So I have started questioning selection pressure, like can a s.p. pull one species into another?

How many times do you have to be warned "you need to make a choice" before you choose?

• Once

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twice

• I question the warning

• I can keep questioning the warning

• I'm invested in changing warnings, rather than listening to them

• Why burden me? If its a problem, warn me later!

• Total voters

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi,

Yes, I have started questioning "selection pressure". I have two thoughts: one, that selection pressure is an over-arching force, that homogenizes everything that comes under its sway - this is a generalized selection pressure (like everything alive, needs to drink, sort of thing) - and the other thought, is that selection pressure is a destructive thing, that it forces creatures to take on attributes that it would otherwise ignore - a specifying selection pressure (like every thing alive, would like the power of a dinosaur, at some point, if it could evolve it). These two interpretations are completely different things, but they have the relationship to selection pressure in common.

Now, I think I am making things simple, calling them creative and destructive, but maybe I need to make it clearer? The point is, that there is a point: to making up your mind about what selection pressures you will react to and those that you will not (react to) - because fundamentally, if all you do is sit on the fence, you will become chaotic. I am not saying being chaotic, is the end, but it is evidently far less than survival. If you can survive, you can change your mind about many things, but if you are chaotic, you are blown about in the wind: having no direction or purpose, in what you do. Can you be a little chaotic? Yes, but you are treading in dangerous waters - particularly for the greater survival, that would have been possible - if you had just made up your mind?

So it comes down to which way will you fall. Will you acknowledge greater adaptations than your own and even copy them, or will you find to have your interpretation open ended, as much as it costs you to brave more chaotic waters yet? This is the point: you have to decide that you are going to do something consistently, right? It shouldn't take the entire species, for you to realize that certain adaptations are a bad thing, in the long run! Mercy, Justice, Faith, these are the things that Jesus said to focus on - the context is the same, even if it is "Evolution". Are you going to let too little mutation make you just like everyone else? Or are you going to make the coming of the same mutation over and over make you irrelevant, to the greater movement of Evolution towards God?

I mean there is no argument, that an Evolution towards God, is a greater 'Evolution' right? That is something to set your mind on: homogenized, but only "so" much, chaotic, but only for what you can truly accentuate? I mean you do have to admit, at some point: that the Evolutionary potential available to you at this point, is far less than something only the imagination at its greatest strength can really sustain - its called being realistic and I don't think you have a better example of restraint from failing to being realistic, than Jesus on the cross! If you can't work out what to evolve: turn to Jesus!

Turning to Jesus will involve, humbling yourself, being true to yourself and welcoming God further in, to your relationships, in love of the difference He can create - can't you see that there is no time to reminisce over what relationships should have been? You will have to settle for less, at some point: or else you will be destroyed by the interplay between want and further hope, that no love can justify? I started this thread suggesting that selection pressure could pull one species into another: the point I was trying to make is that, one species might flourish better taking another as its foundation, to begin with; but I went on to say, that by the same token a selection pressure could homogenise a species, given that that relationship may make no further suggestion for change after all. The thing I am hoping you learn, is to decide between these things: before your inaction takes you on an undefined path, one with no opportunity to choose one or the other.

There is a word, for someone who does not make up their mind, and I don't need to tell you what it is here - suffice it to say, that there is again a word for those that have heeded the warning and done nothing about it: "greater fool". I'm not saying you wilfully want to be either, but the Devil is coming, and the Devil will not settle, for half-hearted.

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
I think the problem is that I am trying to be emotionally resonant, without being intellectually self-congratulatory.

I don't dumb down well.

I could keep trying to explain myself, or I could just trust that God will make it make sense.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you considered streamlining your thoughts such that they are understood by other people? A few focused statements ... ?
That would leave open an hour or two of time. That time has got to go somewhere. You can't just leave it hanging, unfilled.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,950.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Indeed I have.

