• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

so fearful and unable to trust God

A

abovetheclouds

Hi I'm an abuse survivor. The worst abuses were done to me by a Christian parent. I am a control freak with many walls of pride and fear around me. I am fearful of spending any time in God`s presence and dontknow whether am gonna be able to grow as a Christian at all. That is if I'm even truly saved at all anymore.

I couldn't even let the Holy Spirit into my life so I cursed Him and spoke bad things against Him. I'm mourning Him leaving. I don't want to go to Hell. I've suffered on earth. I don't want to suffer after I die.

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi,

That kind of thinking is not uncommon after abuse. It has several roots from that abuse. But you are not abandoned by God, nor are you a bad, sinful person. You need some help to get insights into where you are at and why. For example you probably are a control freak in an attempt to be 'good' so as to avoid further harm, to get someone to love you instead of abusing you.

Bless you
John
NZ

Upvote 0

KayJoy

Oct 13, 2014
home is where the heart is <3
✟20,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I came to Christ when I was 13, but every time I entered a church, or at certain other times, while I tried to pray, I had horrible images in my head, and would hear obscenities, accusations against God and myself, etc ...I never understood why, and for many years, I just tried to push it away, or quote scripture, plead the blood, cast down imaginations, etc ....all the things they tell you to do according to scripture, and are meant for spiritual warfare, etc ... but it never worked. Nothing worked until I was in my 30's and realized that those things I was seeing and hearing were flashbacks and were there due to things I suffered, and that God wanted to heal those broken places in me. I'm in my 40's now, and still in this healing process.

I was also abused in ways that took scripture and twisted them in order to justify and even reinforce how ev*l I was.... I heard them all.... when I was a child, before I came to Christ, I thought God was the one who hurt me. I would see images of t*rtures and thought He was the one doing those things to me, because I was ev*l and He hated me. None of those things were true. But I had to learn the truth in order to be free from the lies. That takes time.

Despite the torment I had going on inside me, I began hearing the voice of Jesus when I was age 10, calling me to follow Him, and revealing Himself to me... for 3 solid years, until I finally gave my heart to Him. But my journey to freedom and healing has been lifelong. Thankfully, He is patient.

I'm sorry for what you've endured. Please go easy on yourself.

How would you be with possibly finding a Christian counselor? I have had Theophostic Prayer Ministry off and on for the last 8 years, and it has been such a huge help to me. Most Theophostic ministers do not charge a fee, but may receive donations or offerings. Mine didn't require anything, and many don't. They have a directory on their website to help you find someone in your area.

I hope this helps!
Blessings!

Upvote 0

mimibeloved

Jul 12, 2012
✟7,759.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reality check: your abuser was no Christian!!! He/she was a fake. No true Child of God yoked with our Lord Jesus would abuse anyone. These fake Christians give true Christians a bad name.
Don't be blinded by what people call themselves, look at the fruit they bear. Abuse is evil.

Upvote 0

WoundedDeep

Oct 21, 2014
✟8,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi I'm an abuse survivor. The worst abuses were done to me by a Christian parent. I am a control freak with many walls of pride and fear around me. I am fearful of spending any time in God`s presence and dontknow whether am gonna be able to grow as a Christian at all. That is if I'm even truly saved at all anymore.

I couldn't even let the Holy Spirit into my life so I cursed Him and spoke bad things against Him. I'm mourning Him leaving. I don't want to go to Hell. I've suffered on earth. I don't want to suffer after I die.

Hi abovetheclouds, I am in a similar situation as you did. I have no motivation to pray, read the Bible or converse with God. I have even cursed God in my heart.

My advice is when you have those bad thoughts or compulsions to say nasty things to God (no matter to the Father, Son or Holy Spirit) that you let Him know you have those thoughts and ask Him to help you get through those thoughts so you don't act on them. You also need some prayerful Christians around you to pray for you when you have those thoughts so the devil will flee and stop poisoning your mind. This is probably what you need most. As you heal, you might find it easier to start a relationship with God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

notalone32

Jan 4, 2015
UK
✟15,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ask the Lord for guidance. He knows you are suffering and He loves you even if you don't feel like loving Him. God will not leave you no matter what because He is a faithful and loving God.

thanks but i cant hear from Him clearly on this because of all the spiuritual abuse and false stuff that sbeen pumped into me

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

notalone32

Jan 4, 2015
UK
✟15,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I came to Christ when I was 13, but every time I entered a church, or at certain other times, while I tried to pray, I had horrible images in my head, and would hear obscenities, accusations against God and myself, etc ...I never understood why, and for many years, I just tried to push it away, or quote scripture, plead the blood, cast down imaginations, etc ....all the things they tell you to do according to scripture, and are meant for spiritual warfare, etc ... but it never worked. Nothing worked until I was in my 30's and realized that those things I was seeing and hearing were flashbacks and were there due to things I suffered, and that God wanted to heal those broken places in me. I'm in my 40's now, and still in this healing process.

I was also abused in ways that took scripture and twisted them in order to justify and even reinforce how ev*l I was.... I heard them all.... when I was a child, before I came to Christ, I thought God was the one who hurt me. I would see images of t*rtures and thought He was the one doing those things to me, because I was ev*l and He hated me. None of those things were true. But I had to learn the truth in order to be free from the lies. That takes time.

Despite the torment I had going on inside me, I began hearing the voice of Jesus when I was age 10, calling me to follow Him, and revealing Himself to me... for 3 solid years, until I finally gave my heart to Him. But my journey to freedom and healing has been lifelong. Thankfully, He is patient.

I'm sorry for what you've endured. Please go easy on yourself.

How would you be with possibly finding a Christian counselor? I have had Theophostic Prayer Ministry off and on for the last 8 years, and it has been such a huge help to me. Most Theophostic ministers do not charge a fee, but may receive donations or offerings. Mine didn't require anything, and many don't. They have a directory on their website to help you find someone in your area.

I hope this helps!
Blessings!
thanks. it helps a lot. im AboveTheClouds btw. had to change my account due to issues with old one....may i add you as a friend?

Upvote 0

KayJoy

Oct 13, 2014
✟20,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry that happened to you!! It can make it extremely difficult to hear God when as a child we were fed so many ideas about Him. (Speaking from experience.)

Would it help if you could write out some of them, and just be heard here? Cognitively, you may know these things aren't true, but that doesn't mean you feel it. Wounding from childhood is usually at the root of our spiritual struggles. It's a process to get those uprooted and replaced with truth. Go easy on yourself, okay? ((((hugs, if okay))))

Last edited:
Upvote 0

notalone32

Jan 4, 2015
UK
✟15,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
thanks. will try that. ever since i was 7 i felt a real anger towards God. and hate. which i think had something to do with the abuse. but maybe i just have an evil heart. i been told i have a Jezebel spirit and am not really saved... i cry out to God with tears sometimes to save me. i want to love Him but dont know how... ive repented of my sins but i still struggle... (((hugs)) to you also. i have been told i may have C- PTSD which can be related to Borderline Personality, which i have been diagnosed with. also OCD and so maybe my hateful thoughts is that and not flashbacks. but ive always wondered....

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
thanks. will try that. ever since i was 7 i felt a real anger towards God. and hate. which i think had something to do with the abuse. but maybe i just have an evil heart. i been told i have a Jezebel spirit and am not really saved... i cry out to God with tears sometimes to save me. i want to love Him but dont know how... ive repented of my sins but i still struggle... (((hugs)) to you also. i have been told i may have C- PTSD which can be related to Borderline Personality, which i have been diagnosed with. also OCD and so maybe my hateful thoughts is that and not flashbacks. but ive always wondered....

That us just religious nonsense, and very hurtful nonsense too.

The anger at being violated is a real and acceptable anger. It needs processing, but God is angered at seeing one of beloved daughters being abused and hurt. There can be a justified anger at the abuser which also needs to be acknowledged and worked though.

You are saved - totally accepted, totally and unchangeably loved by Father, forgiven, clothed with Christ's righteousness as a gift and have the Holy Spirit resident within, always. That silly Jezebel stuff is utter nonsense with no biblical basis at all.

You need someone who really listens and comes to understand what is going on within you. Sadly many churches do not have that resource. But none of that insensitive, uninformed religious negativity will help you. I feel for you.

John
NZ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

notalone32

Jan 4, 2015
UK
✟15,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks. It was mental verbal and physical abuse from my minister dad. The sex abuse was outside my family and didn't affect me much. Because I had already been through so much worse.

Yeah. I want to serve God. But am constantly being shown visions of Hell and reading the Bible is too scary for me. It either scares me or leaves me unmoved. My heart feels nothing but fear or anger. I'm only happy if I'm eating or cuddling my guinea pigs or reading trashy novels. Nothing else makes me feel happy. I have hated God since age 7 but didn't want to. I wanted to love Him but I don't know what love means. I don't do commitment in any of my relationships. Offline I'm afraid of people. Terribly. So no I don't commit to anyone. I'm never in the same place for long

Upvote 0

KayJoy

Oct 13, 2014
✟20,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. It was mental verbal and physical abuse from my minister dad. The sex abuse was outside my family and didn't affect me much. Because I had already been through so much worse.

Yeah. I want to serve God. But am constantly being shown visions of Hell and reading the Bible is too scary for me. It either scares me or leaves me unmoved. My heart feels nothing but fear or anger. I'm only happy if I'm eating or cuddling my guinea pigs or reading trashy novels. Nothing else makes me feel happy. I have hated God since age 7 but didn't want to. I wanted to love Him but I don't know what love means. I don't do commitment in any of my relationships. Offline I'm afraid of people. Terribly. So no I don't commit to anyone. I'm never in the same place for long

Hi... I got your friendship request, but not sure if I accepted it correctly, lol. You can message me any time.

There's so much that you've written that I can relate to. Being afraid to read the Bible, and seeing visions of Hell, hating God since age 7 although you didn't want to (hate Him), not knowing what love is... none of this sounds strange to me. (Does that surprise you?)

If you'd like to talk further on these things here, or in private message, I'm open to it.

Hope you've had a nice day! :wave:

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Being at odds with God can have roots in deliberate misinformation and distortion about God by the abuser, twisting the abusers actions to allege your wickedness, abuse by a religious person/institution, and anger at God for allowing the abuse you happen, often in spite of earnest prayers for it to stop.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You need to stop having contact those who say you have a Jezebel spirit, such people are dangerous and they prey on vulnerable people.

I pray that you will be able to find a Christian Counsellor who you can talk to. I also pray that you will be able to trust God again and be assured of His love for you.

Upvote 0