SO MANY CHURCH'S - WHO IS GOD'S TRUE CHURCH (Scripture)?

Jun 2, 2019
Somewhere
✟30,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone,

Just some questions for friendly discussion (answers to be based on the scriptures please). According to some consensus' there have been recorded between 40,000 to 50,000 different Christian Church denominations believe it or not. Now I do not know how accurate these numbers are but let's say for arguments sake even if there was only 5 different Christian Church's all professing to be the chosen of God, how are you going to know who has God's truth and who truly is God's Church? I think this will be an interesting topic as JESUS warns us in the last days that many will come in his name and there will be many false prophets (messengers) and false Christs (Head's of the body which is the church).

QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION (scripture please).

Q1. How do the scriptures define Church?
Q2. With so many Christian Church's in the world all professing Christ how can we know who is God's true Church?
Q3. How does the bible define as God's people?
Q4. Who is God's ISRAEL in the new covenant?
Q4. Who is Gods Church according to the scriptures in the New covenant?

My view which I will show latter through the scriptures is that God's people make up his Church, and they are defined in the scriptures as all those who are living up to all the knowledge that God has revealed to them and are knowingly believing and following his Word. This means God's people are in every Church but not every Church is God's - There is a calling out coming according to REVELATION 18:1-5 because the Church's professing Christianity have fallen away from God and his Word.

This of course should be obvious to everyone as there is not only scriptures foretelling this but from the very fact that there are 40,000 or 50,000 different denominations of Christianity recorded today all professing to be God's true Church. Not all of them have the correct understanding of the scriptures and as such cannot all be God's true Church right?

I will look to provide scripture proof latter and link them to this OP showing why I believe this way. I believe that God is calling his people where ever they may be, and from what ever Church they may be in, back to His Word. God is a Spirit and those who worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and in truth. God is calling His sheep out from following man-made teachings and traditions back to the pure Word of God.

Friendly discussion please. What are your thoughts?

God bless.

I don't have a lot of wisdom, but this is something that I was just thinking about.

I think theses verses are some relating to this issue:

1 Corinthians 1:10-13
1 Corinthians 12:12-31
1 John 4:1-6
1 John 4:13-16

I also think that EVERY Christian Church denomination has fallen away to a certain extent, even the "non-denominational" which is actually a denomination by the way.

What would happen if we actually applied the test mentioned in 1 John 4:1-6 to determine weather any denomination is part of the true Church or not?

Unity in the church is an issue that is really important to me.
True Christians should be completely united ( 1 Corinthians 1:10-13 ) in word (that includes theology) deed and mind. I don't think that means Christians have to agree on everything, just the truly important issues, and we should agree on which issues are truly important, and there should be no compromise about believing the core issues of the Christian faith.

Upvote 0

Saint JOHN

May 5, 2017
Adelaide
✟20,848.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Q1 :How do the scriptures define Church

its the people NOT A BUILDING ! (the building is for comfort aganst wind sun rain etc)...

Ro 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

1Co 12:12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also [is] Christ.

1Co 12:14 For the body is not one member, but many.

1Co 12:18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

1Co 12:20 But now [are they] many members, yet but one body.

1Co 12:25 That there should be no schism in the body; but [that] the members should have the same care one for another.

1Co 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

1Pe 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

Ro 16:5 Likewise [greet] the church that is in their house. Salute my wellbeloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ.

1Co 14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in [those that are] unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

Col 4:15 Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house.

and more !!...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Q2. With so many Christian Church's in the world all professing Christ how can we know who is God's true Church?

Those who (are anointed by the Holy Ghost) and preach the FULL GOSPEL !

Ac 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Ro 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Mark16v16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

etc...package deal (accsess to all) upon recieving the Holy Spirit ! true believers not those who make excuses why not !! it is the same today NOT RELIGIOUS TYPES !

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Q3. How does the bible define as God's people?

(see above mark 16 above God gets in your face real !!!!)(that is the reciept from God that you are what you say = christian = christ ones = anointed ones.)

Joh 4:24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.

Joh 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

so according to the word (worship in spirit)

1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

and more...

when a baby is born (norm) it cries out ; when a person is born again (from above) he also cries out in the pure (undefilable) language God gives to them.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Q4. Who is God's ISRAEL in the new covenant?

there is 2 natural (hebrews etc God rejected as they killed Christ so far from God had they gone and still, trying like so many to appease by the Law which no one (except Jesus Christ ,who fulfilled the Law and the Prohets) can keep for any length of time. and the Spiritual new test.The Law was perfect;man imperfect,easy to corrupt..

