Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
One could categorize it as horror fantasy/supernatural but the thing is it's based on Christianity. So vampires, werewolves, and witches (those who aren't human anymore that is) are all demons in the flesh where as what humans have called Fae are actually angels who have a physical form. The setting is mostly northern Europe but there are times the MCs travel elsewhere and the angels and demons are called something else. Nonetheless, God is very much in control of everything good and Satan with everything evil.

One of the things I struggle with this series is how much gore to show and what not. The plot sometimes calls for it because the reader has to see the extent of the evil the demons are doing and the effects on humanity. Yet, it's awful.

What are ya'lls opinions?

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One could categorize it as horror fantasy/supernatural but the thing is it's based on Christianity. So vampires, werewolves, and witches (those who aren't human anymore that is) are all demons in the flesh where as what humans have called Fae are actually angels who have a physical form. The setting is mostly northern Europe but there are times the MCs travel elsewhere and the angels and demons are called something else. Nonetheless, God is very much in control of everything good and Satan with everything evil.

One of the things I struggle with this series is how much gore to show and what not. The plot sometimes calls for it because the reader has to see the extent of the evil the demons are doing and the effects on humanity. Yet, it's awful.

What are ya'lls opinions?
What is the name of the series if I can ask?

Upvote 0

makeajoyfulnoise100

Tea, books, and rainy days <3
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2017
Atlanta
✟89,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is the name of the series if I can ask?

I haven't given a series title yet just the four-five book titles. I'll message you the titles if you like :)

Reactions: Bluerose31
Upvote 0

ejcopping

May 29, 2017
Newcastle
✟11,703.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm on the side of stay true to the story. If the story needs gore then include it. I do come up against opposition but my general reply is the bible is full of people being decapitated, eyes gauged out and brutal murders amongst other things.

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd note that the Bible contains factual descriptions of violence and brutality, but I'm not sure I'd call it graphic. To me, graphic detail includes lots of descriptions of everything. For example, 2 Kings 25:7 describes what the Babylonians did to King Zedekiah. "They killed the sons of Zedekiah before his eyes. Then they put out his eyes, bound him with bronze shackles and took him to Babylon." I'd consider a graphic description one that takes several paragraphs and pages to describe the method, manner, and details of the deaths of each of the sons and then the details of the blinding of Zedekiah. There's of course a wide range of how much could be included in a retelling of this account ranging from more technical anatomical effects to a vivid sensory description of the blood, screams, and tearing of flesh.

Sometimes imagination can be more powerful than graphic detail to produce a feeling of horror or repulsion in the reader, especially if the author's intent is to communicate some type of message to the reader that will stay with them. In my opinion, gore and detail is an easy way of getting a reaction by describing many terrible things that will horrify most readers. However, I wonder if too many authors use it as a shortcut to get a reader reaction instead of learning how to steer readers' imaginations in more subtle ways. I appreciate stories and movies that play on things like most people's fear of the dark or pain or dying rather than their gag reflexes. To me, a story where you primarily remember the feeling of fear or loss or suspense is much better than one where the main thing you remember is basically repulsion from a few gory descriptions of something that you can't get out of your head later.

Upvote 0