled with the holy spirit....

petunia72

Oct 23, 2017
Midwest
✟24,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me begin by saying that I consider myself non-denominational, even though the church we attend is Assembly of God (we are not members). Something has bothered me for years, and I am trying to dig deeper into the truth. Every summer my kids would go to church camp, and every summer my daughter would cry when she got home. Not because she didn't LOVE church camp (she would've lived there all year if they'd let her), but because she wasn't filled with the holy spirit during worship time. Meaning that she didn't receive the gift of speaking in tongues. One year I went as a camp leader, and witnessed my co-leader making the girls TRY to speak in tongues. There were girls who were sobbing because they couldn't do it. It broke my heart and deeply disturbed me. I believe some people can speak in tongues, but I don't believe that it's necessary to be filled with the holy spirit. I mentioned the issue with our Pastor, and he too, seemed bothered by it. But still....each summer the same issue came up with our daughter. My 2 oldest are off at college now, but I still have 2 at home. I'm very hesitant to let them attend any of these types of events now. Am I wrong?

• Prayers
Reactions: com7fy8

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also, I don't buy telling children to try to speak in tongues, or teaching them a method to get them started.

When the Apostles laid hands on someone, no one had to tell them what would happen. When the disciples were in prayer and the Holy Spirit fell on them, I don't think they were expecting to be speaking actual languages which others could identify.

Reactions: petunia72
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I will just add that in some Assembly of God congregations speaking in tongues is proof of salvation, which we need no proof but Jesus Christ in us. Please note however, I said some.

I might check the church or sponsors website of the camp or the camp's website to see if there is any information. I would look for that if it were me.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will just add that in some Assembly of God congregations speaking in tongues is proof of salvation,
There are groups not Assembly of God, who insist that you are not filled with the Holy Spirit unless you have spoken in tongues, and you are not saved if you are not filled with the Holy Spirit. And so, they can really push for you to speak in tongues. And they might use methods that get you tongue-tied so you talk gobbled-y-gook and they call that speaking in tongues because it was not English. So you can get false salvations.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The most extensive discourse on the "pneumatic" gifts is in 1Corinthians. Corinth was the most spiritually gifted church in the NT, and not coincidentally, also the most out of control.

Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up. -1Cor 14:5​

Speaking in tongues is a good thing. It is something we all should try to obtain. However:

Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles?
Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? -1Cor 12:29-30
Those are rhetorical questions, the answer to which is No. Paul is making the point that each person has his own gifting, and that we should accept each other as we are, because we need each other.

We shouldn't be forcing or in any way shaming people into conforming to preconceived Pentecostal norms. God has His way of doing things, replete with His perfect timing. I have seen a lot of rigidity in Pentecostal churches, which is ironic because of their emphasis on the Spirit, the antithesis of rigidity. But sin and flesh can be very subtle.

I think you're absolutely right to be concerned, and to want to protect your children from religious pressure. We've been at Pentecostalism for long enough now that there is no excuse for pressuring kids to fit into anyone's mold. Paul had to drop the Love Chapter, 1Cor 13, right into the middle of the pneumatic discourse, in order to remind the Corinthians what the gifts were all about. It seems little has changed.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There are groups not Assembly of God, who insist that you are not filled with the Holy Spirit unless you have spoken in tongues, and you are not saved if you are not filled with the Holy Spirit. And so, they can really push for you to speak in tongues. And they might use methods that get you tongue-tied so you talk gobbled-y-gook and they call that speaking in tongues because it was not English. So you can get false salvations.
I agree.

I know my cousins church is Oneness and they do push it very hard. It has to exist, but they are also non-Trinitarian, so they have a lot of odd beliefs in general.

Upvote 0

petunia72

Oct 23, 2017
Midwest
✟24,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is the camp the kids are attending associated with your current AofG church?
Have you or your pastor spoken with the camp leaders about this?

Yes, it is. I spoke with him after it happened, and he said that he would speak to the leaders of the camp about it. It continued after that, however.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The most extensive discourse on the "pneumatic" gifts is in 1Corinthians. Corinth was the most spiritually gifted church in the NT, and not coincidentally, also the most out of control.

Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up. -1Cor 14:5​

Speaking in tongues is a good thing. It is something we all should try to obtain. However:

Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles?
Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? -1Cor 12:29-30
Those are rhetorical questions, the answer to which is No. Paul is making the point that each person has his own gifting, and that we should accept each other as we are, because we need each other.

We shouldn't be forcing or in any way shaming people into conforming to preconceived Pentecostal norms. God has His way of doing things, replete with His perfect timing. I have seen a lot of rigidity in Pentecostal churches, which is ironic because of their emphasis on the Spirit, the antithesis of rigidity. But sin and flesh can be very subtle.

I think you're absolutely right to be concerned, and to want to protect your children from religious pressure. We've been at Pentecostalism for long enough now that there is no excuse for pressuring kids to fit into anyone's mold. Paul had to drop the Love Chapter, 1Cor 13, right into the middle of the pneumatic discourse, in order to remind the Corinthians what the gifts were all about. It seems little has changed.

That is a great summary of the topic, at least for me. (A long time evangelical who has started visiting a charismatic non-denom church). I agree with your comments related specifically to this topic as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums