catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I instead have eluded to, is that God is indifferent to such beating, allows for it, condones it, and/or likes as such.

Repeatedly addressed in a decisive way : Slavery IS Regulated in the Bible! post link
--
"Jesus Himself even used precisely beating slaves as the instance, the general metaphor, for evil.

45 “Who then is the faithful and sensible slave whom his master put in charge of his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 “Blessed is that slave whom his master finds so doing when he comes. 47 “Truly I say to you that he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48 “But if that evil slave says in his heart, ‘My master is not coming for a long time,’ 49 and begins to beat his fellow slaves and eat and drink with drunkards; 50 the master of that slave will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour which he does not know, 51 and will cut him in pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
--Matthew 24 NASB

Beating slaves here is used as the chosen example that stands for all evil.

If continued in -- mistreating others/'beating slaves' -- this abuse of others will lead to the "second death" in the Day of Judgement, the place with "weeping and gnashing of teeth".

God evidently disapproves of beating slaves so powerfully/clearly/forcefully that He specifically uses exactly that 'beat the other slaves' (we are all His slaves) to represent every kind of abuse -- evil -- from A-Z.

I would acknowledge those verses, however I'm not convinced you understand the implications of verses 26-27. See my comment to the next quote.

The Bible gives no command to beat your slave just short of death. Would you like to also concede that? Remember what can not be disputed is that there was no punishment for the mistreatment of slaves in the Bible. Slaves had rights and everything else should be suspect to injecting ideas into the text that aren't there.

It is not disputed that the Israelis who left Egypt were also slaves, so no, they were not merely foreigners.

Apart from the above replies, what I find very curious is why does a nation of slaves who are set free, turn around and likewise decide to keep the institution of slavery? The easy answer is to blame God, but I believe it's largely due to mankind trying to keep civilization alive with all it's warts. After all they didn't have pension plans, social health care and welfare benefits. Never mind mass transit, computers and space stations.

After we point out that error in the lynchpin idea being used that God condones/approves of slavery, likes it, etc. -- the pattern previously is the poster will soon enough reasserts his theories points (paste them) over and over as if the clear counterexample does not exist.

After a while, people stop responding to him, and then he claims no one could answer, and repeats his favorite bullet points. Quite a few times now! (is it 12, or 14 now?)

It's even possible he might not realize his idea God approves of beating slaves has been clearly shown false. It could be an unintentional blindness even. It might not be possible to help him out of it.

Upvote 0

PhantomGaze

Carry on my wayward son.
Aug 16, 2012
✟29,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No. You've never seen that exact conversation in the Bible. I was using a metaphor. What you've seen in the Bible is:

“Thy bond-men and thy bond-maids which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you: of them shall ye buy bond-men and bond-maids. Moreover, of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land. And they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession, they shall be your bond-man forever.”
Leviticus 25:44-46
and
“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be punished; for the slave is his money.”
Exodus 21:20-21 (RSV)
and
Slaves, be obedient to those who are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ; not by way of eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart.
Ephesians 6.
and
Slaves, in all things obey those who are your masters on earth, not with external service, as those who merely please men, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.
Colossians 3.
and
Servants, be submissive to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and gentle, but also to those who are unreasonable. For this finds favor, if for the sake of conscience toward God a person bears up under sorrows when suffering unjustly.
1 Peter 2

There's only one reasonable way to look at passages like those, and it's to believe that they are saying that the Bible says that slaves can be captured, bought, sold and punished, and that God wants them to be obedient to their masters.

So the Bible saying slaves could be captured, bought, sold, etc., does not mean that the Bible is at any point implying that buying, selling, capturing, etc. slaves is God's ideal. The Early Church actually denied communion to those who kept concubines as well as a wife for example, and what is allowed, and what isn't tends to be changed even within the Bible. This would be strange if these laws weren't compromises with humans who wouldn't obey better laws with a larger story of redeeming humanity and changing them in mind.

A moment. It may be that there were worse and more despicable systems of slavery than the one described by the Bible, but that is hardly an excuse. At best, you're making the same argument as the pro-slavery Christians of the antebellum era - that slavery was a good thing, providing it was properly conducted.
No. That's misconstruing my argument. YOU are arguing that the Bible that God was telling the Israelites that slavery was a good thing. I was saying limiting a behavior is not necessarily saying it's good, but that God was willing to compromise with humans to employ laws they were willing and capable of following even though they were not his ideal. We actually see this explicitly articulated in the new testament in the concept of divorce wherein Jesus said he allowed it under certain circumstances only because men's hearts were hard.

You're quite wrong. I don't care in the slightest whether the Bible is pro- or anti-slavery. I just recognise what it does say, and am stating the case.
Yeah... I don't buy that.

Not everyone has to agree for something for it to be true. Besides which, the Bible was wrong. Slavery is a bad thing. We all agree on that. The slaveholders of the South were morally wrong - but scripturally correct.

Where do you get this idea that Slavery is wrong? You're basing these notions on values you've already inherited by a culture that has garnered its values from a logical extension of Christian beliefs. You're entire argument is based upon values you've inherited. You've no reason to think you would inherit the same values in a different world without Christianity.

I wonder if you can see how very, very weak this argument is? Do you think that just because you can say something in response to another point of view, that yours is correct?
No, the Bible doesn't start, on the first page, by proclaiming slavery. But, in multiple instances, it does speak of slavery, setting up rules for it, and showing absolutely no disapproval of it.

Again you appear to have misconstrued my point. You were arguing that the Bible "encourages" slavery as if it viewed it as some moral good. I responded by pointing out how you were wrong. Not only in your specific claim, but in your general claim as well.

Good. So, then, we agree that the Bible is pro-slavery.
This is like saying that Aesop must have been pro-genocide because he didn't include an argument about it in his fables. Or that the Constitution must be pro-rape since it didn't give any specific injunctions against it. Just because Jesus didn't say anything specifically about it doesn't mean he liked it. He simply didn't explicitly mention it that we have recorded. He might have taught injunctions against it. The argument from silence in history is pretty weak.

