Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm looking to get a Sig Sauer P226 MK-25 for home (apartment) and self-defense, but I'm not sure if I should get the 9mm or the .357.

If you can imagine standing on your heels with your toes pointed toward your shins, that's how my disability makes me stand and walk. I can't really put the balls of my feet to the floor, nor can I stand on my toes. My balance isn't great, so I need something that isn't going to have a lot of recoil.

Is there much difference between 9x19mm Parabellum and .357 SIG, in terms of kick or takedown power?

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In my experience, the 357 has somewhat more recoil, and (supposedly) somewhat more stopping power, but not a whole lot of difference.

The weights of the guns in question also figure into it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waddler
Upvote 0

Waddler

Live a story worth telling well.
Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In my experience, the 357 has somewhat more recoil, and (supposedly) somewhat more stopping power, but not a whole lot of difference.

The weights of the guns in question also figure into it.

I looked at that. It's just about two pounds. The only other handgun I fired was a Smith & Wesson .357 Mag revolver with .38s, which was three pounds. It was surprisingly comfortable, but the gun itself was too big for my liking. I like full-size pistols, but I don't need a hand cannon.

A bigger gun seems like it would reduce recoil. There's a reason sniper rifles are heavy, to help keep the weapon in more or less the same spot. A bigger gun is also more visible, so if I have an interaction with a police officer, he can see what I've got.

I like matte black, though, because while I want the gun to be visible, I don't want to advertise too much. I don't like nickel plating or fancy grips that, for my taste, are showy. I want the gun there in case I need it, but don't want to draw undue attention it like a Pablo Escobar wannabe.

I plan to carry it in a chest holster, out of the way of my pockets. Last thing I need is for anyone to think I'm going for my gun when I'm just trying to dig out my keys or wallet. It also puts the gun away from my hands so I can talk to law enforcement without issues.

I'd go with the 9mm. Cheaper, more plentiful ammo, and less recoil.

Easier to get rid of too if you decide to sell it at some point.

Good point. Question: when the manufacturer says they sell mags in 10, 13, and 15 rounds, is 10 the standard and the others considered "extended mags?" I don't want an extended mag, so I'm curious how that works.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I looked at that. It's just about two pounds. The only other handgun I fired was a Smith & Wesson .357 Mag revolver with .38s, which was three pounds. It was surprisingly comfortable, but the gun itself was too big for my liking. I like full-size pistols, but I don't need a hand cannon.

A bigger gun seems like it would reduce recoil. There's a reason sniper rifles are heavy, to help keep the weapon in more or less the same spot.

Yes; weight makes the difference in recoil. When I took my concealed-carry class, I used my small (2 lbs.) 357 for the range test. After firing 50 rounds, I was ready to do something else! With my heavier 357 (3 lbs.), 50 rounds is no problem.

As a matter of fact, the shooter is safer than the target only because the gun is roughly 100 times heavier than the bullet, so it only accelerates 1/100 as fast. If the gun and bullet weighed the same, the shooter would be in as much danger as the target.

• Agree
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

twinserk

Apr 16, 2011
South
✟31,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Good point. Question: when the manufacturer says they sell mags in 10, 13, and 15 rounds, is 10 the standard and the others considered "extended mags?" I don't want an extended mag, so I'm curious how that works.

It depends on what pistol you're looking at. Duty size handguns will typically have a normal round capacity of 15+1. If you're looking at a smaller carry piece, then higher round counts will typically mean that the bottom of the mag will extend out and lengthen the grip.

Upvote 0

Waddler

Live a story worth telling well.
Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is wall penetration a factor to consider?
Probably, hence my specification that it is an apartment. I'm also on the sixth floor of a building overlooking a suburban area, with houses and dogs and such, but the nearest building as tall as mine is beyond the effective range of a handgun.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm looking to get a Sig Sauer P226 MK-25 for home (apartment) and self-defense, but I'm not sure if I should get the 9mm or the .357.

If you can imagine standing on your heels with your toes pointed toward your shins, that's how my disability makes me stand and walk. I can't really put the balls of my feet to the floor, nor can I stand on my toes. My balance isn't great, so I need something that isn't going to have a lot of recoil.

Is there much difference between 9x19mm Parabellum and .357 SIG, in terms of kick or takedown power?
The 9mm is probably the best for your protection considering all the variables that you have mentioned. If you use the hollow point, it will start to expand when it hits a wall and be slowed down considerably when passing through.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have a Sig P226 in 9 mm and it's good as a home defense gun. If you use subsonic ammo, you might not fully penetrate through the walls, although I don't know for certain. Sig uses 15 round magazines as standard. If you live in a restrictive state, you may have to settle for 10 rd mags. The 12 rd mags are probably for .40 S&W, which is a lot easier to find ammo for than .357 Sig. Ammo in .40 S&W isn't hard to find, and it's almost as ubiquitous as 9 mm with slightly more recoil with arguably better stopping power.

Be prepared, firing a major caliber gun indoors or in a car will damage your hearing, maybe forever. If you could get by with a CZ 83, you'd have a better chance at not over-penetrating and saving your hearing. Just a thought, not one I follow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,925.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
How about a .380? Perfect little defense gun within the confines of a home. The Browning Black Label is a slightly scaled down version of the 1911. Beautifully made too! The BL is on the top:

label-browning-1911-380-black-2.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Do
How about a .380? Perfect little defense gun within the confines of a home. The Browning Black Label is a slightly scaled down version of the 1911. Beautifully made too! The BL is on the top:

label-browning-1911-380-black-2.jpg
Do you have a Browning Black Label?

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,925.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Do

Do you have a Browning Black Label?
No, but I have held and looked at one, and have spoken to a guy who has one; I give it high marks for fit finish and habitability; he gives it very high marks for functionality and reliability.

• Informative
Reactions: Faith.Man
Upvote 0