So Many Extinct Species? Wouldn't Call It Design Failure.

thomas_t

Blessings Collector
Nov 9, 2019
Bamberg
✟41,404.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
During the flood many animals died.
But an artist has the right to withdraw some of the arts he made.

Bible teaches that human dead bodies will be called back to life by God, see John 5:28.

This might happen to animals, too I think. I mean it's not recorded in the Bible that this is going to happen, but why not, I think.

An atheist fellow poster brought this issue up in another thread.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

Bible teaches that human dead bodies will be called back to life by God, see John 5:28.

This might happen to animals, too I think. I mean it's not recorded in the Bible that this is going to happen, but why not, I think.

I know. It leaves you wondering why the artist withdrew some of the arts he made.

Perhaps he made a few mistakes?
OB

• Haha
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Don't tell me Noah forgot the unicorns?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Don't tell me Noah forgot the unicorns?
I'm not so sure about unicorns but, if we accept the OP's logic, Heaven will be full of dinosaurs and sabre tooth tigers. Hopefully vegetarian. :)

OB

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

It boils down to how you understand the scripture. If God wrote, do not muzzle the ox while it is threshing. Then God must be overly concerned with animals. Then again, Paul asked the Corinthians whether the ox represented the minister or evangelist? Do we withhold from the minister, and the evangelist what they need (muzzle).

It seems that God is overly concerned with those He created in His image. Not so much interested in Oxen or rats for that matter.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know. It leaves you wondering why the artist withdrew some of the arts he made.

1. Concrete foundations are made using forms which are later removed.
  2. Not every historical figure has living descendants.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

OB
I am a gardener.

Every year's garden is different. Some items carry on ... and some are displaced. Otherwise it would get boring.

It's the natural order of things.

Reactions: miknik5
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I am a gardener.

Every year's garden is different. Some items carry on ... and some are displaced. Otherwise it would get boring.

It's the natural order of things.

I agree - evolution is the natural order of things - although I doubt that it came into existence as a cure for boredom.

OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree - evolution is the natural order of things - although I doubt that it came into existence as a cure for boredom.

OB
My garden didn't occur on its own.

Order doesn't arise from disorder ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
but neither the foundation nor its form can procreate.

and the tree of evolution has many dead ends.

You need better metaphors.
OB
If you apply teleologic purpose to the developments of Evolution, it is easy to see extinct lineages as having a purpose in moulding other lineages into their modern forms. Just as historic figures played their part in the modern world, even if no living descendants remain.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
If you apply teleologic purpose to the developments of Evolution, it is easy to see extinct lineages as having a purpose in moulding other lineages into their modern forms. Just as historic figures played their part in the modern world, even if no living descendants remain.
Your mistake lies in ascribing teleological purpose to evolution. In effect you are defining evolution as a supernatural force or intelligence.
OB

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I garden by Intelligent Design: I plant stuff and then whatever manages to survive somehow, constitute my garden.

Intelligent design?

It sounds like a classic case of Darwinian Survival Of The Fittest.:)

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your garden is only "ordered" because it fits your preconceived notion of what constitutes an ordered garden.

OB
Is your car ordered ... because it fits your preconceived notion of what constitutes a car ?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Is your car ordered ... because it fits your preconceived notion of what constitutes a car ?

My car is ordered because it fits my preconceived notion of what constitutes an ordered car.

Others, with different standards, may disagree.
OB

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not so sure about unicorns but, if we accept the OP's logic, Heaven will be full of dinosaurs and sabre tooth tigers. Hopefully vegetarian. :)

OB

God wouldn't just save the land animals. There are no doubt hundreds of millions, if not billions of other extinct species. Like fish. How cool would it be to see those enormous Megalodon sharks swimming in the heavenly ocean? Or birds. Like the passenger pigeon, Carolina parakeet, dodo, and that huge elephant bird from Madagascar. And God wouldn't forget the invertebrates. The trilobites dominated the oceans before going extinct. There must be millions of extinct insects, annelids, molluscs, sponges, corals, and other species. And I'm sure there are countless unicelluar organisms no longer with us. Such as protozoans and bacteria. Not to mention all the plant species that are gone. Aren't these all God's handiwork? If dinosaurs are resurrected, why wouldn't the same be true for all other life forms?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
God wouldn't just save the land animals. There are no doubt hundreds of millions, if not billions of other extinct species. Like fish. How cool would it be to see those enormous Megalodon sharks swimming in the heavenly ocean? Or birds. Like the passenger pigeon, Carolina parakeet, dodo, and that huge elephant bird from Madagascar. And God wouldn't forget the invertebrates. The trilobites dominated the oceans before going extinct. There must be millions of extinct insects, annelids, molluscs, sponges, corals, and other species. And I'm sure there are countless unicelluar organisms no longer with us. Such as protozoans and bacteria. Not to mention all the plant species that are gone. Aren't these all God's handiwork? If dinosaurs are resurrected, why wouldn't the same be true for all other life forms?

By Jingo - you're right!

Perhaps we should rename Heaven to something more appropriate.

Given the millions of trillions of plants and animals floating around - we could just call it Soup.

OB

• Haha
Upvote 0