✟15,220.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hi all,

I have recently become a Christian and am absolutely in love :) with my church. I'm almost addicted to going every Sunday (which if your going to be addicted to anything, let it be church right? ;). The only issue I have with going is that I'm really shy about singing. I have a huge fear of speaking in public and also singing around other people. I really want to join in, but I can't seem to make myself do it. Has anyone else encountered this issue, and if so, have you overcome it?

Reactions: carolina16

Pizzaroll

Apr 26, 2011
✟15,130.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good question. I'm real curious about this too, as I'm new to the faith, so I have a hard time raising my voice while praising the Lord. A quick google search turned up some other boards where this question had been asked, and the general consensus is that what matters is what's in your heart, not how loud your voice is. However, none of those statements were backed up with scripture. Does anyone have any quotes from the good book that will help Emily and me with this predicament?

Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Shyness is really a form of fear. But God commands us to not be afraid. The phrase 'fear not' is found 365 times in scripture.

Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Holy Spirit, God’s gift, does not want you to be afraid of people, but to be wise and strong, and to love them and enjoy being with them.

Timidity, shyness and bashfulness are basically fear of man; "what will man think of me" etc. God's Word says not to fear anyone but him.

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

For me, I sang out loud at home and whisper-quiet in church until I had a little more courage. Eventually, fear of singing completely left me. As I obeyed God and took a step of faith, He met me every time to fulfill his promises to me. It was a series of small steps.

Remember that no one is waiting for you to sing or wondering why you don't. Just trust God - he sees the heart, and He will help you.

Philippians 4:6-9
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, I decided to follow these Scriptures and sometimes I laugh when I sing because I know my singing is noise - He understands my sense of humor.
· Psa 66:1 Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands:
· Psa 81:1 Sing aloud unto God our strength: make a joyful noise unto the God of Jacob.
· Psa 95:1 O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.
· Psa 95:2 Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms.
· Psa 98:4 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.
· Psa 100:1 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.

Sometimes I change the lyrics - then I'm singing a new song to Him that's never been sung to Him before -
Psa 96:1 "O sing unto the LORD a new song: sing unto the LORD, all the earth."
Psa 98:1
"O sing unto the LORD a new song; for he hath done marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory."
Psa 149:1 "Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints."

I don't do this at church. I'm not a song writer. But it's really great singing to Him using lyrics that I create. If you haven't done this before, I encourage you to give it a try.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IreneAdler

more binah in her finger than in your whole body
Oct 12, 2009
✟22,392.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
:D
I'm glad you're addicted to church (God is a wonderful thing)
Honestly, I think most people are uncomfortable singing in church (with a few who like it). I sing in the choir and I notice the congrgation mumbles. :) I think most of them are a bit nervous. Singing is not for everyone and that's ok. Everyone has their own thing. I know some people who just move their mouths, who sing really quiet or who openly, loudly sing off key. lol. I don't think God ever called us to sing an in time, in tune joyful noise, just to make a joyful noise. Try to keep in mind the primary audience you need to make happy is him.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the input. I do feel like sometimes people are like, "why isn't she singing?". But I know they aren't judging me. I will get there one day. :)

If they have time to worry about what you're doing- they're not focused on what is most important anyway. :)

I'm shy about singing too- but then I joined the choir. We sing the entire liturgy (the parts the priests, chanters, and deacons don't do) a cappella. Eventually you realize that you're participating in the Kingdom of Heaven, and you've just got to do what needs doing and get over yourself. It takes time to realize it isn't about you at all. You'll get there.

Upvote 0

TheGuide

Feb 5, 2007
Houston, TX
Visit site
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,

I have recently become a Christian and am absolutely in love :) with my church. I'm almost addicted to going every Sunday (which if your going to be addicted to anything, let it be church right? ;). The only issue I have with going is that I'm really shy about singing. I have a huge fear of speaking in public and also singing around other people. I really want to join in, but I can't seem to make myself do it. Has anyone else encountered this issue, and if so, have you overcome it?

Then don't sing in church until you're comfortable. Instead, sing to Him when you're alone, before or after you pray. And feel free to make up your on songs. For examples for your prayers and/or songs, read chapters in the Book of Psalms. This will help you come up with your own prayers and songs, based on a variety of circumstances. And always start off your prayer(s) with a praise or blessing to God, i.e. "Thank you Father for your undying mercy", or "God, your grace is sufficient."

Hopefully this helps.

