✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No, my position is consistent.

God works and creates faith in us through Word and Sacrament. Wherever God's word is, there God works and creates faith.

That's why the Apostle says of Baptism that it is a washing of "water with the word" (Ephesians 5:26). He also calls it the "washing of regeneration" in Titus 3:5.

-CryptoLutheran
But that doesn’t account for regeneration before baptism.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
But that doesn’t account for regeneration before baptism.

Word and Sacrament.

The preaching of the Gospel is Means of Grace.
Just as Baptism is.
Just as the Lord's Supper is.

It's not Word or Sacrament, it's Word and Sacrament. Without the Word there is no Sacrament. Water, without the Word isn't Baptism, it's just water.

Regeneration is the work of God in which we are given faith. Regeneration does not precede faith, neither does faith precede regeneration.

It is on account of the Word that Baptism does what Baptism does; there can be no regeneration without the Word.

What is being asserted is that Baptism is necessary (because the Scripture say so), not that Baptism is "absolutely necessary"--as though without Baptism a person cannot have faith, believe, and be saved.

Since God justifies me by His grace, through faith; then I am justified in the preaching of the Gospel which I have heard since I came into this world naked and crying. I am justified in my baptism, it is the same justification, the same grace, the same word, the same saving power of God in His Gospel. I am justified in the Lord's Supper, it is the same justification, the same grace, the same word, the same saving power of God in His Gospel.

And this may, in some sense, be one of the more significant differences here:

The Reformed tradition teaches that justification is a singular and instantaneous event or moment. God has declared us just by His grace, through faith.

Lutherans also believe that justification is the declaration of our being just on account of the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ alone. But that declaration of our justification from God is continual, it is the word God is always speaking to us in Word and Sacrament. Our justification is the ever-present reality of God declaring us just on Christ's account.

It's not merely that I was, at one time, forgiven.
I am forgiven right now. God's forgiveness is found in every moment of every day.

The Gospel declares AND accomplishes what it declares. The Gospel declares me forgiven, and so I am actually forgiven. There is actual, real forgiveness in God's Word to me.

Was I regenerated, in time, before my baptism? Yeah, the Holy Spirit creates and works faith in me through the Word.

Was I regenerated in my baptism? Yeah, the Holy Spirit creates and works faith in me through the Word.

So, again, it isn't Word or Sacrament, it's Word and Sacrament.

-CryptoLuthearn

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Word and Sacrament.

The preaching of the Gospel is Means of Grace.
Just as Baptism is.
Just as the Lord's Supper is.

It's not Word or Sacrament, it's Word and Sacrament. Without the Word there is no Sacrament. Water, without the Word isn't Baptism, it's just water.

Regeneration is the work of God in which we are given faith. Regeneration does not precede faith, neither does faith precede regeneration.

It is on account of the Word that Baptism does what Baptism does; there can be no regeneration without the Word.

What is being asserted is that Baptism is necessary (because the Scripture say so), not that Baptism is "absolutely necessary"--as though without Baptism a person cannot have faith, believe, and be saved.

Since God justifies me by His grace, through faith; then I am justified in the preaching of the Gospel which I have heard since I came into this world naked and crying. I am justified in my baptism, it is the same justification, the same grace, the same word, the same saving power of God in His Gospel. I am justified in the Lord's Supper, it is the same justification, the same grace, the same word, the same saving power of God in His Gospel.

And this may, in some sense, be one of the more significant differences here:

The Reformed tradition teaches that justification is a singular and instantaneous event or moment. God has declared us just by His grace, through faith.

Lutherans also believe that justification is the declaration of our being just on account of the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ alone. But that declaration of our justification from God is continual, it is the word God is always speaking to us in Word and Sacrament. Our justification is the ever-present reality of God declaring us just on Christ's account.

It's not merely that I was, at one time, forgiven.
I am forgiven right now. God's forgiveness is found in every moment of every day.

The Gospel declares AND accomplishes what it declares. The Gospel declares me forgiven, and so I am actually forgiven. There is actual, real forgiveness in God's Word to me.

Was I regenerated, in time, before my baptism? Yeah, the Holy Spirit creates and works faith in me through the Word.

Was I regenerated in my baptism? Yeah, the Holy Spirit creates and works faith in me through the Word.

So, again, it isn't Word or Sacrament, it's Word and Sacrament.

-CryptoLuthearn
That’s just a lot of back and forth. I know you don’t see it, but it is. We should probably move on.

Upvote 0