United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone,

Many here may remember a similar post to this,but if not I’d like to ask the community a question.I’m 19 and a male,and right now I’m my life I’m very sad being single,my sister who is younger and not a very fruitful producing “Christian” has a boyfriend.

I’m 19,never had a girlfriend,the only thing close to that was what I now consider a close friend while I was in middle school,and it wasn’t even a very atypical relationship.Now 19,I desire to marry,although I am not prepared for it I must confess,I keep praying to God to please trust me with one of his daughters,yet I still live day in and out with raging sexual/romantic desire.And it’s very hard for a single guy like me,which men are visually stimulated,to bounce my eyes,discipline the chin up policy when speaking with a girl,and being unable to release in any pure and appropriate manner.

can someone offer advice?

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟31,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nobody in the first world is incentivized to help you. They do not want to lift a finger to make your life easier. If you don't have resources available to you through friends and family, you're far more likely to satisfy the schadenfreude of selfish people than to find help among them. If you manage to evade the hopelessness in church, you'll have to deal with modern first world feminism, which is obviously not designed to suit your interests.

You're young enough. If I were in your shoes I would consider other cultures and abandon ship.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟777,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Nobody in the first world is incentivized to help you. They do not want to lift a finger to make your life easier. If you don't have resources available to you through friends and family, you're far more likely to satisfy the schadenfreude of selfish people than to find help among them. If you manage to evade the hopelessness in church, you'll have to deal with modern first world feminism, which is obviously not designed to suit your interests.

You're young enough. If I were in your shoes I would consider other cultures and abandon ship.
Huh?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,116.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Girls reach their physical peak earlier than guys do. At 19, odds are you have not peaked yet.

As long as you believe it is impossible for you, it will be.

Don't think that just because a girl seems to like you that you have to put up with narcissistic or abusive behavior.

If a girl has a boyfriend and seems to be interested in you, she's either not seriously interested in you, or she won't take a relationship with you seriously (because she's not taking her relationship with her boyfriend seriously).

If you ask a girl out and she says no, don't hover around her hoping she'll change her mind or ask her a second time. Save your heart and have some dignity.

Don't allow yourself to give a girl non-physical boyfriend benefits if you're not dating her. She won't respect that any more than guys respect girls who give away physical benefits to guys they aren't dating.

Do not think that if you have trouble finding women in your country that you will have better luck with women from a different country. The charm of being different wears off, people acclimate to new countries taking on some of the flaws inherent in the new country's culture, and when you listen to the reasons foreign women like men from a different country, it often betrays that they don't want to put as much into relationships as the guys from their countries expect from wife material. Foreign women aren't all bad, but they're not all good either.

Some women go to dating sites & apps merely for validation. They will also have to weed through more inappropriate messages than you care to imagine.

Some women have impossibly high standards even though they are only average looking. Move on if they do.

It's not your job to save any woman by dating her or by giving her non-physical boyfriend benefits. If she can't or won't make good decisions, you don't want her for a wife.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟777,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Sounds like you meant to respond to a different thread or something.

• Agree
Reactions: Vinter
Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟31,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Women are more likely to lean toward hypergamy -- choosing mates above their social class. You might not be above the social class of a foreign woman, but if you're an American, you have at least one thing going for you -- the dollar. If you play your cards right, your money will stretch further in other economies. There's an e-nomad movement going on right now based on the economics of this situation.

I'm just giving practical advice here. I would not remarry an American woman who does not value marriage. No way, no how. You have to make your own choices, but I'm giving you the advice I wish I had received at your age.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟777,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
It's called common sense.

I wouldn't tell someone of another culture to come to America to find a wife, so I would not give different advice to an American.
I guess I missed seeing an option for him to return to his country to find a wife.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟114,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

The what,you know me.This seems like your very angry,are you trying to tell me to abandon faith or to quit trying?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟777,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi everyone,

Many here may remember a similar post to this,but if not I’d like to ask the community a question.I’m 19 and a male,and right now I’m my life I’m very sad being single,my sister who is younger and not a very fruitful producing “Christian” has a boyfriend.

I’m 19,never had a girlfriend,the only thing close to that was what I now consider a close friend while I was in middle school,and it wasn’t even a very atypical relationship.Now 19,I desire to marry,although I am not prepared for it I must confess,I keep praying to God to please trust me with one of his daughters,yet I still live day in and out with raging sexual/romantic desire.And it’s very hard for a single guy like me,which men are visually stimulated,to bounce my eyes,discipline the chin up policy when speaking with a girl,and being unable to release in any pure and appropriate manner.

I hate to sound like this, but we are fallen creatures, we are but dust. Often, the ideal we seek simply will not happen, and we are left to just muddle through the best we can. Life is not only our pursuit of the theoretical. I think this is by design, so we lose our tendency to trust ourselves, and begin to cling to Christ even as better than our self-assessment. I have been told otherwise, by old and wise Christians, but God has his plan for each of us. None of us is the same as another. So take what I say with a strong grain of salt. But do cling to Christ for dear life. He really doesn't mind.

