So Christ also did not glorify himself, that he might be made a high priest

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟126,260.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hebrews 5:1-10
1 For every high priest taken from among men is ordained for men in the things that appertain to God, that he may offer up gifts and sacrifices for sins: 2 Who can have compassion on them that are ignorant and that err: because he himself also is compassed with infirmity. 3 And therefore he ought, as for the people, so also for himself, to offer for sins. 4 Neither doth any man take the honour to himself, but he that is called by God, as Aaron was. 5 So Christ also did not glorify himself, that he might be made a high priest: but he that said unto him: Thou art my Son: this day have I begotten thee. 6 As he saith also in another place: Thou art a priest for ever, according to the order of Melchizedek. 7 Who in the days of his flesh, with a strong cry and tears, offering up prayers and supplications to him that was able to save him from death, was heard for his reverence. 8 And whereas indeed he was the Son of God, he learned obedience by the things which he suffered. 9 And being consummated, he became, to all that obey him, the cause of eternal salvation: 10 Called by God a high priest, according to the order of Melchizedek.
Th passage is interesting because it suggests that Christ offers for the sins of the people and for himself and thus is able to have compassion upon men who are caught in sins. Yet Christ is sinless according to the scriptures.

The passage also indicates that Christ is called to his office and did not take it upon himself. Which is also interesting since he descended from heaven to be the Christ and to fulfil the work of Priest in the order of Melchizedek.

Of course, these verses are only part of a larger argument prosecuted by the author of Hebrews.

• Informative
Reactions: bling

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Th passage is interesting because it suggests that Christ offers for the sins of the people and for himself and thus is able to have compassion upon men who are caught in sins. Yet Christ is sinless according to the scriptures.
His temptations were beyond us.
Hebrews 4:
Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession.
15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.

The apostles were witnesses to Christ's temptations,
and spoke of the glory of being an overcomer.
Luke 22:
For who is greater, he who sits at the table,
or he who serves? Is it not he who sits at the table? Yet I am among you as the One who serves.
28 But you are those who have continued with Me in My trials.
29 And I bestow upon you a kingdom, just as My Father bestowed one upon Me.

1 Peter 1:
6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perishes, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honor and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

James 1:12 Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.

2 Peter 2:9 The Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto
the day of judgment to be punished.

Reactions: bling
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 5:1-10
1 For every high priest taken from among men is ordained for men in the things that appertain to God, that he may offer up gifts and sacrifices for sins: 2 Who can have compassion on them that are ignorant and that err: because he himself also is compassed with infirmity. 3 And therefore he ought, as for the people, so also for himself, to offer for sins. 4 Neither doth any man take the honour to himself, but he that is called by God, as Aaron was. 5 So Christ also did not glorify himself, that he might be made a high priest: but he that said unto him: Thou art my Son: this day have I begotten thee. 6 As he saith also in another place: Thou art a priest for ever, according to the order of Melchizedek. 7 Who in the days of his flesh, with a strong cry and tears, offering up prayers and supplications to him that was able to save him from death, was heard for his reverence. 8 And whereas indeed he was the Son of God, he learned obedience by the things which he suffered. 9 And being consummated, he became, to all that obey him, the cause of eternal salvation: 10 Called by God a high priest, according to the order of Melchizedek.

That is interesting..

Heb 7:26 For such a High Priest was fitting for us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and has become higher than the heavens; 27 who does not need daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the people’s, for this He did once for all when He offered up Himself.

They had two sacrifices. One for the priest (since human priests were also sinners) and one for the people.

In Christ we have only one sacrifice and it is not for himself since He had no sin.

Yet Christ is sinless according to the scriptures.

Indeed

The passage also indicates that Christ is called to his office and did not take it upon himself. Which is also interesting since he descended from heaven to be the Christ

Christ's statements in the gospels always indicate that His actions are in harmony with God the Father. No dictatorial spirit between God the Father and God the Son - rather unity between those two persons of the Godhead.

John 10:17 For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it back. 18 No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it back.

John 10:18 No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. NKJV/KJV

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hebrews 5:1-10 - 1 For every high priest taken from among men is ordained for men in the things that appertain to God, that he may offer up gifts and sacrifices for sins: 2 Who can have compassion on them that are ignorant and that err: because he himself also is compassed with infirmity. 3 And therefore he ought, as for the people, so also for himself, to offer for sins. 4 Neither doth any man take the honour to himself, but he that is called by God, as Aaron was. 5 So Christ also did not glorify himself, that he might be made a high priest: but he that said unto him: Thou art my Son: this day have I begotten thee. 6 As he saith also in another place: Thou art a priest for ever, according to the order of Melchizedek. 7 Who in the days of his flesh, with a strong cry and tears, offering up prayers and supplications to him that was able to save him from death, was heard for his reverence.
8 And whereas indeed he was the Son of God, he learned obedience by the things which he suffered. 9 And being consummated, he became, to all that obey him, the cause of eternal salvation: 10 Called by God a high priest, according to the order of Melchizedek.
The passage is interesting because it suggests that Christ offers for the sins of the people and for himself and thus is able to have compassion upon men who are caught in sins. Yet Christ is sinless according to the scriptures.
In context, the passage is talking about the High Priest of the Levitical priesthood, which is being compared to Jesus Christ, the High Priest.
The passage also indicates that Christ is called to his office and did not take it upon himself. Which is also interesting since he descended from heaven to be the Christ and to fulfil the work of Priest in the order of Melchizedek.
Read the passage. . .it states that Christ did not take the glory on himself because he had been appointed to it, it had been given to him.
Of course, these verses are only part of a larger argument prosecuted by the author of Hebrews.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟126,260.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Read the passage. . .it states that Christ did not take the glory on himself because he had been appointed to it, it had been given to him.
I hope you meant this in a friendly encouraging way because it is surely obvious that I have read the passage :)

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟126,260.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, no offense intended. . .
Best to pick one's words so as not to imply that your interlocutor has not read the bible or the passage under discussion. I suspect that everyone participating in discussions in General Theology has read the passage(s) they reference.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Best to pick one's words so as not to imply that your interlocutor has not read the bible or the passage under discussion. I suspect that everyone participating in discussions in General Theology has read the passage(s) they reference.
Agreed. . .

Upvote 0