Since you mis-interpret internet posts, how much more the bible?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
When internet posts are mis-interpreted so easily, how can we be sure of a correct interpretation of bible passages now that the writer of said passages cannot be questioned in person?

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can't.
For that matter, you probably shouldn't.

Go and read it for yourself and read it in several different translations to see if the translation matters. Then compare it to other verses. Finally, pray for wisdom.

If you just swallow whatever you hear, you will change course a lot.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We interpret according to our understanding of the moment, be it self discovered or more often the result of input of ideas of others. This second matter was what prompted Jesus to speak of the blind leading the blind.

What Jesus said was we needed a solid foundation to work out from. Most have latched on down the road where others have already contaminated truth. Ask Elon Musk how to be so successful. He didn't carry on from where others left off but went back to the very beginning and started anew. This is what Jesus said would be the foundation of His church, that only truth comes from the Father and not from man. His truth is in scripture. Start there with what God, not man has spoken.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Michael - In my life, it seems the best way to live with Jesus Christ in your life is without an agenda. If you are just upfront and honest, about whatever is. You shouldn't have any reason to hide anything, especially -- when you have the light of God in you.

When it comes to being here on earth, people are going to judge others, fight, bicker, and have their own way.

Even babes in Christ Jesus do the same thing. (I use to be that guy who would fight, bicker, and desire to have it my way.) (It is hard to place Christ Jesus at the center of your life but once you do it and practice doing it, our self will becomes less and less.)

However when you grow up from a child, into a mature Son or Daughter in God. You realize there is no reason to fight anymore, and you start expressing Agape love towards other people regardless of doctrines, or even if they choose not to believe in God.

God through you if you are submitting to his will, will allow you to be kind, gentle, humble, amongst unbelievers, no matter who they are or where they have come from.

This has been my experience at least, and thank you for listening - Michael.

Not sure if it has anything to do with the topic but thank you for posting it none the less. God bless you and your family friend, take care!

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Michael - In my life, it seems the best way to live with Jesus Christ in your life is without an agenda. If you are just upfront and honest, about whatever is. You shouldn't have any reason to hide anything, especially -- when you have the light of God in you.

When it comes to being here on earth, people are going to judge others, fight, bicker, and have their own way.

Even babes in Christ Jesus do the same thing. (I use to be that guy who would fight, bicker, and desire to have it my way.) (It is hard to place Christ Jesus at the center of your life but once you do it and practice doing it, our self will becomes less and less.)

However when you grow up from a child, into a mature Son or Daughter in God. You realize there is no reason to fight anymore, and you start expressing Agape love towards other people regardless of doctrines, or even if they choose not to believe in God.

God through you if you are submitting to his will, will allow you to be kind, gentle, humble, amongst unbelievers, no matter who they are or where they have come from.

This has been my experience at least, and thank you for listening - Michael.

Not sure if it has anything to do with the topic but thank you for posting it none the less. God bless you and your family friend, take care!
I am reminded of Psalms 18:26. "To the pure you show yourself pure, but to the crooked you show yourself shrewd"

God bless you as well.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Michael thank you for sharing that with me, you know have read that verse years ago, and just now looked up what froward means.

This is very true, with you sharing this it reminds me of Jesus Christ, he was very difficult to deal with especially even with people seeing the miracles he had done. When he spoke in John 6, after Jesus Christ had mentioned that he was the bread of life (our spiritual nourishment), John 6:60, and onward many people left him.

Just so it is made known now and here. Suffering for Christ Jesus is a real thing. It mentions a lot about suffering in the text, and if you place Christ Jesus in the center of your life, and you are desiring to be accepted by others, the truth is not everyone is really gonna desire anything to do with you.

Just be cautious, do not give up on God because of this, love the people around you while you have the chance to do so. You do not have to people please, just be kind, gentle, humble, and loving and pray for your enemies.

Something that has been hard to me to deal with but have accepted is : Just because someone desires you do something for them and they are able to do it themselves and they wanna test you and see what you will do for them - be careful of falling into manipulation, and on trying to please them to like you.

Let your yes be yes, and your no be no.

