Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I just did a search in Zahnd's book for "wrath" and one of the things he writes about is the gospel tracts by J.T. Chick (that often go hand-in-hand with Edward's theology). Some of the titles were, "Somebody Goofed", "The Awful Truth", and "Are Roman Catholics Christians?". Chick tracts typically end with everyone but those of this theological belief "being hurled into what looks like the fires of Mount Doom by a merciless God depicted as a faceless white giant" (B. Zahnd's words). That all seems to be imposed onto Scripture reading (but I don't actually see it there any longer).

It's been YEARS since I've seen a Chick tract....but I found an online source:

https://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1071/1071_01.asp (I hope there's no $$ gained for clicks).

I don't think I was even old enough to understand how slanderous and divisive these were:

1071_20.gif

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ClementofA
Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Ted Bundy, the serial killer. That recalls another serial killer-Inquisitionist of men & females, in the Scriptures. He later wrote half the NT & called himself the chief of sinners..............
Yes - the two are somewhat similar although their sins were done for seemingly different motives.

If we believe the testimony of those around Bundy in the end, he repented and received forgiveness for his sins much as did the thief on the cross.

Although both Paul and Ted were brought to salvation through the drawing work of the Holy Spirit, because they were apparently both among the elect - they were each brought to saving faith in different ways.
Exactly. I don't recall the death penalty as to how God responded, either.
Which has exactly nothing to say about the eternal state of anyone else but those two.

My post had to do with a defense of the fairness of God as righteous judge in whatever He does (whether it be the dispensing of wrath or whether it be the dispensing of mercy).

There was no commentary included in my post regarding the doctrine of universal salvation one way or the other.

**** I will say now, though, that IMO those who believe in universal salvation either haven't read their Bible or have read it with an eye toward seeing what they want to see in it regarding that particular subject.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I will say now, though, that IMO those who believe in universal salvation either haven't read their Bible or have read it with an eye toward seeing what they want to see in it regarding that particular subject.

This is what non universalists often said before changing their mind.

• Winner
Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Perish - John 3.16 - means not loss of being but loss of well being, in contrast to everlasting life.
Whatever perish 'means', if Jesus failed to accomplish victory for ALL then he fell short of the mark....which is the definition of SIN isn't it?

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish/appolumi, but have everlasting life.

Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost/appolumi.

So, did Jesus 'fall short' of 'seeking' or of 'saving' all those who were appolumi? Let the 'waffling' begin? ;)

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Marvin Knox said:
**** I will say now, though, that IMO those who believe in universal salvation either haven't read their Bible or have read it with an eye toward seeing what they want to see in it regarding that particular subject.
First off: I prefer the term "universal *restoration*" because a lot of people seem to confuse "universal salvation" to mean something like, "meh.....it doesn't matter how you live, we all end up together anyway".

"Restoration" ....IMO....seems to reflect the change that occurs in us when we are purified by Him.

I've come to this conclusion exactly by reading my Bible (putting aside the influence of mainstream modern evangelical teaching).

Also....it seems to me that a lot of people that cling to the typical views of afterlife *want* to believe that God is as vengeful as they are (towards the people they believe He should be vengeful towards).

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There was no commentary included in my post regarding the doctrine of universal salvation one way or the other.
I didn't suggest there was. What I was referring to was your comment about the judge responding to Ted Bundy by pounding his gavel down and pronouncing the death penalty against him (IOW...condemning him). I don't see God as ever giving up on people. That goes back to the original post you'd commented on of mine--where I'd posted that a person would have trouble reconciling God's omnipotence and this verse:

The Lord is not slow to fulfill His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance".~2nd Peter 3:9

I happen to believe that God gets what He desires. I believe in His omnipotence and the power of His love to bring it about.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClementofA
Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After everyone is Judged and either redeemed or in the lake of fire, Jesus says behold, I make all things new. I can only support Annihilation or Ultimate Reconciliation, in that the manifest of "all things" no longer includes those in the lake of fire, or those in the lake of fire will be redeemed also. I tend to lean towards Ultimate reconciliation because of the concept of God speaking things forth and them not returning to Him void. In the beginning God had a good purpose for all of us, and that breath spoken forth as we were born and given life will return to him, and fulfill the purpose He gave it.

