United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My Journey to being Egalitarian.

I grew up under the umbrella's shadow. It blocked out the light of the LORD and I will get into how it did this. Mother didn't work until the household budget started getting very thin and we had beans 5 times a week.

I had wanted to be baptized a Christian when I was 9. My father made me wait until I was 12. I had nightmares about burning in the fiery pit. I wasn't very happy when I was small and had to be sent to special education classes because I tended to disrupt the classroom. I was too disruptive to even go camping with girl scouts. So I never went away from home until after I turned 12.

There were the paddlings that left bruises. I was paddled over a rumple in my bed. That one was probably the worst one.

Then I turned twelve. My parents permitted me to be baptized a Christian. My Grandmother gave me a Bible for Christmas as a gift after that. I started reading it every day, and bit by bit, it set the stage, for my freedom that would come later. My behavior began to change. Finally I got sent to normal classes. Then in my teens to Christian service camp. For the first time I was experiencing, so the speak the rays of the sun and I began to flourish as a person. Then I married. My husband immediately wanted me to work to supplement the household income, but I had been emotionally malnourished growing up under that umbrella and didn't know how to interview for a job, let alone dress for an interview. During this time he took me to a friend, who taught me to drive a car. My husband wanted me to be independent. Unable to find a job I enlisted in the Navy. The military is like a rock polisher. It buffed off all the rough edges and taught me team work, it also taught me to function in the world and to be independent. I served ten years until a hereditary medical condition - celiac disease, ended my career. During this time I still read the bible.

Here are the verses that the Lord used the finally snap that umbrella shut and let the light of His glory shine and set me free.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. - Galatians 3:28

So Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, - Acts 10:34

For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. - Romans 10:12

This doesn't sit too well with my siblings, but I have learned that the Bible teaches Christ alone has spiritual authority over me, and every believer in His kingdom is a priest unto God. Nobody else has spiritual authority over anybody else.

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I have tears in my eyes reading your story! (Good tears, that is!) Wow, what a lot to overcome. It is interesting that you enlisted while you were married. Most I know went in right after school and married sometime later if they married. It sounds like your husband was supportive though and how wonderful for that!

We have so much FREEDOM in Christ and I do wish that more Christians could come to understand it because it's such a great blessing when we do!

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
My Journey to being Egalitarian.

I grew up under the umbrella's shadow. It blocked out the light of the LORD and I will get into how it did this. Mother didn't work until the household budget started getting very thin and we had beans 5 times a week.

I had wanted to be baptized a Christian when I was 9. My father made me wait until I was 12. I had nightmares about burning in the fiery pit. I wasn't very happy when I was small and had to be sent to special education classes because I tended to disrupt the classroom. I was too disruptive to even go camping with girl scouts. So I never went away from home until after I turned 12.

There were the paddlings that left bruises. I was paddled over a rumple in my bed. That one was probably the worst one.

Then I turned twelve. My parents permitted me to be baptized a Christian. My Grandmother gave me a Bible for Christmas as a gift after that. I started reading it every day, and bit by bit, it set the stage, for my freedom that would come later. My behavior began to change. Finally I got sent to normal classes. Then in my teens to Christian service camp. For the first time I was experiencing, so the speak the rays of the sun and I began to flourish as a person. Then I married. My husband immediately wanted me to work to supplement the household income, but I had been emotionally malnourished growing up under that umbrella and didn't know how to interview for a job, let alone dress for an interview. During this time he took me to a friend, who taught me to drive a car. My husband wanted me to be independent. Unable to find a job I enlisted in the Navy. The military is like a rock polisher. It buffed off all the rough edges and taught me team work, it also taught me to function in the world and to be independent. I served ten years until a hereditary medical condition - celiac disease, ended my career. During this time I still read the bible.

Here are the verses that the Lord used the finally snap that umbrella shut and let the light of His glory shine and set me free.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. - Galatians 3:28

So Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, - Acts 10:34

For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. - Romans 10:12

This doesn't sit too well with my siblings, but I have learned that the Bible teaches Christ alone has spiritual authority over me, and every believer in His kingdom is a priest unto God. Nobody else has spiritual authority over anybody else.

I would love to hear more about how the Gothard umbrella blocked out the light of the Lord for you.

I came to Christ in a large Assembly of God church about 80 miles from Gothard's HQ. While it wasn't pushed in the main sanctuary, our College and Career pastor thought Gothard's teaching was excellent, and in our group of 200 young people, going to the IBYP Seminars was the thing. Everybody did it, both to the first one and the advanced seminar. If only I had known then what I know now!

I'm so glad you're out of it, and I think it is wonderful that you, like me, came to egalitarianism solely by reading the Scriptures. That's the way it should be because that is the message! You are free in Christ, my dear sister, and a co-heir and fellow image bearer.

ee6e4e609d04b741758135b51b5fee7f.jpg

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,225,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
How does this umbrella block out the light of the Lord? Take a look at this graphic and see what between the rest of the family and Christ. As a child there were two layers between me and Christ acting as middlemen.
full

I had (Dad) and (Mom) telling me I could not become a Christian until I turned 12. I was a very curious early bloomer that was reading science books at the age of 9. I knew about the birds and bees at age 9. How could I not understand my need for Christ? And yet I had two people standing between me and Christ saying I was too young to approach Him just yet.

This type of arrangement can stifle anyone below the husband. The fatal flaw of this teaching is that he denies the power of Christ. It is all about Man. This teaching poisons everything it touches - especially if the husband has a temper or if he is abusive. What if he is Godless? The woman and the children end up yielding their rights to someone who is imperfect and who may have poor judgement. As a child imperfect human beings had attempted to confiscate my spiritual birthright.

The only umbrella we should be standing under is Christ.

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Amen! Great explanation.

I collect graphic responses to Gothard's umbrella. Every time I see another one, I keep it!

25a2eb37b7b3c74d93c2a158f84482d9.jpg

6cd23add2d1d10e93ae75fff572ddcef.jpg

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,225,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I do have something else to add here. My father today is in his 80s. He is now a very different person. He has grown in wisdom and realizes that he was in error with many of the things that he taught me. Today he is very supportive. I have a wonderful conversation with him over the phone last night.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How does this umbrella block out the light of the Lord? Take a look at this graphic and see what between the rest of the family and Christ. As a child there were two layers between me and Christ acting as middlemen.
full

This Gothard graphic is deceitful. They don't practice it quite like that. Erase the word Christ and replace it with the words Church Leaders to be more accurate.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,225,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This Gothard graphic is deceitful. They don't practice it quite like that. Erase the word Christ and replace it with the words Church Leaders to be more accurate.
This whole thing a monument to the authority and control of man, not God. God is the only authority we should be placing ourselves under.

Many years ago, I had tried 3 times to attach myself to Fundamentalist churches and I was rebuffed each time. They didn't like the fact I was a military person, and they didn't like my thick gravelly voice. I do believe God had a hand in my rejection from these groups.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By your faith identification I can tell we have much in common, including our path to spiritual freedom from under the cloud of man.

This whole thing a monument to the authority and control of man, not God. God is the only authority we should be placing ourselves under..

Amen!!

I have 2 daughters in the military but my (old) church prayed for them and didn't say anything contrary, so at least I had that.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I like visiting other churches from time to time when I can and sometimes they are conservative/fundamentalist. They have usually been pretty nice to me, but there are times when I suspect they think I'm a lesbian because apparently a happily single woman who doesn't wear dresses and is not 80 years old and widowed must automatically be a lesbian by default. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tra Phull

Ecumenical Loose Canon
Oct 24, 2019
Waco
✟45,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I went to a weeklong Gothard seminar back in college. Then a local pastor, Don Crossland, was at one time his #2 man...

I don't want to get into it, but I am amazed to still be a Christian after the scandal at Crossland' s church.

• Informative
Reactions: Endeavourer
Upvote 0