So... I'm Basically in Fellowship With Darkness?

※※♡Rose○Gold○Macaron♡※※

Jesus is sweeter than macarons.
Mar 12, 2020
Carterville Illinois
✟36,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
What does Phillippians 4:8 mean? I always thought it meant to focus on things that are good, not sinful. But any form of entertainment and music made by everybody and anybody, is technically bad since any unbeliever cannot produce good works. I understand if it's an inappropriate song, but what if it's an okay song? The song, or whatever it is, is stained by the evil one (the devil) which is what someone said on my thread about Jack Chick. Why would the Devil want to enjoy a song that talks about non sinful things? I remember reading an article about how a classic rock song, "Rock N Roll Suicide" stopped a girl from committing suicide and she thanked God for showing her that song. If I, for example, listen to a music band, and they have a song about sex, and I avoid it, but then they have a song about wanting their spouse to love them and to not leave them, is that okay? What is tainted by the devil? Anything? Why do I worry about anything? I don't want to sin. Why do I want to avoid sin? So I won't go to Hell. Why don't I want to go to Hell? I want to enjoy the New Creation, so I can be with our Father, and the Son, and Holy Spirit. I just need the right answers, and some tips on choosing my entertainment would be nice. I don't want to feel binded by legalism, and I don't want to be self righteous.

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What does Phillippians 4:8 mean? I always thought it meant to focus on things that are good, not sinful. But any form of entertainment and music made by everybody and anybody, is technically bad since any unbeliever cannot produce good works. I understand if it's an inappropriate song, but what if it's an okay song? The song, or whatever it is, is stained by the evil one (the devil) which is what someone said on my thread about Jack Chick. Why would the Devil want to enjoy a song that talks about non sinful things? I remember reading an article about how a classic rock song, "Rock N Roll Suicide" stopped a girl from committing suicide and she thanked God for showing her that song. If I, for example, listen to a music band, and they have a song about sex, and I avoid it, but then they have a song about wanting their spouse to love them and to not leave them, is that okay? What is tainted by the devil? Anything? Why do I worry about anything? I don't want to sin. Why do I want to avoid sin? So I won't go to Hell. Why don't I want to go to Hell? I want to enjoy the New Creation, so I can be with our Father, and the Son, and Holy Spirit. I just need the right answers, and some tips on choosing my entertainment would be nice. I don't want to feel binded by legalism, and I don't want to be self righteous.
I see this as a question of distinguishing between atheistic entertainment vs. anti-theistic entertainment.

As an example of what I mean, Pearl Jam is a band made up primarily (if not exclusively) of atheists. And yet, their song "Given To Fly" seems to contain a lot of references to Our Lord. "First he was stripped, then he was stabbed". I think the lyrics are flexible enough that someone could adduce a Christian metaphor in that song, even if the band never really intended it. It's not an anti-theistic song.

I would post the song here from YouTube but the lyrics include an F-bomb and the last thing I want is to land in CF jail because somebody thinks they have virgin ears or whatever. But it's easy to find if you're curious.

There are other songs like Billy Joel's "Only The Good Die Young" tho where I think it's a lot harder to defend.

So for me, I draw the line at anti-theistic songs. Things like this need to be decided on a case by case basis. The issue is that we cannot completely avoid wickedness on this side of the veil. It would be nice if we could but that's just not an option.

I enjoy music and I find 99% of Christian songs to be unbearable tripe. For that reason alone, it's hard to imagine that I'm going to hell because I get tremendous pleasure from listening to secular material.

In the end, you have to set your own boundaries. My boundary is anti-theistic sentiments. But maybe you'll find different boundaries. That's fine. In the final analysis, only you can decide. So take some time to figure out what your priorities are and then stick to those.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,047.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
While it’d be extremely commendable of you to be so singleminded as to never allow adulterous songs to touch your ears as you await the return of the King, what is probably more realistic is to separate secular music from the music that you apply to worship. That way you don’t need to be trying to discern every song. Making playlists of favourite worship songs doesn’t mean you have to listen to them 24/7. If you wanted to strict out like say for a Nazarite vow then I’d still think 2 1/2 hrs was the time allotted to Jacob at Bethel.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Romans 8
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

So maybe Paul was kidding, but I'm sure he wasn't.

