...sins now repurposed and put on display in the Church, like fine furniture...

Ohorseman

Take up your cross and follow Me
Oct 15, 2007
USA
✟33,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems that some Christian leaders are basically telling us to NOT die to our sins. Consider Cardinal Reinhard Marx out of Germany. If you do a news search using that name, you will see him in his priestly collar standing at the podium with a bright rainbow flag before his feet (I would share the photo here but I'm sure if the forum allows that). He is certainly not the only one. Indeed, it is another Gospel that is being preached.

Why are formerly “keep it in the closet” sins now repurposed and put on display in the Church, like fine furniture, or something? I am referring to gay pride.

Also, we have women preachers. Is this a sin? No, not if it stays within certain scriptural boundaries. But if it does not stay in line with the scriptures then it would be disordered, and maybe even another expression of pride. If it reaches that level, then it does become a sin. Maybe you could call it feminist pride.

I can think of a few more examples where the church actually promotes sin. But, really, what seems to be more common is that many preachers are effeminate and remain silent in the face of sin. They avoid certain parts of the Bible, or water it down. It's easier that way.

Yeshua upon the Tree - B&W.jpg

This is art that I made in honor of Christ and shared during the Easter season… more the Good Friday part. I call it: Yeshua Upon the Tree. Let it be a reminder. Our Christian Faith is about accepting Christ as our Savior and King. We take up our cross and follow Him. That is to say that we die to our sins of the flesh and are resurrected to new life through the power of the Holy Spirit. We do this daily, rather than be ruled and defined by our sins.

Christ died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

+++

Last edited:

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems that some Christian leaders are basically telling us to NOT die to our sins. Consider Cardinal Reinhard Marx out of Germany. If you do a news search using that name, you will see him in his priestly collar standing at the podium with a bright rainbow flag before his feet (I would share the photo here but I'm sure if the forum allows that). He is certainly not the only one. Indeed, it is another Gospel that is being preached.

I don't know what he is teaching exactly - but saying that the church accepts everyone/Christ died for all is not at all the same as saying, "we condone, and celebrate, homosexuality; it's fine, go ahead."

I know what Scripture says about it - I also know what Scripture says about those who are greedy, proud, quarrelsome, judgemental etc etc. I don't see any Christians up in arms about these things; only about a person's sexuality.

Also, we have women preachers. Is this a sin?

No.
It's only a sin if a woman is NOT called by God to be ordained, yet she goes ahead and does it anyway, to try to prove a point, or because she really wants that calling.
But men are equally capable of doing that.
Years ago, if someone was a second son, they became ordained - the eldest son took on the father's estate, the second went into the church. There seemed to be little discussion about calling, faith etc; it was almost mapped out for them.

Maybe you could call it feminist pride.

Maybe you could call a refusal to consider that God can call women to this ministry, male blinkeredness.

I can think of a few more examples where the church actually promotes sin.

I can't think of any Christian who says, "lust/greed/pride/jealousy/argumentativeness/anger etc" is good and to be sought after and practiced daily.
Nearly every church service I have been to includes a time of confession of sin and teaching that we should not continue to practice sin.

Our Christian Faith is about accepting Christ as our Savior and King. We take up our cross and follow Him. That is to say that we die to our sins of the flesh and are resurrected to new life through the power of the Holy Spirit. We do this daily, rather than be ruled and defined by our sins.

Yes - and that is what the church teaches.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Why are formerly “keep it in the closet” sins now repurposed and put on display in the Church, like fine furniture, or something? I am referring to gay pride.

Also, we have women preachers. Is this a sin? No, not if it stays within certain scriptural boundaries. But if it does not stay in line with the scriptures then it would be disordered, and maybe even another expression of pride. If it reaches that level, then it does become a sin. Maybe you could call it feminist pride.

I can think of a few more examples where the church actually promotes sin. But, really, what seems to be more common is that many preachers are effeminate and remain silent in the face of sin. They avoid certain parts of the Bible, or water it down. It's easier that way.

View attachment 315685

This is art that I made in honor of Christ and shared during the Easter season… more the Good Friday part. I call it: Yeshua Upon the Tree. Let it be a reminder. Our Christian Faith is about accepting Christ as our Savior and King. We take up our cross and follow Him. That is to say that we die to our sins of the flesh and are resurrected to new life through the power of the Holy Spirit. We do this daily, rather than be ruled and defined by our sins.

+++
There is a big difference between LGBTQ clergy and women Pastors. There is also a big difference between a person who walks with His Holy Spirit and one who does not. God is not the author of confusion. Deception has found it's way into the fold and one day the wheat and tares will be separated . But for now God still seeks us to love one another. Love does conquer all and with this armour we can help those still in darkness see His light.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Ohorseman

Oct 15, 2007
USA
✟33,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you sister for your meaningful and edifying responses.

Maybe you could call a refusal to consider that God can call women to this ministry, male blinkeredness.

Sometimes that. And sometimes it's just that some, male and female, wrestle with how to have a woman, even one that is anointed and Godly , in a position of teaching and authority over a man, considering what Paul said in 1 Timothy 2:11–14. I don't like it. It's offensive to me. But it's there. Also, in the hearts of some, it seems to go against all the teachings of Paul and Peter on headship, and related teachings. This, along with veiling, has been set aside in these modern times.

This about veils is interesting:
Christian head covering - Wikipedia

At one of the churches I go to the pastor's wife will sometimes preach. But she does not wear a veil.

Upvote 0

Ohorseman

Oct 15, 2007
USA
✟33,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a big difference between LGBTQ clergy and women Pastors.
Yes , sister, they are very different . They are only the same in that both involve setting aside certain scriptures that were long understood according to the original teachings , until these times of sexuality and gender confusion.