2Co 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Ro 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither [is that] circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
Ro 2:29 But he [is] a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision [is that] of the heart, in the spirit, [and] not in the letter; whose praise [is] not of men, but of God.

God will deal with both.
etc...........

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Q5. Who is Gods Church according to the scriptures in the New covenant?

as above...

Ga 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Col 3:11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond [nor] free: but Christ [is] all, and in all.

and much more...

get the Holy Spirit and let God show you he will lead you and teach you all things that lead to life and Godliness..

Ac 8:18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,

this passage shows he saw and heard ,a con artist willing to pay !! not just sign a card ,make a decision, pie in the sky nonsense REAL IN YOUR FACE EVENT even today.

Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have two answers for this.

Based on Theology and doctrine, i believe it is the catholic church because of tt's apologetics and theology.

However, I also believe the "right" Church isn't depended on doctrines; but a church that manages to change or keep the person's life in a very positive direction psychologically and spiritually. That is the right church.

And sadly for me, this is what many protestant churches (most being non-denom) have done more than Catholics from my experience. The majority of kids i've known who were well mannered and showed loved to God where protestants while kids from Catholic households where commonly apatheistic. I believe even Fr. Barron admitted this as well with his sit down with William Craig.

To me, the right church is with in the person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟114,865.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I have two answers for this.

Based on Theology and doctrine, i believe it is the catholic church because of tt's apologetics and theology.

However, I also believe the "right" Church isn't depended on doctrines; but a church that manages to change or keep the person's life in a very positive direction psychologically and spiritually. That is the right church.

And sadly for me, this is what many protestant churches (most being non-denom) have done more than Catholics from my experience. The majority of kids i've known who were well mannered and showed loved to God where protestants while kids from Catholic households where commonly apatheistic. I believe even Fr. Barron admitted this as well with his sit down with William Craig.

To me, the right church is with in the person.
Exactly what Jesus said :)
Luke 17:21 b
“...For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.”

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I suppose the true church would be comprised of those who do the will of the father, regardless of denomination. That is not what the op asks for, but on that subject, as far as I know there is no mention of a true church in the bible, and all we'll get here is opinion. Not that there is anything wrong with getting an opinion.

Yes thanks Kenny that is the way I see it as well. What is the will of the father? There is mention of who God's people are in the bible that is what I will like to focus on next as it is the people that make up God's church.

God bless

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
“Who is My mother and who are My brothers?” And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said,“Here are My mother and My brothers! For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.”
Indeed good scripture ST! Those that do the will of the Father that is in Heaven. What is the will of the father?

God bless

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Having a love and a charity is also a plus. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. - John 13:35 And... I worry... That the COVID virus is working against all of that.

Good scripture how do we love one another?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I was listening to two sisters talk in an Assembly of God church and they heard that in the last days the people were going to have to, "Cut their own paths." In this day and time we may find ourselves more and more alone with the Spirit and the Word of God.

Yes I think so as well but the funny thing is that many do not know this is a part of God's new covenant promise *HEBREWS 8:11 and the reason why there is so many church's is that we are all looking to the teachings and traditions of men that are not biblical *Matthew 15:3-9. God is a Spirit and those who worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and in truth. Babylon as fallen (Christianity) God is calling us back to his pure Word and promises to teach us with his Spirit *John 14:26; John 16:13; 1 John 2:27; John 8:31-36 etc etc..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What exactly are you looking for in the Bible. That the Bible states that the church Jesus is building is invisible

Hi Dt, of course, the scripture in relation to the questions asked in the OP mainly or a view supported by the scriptures. Of course Gods true church is not a building or a denomination it is God's people. How does the scriptures define God's Church? Of course it is the believers. Then what scriptures define God's believers?

God bless

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
My perspective on the church takes a while to explain.

Jesus is like the fulfillment of Moses.

The 12 apostles are like the fulfillment of the 12 patriarchs of Israel.

The Orthodox Church is like Benjamin because it is so small.

The Catholic Church is like Judah because the popes are the fulfillment of the kings.

The reformation denominations are like the other 10 tribes, the division from the other two even was over an argument of "works" just like in the story of Jeroboam and Rehoboam.

