Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Back in 2015 my parents and I moved from Washington State (my favorite place!) down to Tennessee and I have been regretting it ever since.

I hate the geography down here!

We chose to move to a tiny town called Greeneville and here we have been for the past five years. Its way out in the country by the mountains and there is nothing out here!

The reason why my parents left Washington State was because they felt like the liberal politics there was discriminating against their religion. Both my mom and dad are born-again Bible-believing Christians, and saints in Christ, and mom is very religious actually. So is Dad.

So we basically moved because we thought that the liberal politics of Washington State was discriminating against our religion. Mom said she could hardly talk to anyone about Jesus without them getting angry at her. She said she could not stand to be in an atmosphere that was so hostile towards religion. And also, the Democratic Party up there has been known to be hostile towards religious people like us. That is not fair, but hey, it happens. Religious people get discriminated against by non-believers.

We feel that we don't need to be around others who are hateful bigots and they hate religious people like us. People need to learn to be more tolerant towards religion like we are.

But yeah, I don't like Tennessee because of its geography. If I could move anywhere I would move to Montana, its my favorite state! I just love me some Big Sky Country.

Anyone else here from Tennessee?

Last edited:

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My mother and her side of the family are all from TN.
Back in 2015 my parents and I moved from Washington State (my favorite place!) down to Tennessee and I have been regretting it ever since.

We chose to move to a tiny town called Greeneville and here we have been for the past five years. Its way out in the country by the mountains and there is nothing out here!

The reason why my parents left Washington State was because they felt like the liberal politics there was discriminating against their religion. Both my mom and dad are born-again Bible-believing Christians, and saints in Christ, and mom is very religious actually. So is Dad.

So we basically moved because we thought that the liberal politics of Washington State was discriminating against our religion. Mom said she could hardly talk to anyone about Jesus without them getting angry at her. She said she could not stand to be in an atmosphere that was so hostile towards religion. And also, the Democratic Party up there has been known to be hostile towards religious people like us. That is not fair, but hey, it happens. Religious people get discriminated against by non-believers.

We feel that we don't need to be around others who are hateful bigots and they hate religious people like us. People need to learn to be more tolerant towards religion like we are.

But yeah, I don't like Tennessee because of its geography. If I could move anywhere I would move to Montana, its my favorite state! I just love me some Big Sky Country.

Upvote 0

Bro. Dave Gardner

Sep 9, 2019
New England
✟19,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes. Harriman, Roane County. I don't live there anymore but when I go back I witness a lot of animosity toward minorities and non-Christians. I find it quite disturbing. I also find that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnAshton
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Never been but I'm sure i would like Washington (the ocean), and Montana has been a consideration most of my life. I'm a Floridian stuck in Kentucky till I can save enough for a livaboard, at which point I'll probably move to Maryland...the coast without the extreme heat or cold.

You have to make any change happen, but I do understand the predicament.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnAshton
Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Get the ball rolling. Find a property on http://www.zillow.com.
Lots of details on properties there to look at and mull over. I originally was born and lived in a flat in Philly, Pennsylvania then my family moved when I was 4 to Europe. Where do you want to live?
Tell me a little about your favorite state or preferred area of America as well. That may help. I’m sure that things are not as bad as you think. But I have never lived in Texas. Do you know anything about the quality of education in Texan schools or not?

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Fact of the matter is you can't do anything about your locale till you are able to do something about it.
Quit complaining and enjoy the trees, hills, streams, woods, wildlife, etc.
I live in Az.'s desert, and wish I was in Tenn. sometimes...but not Wash....too much rain...and it now appears, bigotry.
Get busy enjoying what you've got, because the grass isn't always greener in Wash.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you read it too, Jacqueline, but there was a recent report or poll or something like that which identified Tennessee as the state whose inhabitants most wanted to move to somewhere else. If so, you are at least in a certain kind of majority for a change!

However, it looks like the main problem is WHERE in TN your family chose to settle. The 'Alaskan Bush People,' as seen on a TV series, settled somewhere in Washington state because they wanted as much isolation as possible, so it's not entirely about one state versus another, I am thinking. And then too, the state of Tennessee has a number of urban centers--Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, and Knoxville, which is unlike many other states.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

I was raised on the plateau in Tennessee, moved away to Atlanta for a while and have been back in Nashville for 19 years.

You said,
That is not fair, but hey, it happens. Religious people get discriminated against by non-believers.
The harsh reality is religious people get discriminated against by other religious people as well.
One has to learn to adapt to those doing the discriminating. :)

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was near Memphis for a few months in 1970 in the nav. Millington in training. Met some hippies. Tried to hitch hike to Nashville. Stayed away from Beale street as a warning for servicemen, but could have liked hearing some blues. Mainly rotted in the barracks for 3 months. Scary tornadoes and thunder storms. Got my orders and went to Guam. Then drove back to the West Coast.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟214,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I know a couple that moved to Washington State & moved back the next year b/c of the politics there & it's just too expensive (see a connection?)

So you don't like the politics there either but it's still your favorite?

It sounds like you just don't like the ruralness of where you are in TN. Nashville is a lot of fun.

Montana would be a lot of fun!

Upvote 0

rhawk

I'm a CAT-HOLIC, proud cat parent & Catholic.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Montana
✟420,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Montana would be a lot of fun!
Montana is great! (unless you are near Bozeman or Missoula, I do not like the politics there and the type of people moving in)

• Informative
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0