Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I just looked out of my upstairs window to find this critter curled up on the (outside) brick window sill.

It's mid-winter here so the temp is around 66 deg F - a little cool for snakes to be active. It's climbed 12 feet of vertical brick wall in search of a place in the sun and out of a chilly sea breeze.

It looks like a Carpet Python maybe 4 to 5 feet long. They aren't poisonous. They kill their prey by constriction (squeezing things to death).
OB

upload_2020-7-7_14-47-10.png

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Hmm... no thanks, you can keep that big climber, he'd eat the muffbutt that was looking in our slider door the other day.

This 'big climber' is a baby. Carpet snakes average around 7-9 feet and can get up to 14 feet.

They're also believed to live over 100 years.

I live behind the sand dunes next to the beach so I'm in snake heaven with a healthy population of (very venomous) brown snakes and an assortment of tree climbing constrictors like Green Tree Snakes and Pythons.

OB

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟747,013.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It looks very much like a carpet python to me.

Many years ago a friend and I drove up to Mount Glorious near Brisbane. On the way I spotted a carpet python just off the side of the road with a large lump about halfway down his gullet, probably an unfortunate possum or similar sized animal.

Anyway the friend wanted a photograph so he had me get as close to the snake as I could. The snake wasn't happy about this and struck at me, but fortunately it could only go as far as the meal would allow, which acted like an anchor.

It was fast - very fast. The friend wanted me to get even closer but as far as I was concerned he could get stuffed. So we left the snake to finish his meal and drove off again.

I've got a black and white photograph somewhere of the snake at full stretch, with me about a foot or so away from its head.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
UPDATE
I found my visitor around 3.00 yesterday (7 July) afternoon. It's now a little after 10.00 am the following day (8 July) and it's still snoring away on the window sill. The head has changed position a few times so it's definitely alive.

Looks like it's gone into brumation (semi-hibernation - I had to look it up). Weather today is cool (max around 60 deg F) and overcast with a good chance of light rain. Luckily the snake is tucked away in shelter under the external aluminium louvres fitted to keep the summer heat out, so it won't get wet if it rains. Since the window is on a north facing wall it will get the max exposure to sunlight/warmth.

Chances are it will stay there until we get a warmish day.

upload_2020-7-8_10-28-53.png

OB

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟747,013.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Next time you know he's sleeping, whack his head off. With a little ketchup, them's good eatin'.
If I get desperate for a meal I'll keep your advice in mind. In the meantime I'll stick to crocodile steaks from the local supermarket (really!)

Round these here parts pythons are often encouraged to take up residence in the local banana sheds. They're useful for keeping rats, mice and small children under control. They also have a habit of getting into house roof cavities when the weather gets a little cool.

OB

• Haha
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Ute driver going 100kph uses knife to battle snake trying to bite him between his legs

Under these circumstances the possibility of accidentally knifing the wrong 'snake' is a little eye watering.

OB

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
UPDATE
I found my visitor around 3.00 yesterday (7 July) afternoon. It's now a little after 10.00 am the following day (8 July) and it's still snoring away on the window sill. The head has changed position a few times so it's definitely alive.

Looks like it's gone into brumation (semi-hibernation - I had to look it up). Weather today is cool (max around 60 deg F) and overcast with a good chance of light rain. Luckily the snake is tucked away in shelter under the external aluminium louvres fitted to keep the summer heat out, so it won't get wet if it rains. Since the window is on a north facing wall it will get the max exposure to sunlight/warmth.

View attachment 280477
OB

Give me the creeps just looking at it LOL

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If I get desperate for a meal I'll keep your advice in mind. In the meantime I'll stick to crocodile steaks from the local supermarket (really!)

Round these here parts pythons are often encouraged to take up residence in the local banana sheds. They're useful for keeping rats, mice and small children under control. They also have a habit of getting into house roof cavities when the weather gets a little cool.
Do you really have croc steaks at the supermarket? I tried gator for the first time last year, but it's a novelty here. I wouldn't know where to buy it without going to Louisiana.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Give me the creeps just looking at it LOL

Pythons are stereotypically 'snakey' looking snakes. They're thick and heavy, get very long and have a big kite shaped head which looks threatening, particularly with the tongue flicking. While they can give you a nasty, non-venomous bite, if they're backed in to a corner or scared by sudden movement, they're normally fairly harmless unless you're a mouse.

Many people (not including me) keep them as pets.