So what do you do with verses like Rev 14:10 and Rev 20:10 and even Rev 20:15. Is second death not really death, so that Matt 25:46 doesn't really mean everlasting destruction and everlasting life?

So, are you anticipating a 3rd death or another resurrection after the second death? Why does making "all things new" necessarily mean every person or even Satan for that matter? Why couldn't that just refer to the nonhuman things that are being destroyed by fire? Why couldnt He just be reiterating that He did Rev 21:1-4--afterall, He did just talk about no more death or pain because the former things are passed away.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
First off: I prefer the term "universal *restoration*" because a lot of people seem to confuse "universal salvation" to mean something like, "meh.....it doesn't matter how you live, we all end up together anyway".

"Restoration" ....IMO....seems to reflect the change that occurs in us when we are purified by Him.

I've come to this conclusion exactly by reading my Bible (putting aside the influence of mainstream modern evangelical teaching).

Also....it seems to me that a lot of people that cling to the typical views of afterlife *want* to believe that God is as vengeful as they are (towards the people they believe He should be vengeful towards).
I like 'ultimate reconciliation' because God has done His half. And that half was to get the sins of EVERYONE 'paid for' by Jesus. That includes ALL SINS....past, present, future....period. ALL sins were 'paid for' 2000 years ago. And as far as GOD is concerned we are ALL reconciled TO HIM then, because of Jesus who paid the price for ALL.

That's why scripture now gives US the 'ministry of reconciliation' which means we are to tell others the 'good news' that Jesus died for YOUR SINS and you are FORGIVEN. So accept that forgiveness. And you do not accept to BE forgiven on God's part, but to complete the process of ULTIMATE RECONCILIATION where we can now accept His gift to FEEL His love and forgiveness.

2CO 5:18 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.

• Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So what do you do with verses like Rev 14:10 and Rev 20:10 and even Rev 20:15. Is second death not really death, so that Matt 25:46 doesn't really mean everlasting destruction and everlasting life?

So, are you anticipating a 3rd death or another resurrection after the second death? Why does making "all things new" necessarily mean every person or even Satan for that matter? Why couldn't that just refer to the nonhuman things that are being destroyed by fire? Why couldnt He just be reiterating that He did Rev 21:1-4--afterall, He did just talk about no more death or pain because the former things are passed away.
I tend to read a second death in the Romans 6:7 sense. God is the lake of Fire and the consuming fire, then attribute the personality of Jesus to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This is what non universalists often said before changing their mind.
Good!

Then I'm in good company since, at this stage, I'm quite sure that universalists haven't a leg to stand on.
Whatever term you prefer - the fact remains that the scriptures teach that not everyone will be saved (or "restored" if you prefer).
it seems to me that a lot of people that cling to the typical views of afterlife *want* to believe that God is as vengeful as they are (towards the people they believe He should be vengeful towards).
I don't think that they "want " to believe that God will display His righteous judgement. I'm pretty sure they just believe it in spite of wishing it were not so.
I don't see God as ever giving up on people.
God has already given the majority of people over to their sins.

His grace will be shown throughout eternity by His patient striving with others in this present era.

I'd love to find out that your view is correct in the end. But I don't see it in the scriptures rightly divided.

For what it's worth (quite a bit IMO) the overwhelming majority of Bible believing Christians also don't see it your way, according to the scriptures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
For what it's worth (quite a bit IMO) the overwhelming majority of Bible believing Christians also don't see it your way, according to the scriptures.

(A.) That's debatable. For example, both the RC & EO allow one to hope for universalism, though many don't just hope but believe it in spite of their church's position. Moreover many more would accept universalism if they weren't entirely ignorant of its positions, or were fully informed of the view. BTW, many others have rejected endless torments in favor of endless annihilation.

(B.) It may have been true through the dark & middle ages when few people had bibles of their own & wouldn't have been able to read them if they did & to speak otherwise would have meant punishment or death. Not a point that is in favor of anti-universalism.