You could be right about this one. Jesus didn't actually say much at all about slavery. But he did say a lot about other things which he thought were wrong, and never said a word against the slave trade. In addition, the Apostles did the same, and they did sometimes praise slavery. The only inference we can draw is that the Bible - both Old and New Testaments - was pro-slavery.
I don't think exhorting someone to follow society's laws is necessarily a validation of society's ethics, only that Early Christians did believe in obeying the law.

Not in the slightest. You should be aware that when Paul said "neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male or female," he was speaking about the issue of circumcision. Paul was saying, "It doesn't matter where you came from or what your position is, you are all Christians". This was not, in any sense, saying that Jews should speak Greek, that women should become men, or that all slaves should be freed. Go and read Galatians, and you'll see.

No... Here is Galatians 3. No mention of circumcision at all.
In context:

23 Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian. 26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, according to the promise.

No. Just the facts. If you want to know if the Bible endorses slavery, then just read it, and you'll see that it does.

See, I've responded by pointing out that the greater context of scripture militates against slavery, and I've pointed out the logical extension of Christian ideas militates against slavery. These things were usually ignored.

What you said was:
"In other words, it was the West's adoption of Christian values that caused us to eventually abandon slavery. The pagan world certainly wasn't going to. If we eliminate Christianity as you seem to hope we do, we lose the meta-ethical basis for the eradication of slavery."
At the time, I had to leave to catch a bus to the airport, so my answer was cut short. Still, "Nonsense! Sheer supposition," is the essence. The full answer should have been:
First, it wasn't the West's adoption of Christian values that caused us to abandon slavery. While Christianity had an enormous impact on western culture, the question is far more complicated than that, with many factors in play.
Second, there's no way you could have known what the pagan world, in the hypothetical situation of it continuing, might or might not have done.

See this strikes me as magical thinking. You seem to have this strange notion that history was magically destined to eradicate slavery no matter what value system was behind it, that humans magically become better and more ethical creatures as time goes on. More than likely, you would be a product of whatever culture that resulted from a lack of Christianity in such a scenario, and you would be charging something along the lines of Nietzsche that something like Christianity was inferior for its morality that valued equality and empathy rather than endorsing the "birds of prey" to follow their own nature.
Third, I've shown throughout this whole thread (although you may not have believed it) that slavery is based on the Bible, and that the abolitionist side simply interpreted the Bible to suit their (superior) morals.
Fourth, that has nothing to do with the subject of this discussion: is the Bible pro-slavery or not?

You seem to just repeat yourself no matter how many times people explain things to you. This doesn't count as demonstrating anything. You've argued a few different claims in our discussion. You've argued that God approves of slavery, (to which I've responded by pointing out that the grander story of the Bible, and logical extension of Christian thought rejects it, so saying that the Christian God approves of it is disingenuous) the Bible endorses slavery and encourages it, (again this smacks of disingenuous argumentation as I've pointed out while specific books of the Bible contain historical laws of Israel which debatably endorse slavery, though never seeing it as some kind of wonderful thing like you seem to imply, but the Bible as a story does not address it specifically, and has principles that directly militate against it.) Finally, you argued that the Bible *says* slavery is ok. Which is accurate but it is in some places, and the Bible says a lot of things in some places that don't find continuity in the larger story. I don't think you're making arguments that appear to be disingenuous on purpose, I think you really believe what you're saying, but I think that also means you haven't taken the Bible seriously as a piece of literature and really sought to discover what it means. (Or maybe you're not a very literary type?)

Yes, it is.
First, you've just committed a huge oversimplification, on both sides. Second, we have no way of knowing how pagan views may have changed over time.

Again things don't happen for no reason. Even if it were possible, there's no guarantee that any particular future would have happened. All we can say for sure is that Christianity, and Christian values have resulted in the eradication of slavery (from the western world at least) we don't know that this would have happened in any other. To assume such would be magical thinking.
It's fair to say that Christianity had an impact on western culture, but again, you simplify the case too much.
This from the same guy who was earlier complaining about Christians always making complex arguments. The point is that the Pagan world had every reason not to develop an abolition movement because they lacked the value system that lead to the abolition movement, sure maybe there is a non-zero chance, but there's also a non-zero chance that you'll be teleported across the universe into some spot in outer space at any given second, and I'm sure you're not counting on that happening.

Again though, even just the fact that Christianity brought about the Abolition movement thought the logical extension of its principles is in my view a solid clincher of the overall point of this thread, the question of whether you atheists get to get away with trying to indict the Christian God on being pro slavery. The answer is no.

But that's not what we're discussing here. We're talking about whether or not the Bible endorses slavery.
I'm very curious about this, if you could choose to eliminate God, and accept slavery, or eliminate slavery and accept God, which would you choose?

That is not inconsistent with the Bible supporting slavery. After all, the governing principle most often demonstrated in the Bible is a divine monarchy, not democracy. In any case, this still has nothing to do with whether or not the Bible supports slavery.

You just argued that knowing that Christianity has a value system that means equality for all, and upholds the value of the disenfranchised doesn't mean that the Bible ultimately opposes slavery. Do you realize that the New Testament is largely a story of Christ, and the early church with a lot of Christian doctrine, but it is not exhaustive. You just gave away the game... but then again, you seem to have been missing that point the entire thread.

In any case, it's been nice chatting, but I have a bad habit of getting myself involved in debates to the point where I don't get other important things done. As such, this is going to be my last response. I hope I haven't been too combative. I wanted to offer one more response before I left. God bless.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
Repeatedly addressed in a decisive way : Slavery IS Regulated in the Bible! post link
--
"Jesus Himself even used precisely beating slaves as the instance, the general metaphor, for evil.

45 “Who then is the faithful and sensible slave whom his master put in charge of his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 “Blessed is that slave whom his master finds so doing when he comes. 47 “Truly I say to you that he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48 “But if that evil slave says in his heart, ‘My master is not coming for a long time,’ 49 and begins to beat his fellow slaves and eat and drink with drunkards; 50 the master of that slave will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour which he does not know, 51 and will cut him in pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
--Matthew 24 NASB

Beating slaves here is used as the chosen example that stands for all evil.

