JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There is a passage in the Bible, that ever sense I first read it, I have considered it to be a VERY important passage in terms of WHY people get sick. It can be found in 1 Corinthians 11:23-34

30 For this reason MANY are weak and sick among you, and MANY sleep.

The reason this scripture caught my attention is the word MANY. If Paul had said: There are a few among you who are weak and sick and sleep. Then I really would not have paid much attention. But when he uses the word MANY, that causes me to think this is a important passage that is worthy of study. How much study? However much study it takes to figure out what Paul is telling us.

So, what about this Greek word: Many (Polus Strongs:4183) This is a word that Jesus uses twice in the seventh chapter of the book of Matthew. Again, it is not a comforting word.

13 "Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are MANY who go in by it. 14 Because F32 narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are FEW who find it.

Here the word MANY (Polus) is used in direct contrast to the word FEW. Clearly we are told that many here refers to more than half the people. It refers to the majority of people and not the minority.

Over the last 20 years, I have talked to quite a few pastors about this passage. (For this reason MANY are weak and sick among you, and MANY sleep.) I have run into pastors that do not think about this passage very much, some who preach on it very seldom.

When I run into someone who is able to explain the passage to me, the explaination is always the same. I have never run into more than just one explaination for the meaning of this passage. In the most simple of terms, this passage means that we are to be delivered from Sin. We are to live right before God. To say that we are only delivered from the consequences of sin, so that we can go right on being sinners is outright false teaching.

Again, the message of calvery is that we can be set free from sin. We can live holy, sanctified, consecrated, and righteous before God. Those who do not live right before God, can expect that there is a price to pay. They do not discern that Jesus came to set us free from all bondage. They do not want to accept that we can live right before God.

[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "Take, eat; F33 this is My body which is broken F34 for you; do this in remembrance of Me." [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me." [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death till He comes. [/font]

[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood F35 of the Lord. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner F36 eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord's F37 body. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world. [/font]

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
LibertyChic said:
Why is this thread in the Creation and Science forum? :scratch:
This is a direct response to some questions I was asked in another thread. It does not answer all of the questions, but it is a start. It has to do with why I have a problem with doctors. The answer being, because they do not know or understand the true problem or cause of sickness and disease.

Of course this is only a beginning, a start. There is a lot more to it than this.

Truth sets people free. When you preach and teach the truth, you can expect to see miracles, signs, wonders, healing and deliverance.

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
One of my players declared one day that her family was going to follow Christian Science; they decided to forego modern medical treatments. She is asthmatic and usually carries her inhaler around, but her family's "advisor" instructed her to begin taking extract of squirrel poo or something in lieu of the asthma medicine. One afternoon sometime later at softball practice, she begins having a minor attack. She starts to panic and pray and the minor attack begins to turn severe. Luckily, one of her teammates had an inhaler handy, which fought off the attack. Next day, my player made sure to bring her inhaler to practice.

Upvote 0

Mike Flynn

Sep 19, 2003
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
JohnR7 said:
It has to do with why I have a problem with doctors. The answer being, because they do not know or understand the true problem or cause of sickness and disease.

Of course this is only a beginning, a start. There is a lot more to it than this.
Read CS Lewis John..."Mere Christianity" followed by "The Problem of Pain".

Try not to confuse biological life with real (Biblical) life. I recall a fellow Christian telling a friend on their deathbed that they would not be there had they straightened out the sin in their life. If that is not bad theology, then I'm not sure what is.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Philosoft said:
One of my players declared one day that her family was going to follow Christian Science;
That is not a issue here and this has been resolved in the court system. There is no reason for you to be making the water muddy here. No one is saying that people should not go to doctors or seek medical treatment. That is not the issue. It is sad that you do not understand the most simple and basic of christian teaching. I am amazed that I run into doctors and Phd's that do not even have a third grade level of understanding of the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

toff

Dec 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
✟9,038.00
Faith
Atheist
JohnR7 said:
I am answering the questions that people ask me. Is there an ignore button around here, because if there is, I am going to push it for you.
No, you are not. You consistently AVOID and EVADE questions that people ask you. What you are doing is preaching.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Jet Black said:
so which diseases does sin cause, and which does it not cause then?
That would be part two, and we would need to go back into the teaching of Moses. But one thing that would be covered by Moses, is any disease that could be found in Egypt at that time.

Ex 15:26 - Show Context and said, "If you diligently heed the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the Lord who heals you." My sister told me about a book written by a medical doctor called something like: "none of these diseases". He talks about Moses and a Bible approach to staying healthy.

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
JohnR7 said:
That is not a issue here and this has been resolved in the court system. There is no reason for you to be making the water muddy here.
I can't possibly muddy the water any more than you have already.
No one is saying that people should not go to doctors or seek medical treatment. That is not the issue. It is sad that you do not understand the most simple and basic of christian teaching.
Who said I don't understand?
I am amazed that I run into doctors and Phd's that do not even have a third grade level of understanding of the Bible.
I had no idea there are so many third graders who have read the Bible and are capable of exegesis intended to ridicule.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mike Flynn

Sep 19, 2003
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
JohnR7 said:
I have no interest in cs lewis. I just read my Bible, talk to pastors and pray for the Holy Spirit of God to help me to understand.
And why not include us other folk (and people like CS Lewis) who do the very same thing? Isn't that how the Body of Christ works John?

Upvote 0

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
JohnR7 said:
There is a passage in the Bible, that ever sense I first read it, I have considered it to be a VERY important passage in terms of WHY people get sick. It can be found in 1 Corinthians 11:23-34

30 For this reason MANY are weak and sick among you, and MANY sleep.

The reason this scripture caught my attention is the word MANY. If Paul had said: There are a few among you who are weak and sick and sleep. Then I really would not have paid much attention. But when he uses the word MANY, that causes me to think this is a important passage that is worthy of study. How much study? However much study it takes to figure out what Paul is telling us.

So, what about this Greek word: Many (Polus Strongs:4183) This is a word that Jesus uses twice in the seventh chapter of the book of Matthew. Again, it is not a comforting word.

13 "Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are MANY who go in by it. 14 Because F32 narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are FEW who find it.

Here the word MANY (Polus) is used in direct contrast to the word FEW. Clearly we are told that many here refers to more than half the people. It refers to the majority of people and not the minority.

Over the last 20 years, I have talked to quite a few pastors about this passage. (For this reason MANY are weak and sick among you, and MANY sleep.) I have run into pastors that do not think about this passage very much, some who preach on it very seldom.

When I run into someone who is able to explain the passage to me, the explaination is always the same. I have never run into more than just one explaination for the meaning of this passage. In the most simple of terms, this passage means that we are to be delivered from Sin. We are to live right before God. To say that we are only delivered from the consequences of sin, so that we can go right on being sinners is outright false teaching.

Again, the message of calvery is that we can be set free from sin. We can live holy, sanctified, consecrated, and righteous before God. Those who do not live right before God, can expect that there is a price to pay. They do not discern that Jesus came to set us free from all bondage. They do not want to accept that we can live right before God.

[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "Take, eat; F33 this is My body which is broken F34 for you; do this in remembrance of Me." [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me." [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death till He comes. [/font]

[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood F35 of the Lord. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner F36 eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord's F37 body. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world. [/font]

stupidhead.jpg

Upvote 0