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Do you really have croc steaks at the supermarket? I tried gator for the first time last year, but it's a novelty here. I wouldn't know where to buy it without going to Louisiana.
I haven't seen it for a while at my local (Woolworths) supermarket but it looks like it's still on the shelf at Coles. At $52 a kilo it's a bit expensive.

At $20 a kilo, kangaroo steak is much better value.

upload_2020-7-8_12-46-13.png

upload_2020-7-8_12-50-53.png

OB

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟747,013.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

OB

You must be somewhere in North Queensland by the sound of it. Banana sheds and crocodile steaks?

Putting carpet snakes in sheds is an old farmer's trick for rat control. I often refer to "my old pastor". He grew up on a farm in The Gap at Brisbane (long a suburb these days). When he was young, probably between the two world war years, a huge python took up residence in their shed.

He reported to his mother with teenage enthusiasm "Gee, Mum, he's a beauty!! He'll keep the rats under control!"

She replied "Either that snake goes or I do."

He argued but to no avail. So he went and got the .22 rifle, and then attended to the snake. "I'm sorry Mr. Snake, but unless you know how to cook, I'm afraid it's Mum."

It took him a while to bury it too, as it was so big.

Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟923,105.00
Faith
Atheist
UPDATE

View attachment 280477
OB
Beautiful animal

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
It's on the move.

The snake has stretched out and appears to be roaming around the window sill looking for a way down or, perhaps, a warmer spot. It tried climbing the insect screen but eventually gave up.

Now it's hanging from the louvre slats contemplating a trip down the brick wall or maybe dropping 12 - 14 feet to the grass below.... now it's coming back to the sill. Its bigger than I first thought - maybe 6 feet plus.

I ought to give it a name but I don't want to get too emotionally attached :( .
OB

upload_2020-7-8_13-3-5.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
You must be somewhere in North Queensland by the sound of it. Banana sheds and crocodile steaks?

Putting carpet snakes in sheds is an old farmer's trick for rat control. I often refer to "my old pastor". He grew up on a farm in The Gap at Brisbane (long a suburb these days). When he was young, probably between the two world war years, a huge python took up residence in their shed.

He reported to his mother with teenage enthusiasm "Gee, Mum, he's a beauty!! He'll keep the rats under control!"

She replied "Either that snake goes or I do."

He argued but to no avail. So he went and got the .22 rifle, and then attended to the snake. "I'm sorry Mr. Snake, but unless you know how to cook, I'm afraid it's Mum."

It took him a while to bury it too, as it was so big.

I'm in Northern NSW, up near Coffs Harbour. Coffs is banana growing country known infamously for the iconic Big Banana and now, increasingly, for blueberries. I'm waiting for someone to build The Big Blueberry. :)

upload_2020-7-8_13-27-41.jpeg

OB

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
OK - it's gone back into coiled- up mode - this time on the other side of the window. If you look closely you can see one little beady eye staring up at you. Earlier when it was coiled it's eyes were closed so I think it may not be fully settled into semi-hibernation.

The clouds here have built up and are looking an ominous grey. As a result the temp has dropped a few degrees. I suspect that this is what has pushed Monty (yes - a name! - Monty Python - what else?) back onto the sill.

OB
upload_2020-7-8_14-14-35.png

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟747,013.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm in Northern NSW, up near Coffs Harbour. Coffs is banana growing country known infamously for the iconic Big Banana and now, increasingly, for blueberries. I'm waiting for someone to build The Big Blueberry. :)

View attachment 280484

OB

I'm a bit surprised you've got crocodile steaks on sale. Coffs isn't croc country.

I knew a chap from our church who spent most of his life in Coffs Harbour. Apparently the CSIRO did a survey some time ago, and declared CH has Australia's best climate.

That's why you've got so many snakes - they like a comfortable climate - not too hot, not too cold, plus glassy windows to climb up for reflected heat.

How about "The Big Python"?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm a bit surprised you've got crocodile steaks on sale. Coffs isn't croc country.
No - fortunately we don't have crocs. The croc meat I was buying was from Woolworths supermarket. The ad for croc meat I posted was from Coles online. I assumed that croc meat is/was available at all (or most) Woolies/Coles supermarkets across the country.
That's why you've got so many snakes - they like a comfortable climate - not too hot, not too cold, plus glassy windows to climb up for reflected heat.

How about "The Big Python"?

Yeah - I bet a "Big Python" would do wonders for the tourist trade :rolleyes:

OB

Upvote 0