• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Slavery in the bible.

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by Par5, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Everybodyknows

Everybodyknows The good guys lost

+761
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    I don't think you are really following the discussion. No one on either side is making a pro-slavery argument. The point is that we all universally accept that slavery is immoral. The question is why is it considered immoral in our times when it wasn't considered immoral in Bible times? What changed? How did we determine that slavery is immoral?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Everybodyknows

+761
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    This is a prohibition against kidnapping. There are other ways to enslave people against their will, eg war captives. Are you saying that all slaves in Israel are willing slaves?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Par5

Par5 Well-Known Member

+425
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Married
    Non-Hebrews could be forced into slavery and made slaves for life. Leviticus 25:44-46
    44 “ ‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.
    45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.
    46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Hebrew slaves could be freed in the seventh year, but if his master had given the slave a wife then the wife and any children became the property of the slave owner. The only way the slave could stay with his family was to become his master's slave for life. If he did so his ear was tagged like a sheep to denote his slave status.

4. Par5

Par5 Well-Known Member

+425
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Married
    The bible states that slaves could be taken from non-Hebrew nations and that the men and their families would become slaves for life. Leviticus 25:24-26

5. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+2,990
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Well, when civilian space travel becomes common and affordable it might help with that.

6. Soyeong

Soyeong Well-Known Member

+3,019
    Messianic
    Single
    The problem with war is that when an army is defeated, it leaves behind the women, children, and elderly, who are the least capable of surviving on their own. If left to themselves, they would die of starvation and exposure, so it was to their advantage to be taken as slaves by Israel. For instance, the Law gives guidelines where a captive could gain the full status of becoming someone's wife, which was much more than they could hope for if taken as a slave by other nations.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. Par5

Par5 Well-Known Member

+425
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Married
    It never ceases to amaze me how Christian apologists call biblical slavery everything except slavery. You would think you were discussing some kind of aid program for the homeless.
    A system where a person is beaten for not pleasing his master. A system where a persons wife and children can be taken from him and passed on as an inheritance. A system where a person can only save losing his wife and children by having his ear tagged and become a slave for life. That my friend is someone who is a slave, not someone who is receiving an act of charity.
    Saying someone is their money is nothing more than a euphemism for being their property.

8. Everybodyknows

+761
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    Was it in the Israelites advantage to be taken into slavery when they were the ones defeated? Would they cry out for God to rescue them?

This doesn't really make things any better for the rest.

9. Par5

Par5 Well-Known Member

+425
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Married
    You compare your life to that of a slave? Really? My goodness, it must be terrible for you. Imagine having to go to work to earn your pay. I just hope you have managed to avoid being beaten by your employer and that he hasn't claimed ownership of your children or placed a tag on your ear. Poor you, it can't be easy being a slave!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Par5

Par5 Well-Known Member

+425
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Married
    In an ideal world that would be great, but our children don't take long to learn there is such a thing as the Bank of Mum and Dad. And yes, they should be treated humanely.:)

11. Soyeong

Soyeong Well-Known Member

+3,019
    Messianic
    Single
    In Exodus 21:1-6, it gives guidelines where a slave could choose to become a permanent slave instead of going free, so you should be considering scenarios where people thought that they were better off as a slave than as someone who was free. In Israel, slaves could go free is they were mistreated, but there was nothing to prevent their mistreatment in other nations, so it would most likely not be to their advantage to be taken into slavery by them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk Fading curmudgeon

+15,057
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Philemon is a short book of the Bible which gives the example of a slave being given freedom as a picture of the liberty in Christ from sin and unbelief.

But of course if the Word of God is read in unbelief, with a view to diminishing its faith related content, then such writings will not be appreciated. Neither is there any profit in continuing the discussion where there is little or no desire actually to learn what God's Word means.

13. Another Lazarus

Another Lazarus Old Newbie

+1,027
    Christian
    Married
    same cause different conditions.

14. Everybodyknows

+761
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    The key verse in that passage is Exodus 21:2

If thou buy a Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing.​

This passage is only applicable to Hebrew servants, not all slaves.

For foreigners this applies:

• List
  15. Everybodyknows

+761
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    Is paid labour immoral?

16. Everybodyknows

+761
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    God only seems concerned with his own people being enslaved and rather tolerant of his people enslaving others.

• List
  17. Everybodyknows

+761
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    Do you think there is a change in attitude towards slavery between the old and new testaments?

18. JoeP222w

JoeP222w Well-Known Member

+1,705
    Christian
    Married
    Not at all. God's word is the sole infallible rule of morality and faith. I don't know where you get this question from my previous comment.

19. Everybodyknows

+761
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    You said
    I took that comment as though you were implying that God reduced his standards in accordance with the human culture of the time. And that the covenant of law alone is somehow incomplete.

20. JoeP222w

JoeP222w Well-Known Member

+1,705
    Christian
    Married
    That is not what I meant. I apologize if I was not clear. God does not lower His standard. But God does use means to glorify Himself. God uses evil by His sovereign decree, but that does not make Him less than perfect or the author of evil. God allowed Pharoah to enslave Israel for a time, so that God could set the Israelites free to show His mercy and grace on the people of Israel, and to show His judgment on the false gods of Egypt and the Egyptians for following after false gods. God decree that Joseph was to be sold into slavery so that God would later use Joseph to preserve His people, even though Joseph's brothers intended it for evil.

So what if God was using the general practice of slavery in some manner to demonstrate His glory? Apart from the grace of God, we are all enslaved. We are slaves to sin. But by the work of grace by God, we become slaves to righteousness.

My primary point I was attempting to make, although I know I was not completely clear, is that when we look at the practice of slavery and the laws that God gave to the ancient Israelites concerning slavery, we far too often look at it from the modern lens and completely ignore what is going on at that time, in that place, with those particular people. We think we have the right to judge God's actions and laws, when we don't have that right at all.

I seek to defend the truth of God, although God does not need me to do this, I believe as a Christian, we have a responsibility to stand up when someone takes scripture completely out of context, has no concept of what was happening in history, has no love of truth or God, and attempts to call God evil, when they themselves are the evil ones, because of their hatred of God and attempting to make themselves God.