United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is making a common mistake a sin?
Can you provide an example of what you're referring to? Cause mistake is a broad term, stealing from someone is considered a mistake for example but so is not studying for a test.

Upvote 0

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Can you provide an example of what you're referring to? Cause mistake is a broad term, stealing from someone is considered a mistake for example but so is not studying for a test.
Maybe putting money in a bad investment that ends up hurting a lot of people.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, give an example. If I mistakingly take something from a store, like it was put in my bag without me paying for it without my knowledge- that would not be a sin. But once I became aware of the situation, if I didn't go back and pay for it, I'd be sinning.

• Agree
Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

surrender1

Jun 1, 2011
✟20,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is making a common mistake a sin?
Some say sin is "missing the mark" so in that sense, then yes, it's making any kind of mistake. But the NT says that sin is "transgression of the law" (1 John 3:4). But the only law we are bound to this side of the covenant (NT and no longer OT) is the law of love. In Romans 13:8-10 Paul says that
*whatever commandment there may be* can be summed up in the rule to love your neighbor. In other words, Paul is saying that if we lived our lives with a truly loving spirit, acting in truly loving ways, we would automatically fulfill *every one* of God's laws. We wouldn't have any need for specific rules. We could literally go through every single one of God's commandments and show that each one of them is simply an extension of this basic principle to live a life of servant love. “For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself'" (Gal. 5:13).

So, then, sin is when we transgress the principle of love or "love they neighbor."

Upvote 0

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Some say sin is "missing the mark" so in that sense, then yes, it's making any kind of mistake. But the NT says that sin is "transgression of the law" (1 John 3:4). But the only law we are bound to this side of the covenant (NT and no longer OT) is the law of love. In Romans 13:8-10 Paul says that
*whatever commandment there may be* can be summed up in the rule to love your neighbor. In other words, Paul is saying that if we lived our lives with a truly loving spirit, acting in truly loving ways, we would automatically fulfill *every one* of God's laws. We wouldn't have any need for specific rules. We could literally go through every single one of God's commandments and show that each one of them is simply an extension of this basic principle to live a life of servant love. “For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself'" (Gal. 5:13).

So, then, sin is when we transgress the principle of love or "love they neighbor."
Is loving your neighbour really that hard?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In a sense even our best efforts at righteousness is peppered or tainted with sin. Only that the Christians shortcomings are continually covered by the perfect righteousness of Christ. Without that 'covering' our good deeds are seen by man but they appear exceedingly sinful to God.
But I suppose this discussion is how man sees us.

• Agree
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0