Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not particularly. It would be sinning if you didn't want to get married because you want to sleep around a lot, I'd think. But, if you just aren't interested... that's fine. Some people are called to celibacy. Look at Matthew 19:1-12 or so; Christ teaches about marriage, and then says that not everyone is called to this.

I mean, there are reasons not to get married which might be bad, but "getting married" is hardly a moral obligation. There is a "general obligation" of reproduction, but it's one of those things where, as long as it gets done, not everyone has to do it.

Upvote 0

Malachi383

Dec 10, 2002
Visit site
✟15,321.00
Faith
Catholic
It is not a sin to not get married. Christ says that there are eunuchs who are so from birth, there are those that have been made to be eunuchs, and then there are those who are eunuchs for the kingdom of God.

Eunuchs for the kingdom of God - this is one thing that points to a vow of celibacy. I am Catholic, and our priests, brothers, and sisters all take vows of celibacy for the kingdom of God. We also have lay persons who are called consecrated who take vows of celibacy. Some who have a same sex attraction, out of respect for marriage, live celibate lives.

If you wish to build up the Body of Christ via your celibacy, and devote your life to the church, then that is one thing. If you are afraid of intimacy, rejection, commitment, marriage, etc, or have a psychological disposition toward it because of a previous experience/s, that is another matter all together.

Many are called to marriage. Others are not. I myself feel as if God is calling me to the priesthood. Does this mean that I dont want to get married? No. It is a great struggle to me, and involves a sacrifice if I do enter the priesthood. We are all called, based on our gender, to be husbands, fathers, and brothers, or wives, mothers, and sisters. The question is, in what way. As a priest, I am a shepherd to a flock, and a father in this way. I am also their brother in Christ. Make sense? Whether married or celibate, I must still live out these calls.

So I guess it comes down to, why dont you want to get married? What about it repulses you? Have you had any previous experiences with bad marriages, in which there was abuse, etc (parents, parents relationships after a divorce, aunts and uncles, grandparents, friends' parents, etc?)?

God bless

Upvote 0

Hopeful

Feb 2, 2003
Visit site
✟1,199.00
Faith
Protestant
Today at 05:18 PM Malachi383 said this in Post #3

So I guess it comes down to, why dont you want to get married? What about it repulses you? Have you had any previous experiences with bad marriages, in which there was abuse, etc (parents, parents relationships after a divorce, aunts and uncles, grandparents, friends' parents, etc?)?

God bless
 thanks malachi, no i dont want to get married for personal reasons, nothing to do with abuse or anything like that, but when i had a talk with my mum, she was very angry because in the bible, it says that God has sent man into the world to multiply and so if i dont get married and have children, then i would be disobeying God, hence, sinning.

i am not catholic but i understand the essence of preists and why they cant marry but i dont think it applies here.

Thanks

Upvote 0

HesMyAll

Senior Contributor
Nov 4, 2002
Ohio
✟18,278.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Today at 05:53 PM Hopeful said this in Post #4

thanks malachi, no i dont want to get married for personal reasons, nothing to do with abuse or anything like that, but when i had a talk with my mum, she was very angry because in the bible, it says that God has sent man into the world to multiply and so if i dont get married and have children, then i would be disobeying God, hence, sinning.

i am not catholic but i understand the essence of preists and why they cant marry but i dont think it applies here.

Thanks

IMO I think man will have to find something else to occupy himself with.  There are over 6 billion people on this planet already.  That's alot of reproducing and I don't really think we need any more.  There is no sin in now wanting to marry.  As a matter of fact those who chose to remain unmarried are commended in the Bible because they are more mindful of the things of God than of pleasing a mate.  Maybe your mother is just mourning for the grandchildren she looked foward to.

Upvote 0

BRISH

Loved
Jun 16, 2009
✟15,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I personally dont plan on marrying any time soon, if ever. Call it jaded or just not interested, but I figure it's better to just stay single/abstinent then to jump into another "failure" of a relationship. At this point, I feel my risk of "failure" is high, so I think it's "unsinful" to just stay where I'm at.

*shrug* but no, it's not a sin. I do believe with the others above though, that that means staying abstinent as well.

Kudos to you though. I have alot of admiration for those that state this and know what they want.

Upvote 0

Macx

Aug 7, 2007
Twin Cities, Whittier-hood
✟7,657.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
so is it sinning if...
i dont want to get married? just asking

You are cool, no worries. You can change your mind or stick to your guns, but in either case. . . . no sin. I agree with this statement 100% -->
Maybe your mother is just mourning for the grandchildren she looked foward to.

When I lost my wife, I mourned the children we'd hoped to have together but never did. I understand a bit how your mother must feel having raised you with hopes of grandchildren. Now, as a parent I can understand all the worry and doubt. . . am I doing it right? I reckon that the "final test" of parenting is seeing how your children are with their children . . . that perhaps is the only time a parent can sit back and know they did it right. So your mother has to take it on faith. It is okay, it isn't your responsibility to provide her with that assurance, it is nice, but it isn't essential.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums