Sincere Ques-Which Denomination to Follow ?

Nov 20, 2022
USA
✟15,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are many types of Christian denominations so how do we know which one to follow? I personally have been to many types of churches of varied denominations & I’ve felt at home with all of them for different reasons. Lately, I’ve just been following the Bible and not attending a church.

Brother-Mike

Predetermined to freely believe
Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Does your culture or background point you in a particular direction?
How about any particular resonance you might have felt when attending different churches?
If completely neutral to either of these, I would recommend a church that at least considers the Bible the final authority of truth.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟173,391.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Following the Bible is certainly the best approach :) You'll most likely never find the "perfect" church (if that even exists), and studying the Bible a lot helps you realize if/when a pastor is mistaken about a topic.
I personally haven't found it useful to leave a church every time a minor issue was treated unbiblically. Rather, I would take in the good and overlook the bad. And whenever I would be unsure whether the pastor was right, looking into the Bible myself until I got the answer, trusting the Holy Spirit to lead you in that, seemed to be a good way to solve the issue.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are many types of Christian denominations so how do we know which one to follow? I personally have been to many types of churches of varied denominations & I’ve felt at home with all of them for different reasons. Lately, I’ve just been following the Bible and not attending a church.
Denominations mostly fail but Jesus Christ of Nazareth is there to pick up those who truly want to know him. Blessings.

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2022
USA
✟15,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To all the responses so far, I understand what you’re saying and I truly appreciate the answers. Not to offend anybody because I find truth in a lot of the denominations like I’ve said, but I’m afraid to commit in fear of making a wrong move, this is why I don’t attend church anymore, I will simply follow the Bible.

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2022
USA
✟15,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does your culture or background point you in a particular direction?
How about any particular resonance you might have felt when attending different churches?
If completely neutral to either of these, I would recommend a church that at least considers the Bible the final authority of truth.
I was raised Roman Catholic. Loved it. Everything. About. It.

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2022
USA
✟15,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then why not. Become. A. Catholic? :wink:
It may be simple sounding to others, but for me, it’s not something I can do. I just can’t go back to my roots. There’s some things holding me back from that I can’t post on a public forum. I was obviously baptized Catholic as a baby, and was re-baptized as an adult in a different Christian denomination because that’s what I was told to do. I was also told that all other denominations were wrong except for the IFB. All of this confused me even more. I just don’t have the mental capacity to deal with it but I still wonder about this issue & if I’m doing the right thing or if I’m doing the wrong thing. I’ve prayed about it. I’ve tried listening to God & it seems that I keep getting led to all the different denominations & I can’t seem to figure out what I’m supposed to really do.

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟65,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I don't know every belief about every denomination, but I know on some of them, they have at least one belief that goes against the Bible.

I grew up in a Baptist church and had identified myself as a Baptist after I was saved. Not too long ago, I decided to consider myself non-denominational because my goal was to have beliefs that are Bible-centered.

You could consider yourself non-denominational for the same reason I call myself that. I would worry more about what one individual church believes and teaches. Do the research. Does that church have a website where you can read their faith statement?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

I have stopped going to church as i am single and in my 50's and i see church really for married people and usually with children. Plus most churches teach and believe in a works/obedience type of salvation.

If did go back to a church i would seek out a free grace church, an example of free grace can be seen at this website faithalone.org But there is not one in my driving area within a 30 mile range.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Nov 20, 2022
USA
✟15,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have stopped going to church as i am single and in my 50's and i see church really for married people and usually with children. Plus most churches teach and believe in a works/obedience type of salvation.

If did go back to a church i would seek out a free grace church, an example of free grace can be seen at this website faithalone.org But there is not one in my driving area within a 30 mile range.
I will check out that link. Thank you. I don’t really feel motivated to be with people anymore. But I have my reasons for that.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Just jumping in here but I think it depends on what you feel comfortable believing. I am a Roman Catholic. I picked that church because it is one of the oldest Churches. So I feel comfortable that they follow sound doctrine. There are older CHurches like Orthodoxy, however, with the Orthodox Church, I ran into many differences based on ethnicity. Like there is a Russian Orthodox Church, Greek, and Ethiopian, and all of the countries of the eastern block each have their own churches. I chose the Roman Church because it is one church that covers the whole world., So I can go to Mass in any town at any time ans hear the same Mass read anywhere in the world.

That's a personal decision and you would need to study the doctrine of any church you are considering. What do they say about salvation, the trinity, faith, and obedience? Once you have determined what that church offers give it a try. If it doesn't feel right, don't stay. I'm sure there is somewhere that you will feel comfortable. Just be careful because some churches teach some weird things.

Unless you feel called to it, I would stay away from Calvinism. They don't seem to believe in free will and that is a fundamental part of the doctrine I follow. So it can be tough going through these questions but we are so blessed these days to have the internet so you can study the different denominations all day.

• Wow
Reactions: Brother-Mike
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟212,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It may be simple sounding to others, but for me, it’s not something I can do. I just can’t go back to my roots. There’s some things holding me back from that I can’t post on a public forum. I was obviously baptized Catholic as a baby, and was re-baptized as an adult in a different Christian denomination because that’s what I was told to do. I was also told that all other denominations were wrong except for the IFB. All of this confused me even more. I just don’t have the mental capacity to deal with it but I still wonder about this issue & if I’m doing the right thing or if I’m doing the wrong thing. I’ve prayed about it. I’ve tried listening to God & it seems that I keep getting led to all the different denominations & I can’t seem to figure out what I’m supposed to really do.
You can't be more aligned with the Bible than with the Catholic Church. The mass and the Holy Eucharist are what has been passed down through the Apostles to us now for almost two thousand years. Many things which may seem to be an impediment to returning to the Catholic Church are in fact from a misunderstanding of Catholic teaching, so it is is worth it to make an appointment with a priest to get the facts straight.

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2022
USA
✟15,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with what’s been said in these responses. I find that I’ve been doing many of these things over the past few years but I’m still torn & even more confused with what I’m supposed to do because I can’t seem to get a clear answer from God even though I’m listening.

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2022
USA
✟15,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can't be more aligned with the Bible than with the Catholic Church. The mass and the Holy Eucharist are what has been passed down through the Apostles to us now for almost two thousand years. Many things which may seem to be an impediment to returning to the Catholic Church are in fact from a misunderstanding of Catholic teaching, so it is is worth it to make an appointment with a priest to get the facts straight.
I can’t do that. But I appreciate your comment. It’s what I was taught. However, I was told that this is wrong & now I don’t know whats right & whats wrong EXCEPT FOR THE BIBLE which is always right.

• Winner
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You should find a church that regularly preaches the gospel.

There are many churches that look nice and talk about nice things, but if it doesn't have the core of the Christian faith, those churches are dead and are really seeking your harm. Familiarize yourself with what the gospel is.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I just realized I can’t say what I intended to say in this forum. Sorry.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟398,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
If you focus on following Jesus and what He taught then you are His disciple, and He will be at whatever church you choose to attend. This is a question with no specific right answer. I choose non-denominational but have gone to pentecostal have gone to many different churches that for some reason auto correct won't tell me how to type but the main theme is Jesus is at all of His churches. i choose to be non-denominational because i feel when people meet me and find out I'm a christian that's the first question i am asked and i don't like being put in little judgement boxes by people. I follow Jesus and what He says in the Bible and that's the best anyone can do.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
What is great about these days and times is that we have a way to communicate online. Many churches broadcast on YouTube, there are online Bible study programs, and places like Christian FOrums here for fellowship. What is also a good tool on the internet is Google. You can search for information about the different denominations and see what you agree with and what you don't. Also, you don't have to oin a particular church. You can go to a different church every week if you so desire until you find a place you feel comfortable.

I think your intention is the most important thing. If you intend to see God you will find him (i.e. seek and ye shall find). So whether it's just from a Bible or church fellowship, if you seek him earnestly, he will find you. I converted to Roman Catholicism mostly because of how easily they made communion available. That's what was important to me in a Church. A good way to look at it is, what do you want/need from your church? They try to find a place that has it.

Just my two cents. This can be a difficult transition but like you said you were doing, sticking with the Bible, you can go wrong there.

Upvote 0

Sharon Hayes

BigRoost
Jun 13, 2015
✟9,239.00
Faith
Christian
The way to confuse God's word is to create a multitude of denominations with a bunch of rules, regulations and restrictions about all the things you can't do that are not Biblical. That is why church research is necessary. Ask people you encounter about their church. If they say it's a God-centered, Bible ministry, with emphases on New Testament teaching, pay the church a visit, and continue to visit churches with these criteria until you find one you like.

• Winner
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0