• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Sin is a matter of ones personal conscience.

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by SkyWriting, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+6,668
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Really? I thought it was because Christ died for our sins so that our sins are covered by his sacrifice for us if we believe in Him to do so. But that's just what I read in the bible. John 3:16, and all that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+6,525
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    He did that even while we were still sinners. :oldthumbsup:

1 John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Ephesians 1:7
    In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace,

Ephesians 2:1-22
    And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— ...

Ephesians 2:8-9
    For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Isaiah 1:18
    “Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool.

Romans 3:23
    For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

John 3:16
    “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

What Does the Bible Say About Gods Forgiveness? - OpenBible.info

3. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+6,668
    Non-Denom
    Single
    But why? From what you've been saying, it doesn't sound as if we need Him. All we have to do is justify away our sins, or just do them enough until our conscience is seared.

4. Phil 1:21

Phil 1:21 Well-Known Member

+4,332
    Christian
    Married
    Casting doubt on what God actually said was the original tactic used to justify sin (Genesis 3:1).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. SkyWriting

+6,525
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    That seems to be a gift given to those without faith.

6. Dave G.

Dave G. Well-Known Member

+3,839
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    So if we never read the bible, never associated with Christians or went to church we will be unaware of what sin is and so sinless ? Interesting , would have been better off if my parents were non believers at that rate. What heck, maybe the new age movement is a better deal for folks !

7. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+6,668
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Then how is it that we are saved by grace through faith? Ephesians 2:8-9
    "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast."

8. SkyWriting

+6,525
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    What is in your heart is your personal opinion.

Matthew 15:17-20
    Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled? But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone.”

Psalm 51:10
    Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.

Ezekiel 36:26
    And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.

Jeremiah 17:10
    “I the Lord search the heart and test the mind, to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds.”

Proverbs 21:2
    Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the heart.

9. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+6,668
    Non-Denom
    Single
    ....and defiles a person. But only if it is your opinion that those things listed by Jesus are a sin?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  10. stuart lawrence

stuart lawrence Well-Known Member

+1,581
    Christian
    Single
    Not according to the core foundation on which the NC stands. The law God desires you to follow is written in your mind and placed on your heart( heb10:16&17) God does it, he puts it there. And:
    Through the law we become conscious of sin rom3:20

Therefore, you would not have to read a bible, go to church, or associate with Christians to become sin conscious

11. paul1149

paul1149 that your faith might rest in the power of God Supporter

+4,258
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    The fear of the Lord is still the beginning of wisdom, and His law (or truth), administered through grace, is able to purify the heart. A good conscience is a reflection of God's law, but the conscience can be seared and twisted - witness many criminals who have not a tinge of remorse. If you make yourself the ultimate judge of yourself you are going down hard. You have indeed made yourself your own god, as did satan.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. samir

samir Well-Known Member

+563
    Christian Seeker
    Private
    Literal means believing what scripture actually says and not creatively interpreting it to suit one's own opinions which is the exact opposite of interpreting it literally. Better reading comprehension skills would help.

13. -V-

-V- Well-Known Member

+495
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Nothing in there about what is right = our personal opinion.

Yeah, you just refuted your own argument.

Right in man's eyes *BUT* the Lord weighs the heart, which means it's NOT based on what is right in man's own eyes, it's based on the Lord's rules.

14. Instrument150

Instrument150 Active Member

+157
    United States
    Messianic
    Widowed
    This is a great topic. You're right, 2 Peter 2:21 is pretty cryptic when taken at face value.

I have considered this much of late.

I think that if this face value interpretation is the case, we have to be careful to be in the Spirit while making these decisions. If your eye be single, then your entire body will be full of light. There are other voices that seek to warp our perception of these sins, and we can believe that other voices are ours that aren't ours at all

15. Aseyesee

Aseyesee Well-Known Member

+1,470
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Fundamentally, it is the lesson of Adam.

16. SkyWriting

+6,525
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Exactly. Adam did what God had told him not to do.
    We need to follow what God tells us is right. Not what
    others say is right for us.

17. SkyWriting

+6,525
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    What is in your heart is your personal opinion.
    What you feel.

18. Aseyesee

Aseyesee Well-Known Member

+1,470
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    More in the light of God's question to Adam of who told you that you were naked ...

A good question in relationship to this and along the lines of this discussion would be, why was Adam before he ate, not ashamed to be naked?

19. -V-

-V- Well-Known Member

+495
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Sure, but, yet once again, it never says "what is right" = "what is in your heart".

20. RayJeena

RayJeena Before I was born, he knew me. Supporter

+3,330
    United States
    Unorthodox
    Single
    Romans 14 in a nutshell. :)