• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Singular vs. plural in worship

Discussion in 'Worship Ministry' started by Paidiske, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+14,663
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    This was an interesting reflection: The Potentially Pernicious Power of Pesky Pronouns | Reformed Worship

He ended up here: "Balance. Balance between the individual who needs to be nurtured in their personal apprenticeship to the Savior and the congregation of individuals that can be formed into a community by Word and, more importantly, Sacrament. Balance. Balance between our need to be known and accountable and our opportunity to be welcomed and commissioned. Balance. Balance between the dangerous self-focused world of the unchallenged “I” and the equally dangerous selfish anonymity that can be found in a liturgy of unchecked “we.”"

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+2,788
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Interesting. So I am not alone? I've always pondered why I'm saying "we" when praying the Daily Office alone at home. Sometimes, but not always, I slip an "I" in there someplace.

3. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+14,663
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    I think one of the great strengths of having a daily office is that, even when we pray it on our own, we pray it as part of a community of people who each pray it. It might seem strange, but I get great comfort from knowing that many other people share these words and reflections with me in a daily rhythm.

4. Bob Crowley

Bob Crowley Well-Known Member Supporter

+783
    Australia
    Catholic
    Married
    While CS Lewis wasn't referring to worship when he put the following quote in "The Screwtape Letters", I suppose the bun fight about "I" and "we" in liturgical matters could be a case in point. We usually lurch from one extreme to another due to our fallen nature.

“The game is to have them all running about with fire extinguishers when there is a flood, and all crowding to that side of the boat which is already nearly gunwale under.”