Upvote 0

EphesiaNZ

It's me! Who else could it be...
Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

I've been going to church a few months now and at first was very conscious how I sounded around others when singing - doesn't help if you don't know the tunes either!

My advice is just go for it, no one will notice :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

New_Believer

May 6, 2011
Washington
✟16,144.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have the same problem with singing. I've never been able to sing out loud. But the above posters seem to have a point. It's just a matter of actually doing it. Let us know if you are able to overcome this. I might be trying it myself. I mean we can do anything with God.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OH!! I know what you mean!

I'm a very shy person, but I've been breaking out of my shell for the past 17 years very slowly!!!! VERY SLOWLY!

I used to be teased by my sister when we were growing up whenever I would sing and it really left me self-conscious even though I have a pretty voice.

Well, when I started attending the congregation I go to now (10 years ago), I felt very odd singing out loud because it's not a big church and not everyone sings loudly. But, I love to sing so I joined the choir. I started off singing very softly, then I heard how some of the people in the choir sang out as if they didn't care who heard. Because they didn't. They love to sing.

In the past 2 years I've become that person who sings out loudly. Because I love to sing. Now I'm the choir director of our youth and adult choirs. I could never imagine myself in those vocations many years ago, but now it's so comfortable for me to sing. I even do solos at church without getting all nervous about it.

It takes time to build up a good comfort level and to gain confidence. Do it with baby steps. :) God gave you that voice, now go and own it!

Reactions: who93
Upvote 0

True2Terri

Apr 6, 2011
✟7,648.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Good question. I'm real curious about this too, as I'm new to the faith, so I have a hard time raising my voice while praising the Lord. A quick google search turned up some other boards where this question had been asked, and the general consensus is that what matters is what's in your heart, not how loud your voice is. However, none of those statements were backed up with scripture. Does anyone have any quotes from the good book that will help Emily and me with this predicament?

Last Sunday, I sat next to a woman in church who is well-known in the congregation for all of the teaching she does and how close to God she is. (And I believe it! She has helped me very much in my own spiritual journey. She is very trustworthy because she is genuine in the love she has for God and is eager to spread His love!)

In any case, this is a woman whom I thought would definitely being singing OUT LOUD to profess her love, yet she just sang very quietly. But do I think she's any less closer to God than she was before? NO. God knows what's in her heart and what's in the heart of all of us, so I don't think it matters how loud we sing. Or if we sing at all. I have had a hard time bringing myself to this, as well, but I still hold God very highly in my heart.

Upvote 0

True2Terri

Apr 6, 2011
✟7,648.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I've been going to church a few months now and at first was very conscious how I sounded around others when singing - doesn't help if you don't know the tunes either!

My advice is just go for it, no one will notice :)

That was also one of my problems...not knowing the hymn! So I just listen the first I hear a particular hymn, and then join in the next time we sing it. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The one thing you should be concerned about with the singing is whether or not you can honestly mean what you're singing. That shouldn't consume you, but it's something to watch as you sing. It's a big part of why I prefer songs that focus on God himself rather than songs that declare my love for God. I do love him, but the bar set in those songs is pretty high.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't sing, I just kinda mouth the words when I think someone might be watching.
You can do this in earnest, because you can focus on the words instead of what people are thinking. If it will make you comfortable, go ahead. If you feel fake, then do what it takes to make your expression real.
Some choir friends used to joke about singing "watermelonwatermelon" whenever they forgot words. I supposed it's not much different.
The one thing you should be concerned about with the singing is whether or not you can honestly mean what you're singing.

Upvote 0

who93

Jul 28, 2007
✟15,864.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OH!! I know what you mean!

I'm a very shy person, but I've been breaking out of my shell for the past 17 years very slowly!!!! VERY SLOWLY!

I used to be teased by my sister when we were growing up whenever I would sing and it really left me self-conscious even though I have a pretty voice.

Well, when I started attending the congregation I go to now (10 years ago), I felt very odd singing out loud because it's not a big church and not everyone sings loudly. But, I love to sing so I joined the choir. I started off singing very softly, then I heard how some of the people in the choir sang out as if they didn't care who heard. Because they didn't. They love to sing.

In the past 2 years I've become that person who sings out loudly. Because I love to sing. Now I'm the choir director of our youth and adult choirs. I could never imagine myself in those vocations many years ago, but now it's so comfortable for me to sing. I even do solos at church without getting all nervous about it.

It takes time to build up a good comfort level and to gain confidence. Do it with baby steps. :) God gave you that voice, now go and own it!

What a wonderful story! God bless!

Upvote 0