There is also a big difference between a person who walks with His Holy Spirit and one who does not. God is not the author of confusion. Deception has found it's way into the fold and one day the wheat and tares will be separated . But for now God still seeks us to love one another. Love does conquer all and with this armour we can help those still in darkness see His light.
Blessings
Amen.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems that some Christian leaders are basically telling us to NOT die to our sins.
And others are calling a lot of attention only or mainly to certain sins which could have resulted from how Christian parents have been bad examples so their children did not grow up knowing how to love. Parents can be doing various wrong things so their children get a bad example and then become able to be gay. So, attacking what is the end product is not what works the best, in any case: we need to deal with our own ways which have helped to feed people bad example so they don't know how to relate in an intimate love relationship. And instead they get intimate with the feelings of pleasure which they treasure.

Maybe attacking the gay stuff can be like people clamoring against professional football. They can make such a big stink about the pros, but at the same time be teaching their kids the ingredients of becoming a pro football player. I mean if I bring up a child to be type-A, an arguer and pusher for what he or she wants, one who uses others but can leave them behind. I'm not saying pros really do this, but it could work like this. The ones who hate the pro stuff could be doing the most to bring his or her own child into things that could help to turn the child into a pro player.

So - - have you checked out Romans 1:18-32? To me, this means, among other things, that homosexuality can be a consequence of sinning, even a form of punishment. But in this scripture I see a few sorts of sin things which helped to degrade the person to become able to be homosexual. The gay stuff mentioned here is an end-product of sins which helped to prepare the person to become homosexual.

And these contributory sins can bring others to other sorts of sin. And the Bible tells us about emotional and mental sins which we need to avoid. These can degrade us to do worse and worse stuff. So we need, then, how our Father corrects each of us in our character, so we are not available to anti-love emotional and mental things and preferences.

Upvote 0

Ohorseman

Oct 15, 2007
USA
✟33,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And others are calling a lot of attention only or mainly to certain sins which could have resulted from how Christian parents have been bad examples so their children did not grow up knowing how to love. Parents can be doing various wrong things so their children get a bad example and then become able to be gay. So, attacking what is the end product is not what works the best, in any case: we need to deal with our own ways which have helped to feed people bad example so they don't know how to relate in an intimate love relationship. And instead they get intimate with the feelings of pleasure which they treasure.

Maybe attacking the gay stuff can be like people clamoring against professional football. They can make such a big stink about the pros, but at the same time be teaching their kids the ingredients of becoming a pro football player. I mean if I bring up a child to be type-A, an arguer and pusher for what he or she wants, one who uses others but can leave them behind. I'm not saying pros really do this, but it could work like this. The ones who hate the pro stuff could be doing the most to bring his or her own child into things that could help to turn the child into a pro player.

So - - have you checked out Romans 1:18-32? To me, this means, among other things, that homosexuality can be a consequence of sinning, even a form of punishment. But in this scripture I see a few sorts of sin things which helped to degrade the person to become able to be homosexual. The gay stuff mentioned here is an end-product of sins which helped to prepare the person to become homosexual.

And these contributory sins can bring others to other sorts of sin. And the Bible tells us about emotional and mental sins which we need to avoid. These can degrade us to do worse and worse stuff. So we need, then, how our Father corrects each of us in our character, so we are not available to anti-love emotional and mental things and preferences.
Thank you for that, brother. Those are some good observations and I see what you are saying.

It seems to me that the gender lines started blurring a while ago. Remember Boy George. The Eurythmics. That was the 80's, when I grew up. I think they actually started blurring before then. Now, we have gender spectrum, ladyboys, things like that. Sunday our Pastor mentioned that some parents had their 5 year old "transitioned". Lord have mercy on us.

Along the way, the dress of the genders started to become less distinct. The Bible tells us to avoid that. Gender roles started to become less distinct as well. Some say these things do not matter. It's progress. Today, if I call a guy, "man", that is okay. If I call a lady "woman", it's offensive. God named her Woman before the Fall. It was an honorable name. Jesus Christ used the name "woman" often. It seems that the world hates the name "woman", and we buy in & sometimes mirror that. Maybe we are mirroring Satan. Certainly, he hates woman. My point is we should love, honor, cherish a woman for being a woman. Maybe that is a good place to start.

Yes, we are dealing with consequences of sin over decades, or much longer actually. And the scripture you point to says it all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And sometimes it's just that some, male and female, wrestle with how to have a woman, even one that is anointed and Godly , in a position of teaching and authority over a man, considering what Paul said in 1 Timothy 2:11–14. I don't like it. It's offensive to me.

Yes, it's there.
But so are Paul's words about not giving financial help of any widows under the age of 60.
Or his wish that those who teach circumcision should go and castrate themselves.
Or his preference that people shouldn't marry.
The whole of the Jewish law is there, in Scripture.
The question is, what do these things mean? Just because they are there, does this mean they were written to us, for us and are to be applied by us today?

If God didn't want women to be in positions of teaching and authority, why did he appoint Deborah as judge over all Israel, and allow prophetesses?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Along the way, the dress of the genders started to become less distinct. The Bible tells us to avoid that. Gender roles started to become less distinct as well.
But these things could have started from what was not God's will, anyway. It could all have been in the dark . . . not in light so there could be "blurring". Bear with me, here; I intend to be more clear about what I mean :) >
Sometimes that. And sometimes it's just that some, male and female, wrestle with how to have a woman, even one that is anointed and Godly , in a position of teaching and authority over a man, considering what Paul said in 1 Timothy 2:11–14. I don't like it. It's offensive to me. But it's there.
Yes, it's there.
Ones might be disagreeing with what Paul does not mean! And in trying to get away from what Paul does not mean, they get more away from what God does mean.