( I have stopped using the like buttons )

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
( I have stopped using the like buttons )

Thanks for that.

To be honest, my rating buttons don't work in most subforums, I posted a support thread but the admins couldn't fix it.

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When internet posts are mis-interpreted so easily, how can we be sure of a correct interpretation of bible passages now that the writer of said passages cannot be questioned in person?

The Holy Spirit helps us correctly interpret the Bible. You can talk to Him and ask Him these things.

downloadfile-19.jpg

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
TOTALLY AGREE

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
#wisdom

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But everyone does that, and we still have a lot of opinions on how to interpret the bible.

Yeh, takes a lot of discernment. But we don't have to be omniscient to have a relationship with God or study His word, thankfully. We don't have to have all the answers. Our ways are not God's ways. But the Holy Spirit does help guide us into all Truth. There are just a lot of voices that get in the way. Same way with the internet. There is truth on it, but there are also things that are false too. We have to listen for the Truth.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yeh, takes a lot of discernment. But we don't have to be omniscient to have a relationship with God or study His word, thankfully. We don't have to have all the answers. Our ways are not God's ways. But the Holy Spirit does help guide us into all Truth. There are just a lot of voices that get in the way. Same way with the internet. There is truth on it, but there are also things that are false too. We have to listen for the Truth.
The first part of your post illustrates the point in the OP.

Relationship is more related to trust and love.

being correct is more the realm of God (Romans 3:4)

In terms of the second part, truth comes in many parts in the scripture.

The spoken words of God are truth, the truth sets us free, Jesus said I Am the Truth - thus something we embody.

The question in the OP is related to the tendency of orthodoxy in every tradition, because orthodox means "the right way" - however if there are fingers pointing in every direction saying "this is the right way, and every other way is wrong" might as well sit and pray and listen to none of them.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟214,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Become involved in Bible studies. Go to church. Listen to sermons & other videos online. Read books on it. Learn as much as you can. Don't hear someone's interpretation & take that as truth, but seek many interpretations. Yearn for learning.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Become involved in Bible studies. Go to church. Listen to sermons & other videos online. Read books on it. Learn as much as you can. Don't hear someone's interpretation & take that as truth, but seek many interpretations. Yearn for learning.
(thank you, good post)

The real question of the thread, why the third degree when no one can be right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But everyone does that, and we still have a lot of opinions on how to interpret the bible.
The concept of the purpose of the HS has been abused. Jesus sent it to help keep on the path those promoting His Gospel of the Kingdom. Many have fallen along the wayside as the parable of the sower told, or never knew the original message, simply because they still put the world of man which we have made in our own image, ahead of the will and Kingdom of God.

They make claims and use the HS to back them up in the way they use God to justify their actions instead of changing to follow His will. In both cases it is self justification by redefining good and evil to suit their causes. The HS would never stray from the purpose given it, to keep on the path those who promoted the Kingdom of God over the kingdoms/governance of man.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The concept of the purpose of the HS has been abused. Jesus sent it to help keep on the path those promoting His Gospel of the Kingdom. Many have fallen along the wayside as the parable of the sower told, or never knew the original message, simply because they still put the world of man which we have made in our own image, ahead of the will and Kingdom of God.

They make claims and use the HS to back them up in the way they use God to justify their actions instead of changing to follow His will. In both cases it is self justification by redefining good and evil to suit their causes. The HS would never stray from the purpose given it, to keep on the path those who promoted the Kingdom of God over the kingdoms/governance of man.
Regrettably, I lost my special glasses that make those speaking the truth glow a Verily Green. Maybe you could loan me yours?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Best way to interpret God's Word:

#1. Ask God for the understanding of His Word, i.e. "Give us this day our daily bread" (Sometimes this is a repeat process).

#2. Context (Looking at the surrounding words, chapters).

#3. Read the most plainest meaning of the words in a text first in the English, unless the context and or other cross references indicate a meaning otherwise. Looking at the original language should be a last option and not as a way to read or interpret the Bible. The English should not conflict with the original languages. But some think otherwise. They think they know a dead language or that scholars are right, when this is not the case.

#4. Cross references (By 2-3 witnesses God's Word is confirmed) (But this is not always the case) (For example: Folks can point out the prosperity gospel with Scripture or Eternal Security with several verses, but this does not mean that such beliefs are true).

#5. Interpretation must be in line with basic morality (It disturbs me greatly when folks have an interpretation that ignores basic morality, like "Eternal Conscious Torment," or "Future Sin is Forgiven Us", or "Unconditional Election," etc.).

#6. Keyword search studies (This is doing a search on how a particular word appears in the Bible and how it is used elsewhere as a way to determine other difficult passages or verses that are commonly taken out of context by others; I use BlueLetterBible, and PureKingJames software when I look up words to study sometimes).

#7. Topical studies.

#8. Looking at what other believers have to say (I am not talking about the popular Bible commentators; I usually read a ton of articles on a particular verse or passage from Sola Scriptura Trinitarian believers by scouring the internet and in praying to find the right answer).

#9. One needs a nailed down final word of authority or one Bible that is the pure Word of God (Note: I believe this to be the circa. 1900 Cambridge King James). The KJV lines up with the original languages (i.e. the Textus Receptus).

#10. Use Modern Translations to help update the 1600's English from the KJV, but do make Modern Translations your final Word of authority because they make changes in God's Word that are clearly in error.

#11. One needs to be born again by the Spirit and born by water (i.e. being born by water = being born by the Scriptures in the fact that we received the Word of God not as the words of men, but in fact as the very divine words of God Himself; Meaning, His Word is perfect and without error, and we have been broken and transformed by them with a godly sorrow in accepting Christ as our Savior and in believing in Christ's death and resurrection on our behalf).

#12. We need to agree with true godly living as the Bible describes it, and we need to be walking the talk; 1 Timothy 6:3-4 says that if any man does not agree with the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine according to godliness, he is proud and he knows nothing. 1 John 2:3 says we can have an assurance in knowing the Lord if we find that we are keeping His commandments. The closer our walk in knowing the Lord, the closer we will be in our understanding of God's Word. For if we are not loving according to God's Word, we cannot have the depth of understanding of the deep things or treasures within God's Word.

Side Note:

As for us sometimes misinterpreting people:

Well, people can sometimes believe in contradictory things, and or they may speak contradictory things. Sometimes people are intentionally evasive with their words, and other times people are just poor communicators. Also, people may believe in using the same theological terms you use, but they simply have a different interpretation or view on that theological term. For example: I may talk about the “elect” in the Bible, but a Calvinist would take that to mean something other than how the Bible describes the “elect.” I may talk about the theological term called “Justification,” but most other Christians see that as a payment for all of our future sins (When this is not the case according to the Bible). I may talk about the theological term called, “Sanctification,” but most Christians see this as progressively living more holy but they will always commit some kind of “mortal sin” (or grievous sin) in this life until the day they die. In other words, they don't believe 2 Corinthians 7:1, and Galatians 5:24. They don't like those verses because it does not fit in with their life or lifestyle. So they either change these verses to say something else, or they simply ignore them.

Side Note 2: This is not to say I am perfect, and I have not misunderstood people on occasion, but usually a good person explains themselves properly in order to help the other person understand where they are coming from. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Many just make things more confusing in their attempt to explain things, and they make it worse for themselves. I never had a problem with my wife explaining things to me when I misunderstood her. Anyways, so if I misunderstand people on occasion, how can I properly interpret God's Word? Well, like I said before, I have a system of interpreting God's Word that helps with that. A check system to prevent from misinterpretation. The greatest of these is GOD. God has many times talked to me about a belief that was not exactly right, and He helped me to see things more clearly on that topic. Just like when you talk with a person and they can correct you on a misunderstanding, GOD can correct our misunderstanding, as well. Sure, people can say that GOD has shown them the truth, too; But they usually will miss one of the points in my check list in order to properly understand God's Word.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Regrettably, I lost my special glasses that make those speaking the truth glow a Verily Green. Maybe you could loan me yours?
Green? Mine made them blue. Did I have the wrong ones? Oh, my!

Upvote 0