Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My mother and mother in law broke their arms but it’s very close to the wrist. Usually when I describe my wrist, I’ll say something like I’ll put my bracelet on my wrist, just below my hand. My mom is insisting the wrist is above the hand. And I said, can’t it be both? Isn’t it the way you position it or look at it? So what is the official answer? Is the wrist considered to be above or below the hand?? I know this is silly but it’s entertaining her at the moment.

Reactions: public hermit

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
My mother and mother in law broke their arms but it’s very close to the wrist. Usually when I describe my wrist, I’ll say something like I’ll put my bracelet on my wrist, just below my hand. My mom is insisting the wrist is above the hand. And I said, can’t it be both? Isn’t it the way you position it or look at it? So what is the official answer? Is the wrist considered to be above or below the hand?? I know this is silly but it’s entertaining her at the moment.
Dem bones, dem bones...

(good job you can't hear my attempts at sining :))

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm just thankful I've gone 71 years thus far and not broken mine as yet, somehow. But the wrist is neither above or below but rather between the forearm and hand. It's a tweener joint then which I'm sure WOKE, BLM or some other radical movement would object to, especially on a white person, well maybe a black person or maybe people people don't count at all as long as it's environmentally friendly which I'm sure it's not to someone out there that takes their movement far too seriously !!!

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is the wrist considered to be above or below the hand??

I was going to say "below" until I read @Robban give the obvious answer, lol. Now I can't remember why I was going to say below. I guess I was looking at my hand on the mouse. o_O

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When you raise your hand it is below,

when you lower your hand it is above.

Though still in the same place.
Well I can’t wait to hear mom’s argument! I’ll let you know. But I basically said the same. Why can’t it be both depending?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So I was just thinking. The ankle is above the foot. If we were on all fours, we’d think the same of the hand. Since we are not... it’s perspective... right? :scratch:

How about the wrist is always before the hand. I'm farther away from my hand than I am my wrist, lol.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, there is the upper arm, and the lower arm. And the arm part that is lower is below, I would say. It does not change to being the upper arm if it is raised, right?
So, likewise, I think the hand is the lowest part . . . below all the rest, including the wrist. So, the wrist would be above the hand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Which is why scientists, doctors and other STEM professions use very precise jargon to remove the ambiguity from natural language descriptions. So officially, the wrist is proximal to the hand, or the hand is distal to the wrist, with the former meaning closer to the central body and the former meaning further away, both of which is true regardless of the angle you are currently holding your arm.

In other words, the official answer doesn't involve the words above or below.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Tanj's post, # 16, is correct. The directional nomenclature for locating bodily structures is based on the "anatomical position." The body is upright, arms extended slightly beyond the shoulders, with the palms facing forward. The figure in the diagram is in the anatomical position:

anatomy-physiology-position.jpg

The front of the body is anterior. The back is posterior. Any structures closer to the center mass of the trunk is considered to be proximal. Any structures further from the trunk is distal. So, as Tanj said, the hand is distal to the wrist. And the wrist is proximal to the hand. The elbow is distal to the shoulder. But is proximal to the wrist. Same terminology applies in the lower extremities. The foot is distal to the ankle. The ankle is proximal to the foot. The knee is distal to the hip. But is proximal to the ankle.

So is this clear as mud? :oldthumbsup:

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So is this clear as mud? :oldthumbsup:

Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game

• Haha
Reactions: jayem
Upvote 0