I see how God can mean He does not want a women controlling a man, and teaching him in a hen-pecking way "over" him. It does not mean for her to never help him to know something. Certainly, God wants her to help him to learn how to love > this is our perhaps most important part of being taught. And we all teach one another how to love, by our example. And a lady's example certainly will teach a Christian man and can even help a guy not into Jesus > as 1 Peter 3:1-4 says God is able to use her example . . . "without a word".

And if her example is helping him, then she is having power and authority to effect him. So, there is a good way for a woman to have authority, power, over a man.

And our Apostle Paul and Timothy and Silvanus say >

"But we were gentle among you, just as a nursing mother cherishes her own children." (1 Thessalonians 2:7)

So, these great men are honoring and acknowledging how a woman can be their example teaching them how to relate with God's children, I see from this.

They clearly are not worried about "blurring", here! They are not trying to distance themselves from what is "female". I can see how God used nursing mothers to help correct and teach these men how to love and care for God's children. And they are acknowledging this, here.

So, they learned from women. But ones are trying to turn Paul into an anti-woman guy. They are calling attention to outward differences between men and women, instead of giving attention to how we can help one another to find out how to love.

1 Samuel 25 > we have how Abigail so helped David to know how to be as a king. She stood up to him and how he was wrong, and she advised him of how he should want to rule as a king, with love and not with bloodshed.

So, women have indeed helped God's real leaders to find out how to be leaders. And these men are very grateful for how these women have taught them and been their example.

They taught their heart.

But there are egotistical people who are worried about who should be teaching doctrine and other more outward sorts of information. And they can leave out teaching by example how to love.

And so ones on both sides of an issue can be wrong, neither side dealing with what authority and teaching in Jesus is really about.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ones might be disagreeing with what Paul does not mean! And in trying to get away from what Paul does not mean, they get more away from what God does mean.

Agreed.

1 Samuel 25 > we have how Abigail so helped David to know how to be as a king. She stood up to him and how he was wrong, and she advised him of how he should want to rule as a king, with love and not with bloodshed.

So, women have indeed helped God's real leaders to find out how to be leaders. And these men are very grateful for how these women have taught them and been their example.

Yes.
Catherine of Siena was once asked by the Pope to teach Cardinals. Hilda of Whitby, Julian of Norwich etc etc have no doubt taught, and helped, many men. Elizabeth Fry was apparently the first woman to address an all-male parliament; she spoke to them on prison reform.
Women teach men all the time - though some men don't appear to want to acknowledge it.

"But we were gentle among you, just as a nursing mother cherishes her own children." (1 Thessalonians 2:7)

So, these great men are honoring and acknowledging how a woman can be their example teaching them how to relate with God's children, I see from this.

They clearly are not worried about "blurring", here! They are not trying to distance themselves from what is "female". I can see how God used nursing mothers to help correct and teach these men how to love and care for God's children. And they are acknowledging this, here.

So, they learned from women.

God, himself, chose to give us birth, James 1:18. Jesus told us we needed to be born again, John 3:3 and spoke of certain signs as being birth pains, Mark 13:8. The whole process of forgiveness and a new start is that of new life; new beginnings, being made new creatures. And the church is the bride of Christ.

There were also prophetesses in the Bible who gave God's word to men - and a female witness to the resurrection.

Upvote 0

Ohorseman

Oct 15, 2007
USA
✟33,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it's there.
Sister in Christ, thank you. Indeed. And so this is how we should conduct our lives, our service, our order of things. And thank you for your fine questions that follow.

But so are Paul's words about not giving financial help of any widows under the age of 60.
60 sounds right to me.

Or his wish that those who teach circumcision should go and castrate themselves.
St. Paul's writing is powerful and spirit-filled. If a man castrates himself then he can no longer be a father. A spiritual father. This has a spiritual application. St. Paul's words are right and true.

Or his preference that people shouldn't marry.
That people who serve the church do not marry, it is true that their service would be better without a spouse, in a certain manner. But he says if someone burns to marry. St. Paul's words ring true.

The whole of the Jewish law is there, in Scripture.
And the Law is not done away with, but for the things mentioned. The scriptures tell us some things. Circumcision is no longer needed. Certain food restrictions are not needed. Remember Peter's dream, twice I think. There is more, but you see my point.

The question is, what do these things mean? Just because they are there, does this mean they were written to us, for us and are to be applied by us today?

eye - color.jpg

Now. There. It's the stumbling block, right in front of you. Don't trip over it, my sister, LOL. You could say 1 Timothy 2:11–15 is only for the church in Ephesus (some say that), and that 1 Corinthians 14 is only for the church in Corinthians (some say that), and that 1 Peter 3: 1-6 is only for churches in those five regions of Asia Minor (some say that). And on and on. Accepting that, it may be easy to say that when Jesus defines marriage as being between a man and a woman in Matthew 19:4-6, it was only for the Jews, and not Gentiles (some say that).

It is true that Jesus was talking to Jews. But, no. Do not see it that way. The words of Christ apply to us all, then and now. So do the words of St. Paul and St. Peter. We should not compartmentalize the scripture and then dismiss it in that way. To speak about it that way is to lie, to speak against the Holy Spirit, and even Christ.

If God didn't want women to be in positions of teaching and authority, why did he appoint Deborah as judge over all Israel, and allow prophetesses?
Because there was no man, specifically, a man with two testicles. Sorry. Sounds like a joke. But that about the testicles is there in the Bible. Israel was in a state of disorder and decay. Brave and anointed Deborah steps forward in the gap. I love that. What a fine example for us all. It may happen again in this way, at least on local levels. If so, it is a shame to men, or should be, if they have eyes to see it and understand. Where are the men today? Looking at inappropriate content, maybe? Maybe even gay inappropriate content. Lord have mercy on us.

