• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

sick of being around this

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,569.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I feel really unmotivated today.

I've been sick and waiting for some test results til I can go back to work.

I have a roommate who is unemployed and I find it really depressing. Shes been looking for work for over a year, shes had the odd job here and there which is great but most of the time no job and yet the government pay her out of my taxes! so she is comfortable enough not to have to go and get a job. it's really irritating to live around it.

meanwhile I work strange hours so I can keep my job so I'm always tired. it doesnt seem fair. and i never have the house to myself because shes always there...or when she does go out it's not set hours like a job so i never know when shes going to be home again so it's not really time i know is definitely mine. But she knows my work hours are all her time by herself so it's not fair that way either. Especially since lockdown shes always here.

sigh so i kinda just want to ask her to move out because her life of doing nothing, being paid by the government to do nothing is getting me down a lot lately. its making me want to quit my job and stay home all the time like her and get paid money for food. then I wouldn't be tired and stressed. just rely on the government and have lots of free time.
it's seriously not helping my depression seeing her easy life as I have to go out to work Monday to Friday over and over again and shes doing nothing.

just complaining.
thanks for listening to the rant.

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've heard quite a lot of statements from people here too, where they say things like "Such and such a person is living on the taxpayer's money." But then you don't really know what the person is going through behind closed doors.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i found in my life working with people that we can't change other people but we can change ourselves. i found that loving people unconditionally like Jesus does is the best way to feel well, but i know first hand this can be very hard to do. To pluck out our eye hurts but it does lead us to better ways. When our reasoning is getting us more depressed it is high time to change our reasoning i found after years of being depressed because of the bad treatment i received from others.

i hope that you will be able to learn not to let other people depress you. For that is the pits. Honest it used to happen to me all the time, but after i plucked out my eye i learned to love unconditionally, i found that that works much better, for i don't get irritated with people who don't meet my (by this world taught) expectations any longer.

Learning to love people is much better than not loving people as it doesn't depress you but brings God's peace and rest.

Peace.

Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,569.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hear what you both are saying but it's still getting me down being around unemployment. why am I bothering to work so hard? I have usually had workers as roommates and it's worked well because we're all working and understand that way of life and sacrifices you have to make. she could get cleaning jobs or something but she doesnt I dont understand why she doesn't except that she gets enough from the unemployment to not bother. surely any job is better than no job, especially if you're looking for other employment it looks better to a potential employer if you are working doing something!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I feel really unmotivated today.

I've been sick and waiting for some test results til I can go back to work.

I have a roommate who is unemployed and I find it really depressing. Shes been looking for work for over a year, shes had the odd job here and there which is great but most of the time no job and yet the government pay her out of my taxes! so she is comfortable enough not to have to go and get a job. it's really irritating to live around it.

meanwhile I work strange hours so I can keep my job so I'm always tired. it doesnt seem fair. and i never have the house to myself because shes always there...or when she does go out it's not set hours like a job so i never know when shes going to be home again so it's not really time i know is definitely mine. But she knows my work hours are all her time by herself so it's not fair that way either. Especially since lockdown shes always here.

sigh so i kinda just want to ask her to move out because her life of doing nothing, being paid by the government to do nothing is getting me down a lot lately. its making me want to quit my job and stay home all the time like her and get paid money for food. then I wouldn't be tired and stressed. just rely on the government and have lots of free time.
it's seriously not helping my depression seeing her easy life as I have to go out to work Monday to Friday over and over again and shes doing nothing.

just complaining.
thanks for listening to the rant.
Be a little careful with your attitude. I discovered the hard way (is there any other?) that the only thing worse than going to work every day is being unemployed. Every day she is out of work makes her less employable. It's no way to live.

Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,569.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i understand that - I've been unemployed before aswell (twice) been made redundant, which is why I have a job with weird hours. I took the hours so I would have a job to pay bills . it's a sacrifice as I am always tired.

it's just incredibly frustrating to be around because i cant see her trying I guess. all I see is her in her room chilling out and as I walk out the door to work I think shes so lucky to be able to do that.

anyway I'll try and be compassionate again. but the thought of another year of being around it I think will not be good for my depression.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hear what you both are saying but it's still getting me down being around unemployment. why am I bothering to work so hard? I have usually had workers as roommates and it's worked well because we're all working and understand that way of life and sacrifices you have to make. she could get cleaning jobs or something but she doesnt I dont understand why she doesn't except that she gets enough from the unemployment to not bother. surely any job is better than no job, especially if you're looking for other employment it looks better to a potential employer if you are working doing something!

It is true that you have to work hard but many other people cannot, or will not do that. However it works much better to be thankful to God that you can work hard not look down on those who don't. It is really good for your self esteem to be a good worker, every one looks up at you for that, not working, on the other hand, erodes self esteem, as well as all those snide remarks you get being on the dole from people who are blessed and do have a job. It is true that many people on the dole get a bad attitude towards work but why should you suffer depressive feelings because of their attitude? That is just not wise.

Also, and this is even much more important, it is depressing you, thinking these thoughts about another is making you feel bad. i found out that these are painful attitudes to hold onto, which bring nothing but more bad feelings into you. Just imagine that you would loose your job in the future and you are full of those bad thoughts about people on the dole when you yourself need to go on it? You're depressed already now, i fear you will be suicidal if that happened to you.

Therefore it is best to love people. As God requires from us. Not because people deserve our love but because it is better to love than not to love. Learning to love people for who they are, rather than for what they can do, is a really worthwhile exercise, for it brings us the mind of Christ. What better reward than that being a Christian?

Ask Jesus, see what He says about other people and try to achieve that . For then you be free from the bad life other (fallen) people can bring into you now.

Peace.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,569.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have lost my job before I know what it is to be looked down on, that is not what I'm doing.

she is capable of working but is not, there are jobs she could do and that is frustrating to be around.

never mind.

It is true that you have to work hard but many other people cannot, or will not do that. However it works much better to be thankful to God that you can work hard not look down on those who don't. It is really good for your self esteem to be a good worker, every one looks up at you for that, not working, on the other hand, erodes self esteem, as well as all those snide remarks you get being on the dole from people who are blessed and do have a job. It is true that many people on the dole get a bad attitude towards work but why should you suffer depressive feelings because of their attitude? That is just not wise.

Also, and this is even much more important, it is depressing you, thinking these thoughts about another is making you feel bad. i found out that these are painful attitudes to hold onto, which bring nothing but more bad feelings into you. Just imagine that you would loose your job in the future and you are full of those bad thoughts about people on the dole when you yourself need to go on it? You're depressed already now, i fear you will be suicidal if that happened to you.

Therefore it is best to love people. As God requires from us. Not because people deserve our love but because it is better to love than not to love. Learning to love people for who they are, rather than for what they can do, is a really worthwhile exercise, for it brings us the mind of Christ. What better reward than that being a Christian?

Ask Jesus, see what He says about other people and try to achieve that . For then you be free from the bad life other (fallen) people can bring into you now.

Peace.

Upvote 0