• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Sleep Apnea Mouthpieces

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have sleep apnea. Has anyone had any success with mouthpieces for treating this?
My 26yr old daughter has the same condition. She uses a sleep machine with a mouthpiece, which works well. She is used to it and it does not disturb her sleep. The sleep machine was provided free of charge by our local health authority.

• Friendly
Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have sleep apnea. Has anyone had any success with mouthpieces for treating this?
I've had sleep apnea all of my life...I've used several different devices but the best I've ever used was a CPAP....Now I sleep, Now I rest...A CPAP lasts for about five years and I'm on my forth one. Personally I do not recommend any other device... The hardest thing I had to learn was "Don't try to kiss your wife once you put on the mask.. She really doesn't like that. LOL

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have sleep apnea also. Due to a nasal surgery, I don't get much air through one side of my sinus. They tried fitting me with the nose only CPAP mask, didn't work, just like I told them.. The mask over mouth and nose worked wonders for me, though it did take some getting used to. I now feel well rested after about 7 hours of sleep. It has retrained my body and I don't use it all the time anymore.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The problem with mouth pieces for some people is that they feel like they are pushing your teeth around. The best option (especially for loud snoring) is an air machine that uses a mask that covers the nose and mouth called CPAP (i.e. Continuous Positive Airway Pressure).

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I have sleep apnea also. Due to a nasal surgery, I don't get much air through one side of my sinus. They tried fitting me with the nose only CPAP mask, didn't work, just like I told them.. The mask over mouth and nose worked wonders for me, though it did take some getting used to. I now feel well rested after about 7 hours of sleep. It has retrained my body and I don't use it all the time anymore.
Thank you. I have a CPAP mouth and nose mask. Guess I need to breakdown and use it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's me (a guy) with the sleep apnea. I have tried the CPAP. It's just such a hassle to clean and wear, but not a mask. Is there one that you know of?
Theres a full nose/mouth mask and a nasal mask. I suggest you go back to your Dr and discuss some options. If you have sleep apnoea your going to feel fatigued all the time and snore. You should continue with your CPAP. I dont know what your BMI is but it helps enormously if you can attain a normal BMI.

• Informative
Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Theres a full nose/mouth mask and a nasal mask. I suggest you go back to your Dr and discuss some options. If you have sleep apnoea your going to feel fatigued all the time and snore. You should continue with your CPAP. I dont know what your BMI is but it helps enormously if you can attain a normal BMI.
Thanks. Good point on the BMI. I'm probably heavier (at 6' 0'' 195 lbs) than I should be. One excuse that I have for not losing weight is that I have colitis. It's been under control for a couple of years now, but in the past I've dropped serious weight during a flare-up. I don't like the idea of not having pounds to lose.

Upvote 0