If continued in -- mistreating others/'beating slaves' -- this abuse of others will lead to the "second death" in the Day of Judgement, the place with "weeping and gnashing of teeth".

Dude, we've already repeatedly been over this. Lemme refresh your memory. 1. "When the cat's away, the mice will play." 2. Also, slaves are not allowed to beat other slaves. Only the slave masters can beat their slaves.

Please read the verses in context, and please do not try to pull a fast one ;)

You've got nutt'n, so you are spinning verses to throw off the scent. You failed to include the parts leading up to this cited verse, which changes the landscape entirely. Along with the fact the verses speak about slaves not being allowed to beat their fellow slaves. For that is the slave master's call, not the slave. The slave is merely property:

'42 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.
45 “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47 Truly I tell you, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of.'

God evidently disapproves of beating slaves so powerfully/clearly/forcefully that He specifically uses exactly that 'beat the other slaves' (we are all His slaves) to represent every kind of abuse -- evil -- from A-Z.

Nope.

Again, the verse speaks about the disallowance of the slave, taking it upon themselves, to beat their fellow slaves.

After a while, people stop responding to him, and then he claims no one could answer, and repeats his favorite bullet points. Quite a few times now! (is it 12, or 14 now)

It's even possible he might not realize his idea God approves of beating slaves has been clearly shown false. It could be an unintentional blindness even. It might not be possible to help him out of it.

Well, I gather (you) stopped responding, because you have failed to even meet your burden of proof, that the Bible does not endorse slavery, including chattle slavery ;)

And yes, you were given at least a dozen formal chances to do so :)

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Okay. Do you then at least admit, that if God is the inspiring author of such verses, then God has no problem with slavery then, now, and forever? Stay tuned.
What do you mean by inspiring the author? He doesn't just plop ideas out of the blue into a person's head and have those ideas written down. Like slavery is wrong and immoral. However He does give them some laws regarding the treatment of slaves.

It depends upon how you are issuing the challenge? I don't recall ever stating God 'commands' that slave masters are to beat, must beat, or are told to beat their slaves. What I instead have eluded to, is that God is indifferent to such beating, allows for it, condones it, and/or likes as such.
These thing you are eluding to are about what motivated God several thousands of years ago. These ideas enter our time after a historically long chain of events and without understanding their social and natural environment along with their limited technological knowledge. These things being eluded to and imputed to God are being based on us not being there. Basically we have no idea about how much beating took place or whether or not God condoned it or just as likely, He was being merciful to the state of civilization back then. What is clear is we are not mind readers Romans 11:33-34 .

To me, it appears way more simple than this. As I stated long ago, in this thread, it would appear more likely that all such verses, pertaining to the topic of slavery, were invented and created by man. Would you agree? Because if not, you still must answer for Exodus 21:20-21 and Leviticus 25:44-46 for starters.
I have already given you my analysis about those verses and I have given a relative comment about inspiration in this post about the idea that the Bible is invented and created by man.

Naturally any reader of the Bible would have a decision to make. Either the Bible is a fictitious work or Moses saw God face to face as one man speaks to a friend.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As long as you were/are a Hebrew.

Otherwise, it would appear 'God" allows/sanctions/condones a lifetime of slavery, with virtually no restrictions in 'punishment', just short of death.

As a disclaimer, this topic would never rear it's 'ugly' head, if there existed even one verse in the Bible stating something to the affect of, 'don't own humans as property.' Or, never mentioned slavery at all. But instead, it provides the contrary.

As another disclaimer, I'm not addressing the 'moral' implications. I'm instead mentioning this topic because when 'slavery' is thrown out there, from a non-believer, the believer quite often uses the word 'regulate'. Which implies, at least to me, that the believer too does not agree with 'slavery' and is using 'apologetics tactics'.

I know this topic is anything but new, but I have to bring it up, because it would more likely appear that such verses were written by humans, whom simply passed them off as God pronouncements. Which is yet another reason non-believers can so easily read from this book and not take it too seriously.

Thoughts?
Many times the chosen people were reminded that they were once slaves. Usually said to give weight to good moral behaviour. God didn't intend for slavery to ever exist again. Had the ban imposed on them by God been obeyed fully when they made war to take the promised land there would not have been slaves among them. Had they done that slavery would have been a condition that only they would have experienced among the peoples in the history of salvation. Since the ban was not obeyed faithfully an enemy population within the community had to become part of the economy.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think you know as well as I do that when our audience here thinks about the term "pro-slavery," they most often do so within the context of referring to the suffering(s) undergone by African people(s) under the hands of white, supposedly Christian, slavers of both European and American (and Near Eastern, by the way) descent.

What we DON'T want to do is to leave the impression that if we feel inclined to apply a fairly loose term like 'pro-slavery' to what we think we see in the texts of the O.T. that the use of this same term has much in the way of any real similarity to how we usually apply it to what we know transpired in the Antebellum South of the U.S.

Kapeesh?!
With all due respect, we are not here to educate our audience. I don't really think they will get the wrong idea, but if they do, that need not concern us. We are here to examine the Bible and see if it is in favour of slavery.
Or maybe you just have a problem with focusing too much on singular details at the expense of all other necessary details?
No; the only problem is people who want to take a simple question and over-complicate it.

It's over? I thought we were waiting for it to begin?
We are. I've presented evidence from the Bible that it is pro-slavery, and I'm waiting for you to address it. That's not me being snide, it's me being factual. So far, you have done very little to explain why the verses about slavery are not in favour of it.
Well, boo hoo for the fact of complicating details! Whatever will we do with the reality that weighs in on us here in regard to 'biblical slavery'?
The only problem is people who want to take a simple question and over-complicate it.
Ok. I won't admit that I'm wrong.
You, sir, are a prophet.
We can also establish that the overall context is that ..............if the people of the world weren't utterly sinful, God wouldn't allow them to be prone to being vulnerable to slavery. :rolleyes:
Or maybe He just thinks it's a good thing. That would certainly be totally consistent with what we discover of God's character in the Bible.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In any case, it's been nice chatting, but I have a bad habit of getting myself involved in debates to the point where I don't get other important things done. As such, this is going to be my last response. I hope I haven't been too combative. I wanted to offer one more response before I left. God bless.

