Dec 29, 2006
✟427,074.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The New Testament teaches that Jesus Christ died for our sins so that we may inherit eternal life through Him.

For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures. 1 Corinthians 15:3

That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:15

The scriptures Paul is referring to when he said that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures is the Old Testament, which predicted that Jesus would die for the sins of mankind. Isaiah spells out the affliction and suffering that the Messiah would have to go through to atone for our sins:

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. Isaiah 53:3-6

So lets indentify the reason for God sending His Son Jesus, it was sin in the Garden of Eden. The Bible says that man fell when sin occured in the Garden of Eden so even at creation God's law defined sin, so God showed Adam what was sin and how out of love he would save man from sin.

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. 1 John 3:4

Sin is the transgression of the law of God. Moreover, sin carries a penalty, and that penalty is death, but in Christ the penalty is paid and we can have eternal life.

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23

Sin separates us from God and being separated from God means being separated from the source of life because God is the author and maintainer of life.

But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear. Isaiah 59:2

Since all mankind has transgressed the law of God, all mankind is in need of salvation.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23

If salvation is a gift, then it follows that salvation is by grace and that my own works cannot save me.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God. Ephesians 2:8

And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. Romans 11:6

So we are saved by the grace of God through faith in the Son of God. Does this free us from obedience to God’s law or discard God's law?

Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law. Romans 3:31

For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid. Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? Romans 6:14-16

Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. Romans 7:12

So sin (the transgression of God’s law) leads to death (eternal death) and grace leads to life (eternal life). But grace does not remove the obligation to keep God’s law, but rather establishes the law. The law cannot save me, but it can warn me by telling me what sin is.
Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. Romans 3:20

It is by grace that we are saved, delivered from sin, justified, restored and sanctified. Grace sets right the relationship with God, but the law tells us what sin is so that we may avoid it by the grace of God. A true conversion will fill the heart with gratitude and the restored person will once again want to live in harmony with the law of God. Jesus said:

If ye love me, keep my commandments. John 14:15

If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love. John 15:10

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 1 John 5:3

Now lets look at the story of Mary Magdalene when she was caught in adultery and brought before Jesus. She stood before Him condemned to death by the law.

And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? John 8: 3-5

The Law could not save her, but Jesus could. Not one of the accusers was without sin and all fell short of the glory of God. Having convicted them of their own sinfulness, they left one by one and left the trembling, guilty, repentant Mary behind. Jesus turned to her and said:

When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. John 8:10-11

The condemned sinner was forgiven and placed under grace: “Neither do I condemn thee,” but then she was obligated to henceforth keep the law “go, and sin no more.” To be saved by grace does therefore not relieve anyone from the duty of obedience to God’s law. Grace takes away the condemnation of the law, but it does not do away with the law.

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Romans 8:1

Eila

Senior Veteran
Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
✟10,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The New Testament teaches that Jesus Christ died for our sins so that we may inherit eternal life through Him.

For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures. 1 Corinthians 15:3

That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:15

The scriptures Paul is referring to when he said that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures is the Old Testament, which predicted that Jesus would die for the sins of mankind. Isaiah spells out the affliction and suffering that the Messiah would have to go through to atone for our sins:

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. Isaiah 53:3-6

So lets indentify the reason for God sending His Son Jesus, it was sin in the Garden of Eden. The Bible says that man fell when sin occured in the Garden of Eden so even at creation God's law defined sin, so God showed Adam what was sin and how out of love he would save man from sin.

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. 1 John 3:4

Sin is the transgression of the law of God. Moreover, sin carries a penalty, and that penalty is death, but in Christ the penalty is paid and we can have eternal life.

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23

Sin separates us from God and being separated from God means being separated from the source of life because God is the author and maintainer of life.

But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear. Isaiah 59:2

Since all mankind has transgressed the law of God, all mankind is in need of salvation.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23

If salvation is a gift, then it follows that salvation is by grace and that my own works cannot save me.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God. Ephesians 2:8

And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. Romans 11:6

So we are saved by the grace of God through faith in the Son of God. Does this free us from obedience to God’s law or discard God's law?

Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law. Romans 3:31

For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid. Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? Romans 6:14-16

Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. Romans 7:12

So sin (the transgression of God’s law) leads to death (eternal death) and grace leads to life (eternal life). But grace does not remove the obligation to keep God’s law, but rather establishes the law. The law cannot save me, but it can warn me by telling me what sin is.
Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. Romans 3:20

It is by grace that we are saved, delivered from sin, justified, restored and sanctified. Grace sets right the relationship with God, but the law tells us what sin is so that we may avoid it by the grace of God. A true conversion will fill the heart with gratitude and the restored person will once again want to live in harmony with the law of God. Jesus said:

If ye love me, keep my commandments. John 14:15

If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love. John 15:10

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 1 John 5:3

Now lets look at the story of Mary Magdalene when she was caught in adultery and brought before Jesus. She stood before Him condemned to death by the law.

