Sin, Iniquity, Transgression- Are they the same in the Bible?

newton3005

Jun 29, 2019
newburgh
✟115,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sin, iniquity and transgression are words mentioned in the Bible. A question sometimes arises as to whether they are the same or different. Perhaps the Bible itself may answer the question.

Exodus 34:7 arguably suggest there’s a distinction when it says, “Keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin...” One may ask at this point if all three are mentioned in order to accommodate the different languages and backgrounds of people reading these words, but presuming that not to be the case, it seems they are all different. Another verse in which all three are mentioned is Psalms 32:5 which says, “I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,’ and you forgave the iniquity of my sin.” The phrase involving sin here, is spoken between the person and God; the phrase involving iniquity may refer to that which other people and God may see; and the phrase involving transgression seems to be something that can be shared with both God and other people...that is, both God and people are witness to the transgression.

Regarding sin, the Bible generally defines it as breaking God’s Law. Romans 3:20 says, “For by works of the law no human being will be justified in His sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.” The Law that’s referred to here is the Law of God, not of man. In that context, anyone who knows God’s Law would know what it is to sin. Some may say that sin doesn’t exist unless man knows God’s Law. But Romans 5:13 says “...for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law.” So, to the extent the Law existed, whether or not man knew of it, the potential to sin was there. The Tree of Good and Evil existed before Adam and Eve, and with that Tree was the potential for sin to anyone who ate from it.

Transgressions can apply to acts against both God and man, but for now, we can stick to how it applies to God. A transgression against God can be defined as ‘crossing over’ to evil from the act of committing a sin. That was easy, right?

What about an iniquity? This is a function of how a person who sinned might be looked at from God and from man. In terms of abiding by what God wants, such an iniquity makes a person less than equal to others in terms of relative righteousness, and God could view that person less than He would others in terms of Judgement and what’s next.

Here’s an interesting Verse: Ezekiel 18:20. There are many versions of this verse. Some versions only mention sin. Others mention sin and iniquity. The English Standard version says, “The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son.” So, the son shall not be judged less than the father for what the father has done. (The father and son here is what you would find in the household family. It doesn’t refer to God and Christ.) The New Living Translation’s Ezekiel 18:20 cuts to the chase. It says, “The person who sins is the one who will die. The child will not be punished for the parent’s sins, and the parent will not be punished for the child’s sins.” No mention of inequity here, perhaps because it is seen as a given. In none of the versions of this Verse is transgression mentioned. Perhaps that’s because it’s a given as well.

Perhaps in the order of consequence, sin begets a transgression, which in turn begets iniquity. Forgiveness of our sins leads to a forgiveness of our transgressions which in turn may restore our standing in the eyes of God and of man, and eliminate our iniquity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clare73

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟277,769.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sin, iniquity and transgression are words mentioned in the Bible. A question sometimes arises as to whether they are the same or different. Perhaps the Bible itself may answer the question.

Exodus 34:7 arguably suggest there’s a distinction when it says, “Keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin...” One may ask at this point if all three are mentioned in order to accommodate the different languages and backgrounds of people reading these words, but presuming that not to be the case, it seems they are all different. Another verse in which all three are mentioned is Psalms 32:5 which says, “I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,’ and you forgave the iniquity of my sin.” The phrase involving sin here, is spoken between the person and God; the phrase involving iniquity may refer to that which other people and God may see; and the phrase involving transgression seems to be something that can be shared with both God and other people...that is, both God and people are witness to the transgression.

Regarding sin, the Bible generally defines it as breaking God’s Law. Romans 3:20 says, “For by works of the law no human being will be justified in His sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.” The Law that’s referred to here is the Law of God, not of man. In that context, anyone who knows God’s Law would know what it is to sin. Some may say that sin doesn’t exist unless man knows God’s Law. But Romans 5:13 says “...for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law.” So, to the extent the Law existed, whether or not man knew of it, the potential to sin was there. The Tree of Good and Evil existed before Adam and Eve, and with that Tree was the potential for sin to anyone who ate from it.

Transgressions can apply to acts against both God and man, but for now, we can stick to how it applies to God. A transgression against God can be defined as ‘crossing over’ to evil from the act of committing a sin. That was easy, right?

What about an iniquity? This is a function of how a person who sinned might be looked act from God and from man. In terms of abiding by what God wants, such an iniquity makes a person less than equal to others in terms of relative righteousness, and God could view that person less than He would others in terms of Judgement and what’s next.

Here’s an interesting Verse: Ezekiel 18:20. There are many versions of this verse. Some versions only mention sin. Others mention sin and iniquity. The English Standard version says, “The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son.” So, the son shall not be judged less than the father for what the father has done. (The father and son here is what you would find in the household family. It doesn’t refer to God and Christ.) The New Living Translation’s Ezekiel 18:20 cuts to the chase. It says, “The person who sins is the one who will die. The child will not be punished for the parent’s sins, and the parent will not be punished for the child’s sins.” No mention of inequity here, perhaps because it is seen as a given. In none of the versions of this Verse is transgression mentioned. Perhaps that’s because it’s a given as well.

Perhaps in the order of consequence, sin begets a transgression, which in turn begets iniquity. Forgiveness of our sins leads to a forgiveness of our transgressions which in turn may restore our standing in the eyes of God and of man, and eliminate our iniquity.
Keeping in mind that only one things condemns. . .unbelief in Jesus Christ's atoning work for the remission of your sin.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,438.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see sin in degrees on a course in any direction away from the Light of God and into darkness.
I think a transgression means transgressing against the law, but it could also be any trespass or wrongdoing to another person.
And I think iniquity is unequal or unjust judgment, such as hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
A question sometimes arises as to whether they are the same or different.
No two words are the same and we are given very few words to work with.
Every word would take a whole book to explain.

Upvote 0