Some see the Bible as more historical. Just stories. Rather, we should see the Bible as what defines reality, the shape of the universe from the spiritual view. It is something more cosmic, eternal, and written by those filled with the spirit of the LORD. The instruction stretches across cultures and time. I have come to see that this is the great divide. Frankly, some people, even priests and preachers, just do not believe the Bible. For them it is a convenient reference point, a field for cherry picking.

So, you see, Gay Pride and Feminist Pride are the same in that specific way. Both set aside and/or break down the original and longstanding meaning of scripture. Listen. Both are echoes of that ancient and vile voice of the serpent to Woman in Eden.

"Did God really say?", asked the serpent.

+++

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ohorseman

Oct 15, 2007
USA
✟33,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But these things could have started from what was not God's will, anyway. It could all have been in the dark . . . not in light so there could be "blurring". Bear with me, here; I intend to be more clear about what I mean :) >

I see how God can mean He does not want a women controlling a man, and teaching him in a hen-pecking way "over" him. It does not mean for her to never help him to know something. Certainly, God wants her to help him to learn how to love > this is our perhaps most important part of being taught. And we all teach one another how to love, by our example. And a lady's example certainly will teach a Christian man and can even help a guy not into Jesus > as 1 Peter 3:1-4 says God is able to use her example . . . "without a word".

And if her example is helping him, then she is having power and authority to effect him. So, there is a good way for a woman to have authority, power, over a man.

So, they learned from women. But ones are trying to turn Paul into an anti-woman guy. They are calling attention to outward differences between men and women, instead of giving attention to how we can help one another to find out how to love.

They taught their heart.

But there are egotistical people who are worried about who should be teaching doctrine and other more outward sorts of information. And they can leave out teaching by example how to love.

And so ones on both sides of an issue can be wrong, neither side dealing with what authority and teaching in Jesus is really about.

Amen. That is good, brother. Thank you for your kind and helpful input.

But this part, this needs some adjusting. For a woman to have power and authority over man goes against what God has said in the beginning and throughout the scriptures, both Testaments. And it is not reality. Now, bear with me.

A woman mothers. She nurtures. This does involve teaching. A boy learns so much from his mom. The value of a good mother is almost beyond comprehension . It is vital. If a mother does not fulfill her call, the boy will be ruined, and ruined even as a man, unless there is a miracle.

When he becomes a man, she stands down. The last thing she might have to do is push him out of the nest, LOL. As a boy, she has power and authority over him. But, as a man. No. She has influence, yes. But not control. It is his choice to decide if he is going to follow the commandment or not - honor thy father and mother. Woe to him if he does not follow the commandment. If he does follow the commandments, he gives control to God. He allows the Godhead (through Christ) to be his head.

A woman is mother, and wife. And yes, Abigail indeed helped the king. Woman is also helper. It is a holy call. I say this too is vital. Without my wife, I would be... I don't even want to think about it.

The world would have woman act like man. You see it in our entertainment. It is a shame. It is a deformation of, in my opinion, God's best and most beautiful creation. Maybe it is not opinion. Afterall, Woman birthed my Savior. I cannot bring forth life. Only father it.

But I see. By the grace of God, it is not blurry to me. And, I do not think this has much to do with equality of women in the workplace.

Thessalonians 2:7 is good word and it lines up nicely.

Last edited:
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sister in Christ, thank you. Indeed. And so this is how we should conduct our lives, our service, our order of things. And thank you for your fine questions that follow.

Thank you for your gracious words.

60 sounds right to me.

The advice is that widows under the age of 60 should not get financial support from the church.
So a 35 year old woman with 4 children whose husband is killed in war should not get any support from the church because, according to Paul, she is an idle busybody, 1 Timothy 5:13. That's if you apply his words to us today.

St. Paul's writing is powerful and spirit-filled. If a man castrates himself then he can no longer be a father. A spiritual father. This has a spiritual application.

Paul wasn't talking about a spiritual application.
He was condemning people who taught that circumcision was needed for salvation. He had already said that anyone who preached a Gospel other than the cross should be under God's curse. Then he said that he wished such teachers should go the whole way and emasculate themselves.
Again, do we apply these words to us today?

That people who serve the church do not marry,

Plenty of people serve the church - and do get married.

it is true that their service would be better without a spouse, in a certain manner.

Is it?
Is it not also true that they may be able to get more work done, serve effectively and be good role models and parents to younger people.

But he says if someone burns to marry.

I think if a couple went for marriage preparation, the vicar/minister asked why they wanted to get married and the reply was "because we're burning with lust and can't wait to get into bed", he/she might refuse to perform such a solemn ceremony in the house of God.

And the Law is not done away with, but for the things mentioned. The scriptures tell us some things. Circumcision is no longer needed. Certain food restrictions are not needed. Remember Peter's dream, twice I think. There is more, but you see my point.

I agree with you.
But my point is that the teachings are still there, in Scripture; they were not removed by the church who said "we no longer need these things".
The words ARE there in Scripture, so the question is, what do we do about them? How do we apply them?
The answer is, nothing; we don't apply them. They are there, but they are not for us because Christ has fulfilled them and we are in Christ.

It is true that Jesus was talking to Jews. But, no. Do not see it that way. The words of Christ apply to us all, then and now.

The verses in 1 Tim 2 and 1 Cor 14 are the words of Paul, not the commands of Christ.