I can't blame you for wanting to go to do other things. These internet discussions can eat up time. Given that, though, I hope you don't mind if I won't be responding to your last post.
Take care!

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
@2PhiloVoid and @Halbhh , I think we're getting a bit off topic, and I'd like to refocus things a bit.

I think I can see where the real problem is. Now, everyone has biases, of course, and I freely admit to having plenty myself. But not everyone has biases in everything (alright, nobody has a completely objective view of anything, you might say, but I'm sure we can agree that there are situations where our biases are more apparent, or much less so).

Now, in the case of "Is the Bible pro-slavery, I really can assure you that I am unbiased. And I hope you believe me, because it makes sense for me to be. I don't believe in God. As far as I'm concerned, God is a character in a storybook. Whether the character is good or not, in favour of slavery or not, it affects me no more than the debate over whether Darth Vader is a good person or not. If it were shown that God is actually a morally worthy entity, fine. He's still no realer to me than (to use more Star Wars references) Jedi Master Yoda. If it is shown that God is a vicous, cruel tyrant, then fine; so was Emperor Palpatine. In short: the issue of whether the God of the Bible is pro-slavery is not is of no personal significance to me.

Can you say the same? As Christians, I presume that you admire and love God. Would you really want to find out that it was He who ordered that horrible things should be done? Can you honestly say that you have no bias here? What I think is this: you know that the God of the Bible is a good entity. Therefore, anything that shows him to be immoral must somehow be wrong.

My question is: am I wrong about you having a bias in favour of God? Would it really have no implications for you at all if you discovered that your argument was mistaken?

If I am right - and I'm pretty sure I am by definition; a Christian is a person who loves God, and who would enjoy accusing someone they love of a heinous crime? Indeed, I'm pretty sure that if you were actually to believe that God does approve of slavery, you'd have to stop being a Christian. And of course, you don't want to do that. Which is why you have to look at the verses in which God, Jesus and His chosen prophets all say "Go and take slaves", "punish your slaves" and "slaves, obey your masters" and try to claim that these are not in any way approving of slavery. It's really kind of funny, but I'm sorry for you as well.

The defences we've heard are just what you'd expect: tenuous to the point of ridicule.

God hates slavery, but He gave commandments about how to carry it out? If there's one thing we can see in the Bible, it's that God is not shy about calling things He dislikes wicked. Nor is Jesus. Jesus and his apostles spoke directly about slavery on numerous occasions, and they never took the opportunity to condemn it.

God is playing a "long game", working on Humanity's hearts over a long period? then (a) He would have said that slavery is wrong, clearly showing His opinion, even if the all-powerful Lord of Creation lacked the ability to put an end to it. And (b) He would have discouraged it, rather than setting up rules on how to practice slavery.

Don't project your own morality on to God. You think that slavery is bad, and so you think that God must. But that's the wrong way to approach the question. Don't decide the answer, then look for evidence to support it. Ask the question, then look where the evidence points.

“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be punished; for the slave is his money.”
In other words, beat your slaves as much as you like, just make sure that, at the very worst, they linger for a couple of days before dying. Was the person who wrote this against slavery? If they were, they could never have written it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cvanwey
Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
What do you mean by inspiring the author? He doesn't just plop ideas out of the blue into a person's head and have those ideas written down. Like slavery is wrong and immoral. However He does give them some laws regarding the treatment of slaves.

I mean, God allows slavery, now and always. Do you agree or disagree? If you agree, then it may seem many here, maybe even you, might need to reconcile your own opinions on slavery, including chattle slavery, verses, the fact God appears at least indifferent to undefined slavery, now and forever.

These thing you are eluding to are about what motivated God several thousands of years ago. These ideas enter our time after a historically long chain of events and without understanding their social and natural environment along with their limited technological knowledge. These things being eluded to and imputed to God are being based on us not being there. Basically we have no idea about how much beating took place or whether or not God condoned it or just as likely, He was being merciful to the state of civilization back then. What is clear is we are not mind readers Romans 11:33-34 .

I find your response fascinating...

- God allows for slavery. Jesus never abolishes it later. Remember, if you speak specifically about a topic, while also having the power to order the disallowance of it, and do not abolish it, then you allow it.

- God defines beating, by basically telling that it is allowable, and not a sin, as long as the slave does not die as a direct result. But apparently, if the eye or teeth are removed, they are allowed to go free. Well, problem solved. Most slave owners whipped and beat them with a rod, to the back side.

- Yes, we have no idea how much beating took place. But it really does not matter, because the God of the Bible condones the beating of slaves, just short of death.

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
God didn't intend for slavery to ever exist again.

If this were the case, then God/Jesus would have ordered slavery to be abolished at some point. But He doesn't. You appear to be projecting your own wishful thinking.

Had the ban imposed on them by God been obeyed fully when they made war to take the promised land there would not have been slaves among them.

God does not define what a slave is and is not. All forms of slavery appear acceptable. And again, God never places a ban on slavery, even in the NT.

Had they done that slavery would have been a condition that only they would have experienced among the peoples in the history of salvation. Since the ban was not obeyed faithfully an enemy population within the community had to become part of the economy.

Again, slavery is not defined. According to the Bible, if slavery was again legalized today, according to God, it is not sin. God is okay with slavery, in practically any form.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I mean, God allows slavery, now and always. Do you agree or disagree? If you agree, then it may seem many here, maybe even you, might need to reconcile your own opinions on slavery, including chattle slavery, verses, the fact God appears at least indifferent to undefined slavery, now and forever.

I find your response fascinating...

- God allows for slavery. Jesus never abolishes it later. Remember, if you speak specifically about a topic, while also having the power to order the disallowance of it, and do not abolish it, then you allow it.

- God defines beating, by basically telling that it is allowable, and not a sin, as long as the slave does not die as a direct result. But apparently, if the eye or teeth are removed, they are allowed to go free. Well, problem solved. Most slave owners whipped and beat them with a rod, to the back side.

- Yes, we have no idea how much beating took place. But it really does not matter, because the God of the Bible condones the beating of slaves, just short of death.

Here are a couple of articles that you and @2PhiloVoid , @Halbhh and @Norbert L might find interesting.
Little-Known Bible Verses VI: Slavery
"In the era in which the Bible was written, slavery was a common and natural part of society. But humanity has progressed morally, and we now recognize that slavery is a cruel and inhumane institution that deserves only eradication. If the biblical authors had access to a source of revelation not limited by human ignorance, we might have expected them to see what was truly right and condemn this harsh practice in no uncertain terms. But they do no such thing. Instead, they treat slavery as if it were natural and normal, working it into parables and teachings and even defending it as God’s will. The best explanation for these facts and others like them is that the Bible is simply a human creation, forged in the popular beliefs and prejudices of its time, and not informed by revelation from a being with a higher perspective."

and

Yes, Biblical Slavery Was the Same as American Slavery (2 of 2)
"If God desired the end of slavery, he could just end slavery. Failing that, he could make clear in the Old Testament that he disapproves and that we should stop it. Failing that, his earthly representation as Jesus could make clear that he disapproves. Failing that, one of the epistle writers could make clear that he disapproves so the Bible could say at least something against slavery.

Fail. Don’t say that God doesn’t like slavery when there is no evidence for this. Don’t imagine your own morality coming from God, playing God like a sock puppet.

Wallace anticipates this:

The Roman Empire had 60 million slaves living amongst its citizenry. To call for an end of slavery in this culture and context would have resulted in mass murder and civil war.

God is magic, remember? If God wanted a different world—one with a healthy Roman economy not dependent on slavery, say—he could make it. To imagine God constrained by mankind’s social institutions is to imagine a puny God.

The shackles that hold God back
Wallace also asks us to “remember the cultural context of the ancient world.” But can God be constrained by the social conditions of the moment? God didn’t feel bound by the status quo when he introduced the Ten Commandments, with the death penalty backing most of them. Whether it was convenient or not for stick collection on the Sabbath to suddenly become a capital crime (Numbers 15:32–6) didn’t bother God.

It would be . . . unfair to judge God based on what we think God should do about slavery.

What do we do then? What do we make of this conflict between the obvious wrongness of slavery and the obvious support of slavery in the Bible? Should we just presuppose God and then figure that he has his own good reasons for acting in a way that, in any other situation, you’d call “immoral”? Or should we drop any special pleading and evaluate the Bible as we would any other claimed moral source? I’m certain Wallace wouldn’t take this approach to avoid critique of any other holy book."

• Informative
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...nobody has a completely objective view of anything, you might say, but I'm sure we can agree that there are situations where our biases are more apparent, or much less so).

Now, in the case of "Is the Bible pro-slavery, I really can assure you that I am unbiased. And I hope you believe me, because it makes sense for me to be.

I highlighted this section for you to review. Can you see a problem here? It's not a small thing to think over. There is no such thing as a person's assumptions or worldview not affecting their perceptions and thinking. A person can believe they are somehow immune to normal human brain function attributes, but...well, that would be a belief, not a fact. You don't have to respond to that. It's just something to consider.

the issue of whether the God of the Bible is pro-slavery is not is of no personal significance to me.

Can you say the same?

This was a somewhat interesting question. My answer is that if God had said anywhere that slavery was good, then I'd try to learn more on what was meant, because of experience.

My actual real life experiences -- very often to my surprise for some instances -- is testing of about 100-200 of the instructions/commands/propositions/aphorisms in the Bible, my actual real life experience is that they prove true with unexpected consistency.

When I'm able to have a clear result, the result is that the proposition/instruction/command is superior to alternative ideas.

Often to my surprise. And not all of them obvious at once: I first read the Bible fully through 100% as a youth, about age 12, and I thought some of the proverbs in the Book of Proverbs were true, and some seemed unlikely to be true. Same for Jesus's commands -- I thought some were likely true (as a 12 yr old), and some likely just idealistic, and not really functional or best.

I found out otherwise, often to my surprise.

Because of that 100% success of the things in the Bible I've been able to test I had to reach the obvious likely conclusion -- it was either almost all true ("true" = a superior way to do things that proves better than all alternative competing ways), or all true, one or the other (any other conclusion would have been delusional).

Therefore, if God had ever said "slavery is good" or similar (and none such is in the Bible) then I'd have to consider it very likely truth even though I could not understand it yet.

But the actual text of the Bible says clear indications against slavery's typical practices, so many, such as this one:

9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine.

Interestingly this list of sins have a couple of what are known to be among the most serious sins of all: perjury and murder.

Have a look -- the list of the sins God most hates:

16 There are six things the Lord hates,
seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies
and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.

So, a typical and central and key slavery practice -- a slave trader who acquires and buys and sells slaves -- is listed here together with such as perjury and murder.

It's about like cutting out the living heart of slavery isn't it? (like the Maya or Aztecs cutting out the beating heart of their victims)

Do you remember the rule from over 1,000 years earlier?

15 If a slave has taken refuge with you, do not hand them over to their master. 16 Let them live among you wherever they like and in whatever town they choose. Do not oppress them.

If slavery was a person this is metaphorically akin to chopping off one of its hands.

We have a progression.

First cut off a finger.

Then cut off a hand.

Then cut out the heart. (or is it just both legs?...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
This was a somewhat interesting question. My answer is that if God had said anywhere that slavery was good, then I'd try to learn more on what was meant, because of experience.

This statement is telling... Here's why...

God obviously does not think slavery is 'bad'. Because if He did, He would have abolished it.