And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? John 8: 3-5

The Law could not save her, but Jesus could. Not one of the accusers was without sin and all fell short of the glory of God. Having convicted them of their own sinfulness, they left one by one and left the trembling, guilty, repentant Mary behind. Jesus turned to her and said:

When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. John 8:10-11

The condemned sinner was forgiven and placed under grace: “Neither do I condemn thee,” but then she was obligated to henceforth keep the law “go, and sin no more.” To be saved by grace does therefore not relieve anyone from the duty of obedience to God’s law. Grace takes away the condemnation of the law, but it does not do away with the law.

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Romans 8:1

Grace is unmerited favor.
Grace is unmerited favor.

Galatians 5 "18But if you are guided (led) by the [Holy] Spirit, you are not subject to the Law."

Galatians 6 "4But far be it from me to glory [in anything or anyone] except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah) through Whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world!
15For neither is circumcision [now] of any importance, nor uncircumcision, but [only] a new creation [the result of a new birth and a new nature in Christ Jesus, the Messiah]."

Romans 4 "16Therefore, [inheriting] the promise is the outcome of faith and depends [entirely] on faith, in order that it might be given as an act of grace (unmerited favor), to make it stable and valid and guaranteed to all his descendants--not only to the devotees and adherents of the Law, but also to those who share the faith of Abraham, who is [thus] the father of us all."

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,074.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems we are getting there, "depends [entirely] on faith, in order that it might be given as an act of grace", is exactly what I said before. We cannot judge ourselves as without sin or iniquity, it has to be by faith that we accept grace and let the Holy Spirit do its work. If we then however, like Adam lose our faith in God and turn away from the truth as given to us in the complete word of God and go back into sin as the Law shows us, and ignore the Holy Spirit, we can actually reject the Holy Spirit and be lost. So make sure it is the true Spirit you are following as it must be in agreement with and its testimony from the same source as God and His Son Jesus Christ.

Matthew 12:32
Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

Mark 3:29
But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin."

Revelation 12:17
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Eila

Senior Veteran
Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
✟10,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems we are getting there, "depends [entirely] on faith, in order that it might be given as an act of grace", is exactly what I said before. We cannot judge ourselves as without sin or iniquity, it has to be by faith that we accept grace and let the Holy Spirit do its work.

It is not that we judge ourselves, the that the Word of God says that we are without sin.

Romans 8:10 " But if Christ lives in you, [then although] your [natural] body is dead by reason of sin and guilt, the spirit is alive because of [the] righteousness [that He imputes to you]."

1 Corinthians 1:30 "30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— 31 that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the LORD.”

Romans 5 "17 For if by the one man’s offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)"

Ephesians 4 "23 and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness."

Philippians 3 " And that I may [actually] be found and known as in Him, not having any [self-achieved] righteousness that can be called my own, based on my obedience to the Law's demands (ritualistic uprightness and supposed right standing with God thus acquired), but possessing that [genuine righteousness] which comes through faith in Christ (the Anointed One), the [truly] right standing with God, which comes from God by [saving] faith."

2 Corinthians 5 "21For our sake He made Christ [virtually] to be sin Who knew no sin, so that in and through Him we might become [[endued with, viewed as being in, and examples of] the righteousness of God [what we ought to be, approved and acceptable and in right relationship with Him, by His goodness]."

If we then however, like Adam lose our faith in God and turn away from the truth as given to us in the complete word of God and go back into sin as the Law shows us, and ignore the Holy Spirit, we can actually reject the Holy Spirit and be lost.

If we no longer believe in Jesus as our Savior then we are lost. We aren't lost because we sin, but because we no longer accept Jesus as our Savior. Sinning does not change our status as a child of God. Divorcing our parent and refusing to have anything to do with them does.

You are not sinning if you don't keep the old covenant laws. You sin if you don't keep the new covenant laws.

Remember the definition that says sin is the transgression of the law if found in 1 John where we also find our commandments in the new covenant:

1 John 3 " 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment."

Upvote 0

Jon0388g

Veteran
Aug 11, 2006
London
✟16,667.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
If we no longer believe in Jesus as our Savior then we are lost. We aren't lost because we sin, but because we no longer accept Jesus as our Savior. Sinning does not change our status as a child of God. Divorcing our parent and refusing to have anything to do with them does.

I don't think its as simple as that. 1 John 3:6 says "No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him." One sin here = not knowing Christ. This is why we must die daily to sin, repenting and confessing, growing in grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour. And I believe the more we confess and repent, the less we will sin.

"No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him, and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." 1 John 3:9

You are not sinning if you don't keep the old covenant laws. You sin if you don't keep the new covenant laws.

So, I could kill you right now, and not be sinning? The Law of Christ is the Spiritual Ten Commandments.

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think its as simple as that. 1 John 3:6 says "No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him." One sin here = not knowing Christ. This is why we must die daily to sin, repenting and confessing, growing in grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour. And I believe the more we confess and repent, the less we will sin.

"No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him, and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." 1 John 3:9

So, I could kill you right now, and not be sinning? The Law of Christ is the Spiritual Ten Commandments.
LOL!:thumbsup: Yeah, good one! You're joking right? How in the world would God living in us, controlling our minds, lead us to murder each other? Think man! It says he CANNOT sin! If your narrow definition of sin is only the 10 commandments, you still don't measure up, because you break them. Ever lusted after a woman? Ever been angry at someone? Those don't break the 10, but they're sin! Think! Get out of the old covenant/10 commandments/ministration of death!

Upvote 0

Jon0388g

Veteran
Aug 11, 2006
London
✟16,667.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
LOL!:thumbsup: Yeah, good one! You're joking right? How in the world would God living in us, controlling our minds, lead us to murder each other? Think man! It says he CANNOT sin! If your narrow definition of sin is only the 10 commandments, you still don't measure up, because you break them. Ever lusted after a woman? Ever been angry at someone? Those don't break the 10, but they're sin! Think! Get out of the old covenant/10 commandments/ministration of death!

I quote a Biblical text. And you point the finger at me, with four pointing back at yourself.

Read your Bible, instead of inspecting my sinful life. Even Eila does not agree with your philosophy of zero-free will. I find it tiresome discussing anything with you because of this huge error in your beliefs.

Jon

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I quote a Biblical text. And you point the finger at me, with four pointing back at yourself.

Read your Bible, instead of inspecting my sinful life. Even Eila does not agree with your philosophy of zero-free will. I find it tiresome discussing anything with you because of this huge error in your beliefs.

Jon
I didn't point a finger at you. I simply pointed out that sin is MUCH MORE than the elementary 'schoolmaster' 10 commandments. It goes to the core of our nature! I'm not pointing at you, I'm pointing to Jesus and HIS righteousness, because neither you NOR me has any.

I read my Bible every day and I'm not a 'fruit inspector' like most SDA's are. I've never denied 'free-will', I've only said that man's 'free-will' is infected with his/her 'sin nature'. I don't know if Eila agrees or disagrees with me, but I do know that the core of who we are is sinful and not in line with God. Conversion is a supernatural work of the Holy Spirit in us, not some work we perform on our own.

If relying on Jesus for my salvation is a 'huge error in my beliefs' then so be it. I'd rather be with Jesus than the 'save yourself' retorhic I've heard from SDA's in this discussion here. The HUGE error you refer to is that 'you can save yourself, or that you play a part in saving yourself'. I find that tiresome sometimes too, but it's a false teaching and I will stand against it every time.

God bless.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,074.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I feel it is a continuous struggle against sin as long we are exposed to evil and it's resulting sin........... I agree with your thinking in line with "and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness." which in my opinion puts you back to the sinless state of Adam before sin. But, then again Adam still fell.

1 John 1:8
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

Romans 3:20
Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel it is a continuous struggle against sin as long we are exposed to evil and it's resulting sin........... I agree with your thinking in line with "and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness." which in my opinion puts you back to the sinless state of Adam before sin. But, then again Adam still fell.

1 John 1:8
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

Romans 3:20
Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.
Don't stop the verses short!

Romans 3
21But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement,[i] through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, still as long as the devil comes to temp us into sin we can still fall, just as Jesus was tempted, the devil also comes for us.........
Those who trust Jesus for their eternal life are guaranteed the promises of God by HIM living in us. It's all about Jesus, not Satan and his temptations. Jesus is the truth you're looking for!

Upvote 0

Eila

Senior Veteran
Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
✟10,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think its as simple as that. 1 John 3:6 says "No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him." One sin here = not knowing Christ.
This is why we must die daily to sin, repenting and confessing, growing in grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour. And I believe the more we confess and repent, the less we will sin.

I'm going to try and explain my perspective here. Let me know if you don't understand what I am saying.
1 John 3:
"5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him."

In Him there is no sin. When we come to Jesus we reside in Him and He resides in us. When we abide in Him we do not sin because in Him there is no sin.

"7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God."

When you have been born of God you are sinless. We cannot sin because it is Jesus' perfection in us. Your spirit is perfect. Your spirit cannot fall into sin.

Your actions, however, may not reflect that perfection that is inside. The change in actions is maturity. Babes in Christ will likely be doing actions that do not reflect the righteousness they have in Christ. As they grow in Christ their actions become more Christ-like.

Jon, don't be silly :D 1 John 3 says what the commandments are for the new covenant "21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment. 24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us."