So do the words of St. Paul and St. Peter. We should not compartmentalize the scripture and then dismiss it in that way. To speak about it that way is to lie, to speak against the Holy Spirit, and even Christ.
Reading Scripture in context, considering the circumstances in which it was written and the people it was written to is not "compartmentalising Scripture. It's exegesis, a well known, and used, Bible tool.
If we don't approach Scripture in this way - considering the people to whom it was written but assuming that all the words apply literally to us - we may make it say something that the authors never intended.

We study to find out what the words meant to people then, and then ask the Holy Spirit to show us how they apply to us.
For example, Paul taught that people should treat their slaves well. But we don't have slaves today. What are we going to do; campaign to bring back slavery so that we can obey the words of Scripture?
No. I imagine most people today would read those verses as meaning "if you have employees, treat them kindly and fairly." A very valid interpretation. But paid employees are not the same as the slaves they had in Bible times - men who were sold into slavery, sometimes to pay a debt, and whose wife and children became slaves also and were owned by their masters.

Because there was no man, specifically, a man with two testicles. Sorry. Sounds like a joke. But that about the testicles is there in the Bible. Israel was in a state of disorder and decay. Brave and anointed Deborah steps forward in the gap.

That's not what the Bible says. God appointed judges, and he appointed Deborah.
Or are you saying that God was unable to raise up a man to do his will and had to make do with second best?
If God can raise up children for Abraham from stones, Luke 3:8, why couldn't he have raised a male judge for Israel, either from stones or from among male Israelites?

Some see the Bible as more historical. Just stories. Rather, we should see the Bible as what defines reality, the shape of the universe from the spiritual view. It is something more cosmic, eternal, and written by those filled with the spirit of the LORD. The instruction stretches across cultures and time.

Truth does; doctrine does.
God is love, always was love and always will be love. Love is, and always will be, patient, kind and so on.
The wages of sin always were, and always will be death. Christ died for sinners. Those two truths will never change. Neither will the fact that Christ is our Saviour and the only way to the Father.
But personal instruction/advice like "drink wine, not water, because of your frequent illnesses", is not the same.
If God did not want women to teach, proclaim his word or have authority over men, whatever that means, it would have been written as a clear command in ALL of Paul's letters, and taught by Jesus who came to do his Father's will. But how did Jesus treat women? He let them follow him, learn from him (society did not allow that), proclaim his word and chose a woman to be the firt witness to the resurrection.

Frankly, some people, even priests and preachers, just do not believe the Bible. For them it is a convenient reference point, a field for cherry picking.

What do you mean by "believe the Bible"?
Believe that every word is literally true and literally applies to us today? We are not meant to read it like that. If we were, we would obey the Jewish law - because those laws are still written in the Bible. We would also adopt the culture that they had in NT times - robes, sandals, employing slaves, travel on foot or by donkey etc - no internet, computers, PowerPoint, watches, phones etc etc.

So, you see, Gay Pride and Feminist Pride are the same in that specific way.

If you are saying that a Christian woman who testifies that God has called her to serve him as a minister/priest is just a feminist, you are wrong.

God, who creates and saves all people and gives gifts to his children, may call his children to serve him in whatever way he pleases. It is his work, his Kingdom, his church, his Gospel, his glory.
If someone - woman or man - was publicly saying "God called me to do this" and he hadn't, God would be very capable of correcting them, removing them from that position or maybe punishing them for lying. Yet that is not what happens. Female Ministers preach the same Gospel as male Ministers do, and people are brought to faith, challenged, comforted, helped and so on - because it is GOD who who is blessing and drawing people to himself.

Both set aside and/or break down the original and longstanding meaning of scripture.

And does God go against Scripture when he calls women to become preachers, or to be ordained as Ministers/vicars?

Both are echoes of that ancient and vile voice of the serpent to Woman in Eden.

"Did God really say?", asked the serpent.

Did GOD say that women are commanded not to preach/teach, or did PAUL, who allowed Priscilla to teach, say that he did not allow it?
If it was Paul who didn't allow it, why did he allow Priscilla to do so? Why did he have female co-workers? And how do women, who cannot today ask St Paul's permission or advice, interpret those verses, when they know that it is God who is calling them?

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Ohorseman

Oct 15, 2007
USA
✟33,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for your gracious words.

The advice is that widows under the age of 60 should not get financial support from the church.
So a 35 year old woman with 4 children whose husband is killed in war should not get any support from the church because, according to Paul, she is an idle busybody, 1 Timothy 5:13. That's if you apply his words to us today.

Paul wasn't talking about a spiritual application.
He was condemning people who taught that circumcision was needed for salvation. He had already said that anyone who preached a Gospel other than the cross should be under God's curse. Then he said that he wished such teachers should go the whole way and emasculate themselves.
Again, do we apply these words to us today?

Plenty of people serve the church - and do get married.

Is it?
Is it not also true that they may be able to get more work done, serve effectively and be good role models and parents to younger people.

I think if a couple went for marriage preparation, the vicar/minister asked why they wanted to get married and the reply was "because we're burning with lust and can't wait to get into bed", he/she might refuse to perform such a solemn ceremony in the house of God.

I agree with you.
But my point is that the teachings are still there, in Scripture; they were not removed by the church who said "we no longer need these things".
The words ARE there in Scripture, so the question is, what do we do about them? How do we apply them?
The answer is, nothing; we don't apply them. They are there, but they are not for us because Christ has fulfilled them and we are in Christ.

The verses in 1 Tim 2 and 1 Cor 14 are the words of Paul, not the commands of Christ.

Reading Scripture in context, considering the circumstances in which it was written and the people it was written to is not "compartmentalising Scripture. It's exegesis, a well known, and used, Bible tool.
If we don't approach Scripture in this way - considering the people to whom it was written but assuming that all the words apply literally to us - we may make it say something that the authors never intended.

