✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
‘They kept us as slaves’: AP reveals claims against church

SPINDALE, N.C. (AP) — When Andre Oliveira answered the call to leave his Word of Faith Fellowship congregation in Brazil to move to the mother church in North Carolina at the age of 18, his passport and money were confiscated by church leaders — for safekeeping, he said he was told.

Trapped in a foreign land, he said he was forced to work 15 hours a day, usually for no pay, first cleaning warehouses for the secretive evangelical church and later toiling at businesses owned by senior ministers. Any deviation from the rules risked the wrath of church leaders, he said, ranging from beatings to shaming from the pulpit.

“They trafficked us up here. They knew what they were doing. They needed labor and we were cheap labor — hell, free labor,” Oliveira said.

http://religionnews.com/2017/07/28/they-kept-us-as-slaves-ap-reveals-claims-against-church/

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Another article says they are being investigated by the feds. I hope that is true. If what these people say is true some people need to go to jail.
I hope so.

This is the problem with authoritarian fundamentalist churches -- sometimes the power gets abused. My guess is that in their own rationalizing minds, they simply didn't label it as slavery, but as "serving the church."

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hope so.

This is the problem with authoritarian fundamentalist churches -- sometimes the power gets abused. My guess is that in their own rationalizing minds, they simply didn't label it as slavery, but as "serving the church."
Considering the thing about demons and the name of the church, I don't think they are fundamentalists. They would be closer to evangelical, some corrupted type of Pentecostal.
But as far as imo, they are not a church of God at all. They are just people who are using a church as a front to make money.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Another article says they are being investigated by the feds. I hope that is true. If what these people say is true some people need to go to jail.

Where is all of the sanctimonious howling that would happen if this was a Catholic Church?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where is all of the sanctimonious howling that would happen if this was a Catholic Church?
Well there should be howling. But I would say that this is one rather small church, nothing like the Catholic church in size or trusted by so many, therefore, it is not getting the same publicity. Neither is it the same magnitude of trust breaking.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0