• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Sinner's sadness

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by David Cabrera, Jun 19, 2019.

1. David Cabrera

David Cabrera Well-Known Member

+2,503
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Howdy! In the last days I have been feeling sad because I realize I'm a sinful man who is a bad representative of Christianity and the Orthodox faith, even if I am not Orthodox yet.

What should I do?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+10,973
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Talk to your priest and start again.

We are all sinners and fail but we can start again when necessary [ and it often is ]

3. BigRed009

BigRed009 New Member

+43
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    David,

All of us are sinners.

Romans 3:23 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Only God is truely good. Be joyful for what Jesus did on the cross. He loved you so much that he died for you, even before you were born or first sinned.

Romans 5:8 8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

What we can all do is be grateful for Jesus; and in that gratefulness, leave our sins (repent) and live for God.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. David Cabrera

+2,503
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    That's another problem, I haven't been able to meet any priest at the city I am staying.

5. Robin Mauro

Robin Mauro Active Member

+136
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God."
    "...none may boast..."
    Our hope is in Christ alone.

6. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hide The Pain Supporter

+5,451
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    If Eastern Orthodoxy doesn't work out you can always try the Reformed tradition. We only have sinners over here so you'd fit right in!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. Robin Mauro

+136
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    P.S. I think it was Mother Theresa who said no one scared her as much as those who thought they were without sin.
    So, repent, humbly ask God to help you, and trust in Jesus' sacrifice.
    And you might want to be careful of orthoxy. It seems to me they often make the mistake of making it all about rules. I think the leaders in Jesus' time did the same, and they wound up hating Jesus and seeking to kill him, because it was about them, not Him.
    God bless you. I will pray for you. Please pray for me too.
    We are all in the same boat down here, you know?

8. Robin Mauro

+136
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    But you do have the greatest priest, everywhere you go...Jesus.
    You can access him every day in the word, and through prayer

9. Lukaris

Lukaris Orthodox Christian Supporter

+880
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    The key is to avoid despair; sadness hits all of us but we still live by faith. Sometimes my unworthiness makes me wonder how I represent my faith. St. Paul repented from his past & boldly said he is not ashamed of the Gospel ( Romans 1:16).

Surely I dare not compare myself to St. Paul. On a lower level, amidst my sins, I feel some realization at times. As long as I know my sinful state, I think it helps me avoid delusion, to keep the golden rule ( Matthew 7:1-12), remember the commandments (Matthew 22:36-40) in expressing myself. I feel that I also might be blessed to inform someone better than me who could otherwise do something better than I would do with it. I also know I spout stupidity sometimes.

10. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+11,059
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    pray to make a good beginning, leave the past at the foot of the Cross where it belongs.

11. Andrew77

Andrew77 The walking accident Supporter

+1,208
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Constitution
    You should rejoice because you are exactly who Jesus wishes to reach out to. Jesus never came to save the perfect, but rather the flawed. Not the people who are well need a doctor, but those who are sick.

So you are the man Jesus wants. Now pray and repent of whatever it is that is causing you to be burdened, talk to your priest and pray with them. Forgiveness is always there for those willing to turn away from their sin.

12. David Cabrera

+2,503
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    It might be that I miss the Liturgy too, I haven't gone to Church in 3 weeks and I have only met one Orthodox Christian here. I feel isolated.

13. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+15,149
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I pray Psalm 50 frequently when I feel that way.

14. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,135
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Prayers.

For what it's worth (I can't know what's going on with you) ... Orthodoxy tends to be very effective at making us aware of our true spiritual condition relative to Christ Himself. Despair would not be a good result, but it's good for teaching us humility. Sometimes that realization (even ongoing) is a very good thing. But not fun or easy (to me anyway.)

It would be good to talk to a priest. But it can even be progress. Like I said though, I can't know what's going on with you, and diagnosing ourselves is sometimes foolish or even dangerous.

15. ~Anastasia~

+15,135
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Any particular reason why you can't go? Forgive me if I've missed it. I've missed a LOT on CF lately.

16. David Cabrera

+2,503
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I had some immigration issues so I came back to Ecuador for the summer and there is barely an Orthodox Church close to me, meanwhile there are like 3 Mormon churches by my neighborhood. :sigh:

17. Anhelyna

+10,973
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    David -- can you email the priest you were in contact with before you went back to Ecuador ?

18. David Cabrera

+2,503
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Sure, I went to two churches once when I was in L.A. though

19. Anhelyna

+10,973
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Email contact might be able to give you that help and support you are needing - it's worth a shot

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. ~Anastasia~

+15,135
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I agree, best to be in SOME contact. There are also streaming services, teaching podcasts, music on Ancient Faith Radio.

Is there an Orthodox Church you could get to at least some times in order to receive Communion?

Prayers.