Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
To those of us who are already seperated, divorced/single. This is a time for us to seek the respect for ourselves and from others that we deserve. I pray that everyone here will have a revelation of that, and have the courage to do so and avoid getting mixed up in harmful relationships/ or casual sex that leads us to be hurt more. We need to be single unto the lord and offer our bodies to him as living sacrifices and trust him to meet our needs... we need to embrace this singleness with joy and trust... so that we can learn to love ourselves and make decisions that will lead us to meet the right person.

I came across a book that i'm going to buy.. called "single, saved and having sex" by ty adamson.. i'll find a link and post it.

http://www.amazon.com/Single-Saved-Having-Sex-Adams/dp/097401320X

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
We need to respect ourselves. i don't want to be reduced to yet "another woman" to have sex with. I am more then that. I am a person. I am unique and want to love and be loved. I want to be made love to... which is an expression of someone's love for me, but is not the cornerstone of our oneness. yes making love and enjoying sex is important.. but i want it to be an expression of love for me, not the bread of the love for me.. does that make sense?

The difference between just having lustful sex and making love to someone is devotion and commitment.. commitment to one you truly love.. and a decision you make to devote your life and love to them. In that situation alone should sex take place so that it is respectful and safe. We women, and men require that level of commitment for it to be an act of respect that is owed to another person. Those are my thoughts at this time in my life. I can't wait until I have that level of love and commitment with someone, at least i hope i will some day in my life. And this time I'll do it right. I should not have ever married my soon to be ex husband in the first place. I knew I had made a mistake right after I did it, even before actually. I should have repented then and got a divorce and cut my losses. We all make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes have huge consequences. Nevertheless God can still heal us. It happens to us all, no one is perfect or righteous, we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Alysonsdad

Oct 21, 2010
Maine
✟137.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for the topic...it could not have been posted at a better time.

My girlfriend and I, both of us having been divorced, were trying so hard to make it to remarriage without having sex, but two nights ago we just could no longer resist temptation. It is not casual sex to say the least, and we are committed to each other, but it was still a disappointment to not make it to marriage this summer without having sex.

Everything about it was great, and the actual act was better then I could have dreamed up, but there is a deep guilt within me. Typically that is something of the devil, but I am pretty ashamed that I could not resist temptation any longer. I had such high hopes for myself. :-(

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
" I want to be made love to... which is an expression of someone's love for me, but is not the cornerstone of our oneness. yes making love and enjoying sex is important.. but i want it to be an expression of love for me, not the bread of the love for me.. does that make sense? "

You lost me just a little here. Sometimes I believe in marriage sex can be all about passion and want. Desire does not have to be pitted against being an "expression of love" ie it's more all encompassing.

And I think I see you with the sex not as the cornerstone BUT it's amazing what havoc arises when you take that little stone out of a marriage. Quit having sex and the house tends to fall. If someone does not like sex they have NO business getting married.

I am 3 years out from a divorce and on top of all the hurt I deal with the sexual loneliness that goes with it. I've struggled, even turned down "friends with benefits" but I confess I have failed twice. Funny you mentioned "bread" in your OP. I find such a sense of nourichment in sex that it lasts glowingly for several days; it's hard for me to turn down. YET both times I felt grimy immediately after. Both women I don't think were saved and I would think of how Paul would say not to become one with an unbeliever(since we have the Holy Spirit) in us. I'm so much better off to love a Christian gal,make her my wife, then enjoy our oneness.

Upvote 0

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hello,

i want to point out that all my responders have been males. Sorry if i'm leaving out a female. But just goes to show that this is a touchy subject for the men.

And I can relate.. one of the areas i suffered in towards the end of my marriage was the lack of interest in sex on my husband's part. That sucks. And I love sex.

But I am coming out of a relationship with a boyfriend who also liked sex but didn't know how to stop having sex.. with any woman.. while being with me in a "commited" relationship, in essance he didn't know how to commit to me and found it very hard to abstain from lust and sex with many other women..

And being single for almost a year now I have a few encounters with casual sex. At first I liked it because I had been so sexually deprived in my marriage for some time, and yeah sex feels good. But I found myself feeling unsatisfied with it.. because I have realized that I want a relationship, not just casual sex... also

1. I have felt used and rejected when having a sexual encounter with someone who you don't really ever hear from unless they want casual sex, and I'm just wanting a friend.

I also find that my desire to have that love connection makes me vulnerable to cling to any man I might get emotionally attached to... and marriage is for keeps, at least it should be. There is a spiritual connection that takes place when you have sex wtih someone and having sex causes premature connection... and i'll admit that the guys i've had sex with are just really not the person i want to spend the rest of my life with. Marriage and sex is a serious and powerful thing but we abuse it like a glutton abuses food.. and lose the ability to be sensitive to the pure beauty of it. Sex was meant to connect us... and that emotional attachment we get... is well natural and god tells us to honor marriage and calls it sacred. So why mess around with someone i can honestly say i'm not a soul mate with, and have learned that i don't want to settle with someone in marriage because i'm coming out of an unhappy marriage.

Now I like sex and i hope and pray that i will be blessed with a lot of it when i get married again. But I have the desire to do it right. Not that i'm perfect and not that i don't need the lord to help me avoid the temptation.

There are toys out there, and other ways to make that connection without having sex. And you know what men? It is very disrespectful to that woman that you have casual sex with wiithout intent of ever marrying them. Yeah they might say its ok and that they want it to, but it's not. Plain and simple. Love your fellow sisters the best you can.

I hope and pray that God will keep me safe from temptation and will help me stay pure because without him i/we are weak, untl that day comes that i meet the true man that i want to marry and make the holy connection with.. giving myself to him in body, mind and spirit until death.. hopefully. That is the way it's meant to be. No one is perfect, but we can strive for it.