Since so much time has passed, referring back to the original 12 is impossible because there are pope kings, because the kingdom was divided, because we are in captivity. The foundation of the original movement called the way was lost when they became state religions. Even our current thousands of denominations root from colonialism in Europe.

There is no such thing as "the true church" in terms of an organization consisting of humans.

However, Jesus continues to build His church as a dwelling place for God in the Spirit Realm.

So it is fulfilled, no one will be able to say - the kingdom of God is over here, or over there.

Interesting view Michael, thanks for sharing. Who is Gods true church? We know that God's people are in every church and that it is God's people that make up the church so how does the bible define God's people that make up the church? I was hoping to see scripture shared that define this as it will help us to see where we should be heading.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God's true Church will not align completely within the boundaries of any single denomination. We know that each and every one of them contain Tares, too. Because of that, no church can claim to be free of unbelievers, even in its leadership. But God still can (and does) use those denominational frameworks to accomplish His ultimate purposes.

I think we are in agreement that Gods' people are God's Church scattered through all the church's denominations but perhaps the denominations are not necessarily following God's Word. How does God's Word define God's people in the new covenant?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The body of all those who put their trust in Christ and accept him as Lord and Savior is the "church". It's as simple as John 3:16-17. The church isn't about what building you go to or what denomination you're in, but about WHO you trust as your Shepherd.

So even though I often disagree with LGW as to specifics based on many arguments concerning the sabbath and perhaps a few other things, and he belongs to a different denomination, we are both in the same "church" whether he likes it or not. :p

(I put "church" in parenthesis since the word "church" is not actually in the bible. The word in scripture is actually Ekklesia in Greek, and it basically means an assembly of people, such as an assembly of state in secular terms, and Paul uses it to mean an assembly of believers in Christ. Then English translators decided to use the Germanic word "church" and it stuck to this day. :) )

True the body of Christ (His people) put there trust in God and accept him as Lord and Savior. So how do we accept him as Lord and Savior? We are told that many will come to him on that day saying Lord Lord, but he will say depart from me you who work iniquity I never knew you. How do we know if we know God? Yes I do not agree with many of your teachings as I do not believe they are biblical, but I still love you as my sister in Christ and this is why I pray and share God's Word with you in the hope that it will be a blessing to you. Thanks for sharing your view here.

God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Since the Church predates the writing of a single word of the New Testament, it seems you seek to define the Church by men's fallible interpretations of Scripture. Good luck with that. How does the Church define the Scriptures? Investigate that and you will find the Church.
The Christian church does not predate the old testament it is described throughout it and also within the new testament scriptures that the old testament scriptures pointed to. God's Word in both the old and new covenant scriptures define God's Church and this is what the OP is about. There is no need to guess who God's people are as defined in the scriptures. If you do not know these scripture please hang around and receive God's blessing as it is written cursed is every man that trust in man and makes flesh his arm. We need to seek God's truth through his Word prayerfully seeking God through his Spirit if we wish to know what God's truth is.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
These are all good questions..

The one true church is all those that believe in the Christ as their savior and His, life and work on the cross to save the world.

This is a collective group of believers.. All of whom have a different outlook, view, concepts and understandings of the scriptures. Some share views with others.. some down right reject concepts that others hold.

In the end.. the Church.. or the Bride... or AKA those who are children of God.. "Born again" are those that will stand in front of Christ... on the moment of their death and be called "good and faithful servants.. Washed in the blood and seen righteous despite their sinful life.. which has been wiped clean and pardoned by Christ who had no sin but paid for all sin.

So, you can search for the "one true church" all you want.. Some will say "it's me" some others will say "no it's us"...

But.. Christ, who loved the whole world will look at all of us and say "IT's You" to all those who trust in His words for eternal life.

Let's put aside this debate on which group is the one true church... we all are.

Hi Jack, good post thanks for sharing it. How do we know if we are Born again or not?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is the will of the father?
"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name,
He will teach you all things,
and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." John 14:26 NKJV​
How does God's Word define God's people in the new covenant?
As someone above has stated,
"By this all will know that you are My disciples,
if you have love for one another.” John 13:35 NKJV

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name,
He will teach you all things,
and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." John 14:26 NKJV​

As someone above has stated,
"By this all will know that you are My disciples,
if you have love for one another.” John 13:35 NKJV
Good post ST, how is love expressed to God and our fellow man? This is also the thing part of God's new covenant promise is that God wants to be our guide and teacher if we prayerfully ask him and seek him through His Word.

Upvote 0