Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
They say that if you quit some other bad habit, like junk food, at the same time, it makes it easier.

It's best to do it cold turkey I think. My mom did, and it's hard...but she hasn't smoked in 16 years :)

I will agree with this. I recently quit smoking and while I had only smoked since I was 16 I was smoking almost a pack a day. You just need to find other things to do to keep your mind occupied when you would usually smoke, cuz it's all in your head! I used to smoke a lot while driving. Recently I downloaded some of my favorite worship songs and now I sing when I drive. I chew a lot of gum too. But different people require different techniques! I tried a lot of things before this.... You just have to do it, and set your mind to it. When you think about buying that next pack, don't. If you don't have them, you can't smoke them! Get rid of all your lighters too!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I just wanted to know if any one here has/had a problam with smoking. I have been smoking since I was 12 years old and have been doing it ever since. I really want to quit but it's soo hard, does any one have any good advice?

Thank you,

-Krista
when you find a way, let me know.

i'm a chain smoker. pack to pack and a half a day. my problem is my mental desire to quit isn't there, so regardless of the benefits or how bad it is, quitting seems humerous for those of us who really like to smoke.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I've never smoked and never plan to.

My parents have used the patch to quit once and it worked for them. They did start smoking though after a stressful situation. Just don't go cold turkey....probably not the best idea. My stepfather thought he was going to "be tough" and just stop and he became a very irratable person and wasn't fun to be around. Some can do it (my biological father just stopped after 30 years of smoking without a problem), but for most it'll just cause more setbacks.

Upvote 0

xXxKristaxXx

Never regret anything that made you smile.
Aug 19, 2004
Florida.
✟17,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
when you find a way, let me know.

i'm a chain smoker. pack to pack and a half a day. my problem is my mental desire to quit isn't there, so regardless of the benefits or how bad it is, quitting seems humerous for those of us who really like to smoke.
I know how you feel, I went from smoking a pack and a half a day to just maybe 10 a day. It was a big cut down for me and my boyfriend really would like me to quit but honestly I like it, it makes me feel alot better when I'm stressed or depressed.

Upvote 0

xXxKristaxXx

Aug 19, 2004
Florida.
✟17,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I've never smoked and never plan to.

My parents have used the patch to quit once and it worked for them. They did start smoking though after a stressful situation. Just don't go cold turkey....probably not the best idea. My stepfather thought he was going to "be tough" and just stop and he became a very irratable person and wasn't fun to be around. Some can do it (my biological father just stopped after 30 years of smoking without a problem), but for most it'll just cause more setbacks.
Good, you should never start.

Everyone that I've asked about the patch tell me that it dosent work but I guess it really depends on the person. I've also heard that the gum works but it is pretty disgusting and I cant deal with that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Good, you should never start.

Everyone that I've asked about the patch tell me that it dosent work but I guess it really depends on the person. I've also heard that the gum works but it is pretty disgusting and I cant deal with that.

i tried the gum. it did good till stress came. as well as with about 5-6 bottles of water a day with it. something i thought could replace the hand thing with cigarettes.

i've never tried the patch. i've heard it has worked for some and not for others. my thoughts are, i'm an addict to nicoteine, tar, co2 in my lungs. so it takes away some of the things with smoking but it gives the actual addictive substance into your system. so since i cannot come to grasp with quitting fully yet, it's just defeating the purpose, because i'll go and buy a pack, which i know a person who did both(patch and smoking)...not a good idea ;)

Upvote 0

xXxKristaxXx

Aug 19, 2004
Florida.
✟17,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
i tried the gum. it did good till stress came. as well as with about 5-6 bottles of water a day with it. something i thought could replace the hand thing with cigarettes.

i've never tried the patch. i've heard it has worked for some and not for others. my thoughts are, i'm an addict to nicoteine, tar, co2 in my lungs. so it takes away some of the things with smoking but it gives the actual addictive substance into your system. so since i cannot come to grasp with quitting fully yet, it's just defeating the purpose, because i'll go and buy a pack, which i know a person who did both(patch and smoking)...not a good idea ;)
Yeah my brother told me (who also smokes and has been for about 6-7 years now) that the patch is very addictive, why do I want to quit smoking and get addicted to the patch?? It dosent make since to me, lol.

Upvote 0

fritzo

Nov 20, 2007
Dallas area
✟7,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Work up the willpower, and just go cold turkey. Everyone I know who has ever quit smoking went cold turkey.

It's hard, you get nervous, irritable, and unpleasant, but it's the only way. Going to gum, patches, pills, etc. will only keep the chemical dependency going. You just gotta stick with it.

I smoke maybe 2-3 cigarettes a week. I'ts an enjoyable treat after a large meal, but I don't think I could smoke more that 2 cigarettes a day. It's always been too inconvenient, disgusting, and harmful for that. That being said, about 80% of the people I work with smoke at least a pack a day. And about 50% of the people I work with smoke weed at least 3-4 times a week.
Just seeing what they go through is enough to keep me off nicotine.

Upvote 0
Q

Quoth

I smoke nearly a pack a day. I know what it'd take for me to quit smoking, but right now in my life I've got "bigger fish to fry." I don't want to smoke my entire life, but I also don't want to quit right now. Don't quit smoking until you want to, but also be ready to accept all the consequences that come with it.

You might try some Over-The-Counter remedies available at Walgreens or other Drug Store Pharmacies.

Upvote 0