(C.) In the early church, when they could read the Scriptures in their original languages, rather than English language KJV pro Endless Infernalism club mistranslated clones, there were, at times at least, many (or perhaps a majority) who rejected endless punishment:

(1.) "Even Augustine, the champion of eternal torment said in his day, "There are very many (imo quam plurimi, which can be translated majority) who though not denying the Holy Scriptures, do not believe in endless torments" (Enchiria, ad Laurent. c. 29). St. Basil the Great (c. 329-379) in his De Asceticis wrote: "The mass of men (Christians) say that there is to be an end of punishment to those who are punished." " Appendix Five

"It is in vain, then, that some, indeed very many, make moan over the eternal punishment, and perpetual, unintermitted torments of the lost, and say they do not believe it shall be so; not, indeed, that they directly oppose themselves to Holy Scripture..." Augustine's ENCHIRIDION, Chs. 97-122

The context of the Augustine (c. 354-430 AD) quote in chapters 111 & 112 includes fallen angels & implies their ultimate salvation.

(2.) "St. Basil the Great (c. 329-379) in his De Asceticis wrote: "The mass of men (Christians) say that there is to be an end of punishment to those who are punished." "(The Ascetic Works of St. Basil, pp.329-30...Conc. 14 De. fut judic)." Universalism and the Salvation of Satan

"...many people...adhere to the conception of the end of punishment..." (Basil)

(Basil’s short Regulae for his monks, 267 (PG 31,1264,30–1265,47) & by Symeon Metaphrastes, Or. 14 De iudicio 3,551–552. As quoted & cited in Ramelli, The Christian Doctrine of Apokatastasis, p.352).

If there is an end of punishment to those punished, then what is left but universal salvation, even of devils?

(3) John Chrysostom (c. 349-407 A.D.) "There are many men...thinking that hell is...temporary, not eternal..." (Homilies on Second Thessalonians 3 (NPNF 1 13:384)).

(4.) "St. Jerome (c. 342-420 A.D.), the author of the Vulgate Latin Bible...writes: "I know that most persons understand by the story of Nineveh and its King, the ultimate forgiveness of the devil and all rational creatures." The Church Fathers on Universalism

Jerome says:

"I know that many people interpret the king of Nineveh as the devil, saying that he, at the end of the world (on the grounds that no rational creature made by God should perish), descending from his pride, would repent, and be restored to his former place." [Commentary on Jonah 3:6-9] https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/bitstream/handle/2142/46905/Amy_Oh.pdf?sequence=1

Whether or not the reference to Ninevah is a misrepresentation by Jerome against his opponents, such as Origen, is unknown. What is known is that Origen (c. 184-254 AD) based his doctrine of universalism on the Scriptures, his favorite passage being 1 Cor.15:28:

"This final phrase is a clear reference to 1Cor 15:28, Origen’s and Nyssen’s favourite passage in support of the apokatastasis doctrine.34" (page 15)

"The eventual submission of humanity to God is a reference to Paul’s eschatological revelation in 1Cor 15:24–28, which is also a very universalistic passage, concluding with the presence of God as “all in all.” This will be one of the favourite passages of Origen in support of the doctrine of apokatastasis." (page 94)

"Thus, at the end of all aeons, in the eventual apokatastasis, all will come to be, no longer in any aeon, but in God the Trinity, and in turn God will be “all in all.” The meaning of this Pauline sentence (1Cor 15:28, Origen’s favourite passage in defence of apokatastasis) is explained especially in Princ. 3,6,2–3. Here, Origen first deduces the definitive eviction of evil from the presence of God “all in all,” given that it is impossible to admit that God may be found in evil, as I have already pointed out; then, he examines:

" "What is this “all” that God will be “in all”? […] It means that God will be “all” even in every individual creature. And God will be “all” in these creatures in the sense that whatever the rational intellect, freed from any dirtiness of sin and purified from any taint of evil, will be able to perceive, grasp and think, all this will be God […], and so God will be all for this intellect […], because evil will not exist any more: for such intellect, God, untouched by evil, is all. One who is always in the Good and for whom God is all, will no longer wish to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil […] After removing every sense of evil, only he who is the sole good God will become all for the creature returned to a state of soundness and purity […] and not only in few or in many, but in all God will be all, when at last there will be no more death, nor death’s sting, nor evil, most definitely: then God will truly be “all in all.” " " (page 168)

Ilaria Ramelli, The Christian Doctrine of Apokatastasis: A Critical Assessment from the New Testament to Eriugena (Brill, 2013. 890 pp.)