• Winner
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟295,811.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I have quite a few relatives in successful marriage with 1st world nationality.

I live in a 3rd world country. From my perspective, they are rich now, living like royalty and able to afford pleasures we only dream of. I've been in some of their homes and it's like stepping into a dream!

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Norbert L

Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
For what it's worth, I know a socially awkward man and some women were still attracted to him because he owned his own home. Such a thing is not without its' pitfalls seeing that it's possible to become overly paranoid that the opposite sex is only after your wealth. However there is some good sense in being financially responsible given that money issues play a significant role whereby marriages can end in divorce.

"Get your fields ready and plant your crops before starting a home". Proverbs 24:27 CEV

• Agree
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟295,811.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
For what it's worth, I know a socially awkward man and some women were still attracted to him because he owned his own home. Such a thing is not without its' pitfalls seeing that it's possible to become overly paranoid that the opposite sex is only after your wealth. However there is some good sense in being financially responsible given that money issues play a significant role whereby marriages can end in divorce.

"Get your fields ready and plant your crops before starting a home". Proverbs 24:27 CEV

It depends on the place or country.

If money or financial security is difficult to have (or conversely, easy to lose) in a certain nation, it breeds a behavior where citizens do anything to find financial security.

It's bad, evil setup and you could as well blame your leaders and politicians for it.

In countries where money is easy to have or you don't end up homeless for losing all your money, love is easier to find. You'll find this in the Nordic countries or even in Canada or New Zealand, w/e. Ironically, these are the values of our Lord Christ - to make things easy, NOT hard.

The love of money is the root of evil indeed because it makes everything a lot harder for all of us. It makes getting help difficult, getting proper healthcare, education, and even romance. It's very anti-Christ.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟31,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The what,you know me.This seems like your very angry,are you trying to tell me to abandon faith or to quit trying?

I'm just being brutally honest. As the philosophers believed, you can tell much about a society by their arts and if our arts are any indication, culture in America has changed. We don't value romance like we used to. That may not seem like much but when the society's ideal of happiness does not include it, it's going to make a big difference.

People in third world countries might think we have it so great here, and don't misunderstand, we have some benefits, but they haven't experience enough to see through the lies. What is wealth anyways? What's the point of having material goods if you don't have friends, family, or a community? In America, we exchange these things for material, and we lie to ourselves, thinking it's what we need so that we could have the social benefits, in a culture that doesn't even value the human connection any more. People in poorer nations may not fully understand the worth of what first world economies want them to throw away, until it's gone.

That "American" equals "christian" is another lie. There are christians all around the world.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟295,811.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm just being brutally honest. As the philosophers believed, you can tell much about a society by their arts and if our arts are any indication, culture in America has changed. We don't value romance like we used to. That may not seem like much but when the society's ideal of happiness does not include it, it's going to make a big difference.

People in third world countries might think we have it so great here, and don't misunderstand, we have some benefits, but they haven't experience enough to see through the lies. What is wealth anyways? What's the point of having material goods if you don't have friends, family, or a community? In America, we exchange these things for material, and we lie to ourselves, thinking it's what we need so that we could have the social benefits, in a culture that doesn't even value the human connection any more. People in poorer nations may not fully understand the worth of what first world economies want them to throw away, until it's gone.

That "American" equals "christian" is another lie. There are christians all around the world.

I have lived in first world nations for while coming from 3rd world. USA is not the same in every place. I think the laid back, small town places have it better, same for New Zealand.

I think it's the "big city" culture that corrupts people. We have the same issues here in 3rd world and our big cities are quiet westernized in culture.

The wiser Americans don't go looking for wives in our big cities, they go elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟378,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'd recommend tapping into that raging desire to focus on your other life goals. Things that you have control of, like doing your homework, eating right, or becoming better at your job. You want to find a girl who is genuinely right for you, and doing these things will help increase your odds of that happening.

Having a girlfriend doesn't necessarily mean mean that God trusts a man with one of his daughters. Many couples are together because of things like lust, peer pressure, and convenience. Happy couples, however, are less common. Especially after the newness and idealizing of each other wears off. I'm not saying these things to discourage you from finding a girlfriend, but to emphasize that it's important to prioritize and be careful.

As far as cultures go, cultures contain a multiplicity of people. Because of this, generalizations aren't necessarily useful in terms of relationship potential. I'd focus more on your own culture, so to speak, in terms of what you value and have to offer in life. Then, if you manage to find a woman on the same page, you'll have a decent chance at sharing a good life together.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
Downtown
✟565,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Try to tone down the sense of urgency. For one thing you don't want to end up rushing into a bad relationship. You've got plenty of time for things to fall into place the way they should. You can't gauge your situation or yourself by others. Jacob in the Bible had to wait 14 years to get the woman he wanted. So don't feel like God isn't with you in this matter.

Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟31,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship