Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did it ever occur to you to read the article and any do any other research before making arguments that are factually incorrect?

The article in the OP is just a rehash of a Dallas News article:
Texas newspaper removed same-sex couple from obit for 'religious and ethical reasons' | News | Dallas News

In that article (and in the article in the OP), the publisher of the newspaper is quite explicit about why he deliberately removed the reference to this man's husband:

Additionally, the Olton News (the paper in question) has a web site that allows easy access to back issues, and you can see for yourself that they do mention spouses of family members:

The Olton Enterprise

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/1960ae59-546e-46f2-9cbf-f97f42be178c/downloads/1c8j2stll_124001.pdf

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/1960ae59-546e-46f2-9cbf-f97f42be178c/downloads/1c7elmoes_635754.pdf

This stuff isn't hard to find.

Sorry, PDF formats take too long to download on my cell phone. I can't see it.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In all the obituaries of those I have been close to survivors spouses have been included. In one case a same sex spouse.

I have too. It's really pathetic and shameful, and it's also very biased, for the man's husband to be left out of the obituary. It's really pathetic that religious based discrimination against LGBT still exists in this country today. But it's not surprising considering where the intolerance came from though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. You're dead wrong. :cool:

Obituaries tend to say who the person is "survived by", and that does not include childrens spouses. Only the deceased persons spouse would be mentioned, if they're still alive.

When my parents passed away, I mentioned my wife and my sister-n-law. The editor printed it as I wrote it...as it should be.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,450.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
What a strange argument.

A friend of mine has had to bury both his mother and his grandmother. In both instances, his wife was mentioned.

ALL of that though, is TOTALLY moot. If the obituary was written a certain way and was paid for, what right is there to remove information from the article.

I would 100% expect when my parents pass away that either of them would WANT their children's spouses to be acknowledged as they are a part of their lives in the same way that the grandparents are.

How people are justifying this action is baffling to me (flaunting? what???)

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think this really comes down to one thing...... In this small, conservative town, was this mother ashamed of her son, and thus never told anyone he was partnered with another man?

Or, was she proud of his perversion and announced it to everyone?

It sounds like it might have been the former, and the editor of the newspaper was trying not to shame her memory with her friends in that town.

Still, not legally correct when he accepted $$$ to print what the homosexual son gave him to print, but certainly what anyone who has ever lived in a small town might expect someone (the editor) to do who cared about the deceased.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,450.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Do you trust that iluvatar is not making that up and perhaps you've been misinformed in regards to obits and what seems to be more than a bit of an antequated understanding of what is included in it.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,450.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think this really comes down to one thing...... In this small, conservative town, was this mother ashamed of her son, and thus never told anyone he was partnered with another man?

Or, was she proud of his perversion and announced it to everyone?
What if she was proud of her son and didn't focus on his sin?

It sounds like it might have been the former, and the editor of the newspaper was trying not to shame her memory with her friends in that town.
Shaming a dead person? I'm not so sure she's so worried about her reputation. Besides, it sounds like her and her son's partner had a very close relationship.

Still, not legally correct when he accepted $$$ to print what the homosexual son gave him to print, but certainly what anyone who has ever lived in a small town might expect someone (the editor) to do who cared about the deceased.
If there's one thing I know about small town people it's that their children NEVER care for their parents or the deceased.
How preposterous to suggest that this editor cared more about the man's mother than he did without knowing the individuals at all.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you trust that iluvatar is not making that up and perhaps you've been misinformed in regards to obits and what seems to be more than a bit of an antequated understanding of what is included in it.

Nobody ever admits when they're wrong on these forums, rambot. I don't see why I should have to.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,450.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Nobody ever admits when they're wrong on these forums, rambot. I don't see why I should have to.
Uh....I do. I don't do it often, but I do it when I think I've been proven wrong especially after I take a (confident sounding) guess at something.

Regardless, really it's more about being honest with yourself than proving anything to anyone else anyways.

So, no pressure from me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think it's more of an issue of honor for a person on this forum to admit when they are wrong and not an issue of whether other people on this forum admit their mistakes too. I have admitted when I was wrong when I was shown to be wrong and I wasn't concerned if other people did or not.

Reactions: Snappy1
Upvote 0

Snappy1

Feb 19, 2018
Arkansas
✟30,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
You're gonna have to kick it up a notch. Because that was some weak sauce.
emeril-lagasse-bam-pic.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's more of an issue of honor for a person on this forum to admit when they are wrong and not an issue of whether other people on this forum admit their mistakes too. I have admitted when I was wrong when I was shown to be wrong and I wasn't concerned if other people did or not.

I used to do it, but now I'm not going to anymore. I've learned that it's not cool and is less intelligent. We're all a product of our surroundings, for better or worse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to do it, but now I'm not going to anymore. I've learned that it's not cool and is less intelligent. We're all a product of our surroundings, for better or worse.

It's a matter of honor for me to admit my mistakes. I'm not concerned about what other people think of me admitting my mistakes because their opinion about me doing so is irrelevant to me.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,450.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Too bad. You should read about a growth mindset. Pretty cool stuff. In yhe meantime though theres nothing wrong with being mistaken. Its the first step in becoming right AND leaning. And thats a good thing! Im not trying to be facetious or condescending either.

Being wrong is not less intelligent. Stubborninfly refusing toaccept you are qro g now that is less intelligent.

Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Seriously? That is a shameful attitude. If you're wrong and you know you're wrong, it says much more positive things about your character if you just admit your mistake.

We're all wrong sometimes, there's nothing inherently bad or embarrassing about it. It only becomes humiliating if people refuse to accept that, and double down on their mistakes in an attempt to avoid backing down.

Reactions: Snappy1
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status