Things present and things to come are covered, and they cannot separate us from the Love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
CHOOSE GOOD entertainment ... uplifting themes, ... christian values, etc., etc., etc. ...

Be discerning and disciplined. If an entertainment is possibly giving you the wrong inputs, be strong enough to cut it out of your life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Unbelievers cannot produce good works? There are certainly non-Christians who do acts of love and mercy, who are doctors and nurses and firemen, etc. Some, like firemen, even give their lives to save others. Now, as to the thesis of your remarks, on one hand, it is probably good that you are concerned about sin, as many here do not worry about such. Still, it is not healthy to overly dwell on sin and the Devil. My best advice is to concentrate on showing love to the less fortunate and worry less about legalism and trying to be perfect.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What does Phillippians 4:8 mean? I always thought it meant to focus on things that are good, not sinful. But any form of entertainment and music made by everybody and anybody, is technically bad since any unbeliever cannot produce good works.

That's a faulty interpretation. God can extend His will to get the enemy to let His people go. Suggestion: Don't keep discussing Jack Chick; you'll get people who agree with him and those who can't stand him.

I understand if it's an inappropriate song, but what if it's an okay song? The song, or whatever it is, is stained by the evil one (the devil) which is what someone said on my thread about Jack Chick. Why would the Devil want to enjoy a song that talks about non sinful things? I remember reading an article about how a classic rock song, "Rock N Roll Suicide" stopped a girl from committing suicide and she thanked God for showing her that song. If I, for example, listen to a music band, and they have a song about sex, and I avoid it, but then they have a song about wanting their spouse to love them and to not leave them, is that okay? What is tainted by the devil? Anything? Why do I worry about anything? I don't want to sin. Why do I want to avoid sin? So I won't go to Hell. Why don't I want to go to Hell? I want to enjoy the New Creation, so I can be with our Father, and the Son, and Holy Spirit. I just need the right answers, and some tips on choosing my entertainment would be nice.

Proverbs 3
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

I think your questioning and desire are headed in the right direction.

Bible read-the-bible-2.png

I don't want to feel binded by legalism, and I don't want to be self righteous.

I was in your shoes about forty years ago. I've spent years reading the New Testament and it has been a great help.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
God spoke to Balaam through an ass, I'm sure He can use pop music if He wants to. The guy who wrote You Light Up My Life swears he didn't have any religious intention to the song, yet it's impossible to listen to it without thinking of Jesus.

The Holy Spirit has not yet been pulled from the Earth, and He can work how He wants through whom He wants.

That said, most secular music is garbage. Most modern Christian music in my view is vapid, for that matter. So in either case do what Php 4 suggests and focus on what is excellent and let the rest slide, and pray to discern what edifies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I probably will seem a bit harsh but it's a bit like you're trying to see what you can get away with as opposed to seeking to please God. I don't believe trying to live right is legalism. If I am honest with myself I know when I shouldn't be doing something, most times.

• Agree
Reactions: Leet
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The idea that non-Christians can do nothing good is controversial. In my opinion it comes from taking a couple of bible passages out of context.

But even if you believe it, it's really about the religious implications of actions. That is, the point is that everything we do is based on mixed motivations. Not just that we want to help people but that we have pride in what we can do independent of God.

That means that no work is good enough to earn points towards salvation. But the fact that my motivations may be wrong doesn't necessarily detract from the work. Non-Christians do plenty of things that are helpful and useful. The Reformers referred to doing things that are useful but that God doesn't give us credit for "civil righteousness." Civil in this case means that it's good for the society even if it doesn't help your salvation.

So you really can't restrict yourself to just using things made by Christians. That's clearly impractical.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't want to sin. Why do I want to avoid sin? So I won't go to Hell. Why don't I want to go to Hell? I want to enjoy the New Creation, so I can be with our Father, and the Son, and Holy Spirit.

Interesting thought....but avoiding sin isn't what keeps you out of hell.

• Agree
Reactions: Leet
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What does Phillippians 4:8 mean?
:)

:idea: ? >

"Finally, brethren" > Our Apostle Paul, here, is writing to us as his brothers and sisters > "brethren" > whom he loves dearly as his own family . . . not talking down on us, criticizing us, trying to get us to feel guilty and get confused.

"whatever things are true, whatever things are noble" > not only "true" but also "noble". There are people who can be truthful and open, but not "noble" by being honest and humble.