We study to find out what the words meant to people then, and then ask the Holy Spirit to show us how they apply to us.
For example, Paul taught that people should treat their slaves well. But we don't have slaves today. What are we going to do; campaign to bring back slavery so that we can obey the words of Scripture?
No. I imagine most people today would read those verses as meaning "if you have employees, treat them kindly and fairly." A very valid interpretation. But paid employees are not the same as the slaves they had in Bible times - men who were sold into slavery, sometimes to pay a debt, and whose wife and children became slaves also and were owned by their masters.

That's not what the Bible says. God appointed judges, and he appointed Deborah.
Or are you saying that God was unable to raise up a man to do his will and had to make do with second best?
If God can raise up children for Abraham from stones, Luke 3:8, why couldn't he have raised a male judge for Israel, either from stones or from among male Israelites?

Truth does; doctrine does.
God is love, always was love and always will be love. Love is, and always will be, patient, kind and so on.
The wages of sin always were, and always will be death. Christ died for sinners. Those two truths will never change. Neither will the fact that Christ is our Saviour and the only way to the Father.
But personal instruction/advice like "drink wine, not water, because of your frequent illnesses", is not the same.
If God did not want women to teach, proclaim his word or have authority over men, whatever that means, it would have been written as a clear command in ALL of Paul's letters, and taught by Jesus who came to do his Father's will. But how did Jesus treat women? He let them follow him, learn from him (society did not allow that), proclaim his word and chose a woman to be the firt witness to the resurrection.

What do you mean by "believe the Bible"?
Believe that every word is literally true and literally applies to us today? We are not meant to read it like that. If we were, we would obey the Jewish law - because those laws are still written in the Bible. We would also adopt the culture that they had in NT times - robes, sandals, employing slaves, travel on foot or by donkey etc - no internet, computers, PowerPoint, watches, phones etc etc.

If you are saying that a Christian woman who testifies that God has called her to serve him as a minister/priest is just a feminist, you are wrong.

God, who creates and saves all people and gives gifts to his children, may call his children to serve him in whatever way he pleases. It is his work, his Kingdom, his church, his Gospel, his glory.
If someone - woman or man - was publicly saying "God called me to do this" and he hadn't, God would be very capable of correcting them, removing them from that position or maybe punishing them for lying. Yet that is not what happens. Female Ministers preach the same Gospel as male Ministers do, and people are brought to faith, challenged, comforted, helped and so on - because it is GOD who who is blessing and drawing people to himself.

And does God go against Scripture when he calls women to become preachers, or to be ordained as Ministers/vicars?

Did GOD say that women are commanded not to preach/teach, or did PAUL, who allowed Priscilla to teach, say that he did not allow it?
If it was Paul who didn't allow it, why did he allow Priscilla to do so? Why did he have female co-workers? And how do women, who cannot today ask St Paul's permission or advice, interpret those verses, when they know that it is God who is calling them?

Oh my. I see that you have been busy with the topic. Thank you, sister. And I pray that your day goes well. Yes, the words apply today.

Do not let Biblical exegesis go a muck. Read the early Church Fathers. Their understanding of ancient Greek is better than ours, as well as cultural context, and their writings do not agree with these variant interpretations that have come up in these times of gender confusion and gay pride.

Do you think that we should NOT apply all these scriptures for the church ?

1 Corinthians 11
1 Corinthians 14:31-38
1 Timothy 2:11–15
1 Timothy 3:1-5
Titus 1:5-9
Titus 2:2-5
Ephesians 5:22-24
Colossians 3:18-20
1 Peter 3: 1-6

And to respond to some of your points, everyone knows that women can be in ministry. Men and women can do the same thing, with only a few limitations .

When a woman prophecies or prays in the church, she should cover her head. Also, she should not teach or be in authority over a man. A woman teaching other women and children is in good order. Also, a married couple can teach together, like Priscilla and Aquila better instructed Apollos.

If someone throws out these related Bible verses, they might throw out the list of verses above as well.

And the next thing you know, they are going to a gay wedding.

This happens because of this pattern of throwing out scriptures. The pattern does not stop. And even if they are able to restrain the deterioration and hold to the truth that gay pride is sin, they have established a clear path for gay pride to follow. Proud trail blazers. And feminist pride can not much criticize gay pride... because they are playing the same game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think that we should NOT apply all these scriptures for the church ?

1 Corinthians 11
1 Corinthians 14:31-38
1 Timothy 2:11–15
1 Timothy 3:1-5
Titus 1:5-9
Titus 2:2-5
Ephesians 5:22-24
Colossians 3:18-20
1 Peter 3: 1-6

I think we should read them in context, find out what the authors are saying, discover the truth for today and then ask the Holy Spirit how, and whether, the words apply to us. Rather than taking isolated verses out of context and using them to try to prove a point.

