Metro Detroit
✟9,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you are single and have few or no family members, what is your experience of finding your contentment in Jesus and having undivided devotion to the Lord? Regarding loneliness, how has God helped you and what's your experience been with loneliness or not being lonely? Also, what was it like for you to see whether or not you can accept that it's better not to marry (Matthew 19:10-12)?

For some background on me, I already don't have a large family and I'm an only child, and if God wills, my time on earth could outlast that of most of my family. Looking at Matthew 19:10-12, and 1 Corinthians 7:25-40, some questions I want to ask myself are if I could accept that it's better not to marry, and if I could settle the matter in my own mind, would I be under no compulsion, would I have control over my own will, and could I make up my mind not to marry.
When I think of the potential future reality of my only family being more distant and/or non-Bible-believing Christians, I can get discouraged, but I know God is able to make my life thrive through such circumstances. I don't know what factors should go in to making the decision of whether or not I would marry, and seeing if I can accept that it's better not to marry; writing this, it's clear that trusting God is necessary.
So I would be glad to hear and hopefully be encouraged by what other singles have experienced in terms of being Christian and having few or no family members.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have few family members and none of the ones in my immediate family are believers, and I'm unmarried.
To be perfectly honest, I'm very lonely and depressed. a holy spirit that I can't even hug, livestreamed church services, isolation from friends and family and online communication are no replacement for company.
It hasn't been better for me to not marry from my experience but that's what God has laid out for me.

It has not been a blessing at all. It's miserable.

Upvote 0

HisGraceAbounds

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Both of my parents have passed on. I am an only child of the union of my parents. My father did have children in a previous marriage, but I have no relationship with them.

I'm divorced, no kids. No prospects for dating.

It's been a very lonely life. At least Jesus loves me. Seems He is the only one most days.

Upvote 0

Lg2000

Dec 15, 2003
L.A.
✟27,613.00
Faith
Christian
Single father. Besides my dad all my family lives far away. So i have two kids who im raising . I do get lonely sometimes but having major health problems has stopped me from even looking for a partner and im okay with that now.

I just trust god that im where im supposed to be at right now .

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The way I look at it, if God wants me to have a wife, he will cause it to happen. So I leave it up to providence.

As for family members, I rarely see or speak to them. There's no negative situation involved with that, we're just not very good at keeping in touch. Plus my older brother and sister live out-of-state.

So for the regular contact family and friends experience, I find that in my church fellowship.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Just what every man wants... a male spouse...

Hmmm...that's what you got out of that huh...

Sometimes my poeticizing can be sorta like a Rorschach Test...

...I guess...

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm...that's what you got out of that huh...

Sometimes my poeticizing can be sorta like a Rorschach Test...

...I guess...

It's something that bothers me about that concept of being "betrothed" to Jesus, and that there is no marriage between men and women anymore in eternity.. so your "spouse" is Jesus, whether you're a man or a woman. Seems off, that He created them male and female, but the eternal relationship ... male and male?
all kinds of wrong.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It's something that bothers me about that concept of being "betrothed" to Jesus, and that there is no marriage between men and women anymore in eternity.. so your "spouse" is Jesus, whether you're a man or a woman. Seems off, that He created them male and female, but the eternal relationship ... male and male?
all kinds of wrong.

Huh...?

I had in mind the Messiah Who did the Father's Will fully.

And wasn't that to lay His Life down for His Bride?

So, it is like an arranged marriage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Huh...?

I had in mind the Messiah Who did the Father's Will fully.

And wasn't that to lay His Life down for His Bride?

So, it is like an arranged marriage.

yeah and some of that "bride" are men.
It's not emasculating at all to you?

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you are single and have few or no family members, what is your experience of finding your contentment in Jesus and having undivided devotion to the Lord? Regarding loneliness, how has God helped you and what's your experience been with loneliness or not being lonely? Also, what was it like for you to see whether or not you can accept that it's better not to marry (Matthew 19:10-12)?

For some background on me, I already don't have a large family and I'm an only child, and if God wills, my time on earth could outlast that of most of my family. Looking at Matthew 19:10-12, and 1 Corinthians 7:25-40, some questions I want to ask myself are if I could accept that it's better not to marry, and if I could settle the matter in my own mind, would I be under no compulsion, would I have control over my own will, and could I make up my mind not to marry.
When I think of the potential future reality of my only family being more distant and/or non-Bible-believing Christians, I can get discouraged, but I know God is able to make my life thrive through such circumstances. I don't know what factors should go in to making the decision of whether or not I would marry, and seeing if I can accept that it's better not to marry; writing this, it's clear that trusting God is necessary.
So I would be glad to hear and hopefully be encouraged by what other singles have experienced in terms of being Christian and having few or no family members.
That's a lot of which ands or whats:)
Why not just let God handle your future and you just live it to the best of your ability and leave it in his hands?
If God has a plan for you as a husband or wife, fine and if not fine. Whatever it is you can handle it.
I've been single for years and years, eventually it becomes easier but there are always times when you think you would like to have someone to share with but if it is meant to be it will. I've had most of the experiences you have not had but I still think you should just not worry about it and live your life with Gods plan in mind and be content. Married or not you deal:) If you just can't deal with it then go out and do something about it.
Mingle and be friends with many and let God choose which one is right for you. That way you make your own family of wife and children and your never lonely again.
God Bless You.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
yeah and some of that "bride" are men.
It's not emasculating at all to you?

I think you're getting masculine/feminine mixed up with male/female.

C.S. Lewis does a good job in illustrating the difference in His Space Trilogy books (the second one I believe).

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think you're getting masculine/feminine mixed up with male/female.

C.S. Lewis does a good job in illustrating the difference in His Space Trilogy books (the second one I believe).
Well, Jesus was born boy, grew up, had a beard.. described as the Son, He/Him/His pronouns...
seems male to me

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well, Jesus was born boy, grew up, had a beard.. described as the Son, He/Him/His pronouns...
seems male to me

He also said this:

Matthew 12:48-50
"But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother."

He also did the will of His Father Himself.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That way you make your own family of wife and children and your never lonely again.
God Bless You.

I think many people with spouses and kids are lonely also if they are not walking in His Perfect Will.

• Agree
Reactions: justtrance
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think many people with spouses and kids are lonely also if they are not walking in His Perfect Will.
ummm, maybe, lol. I think there can be loneliness in any situation. But its a start to have family around you.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
We’re a close knit family. My relationship with the Lord is priceless. But it isn’t a substitute for loved ones. Nor are Christians. I don’t put anyone in their place. They’re irreplaceable.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

• Agree
Reactions: Jamdoc
Upvote 0