I just want to be loved for being me. And the right person will come along and love me and meet my needs that the lord has given me. And right now i'm also learning how to love myself. You just don't know guys/gals how it really hurts a person's soul/spirit to have premarital sex. Myself includied. Let's pray that we can all have the strength to abstain during this time of singleness. Amen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alysonsdad

Oct 21, 2010
Maine
✟137.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
For me, it is not the sex that I miss the most; I have been in a pitiful marriage for 5 years that was sexless so I got used to going without that for months upon months. What I actually miss is having someone in the bed beside me, someone to pray with, someone to do daily devotions with, someone to accompany me to church functions and the like...in a word...companionship.

After years of being married, yet living completely isolated, I found a woman that is right with God, goes to church, raises children to a solid upbringing and helps around the farm. Now we do not live together, and in fact live 174 miles apart, and because of that have put everything else in proper order first. The second to the last thing we did is have sex, and even then it was only once in a moment of weakness. So yes commitment is there...

Now here is where the waters get muddied. The only reason we are not married now is due to circumstances of modern society...her kids being in school, custody arrangements having not been changed, work schedules that are seasonal...the point I am trying to make is, society has gotten extremely complex and there is a vast difference between marriage and wedding traditions. I am quite certain in biblical times people did not have the dating scene, the engagement, the church ceremony, the reception and the honeymoon...all those things are tradition not actual marriage. Yet people expect all those things.

So what is marriage: publicly professed vows between one man, and one woman, before God and loved ones. Okay one big check on that!

The thing I find however is that people who are not in the situation many of us are in, forget the human element and judge. I often find this from married folks who are walking a very thin line, because the only way for them to have empathy for what many of us have endured, is to lose their spouse. Only then will they know what it is like to wake up to an empty bed, rear children on your own as a single parent, or face financial hardship with the loss of someones joint income. For those people that judge us, watch out because you may just find out what our lives are like and it is not a lot of fun!

But I am not defending promiscuous sex here, in fact I am advocating quite the opposite. My situation is different, we are a long distant relationship and we have some serious hurdles that only God can move in order for us to enjoy true wedlock. I am deeply disappointed in myself because I had such high hopes of making it to the wedding night without having been with her, but temptation was just too great. So yes, we lost a round at temptation, but we are deeply committed to each other, and through God's grace, will move on and prosper in a relationship that he has brought together.

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just a few comments:

1 Have you noticed how hyped up our culture is on sex YET there are such high numbers of sexless couple (or nearly sexless) out there? Sex is everywhere but where it should be...baffling!

2 Hisbloodformysins It is SO refreshing to hear a woman talk about her struggles to avoid sex and I agree with all of your last post. God has put us together such that the heart and the body have to be choreographed together. I don't think the "friends with benefits" works" and the people it works for are rather shallow ie not someone we want anyways. Hope you find your prince soon!

3 Alysonsdad I hear your heart and frustration. I even identify with the legal tangles society brings. I'm self employed with a pre-existing health condition where no one will take me. I've been riding on my ex's Cobra but will expire in 8 months. The exwife and I have considered remarrying civilly to address this and some other financial issues for both our benefits. We are on good terms so could agree to marry and date others. Isn't this all crazy. The crux of it all though is if sex was not the plague to her we would have it ALL together but that's for another day. Good luck getting it ALL together.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
For me, it is not the sex that I miss the most; I have been in a pitiful marriage for 5 years that was sexless so I got used to going without that for months upon months. What I actually miss is having someone in the bed beside me, someone to pray with, someone to do daily devotions with, someone to accompany me to church functions and the like...in a word...companionship.

After years of being married, yet living completely isolated, I found a woman that is right with God, goes to church, raises children to a solid upbringing and helps around the farm. Now we do not live together, and in fact live 174 miles apart, and because of that have put everything else in proper order first. The second to the last thing we did is have sex, and even then it was only once in a moment of weakness. So yes commitment is there...

Now here is where the waters get muddied. The only reason we are not married now is due to circumstances of modern society...her kids being in school, custody arrangements having not been changed, work schedules that are seasonal...the point I am trying to make is, society has gotten extremely complex and there is a vast difference between marriage and wedding traditions. I am quite certain in biblical times people did not have the dating scene, the engagement, the church ceremony, the reception and the honeymoon...all those things are tradition not actual marriage. Yet people expect all those things.

So what is marriage: publicly professed vows between one man, and one woman, before God and loved ones. Okay one big check on that!

The thing I find however is that people who are not in the situation many of us are in, forget the human element and judge. I often find this from married folks who are walking a very thin line, because the only way for them to have empathy for what many of us have endured, is to lose their spouse. Only then will they know what it is like to wake up to an empty bed, rear children on your own as a single parent, or face financial hardship with the loss of someones joint income. For those people that judge us, watch out because you may just find out what our lives are like and it is not a lot of fun!

But I am not defending promiscuous sex here, in fact I am advocating quite the opposite. My situation is different, we are a long distant relationship and we have some serious hurdles that only God can move in order for us to enjoy true wedlock. I am deeply disappointed in myself because I had such high hopes of making it to the wedding night without having been with her, but temptation was just too great. So yes, we lost a round at temptation, but we are deeply committed to each other, and through God's grace, will move on and prosper in a relationship that he has brought together.

I think that the important thing is that you are commited. You won't find a judge in me. I understad what you are saying. It's interesting how humbling a situation like this can be in that we let go of a lot of man made laws that we once dubbed as god's rules. God's law is in our hearts.. not in the law, though the law has it's place with God. I hear what you are saying and I support you in it. :hug:

Upvote 0