Simple question..

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aquafina1

Is Church Necessary?

I was talking to a few of my friends today that profess Christ, live a moral life, but never go to church. It somewhat bothers me.

I dont think Church is salvation and I dont think it is a requirement, but I do think it is necessary for growth. When one abandons church he takes a huge risk.

any thoughts on how I could get them back in church?

Josephus

<b>Co-Founder Christian Forums</b>
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
The aim of church is fellowship: "the breaking of bread together" with other believers.

Fellowship is not necessary for personal growth with the Lord (though it is helpful), but it is necessary if the church wants to fulfill its purpose. This is why the apostles told us not "to forsake the comming together." We are a body of believers, and each of us has unique gifts that identify us as a part of the body of Christ. We are not individual Lone Rangers. It is only together that we as a church can realize and fulfill our purpose.

Now then, church needs to be defined. Church is not the four walls of a building, but rather a community of believers strengthening and encouraging one another - provoking one another to good deeds and towards His purpose for our lives.

We have regulated church to be a Sunday morning repetitive action rather than what it was truly meant to be: relationship, living together, eating together, being with each other to encourage us to grow in our faith.

To your friends, I would ask them if they regularly fellowship with other Christians - like sharing a meal together, or spending time together studying the word, or worshipping together. This is what the church is, and if they are doing this, then their spiritual needs as being a part of the Body is definatly fulfilled.

What remains ultimatly is what is in your heart: that one should not think of themselves highly than they ought - prideful in their spirituality that they would never even consider visiting a church or congregation; because if this happens, then they cut off an opportunity from God to share what they have with others who definatly need to see the relationship aspect that goes with being member of the Body of Christ.

Upvote 0

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
Good question, but not the right one. Why? Because the Church is because Jesus Christ has established it. The Church is the Body of Christ. As Josephus noted above, we find many descriptions of the church - never a physical building though. See the following:
Matt. 16:18 ÒAnd I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades shall not overpower it.

Matt. 18:17 ÒAnd if he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax-gatherer.

Acts 5:11 And great fear came upon the whole church, and upon all who heard of these things.

Acts 8:1 And Saul was in hearty agreement with putting him to death. &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp And on that day a great persecution arose against the church in Jerusalem; and they were all scattered throughout the regions of Judea and Samaria, except the apostles.

Acts 8:3 But Saul {began} ravaging the church, entering house after house; and dragging off men and women, he would put them in prison.

Acts 9:31 So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria enjoyed peace, being built up; and, going on in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it continued to increase.

Acts 11:22 And the news about them reached the ears of the church at Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas off to Antioch.

Acts 11:26 and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. And it came about that for an entire year they met with the church, and taught considerable numbers; and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

Acts 12:1 Now about that time Herod the king laid hands on some who belonged to the church, in order to mistreat them.

Acts 12:5 So Peter was kept in the prison, but prayer for him was being made fervently by the church to God.

Acts 13:1 Now there were at Antioch, in the church that was {there} , prophets and teachers: Barnabas, and Simeon who was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.

Acts 14:23 And when they had appointed elders for them in every church, having prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed.

Acts 14:27 And when they had arrived and gathered the church together, they {began} to report all things that God had done with them and how He had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles.

Acts 15:3 Therefore, being sent on their way by the church, they were passing through both Phoenicia and Samaria, describing in detail the conversion of the Gentiles, and were bringing great joy to all the brethren.

Acts 15:4 And when they arrived at Jerusalem, they were received by the church and the apostles and the elders, and they reported all that God had done with them.

Acts 15:22 Then it seemed good to the apostles and the elders, with the whole church, to choose men from among them to send to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas ÑJudas called Barsabbas, and Silas, leading men among the brethren,

Acts 18:22 And when he had landed at Caesarea, he went up and greeted the church, and went down to Antioch.

Acts 20:17 And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus and called to him the elders of the church.

Acts 20:28 ÒBe on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.

Rom. 16:1 I commend to you our sister Phoebe, who is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea;

Rom. 16:5 also {greet} the church that is in their house. Greet Epaenetus, my beloved, who is the first convert to Christ from Asia.

Rom. 16:23 Gaius, host to me and to the whole church, greets you. Erastus, the city treasurer greets you, and Quartus, the brother.

1Cor. 1:2 to the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their {Lord} and ours:

1Cor. 4:17 For this reason I have sent to you Timothy, who is my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, and he will remind you of my ways which are in Christ, just as I teach everywhere in every church.

1Cor. 5:12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within {the church} ?

1Cor. 6:4 If then you have law courts dealing with matters of this life, do you appoint them as judges who are of no account in the church?

1Cor. 10:32 Give no offense either to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God;

1Cor. 11:18 For, in the first place, when you come together as a church, I hear that divisions exist among you; and in part, I believe it.

1Cor. 11:22 What! Do you not have houses in which to eat and drink? Or do you despise the church of God, and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you? In this I will not praise you.

1Cor. 12:28 And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, {various} kinds of tongues.

1Cor. 14:4 One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church.

1Cor. 14:5 Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but {even} more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.

1Cor. 14:12 So also you, since you are zealous of spiritual {gifts,} seek to abound for the edification of the church.

1Cor. 14:19 however, in the church I desire to speak five words with my mind, that I may instruct others also, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.

1Cor. 14:23 If therefore the whole church should assemble together and all speak in tongues, and ungifted men or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are mad?

1Cor. 14:28 but if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God.

1Cor. 14:35 And if they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church.

1Cor. 15:9 For I am the least of the apostles, who am not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

1Cor. 16:19 The churches of Asia greet you. Aquila and Prisca greet you heartily in the Lord, with the church that is in their house.

2Cor. 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy {our} brother, to the church of God which is at Corinth with all the saints who are throughout Achaia:

Gal. 1:13 For you have heard of my former manner of life in Judaism, how I used to persecute the church of God beyond measure, and tried to destroy it;

Eph. 1:22 And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church,

Eph. 3:10 in order that the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known through the church to the rulers and the authorities in the heavenly {places.}

Eph. 3:21 to Him {be} the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.

Eph. 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself {being} the Savior of the body.

Eph. 5:24 But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives {ought to be} to their husbands in everything.

Eph. 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her;

Eph. 5:27 that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she should be holy and blameless.

Eph. 5:29 for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also {does} the church,

Eph. 5:32 This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church.

Phil. 3:6 as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.

Phil. 4:15 And you yourselves also know, Philippians, that at the first preaching of the gospel, after I departed from Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you alone;

Col. 1:18 He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the first-born from the dead; so that He Himself might come to have first place in everything.

Col. 1:24 Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body (which is the church) in filling up that which is lacking in ChristÕs afflictions.

Col. 1:25 Of {this church} I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit, that I might fully carry out the {preaching of} the word of God,

Col. 4:15 Greet the brethren who are in Laodicea and also Nympha and the church that is in her house.

Col. 4:16 And when this letter is read among you, have it also read in the church of the Laodiceans; and you, for your part read my letter {that is coming} from Laodicea.

1Ths. 1:1 Paul and Silvanus and Timothy to the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace.

2Ths. 1:1 Paul and Silvanus and Timothy to the church of the Thessalonians in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ:

1Tim. 3:5 (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?);

1Tim. 3:7 And he must have a good reputation with those outside {the church,} so that he may not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

1Tim. 3:15 but in case I am delayed, {I write} so that you may know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth.

1Tim. 5:16 If any woman who is a believer has {dependent} widows, let her assist them, and let not the church be burdened, so that it may assist those who are widows indeed.

Phlm. 2 and to Apphia our sister, and to Archippus our fellow soldier, and to the church in your house:

Hebr. 12:23 to the general assembly and church of the first-born who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of righteous men made perfect,

James 5:14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord;

3John 6 and they bear witness to your love before the church; and you will do well to send them on their way in a manner worthy of God.

3John 9 I wrote something to the church; but Diotrephes, who loves to be first among them, does not accept what we say.