The Christian Doctrine of <i>Apokatastasis</i>

Scholars directory, with list of publications:

Ilaria L.E. Ramelli - ISNS Scholars Directory

>Believers and Supporters of Christian Universalism

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I tend to read a second death in the Romans 6:7 sense. God is the lake of Fire and the consuming fire, then attribute the personality of Jesus to it.[/QUOTE

Obviously, I don't agree.

I just don't think it is intellectually consistent to say that one is really eternal (it just happens to be the one we like--eternal life) and one isn't (and it just happens to be the one that we want to claim is contrary to the character of Jesus, even though He taught more about it than anyone else--as if it was something to fear--gehenna).

I see a real danger to making something into allegory that could be taken literally. Jesus suggested "tormented day and night forever" and "smoke of their torment rising up forever and ever." If we are going to allegorize eternal punishment; then how do we not allegorize eternal life, too. So, that there really isn't this place called "the new heaven and the new earth" where there will be no more suffering, tears, or death? And, then, what promises can you stand on? Jesus defined eternal life as "knowing the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom He has sent." (John 17:3). So, just being allowed to get to know God for a short time before you die to this earth would qualify as meeting John 3:16 promise.

Personally, I'm glad I believe what God says and don't try to sluff off the hard stuff. The true God isn't inconsistent. The God that worked with Abraham and Noah is the same one and only true living God. The God that talks about wrath is the same true God that talks about love and grace and mercy. There is a real danger when people separate Him, as if He has a split personality or reject part of Him in favor of the other. Adam knew how much God loved him and wasn't separated from God, yet chose to sin. The same true and living God cursed Adam (and ultimately all of us to separation that we didn't have before Adam sinned). The same true and living God flooded the old earth and has reserved the current earth and heaven for fire.

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is "the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience" (in Ephesians 2:2). This will be staying somewhere. And there are humans who are of this evil and selfish and stubborn spirit; so they are at risk of remaining with it where it is going to stay.

His love is winning out, now, in ones who obey. But there are ones who are refusing.

This so works in ones who obey the Gospel now. But others will reap what they have been sowing > Galatians 6:7-8 < what you reap spiritually will be so much more than you have been sowing, now. And for ones who reap corruption, fire will be for containment so their nasty filth of the spirit of evil (Ephesians 2:2) . . . Satan's spirit of disobedience . . . does not go elsewhere. So, like I offer, it's not only for tormenting and torturing, but the fire is practical for controlling ones who are so stubborn.

It is like how fire does not transform a lion into a nice kitty cat. But a kitten can benefit from the warming of the same fire which a lion fears.

That fire killed the men who threw Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego into the furnace. So, the same fire meant one thing for the enemies and another thing for Shadrach, Mechach, and Abed-Nego.

The Bible says we will reap what we sow. It does not say anyone will go into non-existence or that the reapers of corruption will then become refined. We can become refined, now, in this life with Jesus, then reap in the resurrection. Hebrews 12:4-11 is clear how now our God and Father of Jesus Christ is able to correct us and prepare us for eternity with Him. And our Apostle Paul says our time is now.

Romans 8:29 says God will change His children into the image of Jesus, so we are ready to spend eternity with Him. So, in case anyone really believes they will spend eternity with Jesus, we need to be getting His real correction now so we are ready.

Various words can indeed have different and even exact opposite meanings. But the meaning of God's word is how He will change His children to become like Christ. And Hebrews 12:4-11 is clear that we now need to actively seek God for this correction, and not try to just do some self-disciplining thing. And if we don't, it is clear > "no one will see the Lord."

"But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived." (2 Timothy 3:13)

Right now, each of us is getting a sample in us of how we will become so much moreso after we die. We already are experiencing how Heaven is, because of God's love "in our hearts" (Romans 5:5); or we already are experiencing "torment" which our selfish nature makes us weak and degraded enough to suffer > 1 John 4:18. Whichever each of us has gotten started in will be reaped . . . greatly multiplied . . . in the resurrection. And what is spiritual does not go out of existence.

