Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Enjoying communion with your local church is truly a blessed time. It is not only a sober and convicting remembrance of our Lord’s death, burial, and resurrection, but it is also a joyous celebration concerning our salvation and His return (1 Cor. 11:26). This means of grace is truly an essential ordinance to our worship and to our sanctification.

But as the preacher recites 1 Cor. 11:28-29 concerning self-examination and discerning the Lord’s body, I usually hear something that advises us to let the elements “pass by” if we are in blatant sin. Or a warning on drinking the body and blood of Christ “unworthily” because of some besetting sin(s).

But why? Where does Scripture command us to refuse participation in communion when we are aware of besetting sin(s) in our life? Why do some teach that we should let the elements “pass by” if this is the case? Is this a tradition that we have accepted without proper study? If we are to benefit from this spiritual command from our LORD we need to seriously consider four things before ever deciding to take a “pass” on communion.

to read the full article, click here.

bread-wine.jpg

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is for some communions. If the pastor invokes a curse before the communion, even if it is open communion, steer clear.

I've never heard of a minister invoking a curse during the Lord's Supper, is this normal in your church body?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I've never heard of a minister invoking a curse during the Lord's Supper, is this normal in your church body?
Don't currently have one, I pray to God the instance I referred to was unique.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Enjoying communion with your local church is truly a blessed time. It is not only a sober and convicting remembrance of our Lord’s death, burial, and resurrection, but it is also a joyous celebration concerning our salvation and His return (1 Cor. 11:26). This means of grace is truly an essential ordinance to our worship and to our sanctification.

But as the preacher recites 1 Cor. 11:28-29 concerning self-examination and discerning the Lord’s body, I usually hear something that advises us to let the elements “pass by” if we are in blatant sin. Or a warning on drinking the body and blood of Christ “unworthily” because of some besetting sin(s).

But why? Where does Scripture command us to refuse participation in communion when we are aware of besetting sin(s) in our life? Why do some teach that we should let the elements “pass by” if this is the case? Is this a tradition that we have accepted without proper study? If we are to benefit from this spiritual command from our LORD we need to seriously consider four things before ever deciding to take a “pass” on communion.

View attachment 313341
I think this involves our body being the temple of God, if a person believes in the real presents of God in the Eucharist then taking Him into a corrupt temple would not be right.

• Agree
Reactions: GreekOrthodox
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Clint is right on this. There are times where I have not been ... ehhhh "truly" ... repentant of a particular sin. In that case, I will pass on Communion. Once I have had time and even Confession, I can more fully realize the implications of that sin. It's kind of a "It's me Lord, not you". Christ says Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first. be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. Not approaching Communion is the same thing.

One of the prayers before Communion of St. John of Damascus:

... and make me worthy to receive without condemnation thy divine, glorious, immaculate and life-giving Mysteries; not unto punishment or unto increase of sin; but unto purification, and sanctification and a promise of thy Kingdom and the Life to come; as a protection and a help to overthrow the adversaries, and to blot out my many sins.

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If being sinless is a requirement for participation. Then we all fall short [Rom 3:23].

Old Testament
Ex 12:43-48. No foreigners, servants, sojourners or strangers could partake in the in the Passover meal unless they were circumcised. (Also see Gen 17:7-14)
(MY NOTE: Only people under the covenant of circumcision were allowed to eat the Passover meal)

1 Cor 5:7 (C) For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
(MY NOTE: Written to believers [1 Cor 1:2]. 1 Cor 5:7 (C) Christ is our Passover Lamb)

1 Cor 11:27 Who ever eats this bread, & drinks this cup of the Lord, unworthily, will be guilty of the body & blood of the Lord
(MY NOTE: I believe this verse is warning NON-believers/anyone that hasn't been sealed with Christ New covenant indwelling Holy Spirit & doesn't understand why/what/WHO they are remembering, BEWARE!)

Jn 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood; """"""""ye have NO LIFE in you""""""""
(MY NOTE: Without spiritual life you'll never be able to reproduce/soul winning)

Jesus gave a couple new commandments of love. And a couple of decrees: Water baptism & communion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If we are practicing mortal sin regularly, we should repent of it, seek confession, and then we may return to Communion.

That's always been my understanding within my church.

At the so-called "last supper", a.k.a. "Passover", Jesus shared the bread and wine with everyone present -- including Judas. Since Jesus shared the bread and wine with the man who betrayed Him -- the ultimate sin -- why is this even being discussed?

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟14,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If being sinless is a requirement for participation. Then we all fall short [Rom 3:23].
"But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin."

If we have been washed in the Blood (saved), AND we continue to walk in Christ to our best ability, then the blood of Christ continually washes away our daily sin; thus we are free to take communion whenever it is offered.

However, if we have never been washed, or if we are not walking in Christ to our best ability, then we eat and drink damnation to ourselves.