For example, 1 Corinthians 14:31-38.
Why start at verse 31, in the middle of the passage?
Paul is talking about order in worship in this chapter. In fact, he has been talking about order and equality for much of his letter, which would have been sent to the Corinthians without chapter and verse divisions.
Back in chapter 3, Paul says that there were factions and arguments among them; one group claiming to follow Paul, another following Apollos. Paul says that they should not be divided like this. In chapter 8 he talks about the different opinions about eating meat offered to idols - those who know that it can do no harm because an idol is nothing, should not flaunt that if they are with people who are less secure about it. In fact, if they are with people whose faith is weaker, they should be gracious and not do anything that would cause offence - in other words, forget your own "rights"; think of others. In chapter 11 Paul says that their inequalities are spilling over into the way they celebrate the Lord's Supper - some are eating lots, and getting drunk, others are going without. He does not commend them for that and says they need to wait for, and respect, one another. This is carried into chapter 12 where Paul gives the illustration of a human body. Not all parts of the body are the same - there are large, visible parts, and small unseen parts. But that doesn't mean that some are more important than others; all parts work together to enable the body to function. The same applies to them, for they are the body of Christ. They all have gifts and a part to play, and it is the same Spirit who gives those gifts to whomever he will. Paul does not say that any of the gifts are better than the others, and he certainly doesn't say they are gender specific. It would seem that some of the Corinthians were claiming that some of the more outward gifts, like tongues, were better than the others and/or meant that they were more spiritual. Paul returns to this matter in chapter 14, having first said that the quality they should be seeking most of all is love, which is not boastful, proud, rude and so on.
In the first part of chapter 14 Paul says that the gift of tongues has its place; it edifies believers. But that the gift or prophecy should be sought after more because it is for non believers.
Whichever gift they have, however, there should be order in worship - which is the subject from verse 26. Prophets, and those speaking in tongues, should not do so randomly, speaking over, and interrupting, each other. They should speak one at a time, with no more than 2 or 3 people speaking/prophesying at all. In fact, if someone is standing and prophesying and someone who is seated receives a word from God, the one who is speaking should sit down and let the other speak - order and respect.
In none of this does Paul say "women will never have, or be given, the gift of prophesy, or teaching, or evangelism". Certain gifts being given to certain genders is not even mentioned, never mind an issue.

In the middle of this teaching about good order in worship, are verses 34-35;
Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

When Paul says "silent", does he mean that women can't worship God? Clearly not because he has been teaching that they may pray and prophesy.
When he says the must be in submission "as the law says"; what law is he talking about? Paul has not been talking about the Jewish law, and in any case, he writes in other letters about how the law does not save and how Christ has set us free from the law.
When he says, "if they want to inquire about something they should ask their own husbands at home", what does he mean? Doesn't that suggest that some women were asking questions during the service, and to any man who would answer them, instead of waiting til they got home and then asking their own husbands? Why else would Paul tell them that if it were not happening? Such interruptions would have interrupted the service and flow of worship, and undermined the authority of the speaker. Order in worship is important, as Paul had just been saying. Honouring and respecting one another and treating everyone equally is important too.
This certainly applies to us today; order in worship, respect, letting others speak/testify/pray/praise God and not hogging the limelight are important. If Paul were writing today he would probably say something like "turn your phones off; don't let them ring in the middle of a sermon and interrupt the preacher". Not chatting to your neighbour because you don't understand the preacher, is important too If you don't have a husband you can ask at home, wait until after the service and ask the preacher themselves what they meant.

And yet, these two verses are taken out of that context and randomly thrown around to try to prove that God says that no woman can talk in church.

Do you see what I mean?
Read in context, they make sense, and the truth behind them - treat people with respect and have order in worship - certainly applies today.
Read out of context, they contradict other words of Scripture. Paul taught that everyone has gifts - women included. He told people to speak using "Psalms, hymns and spiritual songs" - women included. He said that people were given the gifts of prophesy and tongues - women included.
Why would he have suddenly said "women may not speak in church"?

And to respond to some of your points, everyone knows that women can be in ministry. Men and women can do the same thing, with only a few limitations .

God is not limited and doesn't put limits on anybody else.
Prophetesses in the OT gave the word of the Lord to men.
Deborah was a judge over the whole nation, kept them turned towards God and at peace for 40 years.
Esther saved the nation from being destroyed by a foreign king.
The woman at the well went to tell the men of her town that she had found the Messiah.
Mary Magdalene went to tell the male disciples that Jesus had risen.
Mary of Bethany anointed Jesus, and had previously sat at his feet and learned from him.

Also, she should not teach or be in authority over a man.

The word "usurp" is used - which can mean to grab violently by force.
A woman who is called to preach and/or be ordained does not do that - the church tests her call and, if they agree after prayer and discussion, that she has one they give her the authority to lead worship and do the other things that her God-given role involves.
Preaching God's word is not "having authority over a man". If it was, and if that was not allowed, Jesus wouldn't have told/allowed Mary Magdalene to do it.

Also, a married couple can teach together, like Priscilla and Aquila better instructed Apollos.

So a woman CAN speak, teach and lead the church if she is with her husband?

And the next thing you know, they are going to a gay wedding.
What's wrong with going to a gay wedding?

I don't know why those who oppose female clergy also seem to equate this with gay rights. They are completely different.
Women who go forward for ordination, or to train as preachers, do so because they believe God is calling them to that role. That call is tested by other, often male, clergy and the church, and if recognised, they are trained for it and ordained by the church who has recognised God's call upon their life. A woman may later resign, retire, or may be sacked from that role.

If someone is gay, that is who they are. They did not choose their sexuality, any more than any of us did. They are gay whether or not anybody else recognises it, and cannot resign from that.
We can have academic discussions about whether homosexuality is a deliberate choice, or whether sexuality and gender were messed up and affected by the fall just like everything else. But if you told a gay person they "shouldn't" be gay, tried to change them, discriminate against them and so on, you'd be, at best, accused of intolerance and/or hatred.
And I can tell you that there are people who have become very depressed and may have taken their own lives because they were made to feel ashamed of being gay; of being who they are.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By the way, you ask if we should apply Scriptures such as Ephesians 5:22-24 to the church.
The verses are about the relationship between husbands and wives - marriage. Why would anyone assume that they also applied to the church and, in particular, the role of women leading worship in that church?

Upvote 0

Ohorseman

Oct 15, 2007
USA
✟33,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think we should read them in context, find out what the authors are saying, discover the truth for today and then ask the Holy Spirit how, and whether, the words apply to us. Rather than taking isolated verses out of context and using them to try to prove a point.