"whatever things are just, whatever things are pure" > there are people who can be very about social justice stuff and showing how they can prove who is right, but they are not "pure in heart" so they see God (Matthew 5:8), not "pure" in their motives, not "pure" in love with compassion and readiness to forgive. And ones can be so about justice, but very self-righteous!

"whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report" > there are things and people that can seem so "lovely", but are they "of good report" > "in the sight of God" (in 1 Peter 3:4)?

"if there is any virtue, if there is anything praiseworthy" > you might have "virtue" so you can do something, but is it what God will praise?

Just because we have the ability to do something, and even if it is not an obviously wrong thing, this does not mean we should do it.

"meditate on these things" > what is worthy of our attention?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It's Gigo (garbage in ... garbage out)

Philippians 4

8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think on these things.

Does the entertainment fit what is in the verse?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What does Phillippians 4:8 mean? I always thought it meant to focus on things that are good, not sinful.
It does. But not because your salvation depends upon it. That rests on Christ. If you think you have to be sinless to be saved, you're going to be afraid all the time, and you're likely to fall for things like Chick.

Paul's big point is what makes us Christian (justification) is based on our faith in Christ. Once you're in Christ, he makes you new, and the Holy Spirit helps you change your life. But remember Jesus' teachings. For him the key was loving God and your neighbor. Read one of the Gospels sometime looking for what mattered to Jesus. It wasn't avoiding sin, or being pure. It was loving others, forgiving them and helpful them. Sin can make that difficult, so it's often something you have to deal with, but being sinless isn't the point of Christianity. Loving God and neighbor is, and looking to Christ for salvation, not your own sinlessness. Sin is important because it's a barrier, and often because it hurts others or yourself. But being sinless isn't the main point.

The problem with things like Chick is that they panic people. They make them afraid that they're not making the grade. But what does it lead to? Does it lead to the things Jesus taught? Being more forgiving? Loving people more? No, it leads to more and more rules about what you can and can't do.

Certainly you should be careful about entertainment and everything else. If something is harmful, stay away. But there are plenty of good songs, movies, and books, and they're not always from Christians.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does Phillippians 4:8 mean? I always thought it meant to focus on things that are good, not sinful. But any form of entertainment and music made by everybody and anybody, is technically bad since any unbeliever cannot produce good works.

The reality is that non-Christian singers live in God's world, which is essentially made good. So many of their songs are good, because they reflect upon the good things found in life.

I understand if it's an inappropriate song, but what if it's an okay song? The song, or whatever it is, is stained by the evil one (the devil) which is what someone said on my thread about Jack Chick. Why would the Devil want to enjoy a song that talks about non sinful things?

Not all non-christian music is "of the devil", you are more likely to have negative themes in non-christian music, but it is not evil per say.

I remember reading an article about how a classic rock song, "Rock N Roll Suicide" stopped a girl from committing suicide and she thanked God for showing her that song.

I know of a man who got saved, listening to a non-christian song. God can use many things. Music of it self is not evil.

If I, for example, listen to a music band, and they have a song about sex, and I avoid it, but then they have a song about wanting their spouse to love them and to not leave them, is that okay?

I guess it comes down to what do you want people to listen to. If we encourage listening to a band that promotes sex, will our children hear that song? However, if you really love a long by a particular band there would be very little issue with downloading the song as a single.

What is tainted by the devil? Anything? Why do I worry about anything? I don't want to sin. Why do I want to avoid sin? So I won't go to Hell. Why don't I want to go to Hell?

You will not go to hell for listening to secular music. There is a middle ground.

Ecc 7:16-18 Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself? Be not over much wicked, neither be thou foolish: why shouldest thou die before thy time? It is good that thou shouldest take hold of this; yea, also from this withdraw not thine hand: for he that feareth God shall come forth of them all.

We are not to make ourselves so perfectly pure, that we hurt our emotions. God wants a balance.

I want to enjoy the New Creation, so I can be with our Father, and the Son, and Holy Spirit. I just need the right answers, and some tips on choosing my entertainment would be nice. I don't want to feel binded by legalism, and I don't want to be self righteous.

Like you said, keep away from sexual content, move towards bands with good content. But don't fear, God will not beat some one up over listening to a secular song.

Upvote 0