Someone above mentioned Judas eating Passover with Christ. But Jesus also ate Passover with Peter. Was Peter's denial of Christ (which Christ knew about before the Passover) less a betrayal of Christ than Judas' betrayal? No. But Peter immediately realized his sin, repented, and was forgiven. Judas, while he regretted his sin, did not repent but added to his sin by killing himself.
Peter walked in the Light.
Judas did not.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,985.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
At the so-called "last supper", a.k.a. "Passover", Jesus shared the bread and wine with everyone present -- including Judas. Since Jesus shared the bread and wine with the man who betrayed Him -- the ultimate sin -- why is this even being discussed?
considering what happened to him :doh:.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That Judas participated in the Eucharist is a subject of debate. The Gospel of John indicated that he departed prior to it.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

View attachment 313341
If we’ve returned to the flesh and to persistent, grave sin, then we’ve already excommunicated ourselves from God; we mock Him by acting as if our relationship is still good and intact. We’re acting as if we could care less about that relationship, as if we don’t really need Him after all. We need to be reconciled all over again, if we truly have a change of heart and begin to care about God and our relationship with Him again.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Judas partaking works against him, not for him. That would be the difference to my knowledge.

At my church, we have a time of silence to repent before we eat and drink. This is a good practice, I think. It feels just as good to repent during that time as it does to partake.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If we’ve returned to the flesh and to persistent, grave sin, then we’ve already excommunicated ourselves from God; we mock Him by acting as if our relationship is still good and intact. We’re acting as if we could care less about that relationship, as if we don’t really need Him after all. We need to be reconciled all over again, if we truly have a change of heart and begin to care about God and our relationship with Him again.
The table convicts the unrepentant to repentance, because the gospel is displayed in the sacrament.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The table convicts the unrepentant to repentance, because the gospel is displayed in the sacrament.
As some sort of automatic response? I hardly think so if someone is engaged in willful, serious sin. In any case if and when sincere repentance comes, they’ll want and need to get right with God and that’s why He’s mercifully provided the sacrament of Confession/Reconciliation.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,207.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Clint is right on this. There are times where I have not been ... ehhhh "truly" ... repentant of a particular sin. In that case, I will pass on Communion. Once I have had time and even Confession, I can more fully realize the implications of that sin. It's kind of a "It's me Lord, not you". Christ says Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first. be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. Not approaching Communion is the same thing.

One of the prayers before Communion of St. John of Damascus:

... and make me worthy to receive without condemnation thy divine, glorious, immaculate and life-giving Mysteries; not unto punishment or unto increase of sin; but unto purification, and sanctification and a promise of thy Kingdom and the Life to come; as a protection and a help to overthrow the adversaries, and to blot out my many sins.
Our struggle with our sinfulness is the exact reason why we should come and be involved in Communion. It is there that we confess our sinfulness in line with 1 John 1:8-10, and acknowledge that the broken body of the Lord makes us whole, and that the shed blood brings forgiveness and cleanses us from all unrighteousness.

To withhold Communion from someone perceived to have sinned is to block them from the body and blood of the Lord and to say that their particular sin is unforgiveable, which is inconsistent with the Scripture: "All sin and iniquity shall be forgiven of men", and "There is forgiveness with Thee that Thou mayest be feared." Receiving Communion with a sincere heart toward God is a significant form of repentance.

What brings a curse is where a person makes light of the Lord's Supper, as some of the Corinthians did, by being gluttons and getting drunk with the wine. This is when the Lord's Supper in the early church was more of a fellowship meal than what we have today as a wafer or bit of bread and a small cup of wine. Also, one needs to examine oneself to ensure that they are truly repentant when they come to the Lord's Table and not deceitfully holding on to a favourite sin, otherwise they could be receiving the Communion in an hypocritical manner.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,297.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I find it interesting that Paul gives, as the reason for coming under judgment, as not judging the body rightly.

29 For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly.

This is not "sin" as most people read into the passage. It is a particular sin.

The question then has been debated ad nauseum through the centuries as to what this sin actually is. It has become something of a football to be tossed around like the unpardonable sin, which has multiple definitions.

Our Catholic and Orthodox friends and some Protestants, as well, deem the sin to be not understanding or believing in the miraculous conversion of bread into human flesh and wine into human blood at the Eucharist. Even they do not believe that the bread actually and truly becomes human flesh with the physical DNA of Jesus Christ nor that the wine becomes human blood with the physical DNA of Jesus Christ. As a result, there are divisions among them regarding "the body". In fact, Paul himself is no help in the matter when he refers to the cup as being "the new covenant" rather than merely "the blood".

Zwinglians and most Anabaptists take a much more prosaic view, seeing the bread and wine as symbolic only, albeit deeply symbolic. "The body" in their understanding relates to the Church, which is the body of Christ. The primary thrust of I Corinthians is Paul's attempt to address deep divisions which had developed in the body of Christ in Corinth. Thus, it is hardly unreasonable to understand "the body" to mean the assembly of believers and not the physical body and blood of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist.

If that is the case, then it is a sin to maintain divisions in the body of Christ, especially in the remembrance of His sacrifice to unite into one body, the church, both Jew and Gentile (cf. Ephesians 2).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I think Paul's notion of unworthy reception is really about sins against fellowship and good order, not the notion that one should be overly scrupulous about the sacrament, given the overall context surrounding it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0