For example, 1 Corinthians 14:31-38.
Why start at verse 31, in the middle of the passage?
Paul is talking about order in worship in this chapter. In fact, he has been talking about order and equality for much of his letter, which would have been sent to the Corinthians without chapter and verse divisions.
Back in chapter 3, Paul says that there were factions and arguments among them; one group claiming to follow Paul, another following Apollos. Paul says that they should not be divided like this. In chapter 8 he talks about the different opinions about eating meat offered to idols - those who know that it can do no harm because an idol is nothing, should not flaunt that if they are with people who are less secure about it. In fact, if they are with people whose faith is weaker, they should be gracious and not do anything that would cause offence - in other words, forget your own "rights"; think of others. In chapter 11 Paul says that their inequalities are spilling over into the way they celebrate the Lord's Supper - some are eating lots, and getting drunk, others are going without. He does not commend them for that and says they need to wait for, and respect, one another. This is carried into chapter 12 where Paul gives the illustration of a human body. Not all parts of the body are the same - there are large, visible parts, and small unseen parts. But that doesn't mean that some are more important than others; all parts work together to enable the body to function. The same applies to them, for they are the body of Christ. They all have gifts and a part to play, and it is the same Spirit who gives those gifts to whomever he will. Paul does not say that any of the gifts are better than the others, and he certainly doesn't say they are gender specific. It would seem that some of the Corinthians were claiming that some of the more outward gifts, like tongues, were better than the others and/or meant that they were more spiritual. Paul returns to this matter in chapter 14, having first said that the quality they should be seeking most of all is love, which is not boastful, proud, rude and so on.
In the first part of chapter 14 Paul says that the gift of tongues has its place; it edifies believers. But that the gift or prophecy should be sought after more because it is for non believers.
Whichever gift they have, however, there should be order in worship - which is the subject from verse 26. Prophets, and those speaking in tongues, should not do so randomly, speaking over, and interrupting, each other. They should speak one at a time, with no more than 2 or 3 people speaking/prophesying at all. In fact, if someone is standing and prophesying and someone who is seated receives a word from God, the one who is speaking should sit down and let the other speak - order and respect.
In none of this does Paul say "women will never have, or be given, the gift of prophesy, or teaching, or evangelism". Certain gifts being given to certain genders is not even mentioned, never mind an issue.

In the middle of this teaching about good order in worship, are verses 34-35;

When Paul says "silent", does he mean that women can't worship God? Clearly not because he has been teaching that they may pray and prophesy.
When he says the must be in submission "as the law says"; what law is he talking about? Paul has not been talking about the Jewish law, and in any case, he writes in other letters about how the law does not save and how Christ has set us free from the law.
When he says, "if they want to inquire about something they should ask their own husbands at home", what does he mean? Doesn't that suggest that some women were asking questions during the service, and to any man who would answer them, instead of waiting til they got home and then asking their own husbands? Why else would Paul tell them that if it were not happening? Such interruptions would have interrupted the service and flow of worship, and undermined the authority of the speaker. Order in worship is important, as Paul had just been saying. Honouring and respecting one another and treating everyone equally is important too.
This certainly applies to us today; order in worship, respect, letting others speak/testify/pray/praise God and not hogging the limelight are important. If Paul were writing today he would probably say something like "turn your phones off; don't let them ring in the middle of a sermon and interrupt the preacher". Not chatting to your neighbour because you don't understand the preacher, is important too If you don't have a husband you can ask at home, wait until after the service and ask the preacher themselves what they meant.

And yet, these two verses are taken out of that context and randomly thrown around to try to prove that God says that no woman can talk in church.

Do you see what I mean?
Read in context, they make sense, and the truth behind them - treat people with respect and have order in worship - certainly applies today.
Read out of context, they contradict other words of Scripture. Paul taught that everyone has gifts - women included. He told people to speak using "Psalms, hymns and spiritual songs" - women included. He said that people were given the gifts of prophesy and tongues - women included.
Why would he have suddenly said "women may not speak in church"?

God is not limited and doesn't put limits on anybody else.
Prophetesses in the OT gave the word of the Lord to men.
Deborah was a judge over the whole nation, kept them turned towards God and at peace for 40 years.
Esther saved the nation from being destroyed by a foreign king.
The woman at the well went to tell the men of her town that she had found the Messiah.
Mary Magdalene went to tell the male disciples that Jesus had risen.
Mary of Bethany anointed Jesus, and had previously sat at his feet and learned from him.

The word "usurp" is used - which can mean to grab violently by force.
A woman who is called to preach and/or be ordained does not do that - the church tests her call and, if they agree after prayer and discussion, that she has one they give her the authority to lead worship and do the other things that her God-given role involves.
Preaching God's word is not "having authority over a man". If it was, and if that was not allowed, Jesus wouldn't have told/allowed Mary Magdalene to do it.

So a woman CAN speak, teach and lead the church if she is with her husband?

This was confusing and loaded with erroneous and opinionated commentary. Three times Paul wrote "brothers", before writing about the women in verse 34. Think about it. It changes some of the context that you put forward. But, considering the big picture here, it may not matter.

What's wrong with going to a gay wedding?

Well, Jesus Christ said something about it.

Matthew 19:4-6:

4 And He answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”

So, you would separate man and wife? You do so, institutionally even, with same sex "weddings". That's why you do not go. And if you think this passage is merely talking about a man and a woman not getting a divorce... read all of it, again, and again.

The order of humanity itself, established by the living God, is of much greater importance than the order, or disorder in this case, of a tiny church service set up to worship that God.

If people do not listen to Christ, certainly they will not listen to Paul, Peter, or the rest of them.
Cross pose BW.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0