There is no direct evidence, and certainly no means to demonstrate, interspecies evolution. There is variation and minor adaptation, but no significant evolution. In fact, because there are no interspecies specimens being dug up, the evolutionists have been forced to deny the gradual process by admitting some sort of "punctuated equilibrium" does occur.

Any minor cellular modifications of "evolution" just kills the cell.

I was not referring to you, but Gottservant.
Though I can see from your reply you haven't really learned about evolution either.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Hi,

Yes, I have started questioning "selection pressure". I have two thoughts: one, that selection pressure is an over-arching force, that homogenizes everything that comes under its sway - this is a generalized selection pressure (like everything alive, needs to drink, sort of thing) - and the other thought, is that selection pressure is a destructive thing, that it forces creatures to take on attributes that it would otherwise ignore - a specifying selection pressure (like every thing alive, would like the power of a dinosaur, at some point, if it could evolve it). These two interpretations are completely different things, but they have the relationship to selection pressure in common.

Now, I think I am making things simple, calling them creative and destructive, but maybe I need to make it clearer? The point is, that there is a point: to making up your mind about what selection pressures you will react to and those that you will not (react to) - because fundamentally, if all you do is sit on the fence, you will become chaotic. I am not saying being chaotic, is the end, but it is evidently far less than survival. If you can survive, you can change your mind about many things, but if you are chaotic, you are blown about in the wind: having no direction or purpose, in what you do. Can you be a little chaotic? Yes, but you are treading in dangerous waters - particularly for the greater survival, that would have been possible - if you had just made up your mind?

So it comes down to which way will you fall. Will you acknowledge greater adaptations than your own and even copy them, or will you find to have your interpretation open ended, as much as it costs you to brave more chaotic waters yet? This is the point: you have to decide that you are going to do something consistently, right? It shouldn't take the entire species, for you to realize that certain adaptations are a bad thing, in the long run! Mercy, Justice, Faith, these are the things that Jesus said to focus on - the context is the same, even if it is "Evolution". Are you going to let too little mutation make you just like everyone else? Or are you going to make the coming of the same mutation over and over make you irrelevant, to the greater movement of Evolution towards God?

I mean there is no argument, that an Evolution towards God, is a greater 'Evolution' right? That is something to set your mind on: homogenized, but only "so" much, chaotic, but only for what you can truly accentuate? I mean you do have to admit, at some point: that the Evolutionary potential available to you at this point, is far less than something only the imagination at its greatest strength can really sustain - its called being realistic and I don't think you have a better example of restraint from failing to being realistic, than Jesus on the cross! If you can't work out what to evolve: turn to Jesus!

Turning to Jesus will involve, humbling yourself, being true to yourself and welcoming God further in, to your relationships, in love of the difference He can create - can't you see that there is no time to reminisce over what relationships should have been? You will have to settle for less, at some point: or else you will be destroyed by the interplay between want and further hope, that no love can justify? I started this thread suggesting that selection pressure could pull one species into another: the point I was trying to make is that, one species might flourish better taking another as its foundation, to begin with; but I went on to say, that by the same token a selection pressure could homogenise a species, given that that relationship may make no further suggestion for change after all. The thing I am hoping you learn, is to decide between these things: before your inaction takes you on an undefined path, one with no opportunity to choose one or the other.

There is a word, for someone who does not make up their mind, and I don't need to tell you what it is here - suffice it to say, that there is again a word for those that have heeded the warning and done nothing about it: "greater fool". I'm not saying you wilfully want to be either, but the Devil is coming, and the Devil will not settle, for half-hearted.
Evolution doesn't work like that; selection pressure doesn't work like that.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Indeed I have.

There is no direct evidence, and certainly no means to demonstrate, interspecies evolution. There is variation and minor adaptation, but no significant evolution. In fact, because there are no interspecies specimens being dug up, the evolutionists have been forced to deny the gradual process by admitting some sort of "punctuated equilibrium" does occur.

Any minor cellular modifications of "evolution" just kills the cell.
And you say this despite the fact that speciation has been observed, both in the wild and in the lab?

Upvote 0