Peoria
✟9,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So our 16 month old, Henry - is not the best sleeper. Compared to people I know, we've got it pretty good and should not complain.... but here is is.

Almost every night Henry wakes up around 10-11pm screaming hysterically (and almost waking his 3yr old brother). The only way to make it stop is to let him sleep on you - he then transfers easily to his crib again. He then wakes up around 5:30 - 6 AM and is up for good - even though his is tired. If you snuggle him just right, he'll fall back asleep until 7.

We use a white noise maker, we have black out curtains, and he has a stuffed animal. Any thoughts on how to get him to sleep soundly? Our 3yr old has been sleeping a solid 12 hours since he was 7 months old so we are just unsure how to help our little babe.

• Prayers
Reactions: St_Worm2

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
could be cold feet--literally. Try putting a heating pad at the bottom of his crib at night, or else have him wear socks to bed and see if that helps.

I remember waking up in the middle of the night when I was a toddler.
The bottom half of my bed was icy cold, and I was afraid to put my feet down there, because I didn't know what was lurking in that icy space waiting to gobble up my feet.

Upvote 0

ZekeB

May 27, 2020
Peoria
✟9,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
could be cold feet--literally. Try putting a heating pad at the bottom of his crib at night, or else have him wear socks to bed and see if that helps.

The bottom half of my bed was icy cold, and I was afraid to put my feet down there, because I didn't know what was lurking in that icy space waiting to gobble up my feet.

Thanks for your input! He "runs" hot and does not like blankets on himself, but I guess I can't rule out being actually cold. His room is around 73 degrees... I'll run that by the wife as we both know I just get to give input on these types of things. (My suggestion has been, and still is, to just make him cry it out and he learns that he won't be rescued every time he cries.....)

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for your input! He "runs" hot and does not like blankets on himself, but I guess I can't rule out being actually cold. His room is around 73 degrees... I'll run that by the wife as we both know I just get to give input on these types of things. (My suggestion has been, and still is, to just make him cry it out and he learns that he won't be rescued every time he cries.....)

That's good info! And yes, 73 is a good temp for a young child. They get cold sooner than adults do because they have less body mass to heat the bed with.

As for the blankets, if possible get some crib blankets that are 100% cotton. Those will keep him warm, and yet will not lock in the heat and make him too hot like blankets with polyester will. And the same thing with sheets; all cotton, no polyester. Sweet Dreams!

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a parent, we can pray on BEHALF of our children. There is a power in prayer. We can seek for God for answer to a request.

Lord Jesus,
We pray on behalf of our child,.....
Today we may have done or said things not right before. Forgive us and our children for all our righteousness. Thank you, Lord.
Now we seek your help for our child,....; we do not know why our child wake up at night and scream but You know, Lord.
I ask for your help!
Go, ministering spirits or angels, guard my child, in the name of Jesus Christ I ask.
I trust you, Lord that in peace my child will lie and sleep; for You alone, O Lord, make my child dwell in safety.
Amen

Just pray again and again whenever you or your wife have concerned thoughts and feelings that come over you. Pray again and again until the fear and anxiety in your hearts disappear.
Trust God answer prayers. Even God can command his angels to guard your family, but you need to pray to appropriate His promise.

GBU

Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2020
Los Angeles
✟9,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yeah this might help. I do too when i was a toddler. How is he doing now?

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

He could be having night terrors or nightmares. "Screaming hysterically" doesn't sound like normal, sleepy, middle-of-the-night crying. How about just sitting in his room from 10 to 11 each night to make sure he's not alone and at the first sign of distress, he can be comforted back to sleep?

Upvote 0