Our feelings and emotions can come and go, and ones might suppose this means things can go out of existence and out of consciousness. But the spiritual source does not go out of existence. There will be people sharing with Satan in his spirit, and we in Jesus will share with Jesus our Groom in His Holy Spirit of His love.
Stubborn is the word ,and pride ,both together create a block against God's Spirit which enlightens
and cleanses us . There are people of the 'emotional ' ,irrational type who are now stopping all 'corridas ' ,but they are ignorant of the fact that the 'bull' is the most stubborn of animals ,his purpose is just to have sex ,and he inhabits basic humanity ,carnal humanity .He was 'adored ' by the
people of the bronze age as a sign of riches and fertility ( sign at the end of may, the beginning of june )
The Corrida célébrâtes his demise ,as humanity started to climb out of this lower self, and reach out to the higher path traced by God in the bible
However he still dominates in the minds of most traditional christians who are stuck at the lower level afraid to enquire .

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ted Bundy, the serial killer. That recalls another serial killer-Inquisitionist of men & females, in the Scriptures. He later wrote half the NT & called himself the chief of sinners.

>Believers and Supporters of Christian Universalism
To say that Bundy was like Paul , is to say that a policeman was like him too, as Paul was part of a system which considered Jesus and His followers as dangerous to society ,and Paul not only did not kill them himself, (neither did Hitler ) but left that to 'the system ' .
Paul was not totally corrupted ,so he could repent and feel real sorrow , but Bundy was totally corrupt , and unless my memory does not serve me well , was beyond redemption , there was nothing left to redeem .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that they "want " to believe that God will display His righteous judgement. I'm pretty sure they just believe it in spite of wishing it were not so.
I disagree, I think we fully realize just what "righteous judgement" truly is. And it isn't sending most of His beloved creation to some eternal Auschwitz.

God has already given the majority of people over to their sins.
I wouldn't say "majority". I'd have to agree with scripture and say ALL.

Romans 11:32 For God has shut up all in disobedience so that He may show mercy to all.

But how wonderful it is that He eventually 'shows mercy to all.' Now 'that' is truly "righteous judgement" IMO.

grace will be shown throughout eternity by His patient striving with others in this present era.
Well, according to scripture, what is going to be shown "in the ages to come" isn't grace to keep us saved. It is to finish the ministry of reconciliation with the same grace that SAVED us in this 'present era'.

EPH 2:7 that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God -- 9 not because of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship,

Just who do you think He is going to 'show the immeasureable riches' his saving grace to, in the future ages, since WE already "have been saved" according to scripture?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Obviously, I don't agree.

I just don't think it is intellectually consistent to say that one is really eternal (it just happens to be the one we like--eternal life) and one isn't (and it just happens to be the one that we want to claim is contrary to the character of Jesus, even though He taught more about it than anyone else--as if it was something to fear--gehenna).

I see a real danger to making something into allegory that could be taken literally. Jesus suggested "tormented day and night forever" and "smoke of their torment rising up forever and ever." If we are going to allegorize eternal punishment; then how do we not allegorize eternal life, too. So, that there really isn't this place called "the new heaven and the new earth" where there will be no more suffering, tears, or death? And, then, what promises can you stand on? Jesus defined eternal life as "knowing the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom He has sent." (John 17:3). So, just being allowed to get to know God for a short time before you die to this earth would qualify as meeting John 3:16 promise.

Personally, I'm glad I believe what God says and don't try to sluff off the hard stuff. The true God isn't inconsistent. The God that worked with Abraham and Noah is the same one and only true living God. The God that talks about wrath is the same true God that talks about love and grace and mercy. There is a real danger when people separate Him, as if He has a split personality or reject part of Him in favor of the other. Adam knew how much God loved him and wasn't separated from God, yet chose to sin. The same true and living God cursed Adam (and ultimately all of us to separation that we didn't have before Adam sinned). The same true and living God flooded the old earth and has reserved the current earth and heaven for fire.
I've looked at from many angles including the one you are expressing, it gives me freedom to just look at who God is in all of it.

• Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sinners in the Hands of a Loving God

John 15
[5] I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Matt 15 [16]
And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Whatever term you prefer - the fact remains that the scriptures teach that not everyone will be saved (or "restored" if you prefer).
It depends on what you're looking for (and what assumptions you're imposing onto Scripture).