If you agape love me you won't kill me. You wouldn't even think of killing me.

BTW, did you have a good birthday?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eila

Senior Veteran
Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
✟10,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if Eila agrees or disagrees with me, but I do know that the core of who we are is sinful and not in line with God. Conversion is a supernatural work of the Holy Spirit in us, not some work we perform on our own.

I don't think we agree on things exactly, but it is pretty close ;) I would much rather go to a church that teaches what you say than a church that teaches a works-based theology.

Recreation of our spirit is a work of God. Sin does not negate the recreation. We were made with His sinlessness and cannot fall into sin like Adam. Yet, I do believe man can give back the gift of salvation and walk away from God forever. This giving back is not sinning, but an willful decision to die to Christ. I am still studying the issue of twice lost, lost forever so I'm not sure about that yet.

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think we agree on things exactly, but it is pretty close ;) I would much rather go to a church that teaches what you say than a church that teaches a works-based theology.
I bet we're a lot closer than what you think. There are certain things I won't say, just because I know the context of how they would be taken. I do believe we have a choice, but I believe to 'choose' God is the RESULT of the influence of the Holy Spirit working in us. I believe we have a so-called 'free-will', but I believe it's rooted in our sinful nature, so it seeks it's own way and not the way of God. God 'wins' us ove through the work of his Spirit in us, even our conscience. If left to our own 'free-will' eternal death would be a certainty.

Eila said:
Recreation of our spirit is a work of God. Sin does not negate the recreation. We were made with His sinlessness and cannot fall into sin like Adam.
I agree completely!

Eila said:
Yet, I do believe man can give back the gift of salvation and walk away from God forever. This giving back is not sinning, but an willful decision to die to Christ.
I suppose, theoretically, that COULD be true, although, I'm not sure how that plays out with the Holy Spirit living in us and having already 'made' us a 'new creation'. It would be like a butterfly going back to being a caterpillar. I don't even know if that has ever happend. I believe God is true to his promises, in spite of our weakly sinful human flesh. In other words, he can save us in spite of ourselves.

I'm not sure how a 'truly saved' person with the Holy Spirit of God living in them as a guarantee of the promises of God can then find themselves lost...

Eila said:
I am still studying the issue of twice lost, lost forever so I'm not sure about that yet.
Thankfully, we don't have to know it all...we just have to be known by Jesus.

Upvote 0

Jon0388g

Veteran
Aug 11, 2006
London
✟16,667.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I'm going to try and explain my perspective here. Let me know if you don't understand what I am saying.
1 John 3:
"5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him."

In Him there is no sin. When we come to Jesus we reside in Him and He resides in us. When we abide in Him we do not sin because in Him there is no sin.

Agreed.

"7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God."

When you have been born of God you are sinless. We cannot sin because it is Jesus' perfection in us. Your spirit is perfect. Your spirit cannot fall into sin.

Wait wait! Do you mean after we have accepted Christ we can never sin again, or that our Spirit cannot be practicing sin?

Your actions, however, may not reflect that perfection that is inside. The change in actions is maturity. Babes in Christ will likely be doing actions that do not reflect the righteousness they have in Christ. As they grow in Christ their actions become more Christ-like.

But you've already established that whoever is in Christ does not, and cannot sin. Babes/Adults in Christ do not sin. I agree with almost all you have said so far, its just that we're back in this territory where it seems you believe sin does not lose your salvation.

"My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous" 1 John 2:1

Nowhere in Scripture is there a tolerance for sin: of the heathen, babes, or mature in Christ. Hebrews tells us that if we go on sinning consciously after receiving knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for our sin. And our sin cannot be overlooked if they are not repented of.

Jon, don't be silly :D 1 John 3 says what the commandments are for the new covenant "21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment. 24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us."

If you agape love me you won't kill me. You wouldn't even think of killing me.

What was silly? I think it was a legitimate question! :cool:

The Ten Commandments are in no way conflicting with the Law of Christ. The main difference between the two Covenants is that one was required to be binded externally by the Israelites themselves, whereas in the New, God Himself binds it to our hearts and to our minds. The Ten Words do not cease to exist. They are still very much part of the New Covenant. John saw flashes of lightning and thunder when the Ark of the Covenant was revealed in Heaven, as the final phase of judgment. Significant? Methinks, yes!

We have never been saved by works either in the Old or New, agreed? So, what's the beef with the Ten Words? The Fourth? Hmm......

Jon

PS:

BTW, did you have a good birthday?

Had a great one, thanks! Getting a PS3 hehe!;)

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, what's the beef with the Ten Words? The Fourth? Hmm......
The beef is that the covenant made with Israel was NO LESS THAN the 10 commandments and we are no longer under the old covenant! It's not just about the 4th, as SDA's think. It's about Jesus. The new covenant is NOT the old covenant.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.