3John 10 For this reason, if I come, I will call attention to his deeds which he does, unjustly accusing us with wicked words; and not satisfied with this, neither does he himself receive the brethren, and he forbids those who desire {to do so,} and puts {them} out of the church.

So, the question is really is: What is my role and responsibility in the Church? The following are very helpful in fleshing this out - even though none of them use the word "church."
Acts 2:42-47
Ephesians 2:19-22
1 Corinthians 12-14
The Acts 2 reference sets the foundation for the gathering activity of Christians as church: Apostles' Teaching (Word), Breaking of Bread (Lord's Supper), Fellowship, and Prayer.

Notice too that if you are talking about is it necessary for Christians to gather together, consider Hebrews 10:24-25.

Upvote 0
A

Aquafina1

Well no as far as I know they are not around any believers. Like I said they live fairly loose lives, but they live very high morally.

Jesus said you will know a christian by the fruit he bears. Im not the judge on what fruit they should bear or what standard they should be living. I dont believe that and I do not enforce that on anyone. The church is in my opinion one of the greatest assets we as Christians have. To forsake it is like walking into war naked. If people do not have the initiative to make it to a sunday morning service than I do not think they will take their own initiative and study the Bible.

I do agree with what Josephus said, that the church has been confined to the four walls. Very true and that is something that discourages me. We are supposed to dress a certain way when we walk into a church because God is in our midst. Isn't God everywhere? We confine God to the church building sometimes. But I do believe in the necessity of church, because I believe in a very real devil. Some may disagree with me on this and that is ok, it is just an opinion of mine.

I know when Im not doing great spiritually when I have a lack of desire to grow spiritually. When I do not want to go to church once a week (or 3 times) and read my Bible I am drifting away. I do not think that has anything to do with my salvation, but it is necessary for me to grow. Satan cant do a thing when im saved, he cant pull me out of from under God's grace. But he can hurt my testimony or just make my life miserable. The more time I spend away from spiritual matters the more I grow accustomed to things of the flesh. Movies appear a bit less offensive, swear words seem to be just fine, and other convictions I have get questioned. While I believe that the church shouldnt confine God, I do believe that it is necessary for a person to stay in god's will by going to church. (Unless your schedule hinders you) The only reason I hold that opinion is due to my own personal experience, and personal experiences tend to make a us biased on certain issues.

Upvote 0
A

Athlon4all

Good q, and I think the issue lies in what is the church? And I think that it isn't just showing up to church on Sunday morning, or even church related activities, but just fellowship with fellow believers. I do disagree though Aquafina1 about the necessitiy of church. Truthfully, I prefer the Bible Study type of "church" in that it isn't simply everyone takes (most of the time) what the Pastor says and then just goes on, but in a Bible Study there is room for discussion and it's not that 1 person is in control, everyone gives what the Lord is telling them. I guess, simply I think that you should rely only on the Bible and the Lord for growth, but fellow believes helps.

Upvote 0

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Well said Athlon. The standard service of most churches doesn't even begin to meet the requirements of churching. Met a street preacher last night who told me that "Nicolaitans" translates as "rule the laity" ... a possibility I'll have to check into later, but at first glance it seems possible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
L

lisa03wilson

I was one of those people who didn't go to church for a long time. I had just come to God and my family was very lax in our attendance (maybe once a month if we could fit it in) and they didn't understand why I wanted to go all of a sudden. So I just kinda gave up on it and said that I could have God with out church and it wasn't that big a deal.

Well now that I can drive on my own I visited a church a friend recommended and I loved it! Just the chance to get together with so many people with the sole purpose of learning about and praising God was amazing to me. And still sometimes I find the sermons long and hard to get through, but they I will notice that sometimes something will happen in my life and a sermon from a long time ago will come to mind and I will know what to do.

I think going to church is giving God the opportunity to plant something, a thought maybe, in you that will be useful later in life. it is also a great way to praise God, but I think the biggest thing is the opportunity. They more you focus on God, reading or studying or praying or praising, then the more it will show through in your life. Church is a great way to add to your spiritual life.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.