There's been three different views that have been accepted in Christianity. The more modern view of hell being more like Dante's Inferno only came about more recently (and, most likely, because fear is a wonderful way to control people and maintain power).

This image shows the verses that correspond with each after-life belief (from the documentary, Hellbound)

24131589_10214745707667441_3044923290696380891_n.jpg

CAC article said:
The idea of hell as we most commonly view it came much more from Dante’s Divine Comedy than the Bible. Dante’s Purgatorio and Inferno are brilliant Italian poetry, but horrible Christian theology. Dante’s view of God is largely nonbiblical; however, there are some great insights in the Paradiso.

In his book, Introduction to Christianity, Pope Benedict XVI explains his understanding of the curious phrase in the middle of the Apostles’ Creed: “[Jesus] descended into hell.” Benedict says that if Jesus went to hell, that means there is no hell—because Jesus and hell cannot coexist. Once Jesus got there, the whole game of punishment was over, as it were. One of the most popular icons in the Eastern Orthodox Church shows Jesus with his legs spread, bridging the abyss of hell, pulling people out of the darkness. This is called “the icon of icons” in the East because it shows the highest level of contemplative perspective and the essence of the Good News.~https://cac.org/a-toxic-image-of-god-2016-01-28/
This is the icon mentioned....it's also called "Christ's Victory":

resurrection2007.jpg

Orthodox Road said:
This is one of my favorite Eastern Orthodox icons. It is referred to as Christ’s Descent into Hades, Anastasis or Resurrection Icon. It is the primary icon of Pascha (Easter).

Some key features:

• Christ’s cape/robe is flowing upward, this symbolizes his radical descent into Hades to save those who have died in the flesh.
  • The golden bars by his feet are the gates of Hades, which he has broken and torn apart. There are keys floating in the abyss below, which symbolizes that he has entered and conquered both death and Hades.
  • You may also note the skeletal figure who is chained up: that is Death and/or Satan. He has been bound and killed by Christ, which is why all throughout Pascha we sing “Christ has trampled down death by death.” The icon depicts Hebrews 2:14, “that through death he might destroy him who has the power of death, that is, the devil.” The power of the devil and death have been destroyed through the life-giving death of our Savior.
  • The two figures whom Christ has grasped and is pulling from tombs are Adam and Eve, symbolizing that his victory redeems all mankind, even back to the beginning. It also foreshadows the general resurrection of the body before the Final Judgment.
  • To the left, we see three characters: David and Solomon, two of his ancestors according to his fleshly nature. We also see, closest to him, John the Baptizer, who was his forerunner in both life and death.
  • The figures on the right vary from icon to icon. Initially, I was told that they generic representatives for those who are presently alive, but after further research I have discovered that all of the characters (on the left and right) are Old Testament prophets and saints. Moses is usually depicted on the right as well as other prophets. Additionally, there are the three youth who went into the fiery furnace and a shepherd, the latter of which may depict the ones who first venerated our Lord at His birth.
  • The blue shape around Christ is called the Mandorla (which is Italian for almond, which describes its shape). The Mandorla is the uncreated, eternal light of Christ. In the writings of the Eastern Orthodox mystics, God is often prayerfully experienced as light. This is not simply a pretty bright light. It is the same light which filled the apostles with wonder when they witnessed His Transfiguration. It is the light which Christ Himself described as the power of the Kingdom of God (Mark 9:1 Matt 16:28 Luke 9:27). It is the light that filled the once perpetual darkness of Hades when Christ descended and brought life into the realm of death. It is also the light that is seen when one purifies their heart and mind (Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.)
  • The Mandorla becomes progressively darker as it moves toward its center, which is Christ. If God is represented by light, the Mandorlamay seem confusing. However, those who seek God will find that the more they know Him, the less they comprehend Him. To know God, to experience Him, is to walk in the darkness of His light, to enter into the mystery of His presence.
One of the key things to remember is that icons are not meant to be “photo recordings” of what happened. These are symbolic tools that assists us in comprehension of the gospel truth through our sense of sight.

For further reading on the intriguing ancient account from which this icon is taken, check out The Harrowing of Hades.~Christ’s Descent into Hades – icon explanation

Last edited:
Upvote 0