✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What is stopping you from starting one?
Hello TJ, welcome to CF and welcome to TAW. :)

The structure of the Orthodox Church began with the Apostles establishing Churches in communion with one another and under oversight by those ordained and taught by the Apostles ... and it has continued to this day. One can't just start a Church on their own.

It would be possible to invite interested persons for a Bible study and fellowship, and even reader's services and prayers. There are service books, prayer books, and teaching resources online. And Churches have begun in this way in places where there wasn't one. :)

But I just wanted to welcome you, and provide a little info before the thread gets sidetracked, since our brother David is still seeking help for his problem.

God be with you. :)

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I agree, best to be in SOME contact. There are also streaming services, teaching podcasts, music on Ancient Faith Radio.

Is there an Orthodox Church you could get to at least some times in order to receive Communion?

Prayers.
I'm still a catechumen.

There is one that's kind of far and I heard they had some problems. The only good thing is that is canonical.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello TJ, welcome to CF and welcome to TAW. :)

The structure of the Orthodox Church began with the Apostles establishing Churches in communion with one another and under oversight by those ordained and taught by the Apostles ... and it has continued to this day. One can't just start a Church on their own.

It would be possible to invite interested persons for a Bible study and fellowship, and even reader's services and prayers. There are service books, prayer books, and teaching resources online. And Churches have begun in this way in places where there wasn't one. :)

But I just wanted to welcome you, and provide a little info before the thread gets sidetracked, since our brother David is still seeking help for his problem.

God be with you. :)
Yes, I don't want to be anathemized as the founder of the Davidian Ecuadorian Orthodox Church. :p

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm still a catechumen.

There is one that's kind of far and I heard they had some problems. The only good thing is that is canonical.
Ah, Doh! Sorry I just read that you are a catechumen and I had it in mind when I said you could still host a meeting with a Bible Study (though I think it would be good to listen to a recorded one on AFR, for example).

As to problems - depends on the kind. Some problems aren't good to involve yourself in, maybe, but few parishes are free of some kind of problem. Human beings tend to do that. ;) And I'm not asking what kind though you're free to discuss it if you need to.

Any idea how long you may need to be out of the country?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ah, Doh! Sorry I just read that you are a catechumen and I had it in mind when I said you could still host a meeting with a Bible Study (though I think it would be good to listen to a recorded one on AFR, for example).

As to problems - depends on the kind. Some problems aren't good to involve yourself in, maybe, but few parishes are free of some kind of problem. Human beings tend to do that. ;) And I'm not asking what kind though you're free to discuss it if you need to.

I heard they organized cliqs between some of their friends, and when their new priest tried to promote union, they accused him of abuses. The priest left (or was removed) and they helped in appointing a new priest that they knew.
I know it might be donatism but I might feel weird with what is supposedly going on there

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

If everything goes well, by the end of July.

• Prayers
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Join the club, brother. There SHOULD be a massive difference between Orthodox sinners and non-Christians and atheists. But in reality, most of us have a LONG way to go!

The Evil One wants you to dwell on your failings and see little hope. Christ’s love for you is a million times as powerful as the silly doubts and sins you carry. Go pray in front of your icons, smile, pray the Lord to have mercy, ask the intercession of the Theotokos, invoke your patron saint, go to Confession when you can, and see your sins and failings as opportunity for our Loving Lord to show His healing glory!

We love ya, man. Our Lord loves you a trillion times more!

Howdy! In the last days I have been feeling sad because I realize I'm a sinful man who is a bad representative of Christianity and the Orthodox faith, even if I am not Orthodox yet.

What should I do?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Join the club, brother. There SHOULD be a massive difference between Orthodox sinners and non-Christians and atheists. But in reality, most of us have a LONG way to go!

The Evil One wants you to dwell on your failings and see little hope. Christ’s love for you is a million times as powerful as the silly doubts and sins you carry. Go pray in front of your icons, smile, pray the Lord to have mercy, ask the intercession of the Theotokos, invoke your patron saint, go to Confession when you can, and see your sins and failings as opportunity for our Loving Lord to show His healing glory!

We love ya, man. Our Lord loves you a trillion times more!
Thanks for reminding me that my hope is in the Lord!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If everything goes well, by the end of July.
Prayers!

I hope then that you are back soon. And that you find ways of connecting with your faith and find comfort in the meantime, whatever that looks like for you.

I heard they organized cliqs between some of their friends, and when their new priest tried to promote union, they accused him of abuses. The priest left (or was removed) and they helped in appointing a new priest that they knew.
I know it might be donatism but I might feel weird with what is supposedly going on there

I can't easily comment on that. Issues of being human, and I suppose it could be worse or else not as bad as the impression you're getting. But for someone new to Orthodoxy, it is probably wise to be aware of protecting yourself from being scandalized. If something is going on, maybe it's better to avoid. That said, I've heard a little on the challenges priests can face coming into a community, and I do know it can take time for them to address parish issues. And sometimes what the new priest puts in motion has to be carried through by a new replacement. Anyway. My hope is that the parish is moving toward health. I can't know of course. And I'm not telling you what to do one way or the other. But I understand caution and the wisdom of protecting catechumens.

Prayers for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I realize I'm a sinful man who is a bad representative of Christianity and the Orthodox faith, even if I am not Orthodox yet.

The publican who beat his chest and asked for forgiveness was not the bad representative of God, the Pharisee was. Stumbling with penitence does not make you a bad representative of Christianity; wilfully sinning without contrition does. As does something else that has grown to be a major problem in our day - arguing with God and attempting to redefine sin as something acceptable to God.

If you're in Ecuador, perhaps you can reach out to the OCMC to see if they know of a parish or mission near you.

Upvote 0

Andrei D

Feb 13, 2018
Charlotte, NC
✟76,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The publican who beat his chest and asked for forgiveness

Indeed. The difference is that we are supposed to know more that the publican knew at that time, and because of that we are supposed to never despair. It is one thing to be aware and remorseful, and a different thing to be consumed by sadness about your sins. The latter puts you at risk of sinning against the Holy Spirit Who is the Comforter after all, and being inconsolable is refusing His gift. That is how I see it, when it comes to despair and despondency for ANY reason whatsoever.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I had some immigration issues so I came back to Ecuador for the summer and there is barely an Orthodox Church close to me, meanwhile there are like 3 Mormon churches by my neighborhood. :sigh:

Where are you in Ecuador?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums