Small update on Technical Issues at ChristianForums.com (April 6, 2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
First, we had a major database crash, compounded with some issues with the datacenter and server. That was rebuilt, albeit the time stamps are likely still messed up, and likely will be that way until CF is upgraded.

Going forward, CF has been replicated on a second system, including a copy of the database. That is being used as test bed, as well as a dry run for the upgrade. Rather than the original plan of migrate and tweak, Lee made a call to do it carefully, rather than rush and chase bugs for months

In addition, we did discuss bringing the site offline, but the call was made to keep it up, even if its hard to use.

Lee is doing a lot of work behind the scenes. Beyond the 3 server guys we had in the past, Lee has 2 more guys on it. He also has added more tech staff to assist with the upgrade.

I wish I had a definitive timeframe, but alas I do not at this time, either for repair, or for the upgrade. My guess is some things were unearthed which proved a lot more complex than expected.

I also wish to apologize for bad communications. Unlike in the past, where some usergroups were kept alive while the site was down, ie sort of a safe mode on a different server for comms and maintenance purposes, this time out, we are in the same boat as the members. Sometimes we can post and pm, and for much of the other times, we are locked out, or the site crashes on us.

In addition... I hope this works, annoumcements is broken, and I can't access it. This is an attempt to work around it, which may or may not be successful.

Again, my apologies
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.