Again, God speaks specifically about the topic of slavery. He does not define it very well. He lists provisions into the allowances of it, and presents very few restrictions.

Mind you, had God not mentioned slavery at all, then this entire topic would never have started.

But He did. Hence, we must evaluate what God said about it, in His Word, and what He did not say about it. That's it.

At the end of the day, your response is very telling. Why?

You are attempting to 'rationalize' it, by stating, "well, He did not say it is good..." Again, the fact that He weighs in on the topic, and never abolishes it, as He does with any other topic in which He speaks of, and does not like, should tell you.... God is a-okay with it...

God allows slavery, in many forms. And now, you need to find a way to reconcile that God's morality, does not align with yours...

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This statement is telling... Here's why...

God obviously does not think slavery is 'bad'. Because if He did, He would have abolished it.

Again, God speaks specifically about the topic of slavery. He does not define it very well. He lists provisions into the allowances of it, and presents very few restrictions.

Mind you, had God not mentioned slavery at all, then this entire topic would never have started.

But He did. Hence, we must evaluate what God said about it, in His Word, and what He did not say about it. That's it.

At the end of the day, your response is very telling. Why?

You are attempting to 'rationalize' it, by stating, "well, He did not say it is good..." Again, the fact that He weighs in on the topic, and never abolishes it, as He does with any other topic in which He speaks of, and does not like, should tell you.... God is a-okay with it...

God allows slavery, in many forms. And now, you need to find a way to reconcile that God's morality, does not align with yours...
I'm going to ask you to do something slightly uncomfortable.

Read more in post #472...ok, I'll just paste the section:

... the Bible says clear indications against slavery's typical practices, so many, such as this one:

9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine.

Interestingly this list of sins have a couple of what are known to be among the most serious sins of all: perjury and murder.

17 haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,

So, a central and necessary and key slavery practice -- the slave trader who acquires and buys and sells slaves -- is listed here together with such as perjury and murder.

It's about like cutting out the living heart of slavery isn't it? (like the Maya or Aztecs cutting out the beating heart of their victims)

15 If a slave has taken refuge with you, do not hand them over to their master. 16Let them live among you wherever they like and in whatever town they choose. Do not oppress them.

If slavery was a person this was metaphorically akin to chopping off one of its hands.

We have a clear progression.

First cut off a finger (Exodus chapter 21 -- some beginning restrictions....)

Then later, cut off a hand. (just above)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
I'm going to ask you to do something slightly uncomfortable.

Read more in post #472...ok, I'll just paste the section:

... the Bible says clear indications against slavery's typical practices, so many, such as this one:

17 haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,

So, a central and necessary and key slavery practice -- the slave trader who acquires and buys and sells slaves -- is listed here together with such as perjury and murder.

15 If a slave has taken refuge with you, do not hand them over to their master. 16Let them live among you wherever they like and in whatever town they choose. Do not oppress them.

If slavery was a person this was metaphorically akin to chopping off one of its hands.

We have a clear progression.

First cut off a finger (Exodus chapter 21 -- some beginning restrictions....)

Then later, cut off a hand. (just above)

You might want to try a little harder :)

In the very same book:

'6 Those who are slaves must consider their masters worthy of all respect, so that no one will speak evil of the name of God and of our teaching. 2 Slaves belonging to Christian masters must not despise them, for they are believers too. Instead, they are to serve them even better, because those who benefit from their work are believers whom they love.'

Or how about:

5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.

Or:

47 “The servant who knows what his master wants him to do, but does not get himself ready and do it, will be punished with a heavy whipping. 48 But the servant who does not know what his master wants, and yet does something for which he deserves a whipping, will be punished with a light whipping. Much is required from the person to whom much is given; much more is required from the person to whom much more is given.

Like I stated, anything short of announcing the abolition of slavery, means God appears A-okay. Also, as stated ad nauseum, slavery is not well defined!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You might want to try a little harder :)

In the very same book:

'6 Those who are slaves must consider their masters worthy of all respect, so that no one will speak evil of the name of God and of our teaching. 2 Slaves belonging to Christian masters must not despise them, for they are believers too. Instead, they are to serve them even better, because those who benefit from their work are believers whom they love.'

Or how about:

5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.

Or:

47 “The servant who knows what his master wants him to do, but does not get himself ready and do it, will be punished with a heavy whipping. 48 But the servant who does not know what his master wants, and yet does something for which he deserves a whipping, will be punished with a light whipping. Much is required from the person to whom much is given; much more is required from the person to whom much more is given.

Like I stated, anything short of announcing the abolition of slavery, means God appears A-okay. Also, as stated ad nauseum, slavery is not well defined!

I definitely read fully and carefully all those verses.

And I see that you can see some of the verses on slavery, which you quote over and over, even if at times you may need more context.
Let's look at a bit of context:
In the last quote you just gave the "Master" is Christ Jesus -- the Judge of all people on the Day of Judgment to come after this temporary life.

The passage is about how a Pastor/priest/servant in the church is responsible to treat others well always-- No abuse of any kind/ no 'beating the fellows slaves' (any other person). If a pastor/priest does mistreat ("beat") others, they will be put with the unbelievers on the Day of Judgement, losing salvation and going to the place of "weeping and gnashing of teeth". In the vernacular they would 'go to hell' unless they utterly repent (in real truth) and totally change.

The other 2 quotes you quoted we know very well -- they are the typical instruction from both Paul and Peter that slaves (and women too) should remain in their traditional roles for the moment in order to show Christ to the lost people around them.

They are to remain slaves and show Christ and the gospel message to their slave owners in order that those slave owners (and prejudiced men) could be saved. Converted.

The template for this kind of instruction is the full chapter of 1rst Corinthians chapter 8 -- make any sacrifices necessary today, temporarily, so that weak and wrong people can be saved in spite of their wrong beliefs and practices and ideas.

So: you have shown you can see some verses....
(even if at times like anyone you may need more context)

But what about all the other verses that don't fit your summary statements, such as the verses listed in post #474 you quoted?

