Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Absolutely ridiculous. Their no better than the Government, they don't own the internet and the sites going black are acting like they do.

facepalm7.jpg

I guess you'd have a point if they were launching a coordinated DoS attack on the DNS root servers, but they aren't. They're blacking out the websites that they own in private protest. So... are you sure you have any idea what is going on here?

Upvote 0

whitetiger1

Sep 3, 2011
in front of my computer
✟1,946.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You can view wikipedia fine with mobile and if you wish to use your browser simply disable javascript. If this protest upsets you, image if it were permanent? Don't blame these companies for taking a stand these are extremely serious bills that could change the internet as we know, and in a HORRIBLE way, so many wouldn't be fighting it if it weren't true. Call your congressman and let them know you don't want them making this a reality. It's the only way we as people can take a stand against this. Otherwise the US will end up like China, with their horrible speeds and horrible firewall filtering non-sense. This is what firefox default page gonna look like at 8am today http://blog.mozilla.com/files/2012/01/mozilla-strike-sopa-fx-default-start-page.png
I know what it was like without the internet and computers and many times I wish all this tech didn't exist. They are not just doing a stunt to the Government but punishing us too

Upvote 0

whitetiger1

Sep 3, 2011
in front of my computer
✟1,946.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
facepalm7.jpg

I guess you'd have a point if they were launching a coordinated DoS attack on the DNS root servers, but they aren't. They're blacking out the websites that they own in private protest. So... are you sure you have any idea what is going on here?
I am not stupid you know

Upvote 0

FriendlyJosh

Jan 12, 2011
✟11,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know what it was like without the internet and computers and many times I wish all this tech didn't exist. They are not just doing a stunt to the Government but punishing us too

Well many are grateful for the free and open internet we have. It provides many jobs and allows exchange of ideas, communication and information like never before. If you're fine with the government taking all that away to please big media then i'm sorry but not everyone agrees with you. If you want to blame anyone, blame congress for making such horrible bills and completely ignoring the constitution, and even *attempting to ruin the internet, and quite possibly as a result, damage our country in a way it can't be fixed. US's forefathers fought and died so people could be free, and now a bunch of overpaid individuals who don't care, are willing to sit in their comfty chairs that the people put them in and paid for to ruin it all? what sense does that make to you? are you mad at Wikipedia for being down? be mad at congress, understand that these mere 24 hours are nothing compared to Wikipedia not existing period. Or it not existing anywhere near to the level it currently does. If you don't stand for something, you stand for nothing.

Upvote 0

whitetiger1

Sep 3, 2011
in front of my computer
✟1,946.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
*raises eyebrow*

So why did you claim that blanking out a website is acting like one owns the internet?
Because I can, last time I checked it is a free country where I can voice my opinion.

Upvote 0

whitetiger1

Sep 3, 2011
in front of my computer
✟1,946.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well many are grateful for the free and open internet we have. It provides many jobs and allows exchange of ideas, communication and information like never before. If you're fine with the government taking all that away to please big media then i'm sorry but not everyone agrees with you. If you want to blame anyone, blame congress for making such horrible bills and completely ignoring the constitution, and even *attempting to ruin the internet, and quite possibly as a result, damage our country in a way it can't be fixed. US's forefathers fought and died so people could be free, and now a bunch of overpaid individuals who don't care, are willing to sit in their comfty chairs that the people put them in and paid for to ruin it all? what sense does that make to you? are you mad at Wikipedia for being down? be mad at congress, understand that these mere 24 hours are nothing compared to Wikipedia not existing period. Or it not existing anywhere near to the level it currently does. If you don't stand for something, you stand for nothing.
Listen I started working against SOPA before you had any concern. I wrote congress and helped with petition so save you lectures!

Upvote 0

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

:sigh:

This entire exercise is directed at the public, not the government. The idea is that everyone is irritated by seeing what SOPA will do and scream at their Senators and Representatives to kill the bill or lose all hope of reelection.

Upvote 0

FriendlyJosh

Jan 12, 2011
✟11,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Because I can, last time I checked it is a free country where I can voice my opinion.

Not if SOPA/PIPA gets passed, everything will most likely have to go through a approval process, sites like this even. Because even 1 comment that someone claims violates whatever copyright could have the owners of the site liable for criminal charges and the entire site taken down. Keep in mind, no due process, no chance to fight in court before it happens.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

whitetiger1

Sep 3, 2011
in front of my computer
✟1,946.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:sigh:

This entire exercise is directed at the public, not the government. The idea is that everyone is irritated by seeing what SOPA will do and scream at their Senators and Representatives to kill the bill or lose all hope of reelection.
It won't work Washington is to dumb to get the message, I know from all the work many of us put into before everyone acted so concerned they just parrot it's good.

Upvote 0

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It won't work Washington is to dumb to get the message
Are you suggesting that people in Washington D.C. are illiterate? :scratch:

I know from all the work many of us put into before everyone acted so concerned they just parrot it's good.

I don't know what you are trying to say, it seems to be a claim to hipster cred. "they just parrot it's good"?

Upvote 0

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
no they are dumb, they can read well if they bother to

Ok, I'm glad we've established that they actually can get the message then. Especially seeing as literacy and communication is essential to running a government, your claim really makes no sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You really think politicians take the time to actually read and scrutinize each bill that comes along? The Patriot Act comes to mind.

Whitetiger was claiming that politicians don't bother to read email or pay attention to their constituents opinions back at home, which isn't exactly the same thing as what you ask. I'm sure there are a ton of bills that don't get read at all.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Whitetiger was claiming that politicians don't bother to read email or pay attention to their constituents opinions back at home, which isn't exactly the same thing as what you ask. I'm sure there are a ton of bills that don't get read at all.

If by constituents you mean those who are lining some of these politicians' pockets, then no, politicians do care what they have to say.

Upvote 0

whitetiger1

Sep 3, 2011
in front of my computer
✟1,946.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, I'm glad we've established that they actually can get the message then. Especially seeing as literacy and communication is essential to running a government, your claim really makes no sense.
I'm saying they can't get the message. Unless one lines their pockets as BK said in his post. Money is king in DC those who have the most win

Upvote 0

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm saying they can't get the message. Unless one lines their pockets as BK said in his post. Money is king in DC those who have the most win

Yes, they CAN get the message. Whether or not they IGNORE IT is an entirely separate issue. You aren't making much sense.

Upvote 0