Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does Orthodoxy have the same concept as Catholicism that simony does not disrupt Apostolic Succession?

Also, I think Catholics claim ordination leaves an "indelible mark", and once a priest, always a priest - regardless of sin or heresy. Does Orthodoxy have the same view?

I am really working between Catholicism and Orthodoxy right now -so thank you for any reply.

God Bless

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does Orthodoxy have the same concept as Catholicism that simony does not disrupt Apostolic Succession?

Also, I think Catholics claim ordination leaves an "indelible mark", and once a priest, always a priest - regardless of sin or heresy. Does Orthodoxy have the same view?

I am really working between Catholicism and Orthodoxy right now -so thank you for any reply.

God Bless

Do you have a specific example in the history of Orthodoxy where simony or some other sin would have broken succession?

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you have a specific example in the history of Orthodoxy where simony or some other sin would have broken succession?

No I don't. I have not looked for one really, but have read enough Catholic history to know they were pretty well clobbered by it.

It's a sin, and wherever there is man, there is sin. I am just starting to be drawn to Orthodoxy, and honestly don't know much about it.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
simony doesn't disrupt Apostolic succession any more than any other sin. the disruption happens when they refuse to repent and are cast out. which leads me to the second point. no, there is no indelible mark. if you are deposed or leave Orthodoxy, you are no longer a priest of the Church.

• Agree
Reactions: Hermit76
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That answers my question - the "indelible mark" concept. Being new to Orthodoxy, but having spent quite a bit of time in Catholicism - Orthodoxy just does not seem to ask my brain to bend in ways it does not naturally go so much.

Catholicism seems to push beyond the bounds of normal reason sometimes.

Upvote 0