I'm seeing all the verses, of every kind.

You could.

But it would mean gaining a much more complex and full picture.

Worse, it would mean having to give up on a simple and easy theory you liked.

That's hard.

Giving up a comfortable theory is hard to do. Don't tell others to see stuff and then refuse to see things yourself. :)

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
I definitely read fully and carefully all those verses.

And I see that you can see some of the verses on slavery, which you quote over and over, even if at times you may need more context.
In the last quote you just gave the "Master" is Christ Jesus -- the Judge of all people on the Day of Judgment to come after this temporary life.

The passage is about how a Pastor/priest/servant in the church is responsible to treat others well always-- No abuse of any kind/ no 'beating the fellows slaves' (any other person). If a pastor/priest does mistreat ("beat") others, they will be put with the unbelievers on the Day of Judgement, losing salvation and going to the place of "weeping and gnashing of teeth". In the vernacular they would 'go to hell' unless they utterly repent (in real truth) and totally change.

The other 2 quotes you quoted we know very well -- they are the typical instruction from both Paul and Peter that slaves (and women too) should remain in their traditional roles for the moment in order to show Christ to the lost people around them.

They are to remain slaves and show Christ and the gospel message to their slave owners in order that those slave owners (and prejudiced men) could be saved. Converted.

The template for this kind of instruction is the full chapter of 1rst Corinthians chapter 8 -- make any sacrifices necessary today, temporarily, so that weak and wrong people can be saved in spite of their wrong beliefs and practices and ideas.

So: you have shown you can see some verses....
(even if at times like anyone you may need more context)

But what about all the other verses that don't fit your summary statements, such as the verses listed in post #474 you quoted?

You could.

But it would mean gaining a much more complex and full picture.

Worse, it would mean having to give up on a simple and easy theory you liked.

That's hard.

Giving up a comfortable theory is hard to do. Don't tell others to see stuff and then refuse to see things yourself. :)

ROFL! You are too funny.

I gotta hand it to you, you sure are creative.

Check it out....

The Bible issues 'thou shall not commandments'. 'Slavery' does not make that list. So let's reference, just in general, to save time, the situation...

In any of these 'thou shall not commandments', does God 'okay' the act of such 'thou shall not commandments', to train other's up in other various 'sinful acts'? Or, does God tell humans not to do it, period?

"Hey Saul, when you lie, do it like this, or that.' 'Hey Moses, when you commit theft, make sure to only do this, or that.' Please....

Bottom line, you must reconcile two certainties, not-with-standing the many other also mentioned earlier, in post #248.....

1. Slavery is not well defined.
2. God makes no command to abolish it, which means He either is impartial to the act of it, allows it, condones it, and/or likes it.

Pay careful attention to my first point, because at every turn, you are attempting to justify 'certain situations of certain types of slavery', when the Bible does not specify.

The fact of the matter is very simple. God tells their slave masters what they can and cannot do. And the list for what they can do, trumps what they can't do, in regards to slavery. Hence, maybe likely the reason they beat their slaves from the back.....

I do rather enjoy watching you trip all over yourself. Keep it coming.... :)

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ROFL! You are too funny.

I gotta hand it to you, you sure are creative.

Check it out....

The Bible issues 'thou shall not commandments'. 'Slavery' does not make that list. So let's reference, just in general, to save time, the situation...

In any of these 'thou shall not commandments', does God 'okay' the act of such 'thou shall not commandments', to train other's up in other various 'sinful acts'? Or, does God tell humans not to do it, period?

"Hey Saul, when you lie, do it like this, or that.' 'Hey Moses, when you commit theft, make sure to only do this, or that.' Please....

Bottom line, you must reconcile two certainties, not-with-standing the many other also mentioned earlier, in post #248.....

1. Slavery is not well defined.
2. God makes no command to abolish it, which means He either is impartial to the act of it, allows it, condones it, and/or likes it.

Pay careful attention to my first point, because at every turn, you are attempting to justify 'certain situations of certain types of slavery', when the Bible does not specify.

The fact of the matter is very simple. God tells their slave masters what they can and cannot do. And the list for what they can do, trumps what they can't do, in regards to slavery. Hence, maybe likely the reason they beat their slaves from the back.....

I do rather enjoy watching you trip all over yourself. Keep it coming.... :)

It's only making me smile you think you could trip me up with a personal insult.

When will you notice that doesn't work? And will you realize why it does not work?

If you some day begin to realize the ordinary everyday wrongs you yourself do to others, you could begin to realize it's not enough to just have some finer and more advanced laws (like the Maryland code I quoted to you in posts #217, #218 -- or even the advanced and more ultimate Matthew 7:12 even!

That's a consciousness thing -- to suddenly realize something.

It could be a learning process for instance -- to learn what you don't know. But instead it could be a moment of new understanding without intellectual thought. Either way. Being open to learn is very good. Being modest or humble is very good for learning. What have you got to lose by learning?

You may begin someday to realize something further is needed than just some detailed laws about finer points of how to treat others you yourself fail to do -- you may wonder why did Maryland over time need more detailed codes of more and more laws. Perhaps you may realize that people do not follow Matthew 7:12 consistently....

You might eventually realize you need a change inside, something more profound, a way to be changed for the better.

That coming to realize your own faults will help. Then you might begin to realize how much more profound and far reaching the things Jesus said are than we do at first, before we begin to really listen.

In other words, your real battle isn't with me, or some random person, but it's inside, and it's about your own being.

And that's why there is a progression of laws in the Bible, and why Christ came to change us on the inside, in our hearts.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes. It's a metaphor for how Christians should remain ready for God's arrival, and how their leaders should not abuse their responsibility, and yes, Jesus wasn't talking about actual slaves in this. But he still chose slaves for his metaphor without a word of judgement.
Think about it - would we do that today? "Remember, junior chefs, make sure you don't underdo the steak - it should be like that time we burned those children, all crispy and full of flavour". Or, "Remember, gardeners-in-training, tend your flowerbeds well - everything should be neatly in order, like rows of skulls in a cannibal's museum."
Just think about it - God Himself came down to Earth, to tell people how to live, and his advice was for Christians to model themselves on the institution of slavery. At what point did Jesus Christ say "slavery is wrong"? Quite simple, he didn't. He certainly said plenty of things about being good to others, but since he - in his other incarnation as God the Father of the Old Testament - had already established slavery as an institution, he obviously didn't mean the Golden Rule to apply to slaves.

Yes. If Christ, Peter or Paul had seen slavery as wrong, they would have had a completely different message. Instead, they acted like the white liberals that Martin Luther King so despaired of, valuing social order above liberty and freedom. For the sake of their religion, they gave up slave's freedom. They sold out the slaves. What an..."un-Christian"...thing to do!

Yes. So are we. And what we're seeing is that you can't whitewash away the clear permissibility and approval of slavery. Vague and general rules about being nice to people are trumped by clear and specific rules about how to take, keep and punish slaves, include specific commands to do so.

Giving up a comfortable theory is hard to do. Don't tell others to see stuff and then refuse to see things yourself.
As I said earlier, I (and I dare say cvanwey too) do not have a bias here. If we had to admit that we were wrong, our reaction would be, "Huh, how about that. Well, good to learn something new".
You, on the other hand, are a Christian. It's unfair, but we're wagering nothing in this fight, and you're wagering the character of God. It's no wonder you can't bring yourself to admit that when God says "Take slaves like this" or "punish slaves like that" or "Go and enslave those people over there" that he was approving of slavery.

I mean, how clear can God be?
He set up slavery as an institution.
He gave commandments about how to deal with slaves.
He gave commandments to take slaves.
He came down to Earth, and refused to condemn slavery. Indeed, He and His supporters told slaves that their position was to honour and obey their masters.

Now, it's possible that this was all part of God's master plan, but if so, it obviously failed very badly. Slavery lingered for centuries, and then came back as a second slave empire, again for centuries. There's nothing to say it couldn't happen again, and again, because any Christian who looks in the Bible can find justification for enslaving others. All of this could have been stopped by God, and would have, if He were actually anti-slavery. But He obviously isn't. I mean, you can refuse to see the truth that's staring you in the face if you wish; but to anyone with an objective point of view, it's obvious. Let the Bible speak for itself, and it will tell you that God is pro-slavery.

The antebellum Christians had it right. They had God on their side. The abolitionists had right on their side, but not the Bible.

Take a look at this. The logic is unanswerable:
Baptists and the American Civil War: January 27, 1861 | Baptists and the American Civil War: In Their Own Words
The blessed Saviour descended from a slave-holder, Abraham. This “father of the faithful,” held as many bondmen, “born in his house and bought with his money,” as perhaps any slaveholder in the South. When he was chosen out, as the one “in whom all the families of the earth should be blessed,” not a word of Divine disapprobation, on account of his being a slave-holder was uttered.

His descendants, the Jews, up to the time of their national dispersion, were as emphatically a slave-holding people as we Georgians are.

The only qualification which is due to this remark, is founded on the captivity and wars which robbed them of much of their property. Such was the case when the Saviour came among them.

He reproved them for their sins. Calling them the works of the flesh and of the devil. He denounced idolatry, covetousness, adultery, fornification, hypocrisy, and many other sins of less moral turpitude, but never once reproved them for holding slaves; though He alluded to it frequently, yet never with an expression of the slightest disapprobation.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I said earlier, I (and I dare say cvanwey too) do not have a bias here
Ok...you see yourself as immune to normal human thinking processes that because we have viewpoints we have biases, but you see the 2 of you as not having that? Or having an fantastic objectivity that is just above others? Ok.... That's just where you are at, in your self view. I remember thinking like that once.

if Christ, Peter or Paul had seen slavery as wrong, they would have had a completely different message.

Agree. --> Philemon. It's a surprising letter really. But it's also inevitable in the end, because of Matthew 7:12.

And also we hear Christ Himself using the mistreatment of slaves -- to "beat slaves" -- as the epitome for all abuse, as the metaphor for all wrongdoing against other people.

If we had to admit that we were wrong, our reaction would be, "Huh, how about that. Well, good to learn something new".

Ah. Did you anywhere about anything? If so, that's great.

If not, why not? (and in that case, is it that you have nothing you can learn from us?...that'd be sorta sad I think)

Yet another recounting of how whatever preacher had justified some wrongdoing by a very prejudiced and filtering use of scripture?....

Hmmmm....seems a common thing, to take some scriptures and ignore other passages which contradict it, to reach a preferred viewpoint of scripture, and then preach that.

We see that constantly.

I doubt there was ever any time it has not happened.

I don't even blame atheists for when they do the same thing. I see them as stuck in an idea, an ideology, which can be a powerful block to learning.

Now, it's possible that this was all part of God's master plan, but if so, it obviously failed very badly. Slavery lingered for centuries, and then came back as a second slave empire, again for centuries. There's nothing to say it couldn't happen again, and again,

Like murder?

Like slanders/false witnesses against other people (say, like we get today often by tweets?).....?

Actually, this is the most interesting and encouraging thing you've said in a way.

You are asking in effect: Why didn't Evil end?

See, human evil continues unabated generally in the world.

Why didn't it end?

It's individual. Conscience and choices are individual.

Some will follow Christ, and many will not, He told us:

It's surprisingly direct, as He said it:

Luke 18:19 "Why do you call Me good?" Jesus replied. "No one is good except God alone.
and
11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. 13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
Matthew 7 NIV

See, what Christ actually said is very radical, and it's still radical, today.

Can you imagine if you were a religious leader, and this guy came saying you were evil....?

He knew perfectly well they would hate him vastly for his words, and seek his death.

Like Martin Luther King, Jr., who foresaw his own likely death but continued, knowing the value of the ultimate goal -- but moreso, Christ knew for a certainty, and had an even more ultimate goal.

To save us from ourselves, one person at a time, here and there, who would actually follow him and actually change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.